ST1080 Compatibility

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: ST1080 Compatibility

Post by WiredEarp »

It will be ugly. But we expected that. It will probably still be more immersive than 3/4 of the same FOV.

Kind of makes you want the Rift to be out already tho, doesn't it. I mean, all this money, just for the same crappy low FOV, even tho there is all that resolution to be used in providing more definition.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Let's get some perspective here. A year ago we were ok with a 800x600 display and we were jumping up and down just thinking about a 720 display. Now we are nitpicking about upscaling to 1080. Let's give SMD a little credit. They really delivered a great product.
djmackj
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by djmackj »

Agreed brantlew! I've only been looking at HMDs for a year and even so I feel like this is a huge breakthrough in the technology! SMD as a company deserves a lot of kudos for their innovation and for their accountability to their customers. I love Apple products and I think it is a great company but honestly if they made this product and didn't have scaling, not only would they probably not even admit to that for a long time but their response to the issue with new software may not come for months and with hardware for at least a year (iphone 4 antenna issue anyone?)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@brantlew: Yes, you are right. SMD still deserves credit for coming this far. They still have a decent product, and I hope it does well.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

A year ago we were ok with a 800x600 display
I'd be happy with even 640x480 resolution if I could get a decent FOV.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”