Nvidia 3D Vision or Zalman monitor

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
ionone
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Nvidia 3D Vision or Zalman monitor

Post by ionone »

i'm also new to 3D and for what i've read, i'll go Nvidia 3D Vision. Why ? mainly because i want a 120 hz display monitor to watch movies. Coupled with the plugin Reclock, bybye stuffttering during playback. Man, it hurts everytime i watch a movie and there are panscaped transitions, i stutters so much my eye bleeds. :D

that plus, for me the 3D Vision technology is the best available, i'm not in for the Zalman passive techno.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

That is really funny to read someone so sensitive to this very small stuttering caused by 24Hz->60Hz conversion not being bothered at all with the one caused by 120Hz frame sequential 3D displays (to which the passive Zalman technology is immune).
I just prey very strong for you to never ever see a panscaped shot in 3D on your 3D vision display or I can assure you you will switch back to 2D instantly.

Knowing a bit about 3D, I can definitely assure you 3D vision is not the best. It's good and has great value for money, but it is not the best.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
wnielsenbb
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by wnielsenbb »

Have to agree some, you are still getting the same 60 Hz of the Zalman, the 120Hz is divided per eye. I, however, don't believe the shutterglasses are going to make it any worse. You could probably run the Zalman at 48 Hz for movies. That might not work well with shutterglasses I think. Fortunatly movie makers know about such things and avoid panning mostly. Not sure what the reclock thing is but I would worry about it messing up the 3D sync.
Warren.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

The zalman image is always in sync because the images sent to it is l+r interleaved in one frame which isn't the case using 3d-vision where l and r is sent alternatingly. The frequency is 120Hz using 3d-vision but i can even be disturbed by the slight framelag which occurs in a real-d cinema using a circular polarized projector (144Hz). It's especially noticed during fastpaced scenes or pannings like Blackshark describes. The only backside with the zalman should be the narrow horisontal viewing angle and of course the halved resolution in 3d. Inspite these backdrops it actually seems like the zalman still is a very good hardware inspite its age.
Nonethless: 3d vision gives good value for the money and i think you'll be happy with it as well.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
ionone
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ionone »

wnielsenbb wrote: Not sure what the reclock thing is but I would worry about it messing up the 3D sync.
Warren.
reclock shift the playback of movies to match the framerate of the monitor. If you own a 60hz monitor, only 30fps movies (TV) would look ok on your screen. Only 120 hz monitors are a multiple of 24, 25 and 30 fps.

What reclock does is for example for movies at 23.976fps to slightly play the image and the sound faster to match 24 fps and to align with the 120 hz. The difference between non sync and synced vid is amazing. I see stutterring evey time the camera pans, and i really hates it, unfortunately i'll be able to have a 120hz monitor only until xmas... :(
ionone
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ionone »

wnielsenbb wrote: You could probably run the Zalman at 48 Hz for movies.
if you can do this i buy a Zalman !
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I just tested it out and the Zalman does *NOT* work at 48Hz. From what I can tell the only officially supported refresh rates are 60Hz and 59Hz.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”