Unreal Engine 3 DX11 - Universal Fix

Blacksmith60
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Unreal Engine 3 DX11 - Universal Fix

Post by Blacksmith60 »

The first time I really noticed different surface reflections, was when Masterotaku updated his Skyrim SE fix so there is 2 alternative toggleable water reflections, the original was rendered in depht, and the update on the surface.
At first glance I was very impressed by the update with surface reflections and actually found it realistic, but after a while I realized it was eye trickery and the most realistic and impressive was in depht.

That experience taught me to value these small but highly effective details, so yes I do notice these details, and has learned to appreciate them very much :)
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

It truly amazes me that you shaderhackers can even begin to fix some of these complex shaders or that the coders were even able to make the tools to do so.

I've only recently began to play newer games, so I can't really comment on too much. I'm looking forward to giving your Borderlands 3 fix a try once I get to the
game. I just finished Pre-sequel and plan to play BL2 soon.I know that the fixes to Ryse were awesome and I imagine that it was one of the games that you speak
0f, due to that weird issue in the hallway.

I'm looking forward to giving your Borderlands 3 fix a try, once I get to the game. I just finished Pre-sequel and plan to play BL2 soon.

Those ungodly god rays in your Sniper Elite fix were greatly appreciated. The one thing about stereoscopic gaming that I personally love, is stopping to smell the roses.
You coders and shaderhackers allow us to appreciate every nuance of the game and to fully see the love that a developer put into coding an asset or effect.

When playing 2D games, I seldom stop and appreciate what is being rendered in front of me to consume the essence of a game. Stereoscopic gaming opens the
window into the soul of a game intricacies.
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

Blacksmith60 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:15 pm The first time I really noticed different surface reflections, was when Masterotaku updated his Skyrim SE fix so there is 2 alternative toggleable water reflections, the original was rendered in depht, and the update on the surface.
At first glance I was very impressed by the update with surface reflections and actually found it realistic, but after a while I realized it was eye trickery and the most realistic and impressive was in depht.

That experience taught me to value these small but highly effective details, so yes I do notice these details, and has learned to appreciate them very much :)
Dito. I wanted to play Metro Exodus weeks ago and noticed that reflections at surface depth. So i decided to look again in refixing the game. Its much more impressive when i finished up. Im working on the hud fix now and than release a more immersive Metro Exodus fix. Realistic reflections is something i dont want to miss in games since once seen.
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

240558549_10159734953157022_283965013138204549_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Share our love for stereoscopic gaming in VR
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... /playlists :anaglyph
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... 5lw/videos :anaglyph
֍ Win 10:21H1 ֍ 251.48 ֍ RTX2080 ֍ i9 9900k ֍ Benq1070 ֍ Samsung S27A950D, Odyssey+ ֍ LG 49UF8509 ֍ FujifilmW3 ֍
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

DJ-RK wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:34 pm I find fixing these particularly challenging because what's correct often doesn't look like it. For example, a reflective surface that is not being viewed straight on WILL often yield a different looking reflection in each eye (as they do IRL)...
3DNovice wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:41 pm Could you list some of the games to scrutinize these issues.

Ok, so not a game, but THIS...
Lizzard wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:12 pm 240558549_10159734953157022_283965013138204549_n.jpg
... demonstrates what I'm talking about perfectly. Really cool pic there Lizzard!
My Killer 3D Gaming System Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5600x | GPU: GTX 2080 TI | Mobo: MSI x570 MAG Tomahawk | RAM: 4x8GB GSkill Triden Neo 3600Mhz | Cooling: Arctic Freezer II 280mm | Storage: OS on WB Black NVME M.2, various other SSDs & HDDs | Displays: Asus ROG Swift PG278QR, Optoma UHD50 | VR HMD: Oculus Quest 2 | Controller: Razer Wolverine Ultimate | Keyboard: Logitech G910 | Mouse: Razer Naga Trinity | Driving wheel: Logitech G27 | Flight sticks: TM Warthog / T16000M | Throttle: TM TWCS | Pedals: TM TFRP | Chair: DX Racer
Performance results here

My Paypal or send to rshannonca@gmail.com <-- For those that would like to show extra appreciation and support for my fixes
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Ughh, that picture is a mess, is it from a game? Whats up with the aspect ratio, was it cropped using DarkStarSword's crop tool?
Which has recently had some type of update, according to github.
https://github.com/DarkStarSword/StereoCropper

BTW, no idea if it helps, but DSS talks about a Unreal 3 issue that he had with Life is Strange about AllowNvidiaStereo3d=True
https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/ue3-3 ... sues/20047
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

3DNovice wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:45 pm Ughh, that picture is a mess, is it from a game?
I follow a page on facebook called Stereogram 3D: https://www.facebook.com/groups/72392414234/

You need to make the pic like really small (ctrl + roll middle mouse wheel). Otherwise its impossible to get convergence. On FB they are usually like 4 times smaller. I understood what DJ-RK was referring to when he explained it. Reflections are a bitch even in reality. Especially on curved surfaces. I've noticed this personally and such things became less distracting in games when I understood the "physics" behind it. Almost like white light that splits up through a prism. Our eyes cant have the same perspective when light/reflections bounces of curved surface. So there truly is no silver bullet.

This was the very first type of 3d illusion I would assume most here saw (stereograms). It was simply an attempt from someone to make a custom stereogram by combining 2 perspectives manually. Ive done the same thing in keyshot which you can see in the intro of my one video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxPxAz3ptZo&t=1166s

Ive also made one for HelixVision. But I was aiming to try and make a stereoscopic animation similar to the nVidia logo that was made in Batman Arkham City's intro. I have experience in CAD but none in game development. If this was achievable it might catch more people's attention.
Share our love for stereoscopic gaming in VR
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... /playlists :anaglyph
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... 5lw/videos :anaglyph
֍ Win 10:21H1 ֍ 251.48 ֍ RTX2080 ֍ i9 9900k ֍ Benq1070 ֍ Samsung S27A950D, Odyssey+ ֍ LG 49UF8509 ֍ FujifilmW3 ֍
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Thanks for the follow up, interesting.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

All Bioshock games on sale, for those interested. Just in time.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/bioshock/
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Odd, looking at this BioShock video in 3rd person and it seems obvious that the world was rendered to a 3rd person camera,
then shifted to just show the First Person view upon release.

No wonder why the hands and world converge at different rates. It's too bad that there is no solution, I can somewhat grasp
what is being said about it borking platforming and interactions if a work around is used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RauuxLQCA0I

BTW, this game sucks, crashes way too often, despite trying numerous solutions as mentioned in the Steam forums and across
the web. Note: not blaming the fix, this is an issue in 2D for many people. The only real solution seems to be playing it windowed in 2D.
Window notification pop ups caused a few, so I turned those all off. Then the Steam Client update pop up crashed me, lol

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: Hmmm....

It seems that you can patch the executable to use more than it's 2GB Ram and that fixes the majority of the crashes. I was playing at
1440P, so perhaps this was the culprit. Dunno.

Solution here, use at your own risk
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1817167777 / https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Oops, I forgot Submerged is UE4 and what's interesting is that DSS had a protoype/WIP/proof of concept
to render submerged using UE4's VR renderer with 3DVision Direct Mode. I had forgot about this, I guess
it never went anywhere.
harisukro
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by harisukro »

DJ-RK forgot to ad to the list "Bulletstorm Full Clip edition".
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

3DNovice wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:26 pm Oops, I forgot Submerged is UE4
Ahh, good to know I can take that one off the to-do list...
harisukro wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:04 pm DJ-RK forgot to ad to the list "Bulletstorm Full Clip edition".
... and then add this one right back onto the list, there. :lol:

I didn't forget to add this to the list so much as I forgot this game exists, let alone forgot that it got the remaster treatment there harisukro, but indeed the Steam page seems to confirm it should be a likely candidate so nice find there, and thanks for making the report.

Have you tried using the tool on the game yet, and are you able to report on if the fix works?

Fortunately I was able to find this on a key site for dirt cheap, so I'll eventually get around to checking it myself, but it would be great to have an actual user report on the tool's efficacy outside of my own testing. :mrgreen:
CPU: Ryzen 5600x | GPU: GTX 2080 TI | Mobo: MSI x570 MAG Tomahawk | RAM: 4x8GB GSkill Triden Neo 3600Mhz | Cooling: Arctic Freezer II 280mm | Storage: OS on WB Black NVME M.2, various other SSDs & HDDs | Displays: Asus ROG Swift PG278QR, Optoma UHD50 | VR HMD: Oculus Quest 2 | Controller: Razer Wolverine Ultimate | Keyboard: Logitech G910 | Mouse: Razer Naga Trinity | Driving wheel: Logitech G27 | Flight sticks: TM Warthog / T16000M | Throttle: TM TWCS | Pedals: TM TFRP | Chair: DX Racer
Performance results here

My Paypal or send to rshannonca@gmail.com <-- For those that would like to show extra appreciation and support for my fixes
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

DJ-RK wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:22 pm it would be great to have an actual user report on the tool's efficacy outside of my own testing.
For the heck of it, I tried using dgVooDoo 2 to make Alice Madness returns run in dx11. MSI confirmed dx11
status, but sadly the issues were not fixed. I know it was wishful thinking! No harm in trying :P

I imagine that the shader structure is too different for your tool to pick them up.
Much like helixmod needed PS2 to PS3 shader model conversion to work on old games, "Risen" is a classic example.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

3DNovice wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:32 pm For the heck of it, I tried using dgVooDoo 2 to make Alice Madness returns run in dx11. MSI confirmed dx11
status, but sadly the issues were not fixed. I know it was wishful thinking! No harm in trying :P
I'm sure I've said the saying "great minds think alike" to you before, but allow me to say it again!

Not to get your hopes up too high this time though, because no, I haven't tried that, but I was at least thinking about using dg2voodoo to do a dx9 to dx11 conversion on a UE3 game and seeing what the shaders look like, and then possibly adding appropriate translation regexes to the tool. I've held off mostly because of my recollection on previously attempting to use dg2voodoo on Borderlands 2, and it causing a lot of artifacts (I remember many surfaces being pink). Did you happen to notice any additional artifacts on Alice Madness running in DX11 vs running it in DX9 mode without a fix?
Performance results here

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

I can say that starting Alice Madness Returns in 3D crashes during the initial start in 3D because
Spicy Horse (developer) uses a default setting of AllowNvidiaStereo3d=True, this need to be false upon the initial launch
or anytime that the AliceEngine.ini is reaquired.

Of course Dynamic shadows are borked, but they can be disabled in the game settings. They were enabled during my dump, also
some scattering/volumetric fog issues.

I can't say if it caused more issues, I do not think so, but I only was in the house and first alleyway. masterotaku
has used it in numerous fixes, you could ask him for tips and issues.

Game of Thrones is another Unreal 3 dx9 game that is now broken it seems, but I'm not sure since I haven't looked into it too much.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2087 ... f_Thrones/

Oh yah, btw I now recall what you mean about AllowNvidiaStereo3d=True supposedly fixing some things in game. I can see the shader
code contains a section for stereo correction if this is set to true. But in this game, that doesn't seem to help with anything.

Such as
// float NvStereoEnabled;
// sampler2D NvStereoFixTexture;

Added a dump file if it helps,
Dumps.zip
EDIT: these are dx9 dumps, not dgVooDoo/dx11 dumps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

As far as the original fix for this game, it only fixes the hud/crosshair and doesn't adress
shadows or fog. I suppose back then, the game worked better in 3D, since I do not see any disabled effects (AFAIK).

I was looking at the Lua scripts, trying to figure out how to use them, but unfortunately, this is not my forte.

I did see it discussed in the comments for Dishonored and Mars War Logs on the blog, in case the dgVooDoo 2
approach does not work and you want to pursue a dx9 fix.
Dpa3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dpa3D »

Thank you for this fix, it's great to see the new Mass Effect in 3D :o

[Edit] Problem resolved.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”