Mass Effect 1/2/3 Remastered! Wow...

DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Mass Effect 1/2/3 Remastered! Wow...

Post by DJ-RK »

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Even though everyone has reassured me that I'm free to take my time here, since my previously projected ETA has since come and passed I wanted to give an update.

I did some work on Thursday and Friday. Thursday namely was getting the HUD worked out, and I managed to get an autodepth crosshair and 3D in-world interaction icons working, and then I started looking at reflections and specular highlights on metallic surfaces while still inside the Normandy, which brought a disappointing discovery. Unfortunately, this Remaster is feeling very much like a simple texture upgrade, because speculars and reflections are baked right into the textures themselves, rather than being calculated separately by individual shaders. Basically, this game is still using old rendering techniques, which is as disappointing to discover as it is limiting. Fortunately, it is still possible to adjust those reflections and speculars, but unfortunately they may as well not be as they are proving to be conflicting with one another, that fixing reflections causes speculars to be floating off a surface rather being "inside" the surface, and vice versa. Still investigating whether this can be accounted for and handled separately from one another. If not, then at the very least, by default, both reflections and speculars are at surface depth, and although that's not realistic looking, it's less visually displeasing and probably better than having some things look perfect and others be broken.

On Friday I went out on Eden Prime, saw the first body of water, which have screenspace reflections on the surface. These seem to be fairly similar in code to the previously mentioned reflections/speculars, but unlike the others, these are very broken looking by default and will require fixes. I've managed to find some "good enough" solutions here, but I'm still investigating to find the best solution for both here, and hopefully elsewhere, but I'm a bit worried that this might not be something I can do via regex for various reasons, which will definitely slow down progress on the final release of the fix.

That's where my work ended, as it was a Canadian long weekend and I was preoccupied with having my (understanding and patient) girlfriend over the whole weekend (whom sat and watched me work on my Ryse fix most of the previous weekend, and probably would have castrated me if I did the same thing this weekend :lol:). I decided I wasn't willing to put up a WIP until I can get something to my satisfaction worked out with those reflections.

Today I've been trying to get back into the working groove, but I've been home all day and still have yet to fire up the game. To be honest, I'm feeling a bit demotivated and disappointed that this game is literally just a fresh coat of paint thrown on, and not quite as impressive of a remaster as they were making this out to be. I really wish they could have updated the game to use some more advanced lighting and rendering techniques. So far the game looks flat to me... and knowing that I've got that mess with reflections to contend with on my return doesn't help excite me either. I think maybe I should just try playing for a bit tonight (and ignoring the reflections for now) just to get myself a little more invested into it and hopefully have my opinion changed, and then come back and try fixing the issue tomorrow.

tl;dr: Did some work last week, got stuck on fixing reflections, took the long weekend off, and procrastinating today because first game impressions are a bit disappointing.
My Killer 3D Gaming System Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5600x | GPU: GTX 2080 TI | Mobo: MSI x570 MAG Tomahawk | RAM: 4x8GB GSkill Triden Neo 3600Mhz | Cooling: Arctic Freezer II 280mm | Storage: OS on WB Black NVME M.2, various other SSDs & HDDs | Displays: Asus ROG Swift PG278QR, Optoma UHD50 | VR HMD: Oculus Quest 2 | Controller: Razer Wolverine Ultimate | Keyboard: Logitech G910 | Mouse: Razer Naga Trinity | Driving wheel: Logitech G27 | Flight sticks: TM Warthog / T16000M | Throttle: TM TWCS | Pedals: TM TFRP | Chair: DX Racer
Performance results here

My Paypal or send to rshannonca@gmail.com <-- For those that would like to show extra appreciation and support for my fixes
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Thanks DJ, hope you persist to the end for this classic :)
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
Blacksmith60
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Blacksmith60 »

These games shines in so many ways, except the screenspace reflections perhaps :)

But I know you can get the best out of it, so please keep up the spirit !
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Thanks for your patience everyone. Hot off the press, just in time for the weekend is my first WIP.

I've only played as far as reaching the Citadel, so this is unverified to be complete beyond this point in Mass Effect 1, or to even work in either ME: 2 or 3 (I haven't tested it yet, and doing so would only delay me getting this in your hands sooner), but all graphical issues up to this point have been fixed. Specular highlights, as previously mentioned, are a bit of a challenge still at this point. There is a fix in place for many surfaces, but unfortunately some surfaces found later flicker with the fix in place so this has been disabled by default for now (and speculars will be at surface depth) until I can hopefully find the best solution here.

Fixed:
-Halo distortions on various effects
-Lighting/shadows - Directional lighting, point lighting, dynamic shadows during cutscenes
-Screenspace reflections
-Specular highlights on water surfaces, and some metallic surfaces (disabled by default, can be enabled via the ' key)
-God rays & lens flares

User Interface:
-3D crosshair and in-world interaction icons (enabled by default. can be disabled via ctrl + ] keys)
-Convergence preset for during gameplay, can be cycled through 4 values via [ key.
-Cutscenes will revert back to the driver default convergence value (set to 50 in the .ini). Either adjust the .ini value or during a cutscene adjust your convergence and save the value to the driver using the Nvidia hotkey. Or, you can still use the [ key during cutscenes, it just will not remember this value after the cutscene plays. I may set up another key to select different cutscene preset values later, or maybe I might have another little idea entirely here.... 8-)
-Automatic convergence transitions can be disabled via ctrl + [ keys
-Disable HUD via \ key
-Adjustable HUD depth via ] key
-Lens flares can be disabled via the ; key
-Depth of field during cutscenes & conversations can be disabled via ctrl + ; keys

Fix can be downloaded: here

Installation: Extract the zip into each specific game's Win64 folder. So for Mass Effect 1, the fix installation path is: ..\Mass Effect Legendary Edition\Game\ME1\Binaries\Win64\, and for Mass Effect 2 and 3 you'll have to install to each one's respective Win64 folder. (assuming the fix is universal across all 3 games, which is likely, but not yet tested)

Enjoy, and given the early nature of this release all feedback and bug reports are welcome and appreciated. :D
MassEffect1028_085.jpg
MassEffect1024_085.jpg
MassEffect1022_085.jpg
MassEffect1019_085.jpg
MassEffect1018_085.jpg
MassEffect1015_085.jpg
MassEffect1011_085.jpg
MassEffect1009_085.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DJ-RK on Fri May 28, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CPU: Ryzen 5600x | GPU: GTX 2080 TI | Mobo: MSI x570 MAG Tomahawk | RAM: 4x8GB GSkill Triden Neo 3600Mhz | Cooling: Arctic Freezer II 280mm | Storage: OS on WB Black NVME M.2, various other SSDs & HDDs | Displays: Asus ROG Swift PG278QR, Optoma UHD50 | VR HMD: Oculus Quest 2 | Controller: Razer Wolverine Ultimate | Keyboard: Logitech G910 | Mouse: Razer Naga Trinity | Driving wheel: Logitech G27 | Flight sticks: TM Warthog / T16000M | Throttle: TM TWCS | Pedals: TM TFRP | Chair: DX Racer
Performance results here

My Paypal or send to rshannonca@gmail.com <-- For those that would like to show extra appreciation and support for my fixes
TonyMontana
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TonyMontana »

Thank You very much for this early release and the effort, DJ-RK!

Now we can enjoy those amazing games not only as impressive remaster, but with an even more impressive 3DV-Fix! What a time to be alive! :woot :woot :woot
:shutter 3D Vision Surround user since 2010 :shutter
msm903
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by msm903 »

DJ-RK thank you for taking the time and the great work.
xabarih wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:15 pm for some reason my game crashes when I start it in 3d
xabarih did you ever get this resolved?

I have a similar problem the games Freeze whenever i try tyo start any of the actual versions in 3D. Freezes on the laodign screen right after selecting the version for me.

This happens right out of the box with or without DJ-RK's amazing fix.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Ooooh, but this is good, GOOOOOD! :woot
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

msm903 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:53 am DJ-RK thank you for taking the time and the great work.
xabarih wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:15 pm for some reason my game crashes when I start it in 3d

I have a similar problem the games Freeze whenever i try tyo start any of the actual versions in 3D. Freezes on the laodign screen right after selecting the version for me.

Which driver are you using and how you have installed it??? Is the global driver hack enabled in case you are using a driver later 425.31 ???
Tullebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tullebob »

Screenshots look amazing, DJ-RK! Thank you for your work on this!
3D Vision rig -> 8700k oc 4.9, asus rog 2080ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz ram, Win 7 running driver 425.31 on SSD1, Win 10 running driver 452.06 on SSD2, Win 10 running latest Nvidia driver for Vulkan3dV and 2D gaming on SSD3, for 3d vision display: 1080p on VG248QE (and sometimes 1440p on PG278PR), Valve Index or Optoma UHD42 projector
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

splendid last pic :)
msm903
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by msm903 »

Losti wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:37 am
msm903 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:53 am DJ-RK thank you for taking the time and the great work.

Which driver are you using and how you have installed it??? Is the global driver hack enabled in case you are using a driver later 425.31 ???
Thank you very much. Losti You are a life saver. Toggling on the global driver hack fixed my issue.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

msm903 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:56 pm
Losti wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:37 am

Thank you very much. Losti You are a life saver. Toggling on the global driver hack fixed my issue.
Glad you got yourself sorted, and cheers to Losti for quickly stepping up and helping out! No doubt he's quick to identify the issue thanks to all the help he's given people over these past couple years or so! Also, Losti has been very eager to offer his assistance with this fix, and certainly would have graciously added yet another fix to his impressive collection had I not already mentioned that I would like to work on this project myself. Just wanted to publicly acknowledge and thank him for his tireless efforts in the community.
Performance results here

Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

+1
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Hey everyone, just a small update for now on my general fixing progress since things got a little quiet for me on the fixing front lately. I've mostly been spending my time and focus on some other DIY projects and designing some 3D prints these past couple weeks, but I'm mostly finished up with those and I did manage to squeeze in a little time to look more at XCom 2 and ME:L when I had the chance. I still have a bit more work to do on the user interface for XCom 2 before a release will be ready, but I do have an update for ME:L to address the fact that ME3 crashes on launch with the previous version. It's actually a very tiny change, really, just a deletion of one line from the d3dx.ini file, so you don't really need to download this update if a) you're not even playing ME3 yet, or b) you'd rather just edit the d3dx.ini file yourself.

For those that would rather edit the d3dx.ini: delete or comment out line 37, which contains: "include = ShaderFixes\mouse.ini".

For anyone else that needs it, here is the update: https://www.mediafire.com/file/jerj4jyt ... WIP1_1.zip

It's not recommended for anyone playing on KB+M to update until you're actually ready to play ME3, because currently the mouse.ini file is used to have the mouse cursor line up with the other HUD elements. This update will remove that because unfortunately something in the mouse.ini file is causing the game to crash on the title screen. Not sure how I'll resolve that situation, but I'm a long way off from ME3 before I need to address it.

On another note, ME2 loaded up fine with the fix, however the lens flare on the title screen is at screen depth, and as soon as you press any button it goes away until you exit the game and relaunch, so it's extremely tedious to try to fix at this point, and I'm not really in the mood to load up a new game in ME2 (while I'm still at the beginning of ME1) to have to play far enough until I find a broken lensflare. On that note, very few people have made any indication that anyone has even bought this game, so I'm not sensing that there's any urgency in me having to play the games out of sequence and to fix that ASAP, so I'm just going to return to my ME1 playthrough at this point and continue playing/fixing this at my own pace (hopefully everything else is fine and I just need to power through my playthrough). If anyone finds anything that's particularly bad or gamebreaking later, then let me know and we'll work something out since I don't want anyone to have to halt their progress to wait on the next/final release, but if I don't hear as such I'll assume my previous assumption is correct and/or everything is fine ahead of where I am in my progression (aside from that lensflare) and there's no rush.
Performance results here

skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Post by skyrimer »

Thanks for the update, and yeah I plan to play the game but I'm in the middle of a Watch Dogs Legion play so not in a hurry, so at least imho just relax and fix this at your own pace, even if it takes months, there's no hurry :)
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

I just wait until its finished. I currently playing other rpgs this while. I want to play the games in a row and not try to fix issues while playing thati do too often and this afflicts the immersion. So i am Happy that you are fixing this one for us. Thanks a Lot.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Yeah, same here, I will play this trilogy for sure because I've never played ME and know it's great, but it will be months into the future. So from my perspective - take your time, enjoy the games and when the fix arrives, I'll be super happy it's there waiting for me :)
thebigdogma
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by thebigdogma »

Agree with the two "L's" above!
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

I've actually just started the first game, and so far it looks truly great, not many games can compete with these, IMO BioWare's best...

I'm a slow player, particular when playing rpg's, so just take your time :)
Onemanstanding
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Onemanstanding »

Thanks also DJ-RK for taking another look at XCOM 2.
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

Just wanted to report a minor issue with reflections seen on Normandy / medical dep., along the wall there's some vent. pipes where the reflections flicker alot only in 3D.

Otherwise a truly great game and fix - thanks again :woot
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Blacksmith60 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:42 am Otherwise a truly great game and fix - thanks again :woot
May I suggest posting a screenshot with any observed issues and - if possible- a savegame? I think it would greatly help with fixing.
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

Well, I thought I would be fairly easy to find the medical dep. on Normandy ;)

And flickering can be hard to see in a screenshot - but it actually shows that they render in mono and flicker is caused by a constant eye change...
MassEffect1001_085.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

MassEffect1004_085.jpg
An issue found on the Citadel, save and screenshot provided :)

Edit: I can't upload the save, even after changing the extension to jpg ?
Z31Turbo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Z31Turbo »

Blacksmith60 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:50 am Well, I thought I would be fairly easy to find the medical dep. on Normandy ;)

And flickering can be hard to see in a screenshot - but it actually shows that they render in mono and flicker is caused by a constant eye change...
With the mod installed, press ' (I think)to change the specular convergence to 0% and it will remove the flickering. It's not so bad in ME1, but in ME2 the flickering happens all over the place so changing this is pretty crucial I found.

ME2 and ME3 work really well once this setting is changed, however lens flares are messed up and pretty distracting, increasing the convergence of the whole scene I found pushes them out of view and aren't as distracting. The only other major issue is the hud sprites for interacting with objects don't appear at the correct depths. Coincidentally when I first played ME2 back in the day, I had no idea of 3d vision fixes and this is pretty much exactly how I remember playing it so I don't mind it being broken. It's still a glorious game in 3d. Just wish they actually optimized the game, my fps constantly jumps from 40 to 120 which is really distracting.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Thanks for the reports Blacksmith. Fortunately I'm already aware of both of those issues, and they're already resolved.

The flickering is unfortunately the result of my specular highlight fix on some surfaces, and is the reason I intended to have disabled that... I say intended because I THOUGHT I had disabled that by default in the WIP's, but it turns out I left one parameter un-restored to the default state. You can currently resolve that issue by pressing the ' key (if you're in a region that has that key on your keyboard) to set the specular depth to 0% (on screen text will tell you when you're at 0%).

The other issue is a typical halo that managed to get past my regexes undetected/unfixed, and I had already picked up and discovered during my own playthrough (I'm just a little bit ahead of you, I just left the Citadel and am now finally exploring the universe), so my own current build already has that fixed, but it's not in the last WIP I posted. I was going to wait a little bit before putting out another update (to try to avoid having to put out yet another update if/when I find anymore random stuff), but since you're playing alongside me I'll go ahead and put together another build later today with my current additional fixes, so you don't have to keep seeing that while you're playing errand-boy for all the people on the Citadel. ;)
Performance results here

DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Z31Turbo wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:15 pm
Blacksmith60 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:50 am Well, I thought I would be fairly easy to find the medical dep. on Normandy ;)

With the mod installed, press ' (I think)to change the specular convergence to 0% and it will remove the flickering. It's not so bad in ME1, but in ME2 the flickering happens all over the place so changing this is pretty crucial I found.

ME2 and ME3 work really well once this setting is changed, however lens flares are messed up and pretty distracting, increasing the convergence of the whole scene I found pushes them out of view and aren't as distracting. The only other major issue is the hud sprites for interacting with objects don't appear at the correct depths. Coincidentally when I first played ME2 back in the day, I had no idea of 3d vision fixes and this is pretty much exactly how I remember playing it so I don't mind it being broken. It's still a glorious game in 3d. Just wish they actually optimized the game, my fps constantly jumps from 40 to 120 which is really distracting.
Ahhh, you beat me to it. Thanks, and spot on. I'm glad that you were able to figure out the solution to the flickering on your own.

Thanks for also confirming the state of ME2/3. I'll try to see if I can get the lens flares sorted out ASAP. If you could manage to provide me with a savegame that brings me to a broken lensflare that would be helpful.
Performance results here

Z31Turbo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Z31Turbo »

DJ-RK wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:23 pm
Z31Turbo wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:15 pm

Ahhh, you beat me to it. Thanks, and spot on. I'm glad that you were able to figure out the solution to the flickering on your own.

Thanks for also confirming the state of ME2/3. I'll try to see if I can get the lens flares sorted out ASAP. If you could manage to provide me with a savegame that brings me to a broken lensflare that would be helpful.
Here you go, have an endgame save :)

They really gave ME2 and 3 the JJ Abrams treatment, lens flares are everywhere! The best examples though are to just open the galaxy map on the Normandy, every star and mass relay has one.

Thank you for all your hard work DJ!
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Excellent. Thanks for providing that so quickly! With that in hand now I'll see if I can get that sorted out for the build I post up later today.
Performance results here

Z31Turbo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Z31Turbo »

DJ-RK wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:50 pm Excellent. Thanks for providing that so quickly! With that in hand now I'll see if I can get that sorted out for the build I post up later today.
You're amazing!
Z31Turbo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Z31Turbo »

You know, I just realized the save files might require the whole folder structure for the game to actually see it so here is the whole thing, just load up any save on the Normandy.

\Documents\Bioware\Mass Effect Legendary Edition\Save\ME2
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Z31Turbo wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:04 pm You know, I just realized the save files might require the whole folder structure for the game to actually see it so here is the whole thing, just load up any save on the Normandy.

\Documents\Bioware\Mass Effect Legendary Edition\Save\ME2
You're right, but wasn't a problem. I forgot I had some save files from my ME2 playthrough I started on the OG versions. I copied the folder from my old save over, and then dropped your save into my folder and was able to load it up NP.

So yeah, I'm already done with my updates, and I think we're good. Here's the changelog:

-Specular depth now properly set to 0% (eliminates flickering)
-Some additional halos fixed
-Lens flares in ME2 (and likely ME3) are now at correct stereo depth. These can also now be toggled off using the same key that worked for ME1 lens flares
-ME2 crosshair and interaction reticles are now at stereo depth
-A low convergence preset when viewing the galaxy map in ME2

As far as I'm aware that should resolve all remaining issues, so reports of any further findings are greatly appreciated.

Download WIP 2.1 here

For Mass Effect 3, I've included an additional file named "d3dx - ME3.ini". When you extract the fix into the appropriate ME3 folder, delete the d3dx.ini file, and rename the d3dx - ME3.ini to d3dx.ini.

Oh, one thing that I've observed about the fix which I'll mention now is that it seems that reflections run at a lower framefrate than the game, so they kinda stutter when panning the camera. That's an engine imposed limitation, so not much I can do about those. A shame, really, because those are the only reflections that are at proper 3D depth. It's not too bad, though.

Edit: Damn, went back to playing ME1 and found that the low convergence preset I made for the ME2 galaxy map was being triggered while driving the Mako in ME1, causing very low convergence. I've made and uploaded quick update to remove that preset (it really wasn't all that necessary anymore after fixing the lens flares properly). I've updated the above link with the newest revision, so if you downloaded it before please redownload it.
Performance results here

Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

Thanks for the update DJ-RK, every thing looks cool now, I really enjoy playing these games again in glorious 3D !

Yeah the errand thing can be tiresome, but as I said previously I'm a sloow player, that might be age related, so take all the time you need :D
Z31Turbo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Z31Turbo »

Alrighty, so you might hate me for this one, but I did a bunch of testing and was able to find several issues remaining and was able to get you save states for each.

For ME2, things are just about perfect, the only major issue I found is that some weapons like the sniper rifle and heavy weapons use a different hud element for the scope that doesn't have any depth to it. I also found a single lens flare in the Normandy DLC that is broken still, but I think this is the only place in the game it appears so probably not critical.

The ME2 save attached will bring you to the lens flare and my soldier build which has all weapons.

For ME3, the problems are mostly the same as what you were able to fix in ME2, object interactions and lens flares are pretty borked, as well as the same cross hair issues with sniper rifles. However, in addition to that I found some unique issues in ME3. The first, which only appeared in the second version of your fix, is when in a conversation and selecting different dialogue options, the convergence randomly bounces around. The second, is an issue with the shotgun cross hair, for some reason it can't figure out the depth it wants to render and bounces wildly, even causes other sprites to start bouncing, it's kind of hard to explain. Also as a note, I don't have any crashing issue with using the default d3dx.ini I don't know if it's relevant to anything, but I tried both and results seem similar.

For ME3 I attached 2 saves, the Save1 which will take you to the Normandy like before so you can see lens flares and then proceed to dock at the citadel and go to the Alliance Dock, that will bring up a conversation wheel so you can see the issue there. Save 4 will take you to the shooting range, just go through the door and you can test the weapons to see the funky shotgun and sniper.

I really do appreciate the work you have done for us DJ and I feel bad for piling it on though I hope it also helps. I wish I knew how to fix this stuff myself, but every time I try to I end up down a long rabbit hole that I can't find my way through lol. Anyways, thank you for all your hard work and as others have said, please take your time and don't stress over us!
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Z31Turbo wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:36 pm Alrighty, so you might hate me for this one, but I did a bunch of testing and was able to find several issues remaining and was able to get you save states for each.

For ME2, things are just about perfect, the only major issue I found is that some weapons like the sniper rifle and heavy weapons use a different hud element for the scope that doesn't have any depth to it. I also found a single lens flare in the Normandy DLC that is broken still, but I think this is the only place in the game it appears so probably not critical.

The ME2 save attached will bring you to the lens flare and my soldier build which has all weapons.

For ME3, the problems are mostly the same as what you were able to fix in ME2, object interactions and lens flares are pretty borked, as well as the same cross hair issues with sniper rifles. However, in addition to that I found some unique issues in ME3. The first, which only appeared in the second version of your fix, is when in a conversation and selecting different dialogue options, the convergence randomly bounces around. The second, is an issue with the shotgun cross hair, for some reason it can't figure out the depth it wants to render and bounces wildly, even causes other sprites to start bouncing, it's kind of hard to explain. Also as a note, I don't have any crashing issue with using the default d3dx.ini I don't know if it's relevant to anything, but I tried both and results seem similar.

For ME3 I attached 2 saves, the Save1 which will take you to the Normandy like before so you can see lens flares and then proceed to dock at the citadel and go to the Alliance Dock, that will bring up a conversation wheel so you can see the issue there. Save 4 will take you to the shooting range, just go through the door and you can test the weapons to see the funky shotgun and sniper.

I really do appreciate the work you have done for us DJ and I feel bad for piling it on though I hope it also helps. I wish I knew how to fix this stuff myself, but every time I try to I end up down a long rabbit hole that I can't find my way through lol. Anyways, thank you for all your hard work and as others have said, please take your time and don't stress over us!
No hate at all, my good man/woman/person. On the contrary, this is IMMENSELY helpful! I'd much rather know I have at least 99% of issues sorted out before uploading this to the blog, but I'm a super slow gamer (especially with 4 different fixes being worked on in rotation), and I've only played up to maybe 25% into ME2 previously, and none of ME3, so you giving me such precise information and spoiler free gamesaves + instructions on how to most easily access said issues is no less than a miracle in helping me to get this up to scratch as soon as possible (and not have to play the games out of sequence to achieve that), so muchos gracias amigo!

Very interesting that you don't experience that crash. That's literally the best news to me, because I had tried stripping out elements of the mouse.ini file to try to make it work, and had no luck, so if that crash was universal then KB+M users would have been boned for ME3. At least that tells me to dig a little deeper and be more critical of my own configuration (and not assume it was the game's fault).

Edit: Ok, I'm seeing the attachments now (they weren't there when I started this reply). I'll grab them and see if I can whip up an update for later today.
Performance results here

Z31Turbo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Z31Turbo »

DJ-RK wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:05 pm
Z31Turbo wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:36 pm Alrighty, so you might hate me for this one, but I did a bunch of testing and was able to find several issues remaining and was able to get you save states for each.

No hate at all, my good man/woman/person. On the contrary, this is IMMENSELY helpful! I'd much rather know I have at least 99% of issues sorted out before uploading this to the blog, but I'm a super slow gamer (especially with 4 different fixes being worked on in rotation), and I've only played up to maybe 25% into ME2 previously, and none of ME3, so you giving me such precise information and spoiler free gamesaves + instructions on how to most easily access said issues is no less than a miracle in helping me to get this up to scratch as soon as possible (and not have to play the games out of sequence to achieve that), so muchos gracias amigo!

Very interesting that you don't experience that crash. That's literally the best news to me, because I had tried stripping out elements of the mouse.ini file to try to make it work, and had no luck, so if that crash was universal then KB+M users would have been boned for ME3. At least that tells me to dig a little deeper and be more critical of my own configuration (and not assume it was the game's fault).

Edit: Ok, I'm seeing the attachments now (they weren't there when I started this reply). I'll grab them and see if I can whip up an update for later today.
Really glad that I was able to help you with this! The saves are attached now, for some reason it took them out the first time.

I'm definitely not sure on the crash issue though, I tried all the obvious stuff on my end, different drivers, settings etc and not able to replicate it. The only things I can think is if you have some special mouse software/driver that it doesn't like a specific call on, or you have a controller plugged in that is interfering, which is fairly common in some games I'm sure you're aware. Might just need to wait and see if others report the same issue. My background is in IT so finding crashes and doing testing is in my wheelhouse at least. For what it's worth, I'm running Windows 10 21H1 and nvidia 452.06.

Also, I have noticed many of the same issues you have like with low fps animations and reflections. There are quite a few doors that open and close at what looks like 15fps, I suspect much of it was just carry over as performance saving from the old builds. I really hate how they basically brute forced the reflections, they look great and I'm sure under normal circumstances they are fine but they destroy my fps. I feel like screen space reflections would have worked just fine. A lot of aspects of the remaster just feel half baked, but damn it they are such good games I can't help but live with it.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Z31Turbo wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:43 pmMy background is in IT so finding crashes and doing testing is in my wheelhouse at least
Aha. Yeah, I'm a former service desk analyst for a major Canadian bank... I suspected you worked in IT from your professionally constructed feedback!
Also, I have noticed many of the same issues you have like with low fps animations and reflections. There are quite a few doors that open and close at what looks like 15fps, I suspect much of it was just carry over as performance saving from the old builds. I really hate how they basically brute forced the reflections, they look great and I'm sure under normal circumstances they are fine but they destroy my fps. I feel like screen space reflections would have worked just fine. A lot of aspects of the remaster just feel half baked, but damn it they are such good games I can't help but live with it.
Oh man, yes, this so much. Like, they hyped up about how much they improved the game graphically for months leading up to the release, I was literally stunned to find that it really is just an extra coat of paint thrown on top. As you may have read earlier in this thread, it almost halted me from even wanting to continue through playing/fixing this. I guess I should be glad that it's even DX11 at this point and stop complaining, lol. But yeah, I'll be damned if I'm not getting hooked and able to enjoy and appreciate it (including the graphics) for what it is and not what it isn't, so I'm glad that I didn't let my graphical elitism bias get in the way here.
Performance results here

Z31Turbo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Z31Turbo »

DJ-RK wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:05 pm
Z31Turbo wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:43 pmMy background is in IT so finding crashes and doing testing is in my wheelhouse at least
Aha. Yeah, I'm a former service desk analyst for a major Canadian bank... I suspected you worked in IT from your professionally constructed feedback!
Oh man, yes, this so much. Like, they hyped up about how much they improved the game graphically for months leading up to the release, I was literally stunned to find that it really is just an extra coat of paint thrown on top. As you may have read earlier in this thread, it almost halted me from even wanting to continue through playing/fixing this. I guess I should be glad that it's even DX11 at this point and stop complaining, lol. But yeah, I'll be damned if I'm not getting hooked and able to enjoy and appreciate it (including the graphics) for what it is and not what it isn't, so I'm glad that I didn't let my graphical elitism bias get in the way here.
Yeah, unfortunately the best part is that it's a single purchase for everything, I love the series to death, but even I didn't have all the DLC for them, and in 3, much of it is critical. I almost wish they left it as DX9 though, then the old fixes might have worked!
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Alright, that turned out to be a bigger task than expected, but I've now got WIP #3 hot off the press already (again, thanks to Z31Turbo's help here).

Changelog:
-Complete rework of lighting regex to resolve a blurring effect being caused in ME3
-Stereoized all remaining ME2 crosshairs, and all of those that I had access to in ME3 (Pistol, Submachinegun, Rifle, Sniper, & Shotgun)
-Changed depth buffer copying as reference to be better handled in ME3 (and not cause autodepth objects to flicker in multiple places)
-Created new regex for ME2/ME3 lens flares and interaction icons, rather than manually fixing said shaders, to ensure all remaining lens flares in ME2 are fixed, and to automatically catch all in ME3
-Adjusted formula for previously fixed lens flares and interaction icons, to make them scale with convergence better
-Set up triggers for the cutscene low convergence preset on the depth of field shaders in ME2 & ME3. This is slightly different from the approach I use in ME1, and not tested as much. Please report if any convergence "jittering" ever occurs during gameplay.
-Organization and optimization pass: Cleared out a bunch of non-universal UE3/UE4 regexes that were not being utilized. Also changed the naming structure slightly of some of the files used in the fix.

So yeah, there were some pretty big sweeping changes here, which has me a little nervous, especially with how the games interact slightly differently with certain HUD shaders and textures that I rely on as triggers vary in usage slightly between games... but everything that I was able to test was all good, so hopefully no new bugs got introduced. If not, then we're pretty close to being ready to release to the blog.

Oh, @Z31Turbo. I found that I was able to load into ME3 fine with the normal d3dx.ini file as long as I was choosing to "Resume" a savegame from the ME Launcher, if I chose "Start" it would take me to the title screen and crash. Would you mind taking a moment and confirming if you're afflicted the same way, or not? As such, in the meantime, I'm still including the "d3dx - ME3.ini" file to be used as I previously mentioned, however it is only necessary when starting a new game from ME3. Once a person has a ME3 savegame to load from, they can then revert back to the original d3dx.ini file and just launch ME3 using the Resume option from the ME launcher.

Phew. Ok, I think that's it, so: Download WIP 3_1 Here

Edit: Updated to WIP 3.1 to fix a minor file renaming error
Last edited by DJ-RK on Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Performance results here

Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

I get this message with the Wip 3 version ?
MassEffect1009_085.jpg

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”