3D Fix Manager - Application for installing 3D Vision Fixes

888alex
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: 3D Fix Manager - Application for installing 3D Vision Fi

Post by 888alex »

Hey all,

Love the work that is being done here and have been a long time fan of 3DFM!

Just wanted to add a solution to a problem I encountered. Couldn't find much help for it online when trying to solve.

Recently did a clean install of Windows on a new SSD.
-Upon installing 3DFM I needed to hit the switch for 3D on in order for it to ask about installing the new 3D vision drivers.
-Selecting registry hack always froze the program and never enabled 3D.
-Selecting setup wizard always resulted in an error message saying "3d vision and graphic driver mismatch."

Uninstalling and reinstalling Geforce drivers of different versions never solved anything.
-Trying to install 425.31 or older would not work with the current version of windows.

What worked was booting into safemode (shift + click on start menu's restart)
-Running DDU to clean all graphics drivers + restarting.
-Rebooting into safemode without networking.
-Running 425.31 setup (which actually runs now being disconnected from internet).
-Booting back into the normal desktop, opening 3DFM, hitting the 3D switch, and selecting setup wizard.

Finally the setup wizard ran, 3D functionality is back, and all is well!

Hope this helps others along the way who may encounter something similar!
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

greatxerox wrote:Paul, i spent hours and hours of FR translation, 80% is done :p

Thank you very much! Looks great!

Concerning developing next version of 3DFM I spent some time in getting recent DCH drivers to work. Schwing's method to copy reference.dat works but it is as he said: program / game start becomes very slow and the whole thing becomes pretty useless then.

@Schwing: It seems like the reference.dat file is needed for both the DCH driver as well as the default non-DCH driver. With the DCH version 3D Vision driver setup fails to create the reference.dat file. A log file confirms this saying something like "Failed to create stereoscopic object". "Process monitor" also shows that the 3D Vision driver setup tries to create the reference.dat file but fails. Only with DCH version 425.31 the reference.dat is successfully created.

For the non-DCH Geforce driver version the reference.dat file is created successfully by the 3D Vision driver setup (even with the latest Geforce drivers). My best guess is that the 3D Vision driver setup has some dependencies on the Geforce drivers. Something is missing in Geforce DCH driver which still exists in non-DCH drivers. Maybe if we find what's missing we can get the DCH drivers work properly.

Btw Nvidia announced to discontinue the non-DCH drivers for Windows 10... when this comes true we really need the DCH drivers to work properly with 3D Vision (without hanging / blocking games / apps).
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

888alex wrote:Hey all,

Love the work that is being done here and have been a long time fan of 3DFM!

Just wanted to add a solution to a problem I encountered. Couldn't find much help for it online when trying to solve.

Recently did a clean install of Windows on a new SSD.
-Upon installing 3DFM I needed to hit the switch for 3D on in order for it to ask about installing the new 3D vision drivers.
-Selecting registry hack always froze the program and never enabled 3D.
-Selecting setup wizard always resulted in an error message saying "3d vision and graphic driver mismatch."

Uninstalling and reinstalling Geforce drivers of different versions never solved anything.
-Trying to install 425.31 or older would not work with the current version of windows.

What worked was booting into safemode (shift + click on start menu's restart)
-Running DDU to clean all graphics drivers + restarting.
-Rebooting into safemode without networking.
-Running 425.31 setup (which actually runs now being disconnected from internet).
-Booting back into the normal desktop, opening 3DFM, hitting the 3D switch, and selecting setup wizard.

Finally the setup wizard ran, 3D functionality is back, and all is well!

Hope this helps others along the way who may encounter something similar!
Hi alex,

sorry this issue. Unfortunately we haven't solved yet how to make DCH drivers beyond 425.31 work properly with 3D Vision. For next 3DFM version I will include the reference.dat file discussed above to solve the error message "3d vision and graphic driver mismatch". At least 3D Vision works at all then with latest DCH drivers (with lots of hangs and increased start times of applications in 3D mode...). That's still not satisfying but at least a step forward.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

TimFx7 wrote:Hi paul
i found a bug. I don't know if anyone is experiencing this. but occasionally I get this error. The solution I mentioned below works. (Asus PG278Q)

If we want to play with g sync when we press play 2D button, the settings should be like the picture below.
Başlıksız-3.jpg
but if I set my 2D options like this. When you switch to 3D, errors may occur in some games. Some games start at 144hz when 3D starts. The 3D effect is brokening ... ( example : jedi fallen order)
Başlıksız-1.jpg
These value must be changed when switching to 3D on gsync supported monitors. This error usually happens when you enter the 3D game, after playing the gsync full screen game.this is actually a driver error. When switching to 3D mode, it needs to change automatically. (If you turn off the gsync feature from the nvidia panel before you switch to 3d, then this value becomes what it should be.)

therefore, When you press the play 3D button, these value need to be corrected for a more consistent experience. if g sync is turned on on the monitor.
Hi Tim!

Sorry for the late response. I run into the same issue - bug confirmed. Probably introduced for drivers beyond > 425.31 as I didn't have this issue with officially supported drivers.

For next version I'll make sure that in 3d mode the driver profile entry is set back to "controlled by application"
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Herr_Duk wrote:Hello. Faced a problem when using 3D Fix Manager. A month ago, I had to return to driver version 425.31 for passing Borderlands 3. Today I installed 3D Fix Manager again and it doesn’t offer me to update the drivers and manually install the 3d driver and controller. Prior to this, 3D Fix Manager offered to upgrade to version 430, installed the controller and driver, and everything worked in 3d. Now, if I manually install the 430 or 436 3D driver, Fix Manager offers to install the controller and the 3d driver, puts them during the installation, shows the working logo in 3d nvidia, but then all the offers are launched in 2d. I would be grateful for any advice.
Currently for users of Win 10 1903 / 1909 driver updates are generally disabled. This will be loosened with next version of 3DFM but showing a clear warning text that using 1903 / 1909 with latest Geforce drivers is still experimental and needs further steps to restore complete compatibility.

To make 3D work best way currently is to use non-DCH drivers with Windows 10 1809. Using latest Geforce driver version works great there. With 1903 / 1909 you need to apply Schwing's hack.. maybe I try to automate this until we have a better solution.
Using DCH drivers currently is not a good idea but unfortunately Microsoft tries to force us. If internet cable is plugged in Windows Updates e.g. automatically installs DCH drivers directly after doing a fresh Windows 10 installation. Replacing this driver with non-DCH one isn't that trivial. You need to use third party tools like DDU to wipe the DCH driver first, then unplug the internet cable and install the default non-DCH ones previously downloaded from www.nvidia.com... Microsoft / Nvidias don't make our lifes easier :roll:
TimFx7
Cross Eyed!

Post by TimFx7 »

Pauldusler wrote: Hi Tim!
Sorry for the late response. I run into the same issue - bug confirmed. Probably introduced for drivers beyond > 425.31 as I didn't have this issue with officially supported drivers.
For next version I'll make sure that in 3d mode the driver profile entry is set back to "controlled by application"
Hi, thanks Markus
also, there is such a problem . I think you missed that. ;)
Windows 10 Pro x64 (20H2) , i7 6700K 4.7GHz , DDR4 3000MHz 32GB, GTX 1660 Super , PG278Q , 3D Vision 2
My 3D Epic Screenshots I - II and Videos ----- GHOSTING Fix PG278Q ------- HITMAN-2 3D-FIX TOOLBOX
Herr_Duk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Herr_Duk »

Hello, I really want to change the monitor to Asus ROG Strix XG438Q. Is there at least a small chance to run 3D games on it?
Maybe there is a separate topic for such a question?
glebdoberman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by glebdoberman »

Hello, I bought 2070 super and now I can not start 3D. the driver does not install 425.31 :shutter
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

glebdoberman wrote:Hello, I bought 2070 super and now I can not start 3D. the driver does not install 425.31 :shutter
Do you have DCH or Default Geforce driver installed?

2070 super isn't compatible to 425.31 any more because the graphics card was released after the drivers.

For restoring 3D Vision functionality you have to install the Default Geforce drivers (I strongly assume that you have DCH drivers installed as Nvidia is hiding the default drivers on their website these days ;-) )

Here you can download default drivers: http://de.download.nvidia.com/Windows/4 ... l-whql.exe (non-DCH)

Before installing you have to remove the old ones with DDU first: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/di ... nload.html

After installing the graphics driver start 3D Fix Manager and enable 3D. 3D Vision is installed automatically then.

Please keep in mind that Windows 10 1903/1909 needs further fixing for restoring 3D Vision compatibility: https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... 05&t=23352

My general recommendation: Use Windows 10 1809 and default (non-DCH) Geforce drivers. That's the best combination in my opinion. That's still what I use.
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

Agreed 1809 is the best idea if you can manage it. I have gone to the extent of restricting my OS partitions space so windows couldn't update past it even if it wanted too. ;)
I also use Acronis for imaging but I really don't trust it.
Shift-E
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Shift-E »

Necropants wrote:Agreed 1809 is the best idea if you can manage it. I have gone to the extent of restricting my OS partitions space so windows couldn't update past it even if it wanted too. ;)
I also use Acronis for imaging but I really don't trust it.
clever idea, maybe I should create a partition for just the OS and do the same. I am using the metered setting, and so far so good - but we all know MS could just ignore that one day and update my system unexpectedly, and I would have to go back to my most recent system image file.
glebdoberman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by glebdoberman »

Pauldusler wrote:
glebdoberman wrote:Hello, I bought 2070 super and now I can not start 3D. the driver does not install 425.31 :shutter
Do you have DCH or Default Geforce driver installed?

2070 super isn't compatible to 425.31 any more because the graphics card was released after the drivers.

For restoring 3D Vision functionality you have to install the Default Geforce drivers (I strongly assume that you have DCH drivers installed as Nvidia is hiding the default drivers on their website these days ;-) )

Here you can download default drivers: http://de.download.nvidia.com/Windows/4 ... l-whql.exe (non-DCH)

Before installing you have to remove the old ones with DDU first: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/di ... nload.html

After installing the graphics driver start 3D Fix Manager and enable 3D. 3D Vision is installed automatically then.

Please keep in mind that Windows 10 1903/1909 needs further fixing for restoring 3D Vision compatibility: https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... 05&t=23352

My general recommendation: Use Windows 10 1809 and default (non-DCH) Geforce drivers. That's the best combination in my opinion. That's still what I use.
thanks helped but now another problem
I have a monitor ASUS VG278H 3D Vision 2 supported 120 hertz via dvi i d cable on the video card there is no such output only hdmi and display port,
the input of the hdmi and dvi i d monitor is now 3D only works at resolution 1280x720 60 hertz via hdmi v 2.0 cable
3 d vision settings see the monitor as a TV and not as a monitor with 3 d vision support
tuff253
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tuff253 »

Are there any plans to improve 3D Fix Manager with the latest Windows version? It's a great app! I haven't been up to date with this thread so would like to know if there is something in the pipe works. Cheers
sebastatu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sebastatu »

asktoby wrote:Hi, I only found out today that NVidia turned off 3D Vision in latest drivers. But then I found this tool which brings them back I think? :)
I have a 3D Vision monitor.
I'm trying to run Half Life 2 Episode 2.
I'm running NVidia driver 441.12 and 3DFixManager 1.74.
The game launches and my monitor goes into 3D mode (the little green 3D indicator LED comes on and I can detect some flicker).
However, the game only displays 2D. If I use CTRL-F3 to CTRL-F6 to adjust the convergence then I can see things slightly moving onscreen, but it looks like both "eyes" of my monitor are displaying the same image, instead of two alternating viewpoints. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcM0B7mNNfY
Also, there doesn't seem to be any entry in the database for Half Life Episode 2, only an entry called "Half Life 2: Update".

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

And thank you for a very professional looking tool btw.
Make sure you disable Antialiasing in the games graphic settings.
greatxerox
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by greatxerox »

PAUUUUUUUUUUUUUL

i finished 3dFix manager FRENCH translation !!

what a work !!!!

go check please :D
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

Paul, can you please contact me @ steam or discord when i am online to discuss the UE4-UV2 game implementation???
chinobino
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by chinobino »

I have an Asus VG278H 3DVision monitor that I still use so I'll start with a big 'Thank You!' to Pauldusler for your amazing work on 3DFM (and also a mention to Losti, schwing, P.C.Zen, bo3bber and anyone else that contributed).

I have recently completed some testing for 441.66 Non-DCH Vs 441.66 DCH drivers by making 2 partitions with each running Windows 10 2004 (Build 19041).

On the first Windows 10 partition I installed the Non-DCH 441.66 GeForce Win10 driver, then I extracted & installed the 3DVision setup from the Non-DCH 441.66 Quadro Win7/8 driver.
With Non-DCH drivers 3DVision just worked.

My experience with the DCH driver was very different.

On the second Windows 10 partition I installed the DCH 441.66 GeForce Win10 driver.
I took the 3DVision files from the DCH 426.32 Quadro Win10 driver and used Windows 'expand' command to decompress the required files.
I used a modified version of Losti's batch script to change all product and file versions to 441.66 and copied them into C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision
I then copied schwing's Resource.dat to C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA
I also patched the 2 files (nvwgf2um.dll, nvwgf2umx.dll) with a hex editor as per schwing's instructions & pasted them over the originals located at
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv....
And finally merged schwing's two registry files (Stereo3D.reg & Stereo3DPersistent.reg).

At this point I attempted to run the Nvidia 3D Setup Wizard (NVStWiz.exe) and received the same two StereoCPLAPI errors that a31632 got;

Error in StereoCPLAPI,
Settings->setDefaultStartupMode() returned false.

Exception in StereoCPLAPI,
in Settings->setDefaultStartupMode().

I then tried ticking the box "Enable Stereoscopic 3D" in the Nvidia control panel - it appeared enabled but when I ran the Nvidia 3DTest (NvStTest.exe) I had the same problem as Darkbluesky "it launches but in 2D" and then I tried RTHDRIBL 2.0 (Real-Time High Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting) DX9 fullscreen and it launched in 2D as well.

Finally I installed 3DFM 1.74, enabled 3DVision and the Nvidia 3DTest & RTHDRIBL 2.0 were now working correctly!
I ran some Steam games, Fallout 4, Tekken 7 & Soul Calibur 6 and they all worked.
I then tested Stereoscopic Player 2.5.1 with a MKV rip of my Gravity (2013) interlaced 3D Blu Ray and it also worked.

;TLDR Once Nvidia forces DCH on us you will need 3DFM for 3DVision work!
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

3DFM currently not working for inject 3D-Vision into 442.50.

@Paul:
Bitte ändern: Die Versionen der Dateien aus dem 3D-Vision Archiv dürfen NUR für diese Dateien geändert werden: NvSCPAPI.dll und NvSCPAPI64.dll. SONST NICHTS!!! Anderenfalls geht das Ganze schief ab Treiber 442.50. FRag mich nicht warum ^^

Hau mich doch mal bitte im Steam an wenn du Zeit hast wegen der Implementierung der über den UE4-UF2 reparierten Spiele ohne direkten Download in den 3DFM!!!
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

chinobino wrote:I have an Asus VG278H 3DVision monitor that I still use so I'll start with a big 'Thank You!' to Pauldusler for your amazing work on 3DFM (and also a mention to Losti, schwing, P.C.Zen, bo3bber and anyone else that contributed).

I have recently completed some testing for 441.66 Non-DCH Vs 441.66 DCH drivers by making 2 partitions with each running Windows 10 2004 (Build 19041).

On the first Windows 10 partition I installed the Non-DCH 441.66 GeForce Win10 driver, then I extracted & installed the 3DVision setup from the Non-DCH 441.66 Quadro Win7/8 driver.

On the second Windows 10 partition I installed the DCH 441.66 GeForce Win10 driver.
I took the 3DVision files from the DCH 426.32 Quadro Win10 driver and used Windows 'expand' command to decompress the required files.
I used a modified version of Losti's batch script to change all product and file versions to 441.66 and copied them into C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision
I also patched the 2 files (nvwgf2um.dll, nvwgf2umx.dll) with a hex editor as per schwing's instructions & pasted them over the originals located at
And finally merged schwing's two registry files (Stereo3D.reg & Stereo3DPersistent.reg).

At this point I attempted to run the Nvidia 3D Setup Wizard (NVStWiz.exe) and received the same two StereoCPLAPI errors that a31632 got;

Error in StereoCPLAPI,

I then tried ticking the box "Enable Stereoscopic 3D" in the Nvidia control panel - it appeared enabled but when I ran the Nvidia 3DTest (NvStTest.exe) I had the same problem as Darkbluesky "it launches but in 2D" and then I tried RTHDRIBL 2.0 (Real-Time High Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting) DX9 fullscreen and it launched in 2D as well.

Finally I installed 3DFM 1.74, enabled 3DVision and the Nvidia 3DTest & RTHDRIBL 2.0 were now working correctly!
I ran some Steam games, Fallout 4, Tekken 7 & Soul Calibur 6 and they all worked.
I then tested Stereoscopic Player 2.5.1 with a MKV rip of my Gravity (2013) interlaced 3D Blu Ray and it also worked.

I am experiencing the same issue under DCH drivers. Non DCH drivers works perfectly fine. DCH drivers don't.
Sadly on my laptop I am forced to DCH drivers ad the Standard drivers don't even recognise my RTX 2080 GPU (Alienware Area 51m).

The problem is the emitter doesn't turn on. the test starts and displaying a 3D image (interleaved mode instead of regular 3D vision mode).
I think more settings are missing?

Anyone has any idea?
3D Vision discover seems to work perfectly fine though!
http://3dsurroundgaming.com:
- Home of Vk3DVision & OGL3DVision - Play your favourite Vulkan & OpenGL games in Stereoscopic 3D using Nvidia 3DVision or Virtual Reality ;)
- Home of some of my UHD "Surround/Eyefinity"/21:9/32:9 Fixes. (Or you can always check http://pcgamingwiki.com/)

Want to contribute to the development of Vk3DVision? You can check my Patreon Page for the project: https://www.patreon.com/Vk3DVision.
If you "still" like my project but don't want to contribute monthly you can always send me a PayPal: tavyhomeppal@hotmail.com.

You can always follow me on Twitter: @OctavianVasilov
harisukro
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by harisukro »

helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

harisukro wrote:helifax try this method: https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... 60#p168206
Sadly I will have to stop at this:
Download the new Standard(not DCH!) NVidia driver installer and also save it in c:\temp (see the download link in the readme.txt)

I also tried it.. the driver fails to find my GPU (No graphics driver crap found. Thank you (not) Nvidia for supporting your poop properly -_-). The driver released today for Doom Eternal also can only be installed in DCH only :( Standard tells me no graphics card found (this is after DDU and blocking the internet so no automatic stuff is installed :( )
- Home of Vk3DVision & OGL3DVision - Play your favourite Vulkan & OpenGL games in Stereoscopic 3D using Nvidia 3DVision or Virtual Reality ;)
- Home of some of my UHD "Surround/Eyefinity"/21:9/32:9 Fixes. (Or you can always check http://pcgamingwiki.com/)

Want to contribute to the development of Vk3DVision? You can check my Patreon Page for the project: https://www.patreon.com/Vk3DVision.
If you "still" like my project but don't want to contribute monthly you can always send me a PayPal: tavyhomeppal@hotmail.com.

schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

Here's a list of steps that you can do to get a DCH driver working after the program is done patching its files. If the program doesn't patch DCH drivers, then you'll have to go the more-manual route with my guide. The hex edit patching is the same between Standard and DCH.
Win 10 v1909 / 1x Nvidia 980Ti GPU (v452.22, 1080p)
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

schwing wrote:    Here's a list of steps that you can do to get a DCH driver working after the program is done patching its files. If the program doesn't patch DCH drivers, then you'll have to go the more-manual route with my guide. The hex edit patching is the same between Standard and DCH.
Hi schwing,

I followed both guides and I got to install 3D Vision in DCH driver. However, the 3D Vision emitter doesn't turn on and the image on the 3D Display shows 2 images but what looks to be in interlaced format. 3D Vision Discover works fine so I can use HelixVision in VR, but my 3D monitor is not working correctly.

I think the 2nd guide (on the DCH process) is missing a few steps or there are other files or settings that need to be manually applied. I tried it both on my desktop (whre I can chose between Standard and DCH drivers) and my laptop where I am forced only to DCH. On the desktop and laptop the DCH version behaves the same. On the desktop using Standard drivers everything works fine!

The Nvidia stereo 3D wizard doesn't start in DCH driver mode but works fine in Standard driver mode. I am not sure what the issue is. I am going to dig in a bit more into this.
If you have any idea why this would happen, please let me know!

Many thanks!
Cheers!
Helifax

schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

I use 3DFixManager to install 3D Vision. I don't use a usb emitter unfortunately. It could possibly be the reg files I included. That has my non-usb 3D settings so maybe that messes it up.
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

schwing wrote:I use 3DFixManager to install 3D Vision. I don't use a usb emitter unfortunately. It could possibly be the reg files I included. That has my non-usb 3D settings so maybe that messes it up.
Oo!
That is great info right there!
I wonder if I will extract the registries from my desktop where the emitter and 3D Vision works and port it to the DCH driver on my laptop, if this will make it work!
I'm going to try it tomorrow and will let you know!

Many thanks,
Helifax

a31632
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by a31632 »

helifax wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:51 pm
chinobino wrote:I have an Asus VG278H 3DVision monitor that I still use so I'll start with a big 'Thank You!' to Pauldusler for your amazing work on 3DFM (and also a mention to Losti, schwing, P.C.Zen, bo3bber and anyone else that contributed).

Error in StereoCPLAPI,

I am experiencing the same issue under DCH drivers. Non DCH drivers works perfectly fine. DCH drivers don't.
Sadly on my laptop I am forced to DCH drivers ad the Standard drivers don't even recognise my RTX 2080 GPU (Alienware Area 51m).

The problem is the emitter doesn't turn on. the test starts and displaying a 3D image (interleaved mode instead of regular 3D vision mode).
I think more settings are missing?

Anyone has any idea?
3D Vision discover seems to work perfectly fine though!

I can confirm that 442.50 DCH drivers with 3D Vision works perfectly with the guides provided here.
I used the fix by "Robert256" (great work by the way, very simple and easy to use) to patch and install without the need to hex edit or go into safe mode to replace the two files. Had to use Schwing's reg files and resource.dat file as indicated in the instructions and my games are all working in 3D Vision with 442.50 driver installed.
The only weird thing was that at first the test in the NVIDIA control panel wasn't wokring (just showed 2D), but later when I played and configured some games in 3D I went back and tried again and now it also shows the test correctly.

Very happy with this great work, made an image of my drive just to make sure I don't have to reinstall it all again later as it was tricky to get it done ;-)
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Re: 3D Fix Manager - Application for installing 3D Vision Fixes

Post by spin1 »

Hi. I'm not getting the message any more about updating nvidia drivers. I only get a small box saying:
"No program updates available.
Fix profiles up to date"

I'm running driver v442.19 but that's 3 drivers old now. I also installed Kaspersky a few days ago (awesome by the way). Do you think that may be blocking the program from knowing there are updates? Kaspersky hasn't caused a single issue with any of my programs, connections, and updates so I highly doubt it's the issue.

I currently have a 1080 Ti installed but just bought a 2080 Ti to replace it with and want to update drivers preferably via 3D Fix Manager.

OS is Win 8.1 64-bit......
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

spin1 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:12 pm Hi. I'm not getting the message any more about updating nvidia drivers. I only get a small box saying:
"No program updates available.
Fix profiles up to date"

I'm running driver v442.19 but that's 3 drivers old now. I also installed Kaspersky a few days ago (awesome by the way). Do you think that may be blocking the program from knowing there are updates? Kaspersky hasn't caused a single issue with any of my programs, connections, and updates so I highly doubt it's the issue.

I currently have a 1080 Ti installed but just bought a 2080 Ti to replace it with and want to update drivers preferably via 3D Fix Manager.

OS is Win 8.1 64-bit......
Hi,

I'm working on this. For driver version > 442.19 patching of FileInfo version has to be modified otherwise 3D Vision gives a driver missmatch warning (thx Losti for informing me about this). In current WIP of 3DFM I've corrected this and added automatic driver installation for Win10 1903 / 1909. Next goal is to add patching of already installed Geforce drivers without the need to reinstall them. Haha last weekend Doom Eternal got me a bit distracted from developing :P. Great game btw! Maybe Helifax can do a 3D fix for it if there is still OpenGL mode (?) available in this game :P.

Concerning fix profiles I'll add the ones I am able to (where helix blogs tell me where to install the 3D fix and the name of the game exe).

Cheers!
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Hi folks,

Short update. I've worked on 3DFM a bit today an was able to automate following things via .NET / C#:
  • Detect correct driver folder in Windows driver store (often there is more than 1 folder containing nvwgf2umx.dll and nvwgf2um.dll... garbage from older driver installations)
  • Take owernship of detected driver folder in Windows driver store
  • Add Permissions to this folder
  • Temporarily Stop / kill all process using nvwgf2umx.dll and nvwgf2um.dll
  • Apply hack to the DLLs
So I think I have all pieces together now to provide a user friendly solution for re-enabling Stereo 3D for Win 1903 / 1909.

As driver signature gets lost after applying DLL hack I think the best will be that 3DFM restores the original DLL in 2D mode while for 3D mode the modded DLL will kick in. For more control I will also provide a checkbox where you can enable / disable the driver hack manually.

The Plan is that 3DFM will check following dependencies when user tries to enable 3D on Win 10 v.1903 /1909 and drivers higher than 425.31:
  • Is driver hack already installed? If not add permissions to folder in driver store / kill processes still using the DLLs and apply the hack
  • Are Stereosopic Drivers installed?
  • Is 3D Vision Controller driver installed?
  • Are 3D Vision DLLs patched with correct version number?
  • Are DCH drivers installed? If yes check if Resources.DAT exists. If not copy it to the Nvidia folder. Also give a warning message that Standard drivers are the best choice!
.. .

So the plan is to ultimatively fix already installed Geforce / 3D Vision drivers to make them work no matter if you use Win7 or latest Win10.
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

Thanks for looking at this, Pauldusler. Will there be some sort of (first-time) warning that says what apps would be closed before applying the fix? There was a program called iCue that used um.dll that DJ-RK and I use, but it seems to have stopped using it after a recent update. Maybe even a generic warning if the implementation is too complex.
a31632
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by a31632 »

Pauldusler wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:12 am Hi folks,

Short update. I've worked on 3DFM a bit today an was able to automate following things via .NET / C#:
  • Detect correct driver folder in Windows driver store (often there is more than 1 folder containing nvwgf2umx.dll and nvwgf2um.dll... garbage from older driver installations)
  • Take owernship of detected driver folder in Windows driver store
  • Add Permissions to this folder
  • Temporarily Stop / kill all process using nvwgf2umx.dll and nvwgf2um.dll
  • Apply hack to the DLLs
So I think I have all pieces together now to provide a user friendly solution for re-enabling Stereo 3D for Win 1903 / 1909.

As driver signature gets lost after applying DLL hack I think the best will be that 3DFM restores the original DLL in 2D mode while for 3D mode the modded DLL will kick in. For more control I will also provide a checkbox where you can enable / disable the driver hack manually.

The Plan is that 3DFM will check following dependencies when user tries to enable 3D on Win 10 v.1903 /1909 and drivers higher than 425.31:
  • Is driver hack already installed? If not add permissions to folder in driver store / kill processes still using the DLLs and apply the hack
  • Are Stereosopic Drivers installed?
  • Is 3D Vision Controller driver installed?
  • Are 3D Vision DLLs patched with correct version number?
  • Are DCH drivers installed? If yes check if Resources.DAT exists. If not copy it to the Nvidia folder. Also give a warning message that Standard drivers are the best choice!
.. .

So the plan is to ultimatively fix already installed Geforce / 3D Vision drivers to make them work no matter if you use Win7 or latest Win10.

Will you build in an option for DCH drivers as well?
I was able to get it to work on 442.50 with DCH drivers installed but it required a few more steps and as I can't install standard drivers (not even after DDU, must be hardcoded in my Alienware M15), I need to use DCH drivers

Thanks again for the great work here, all guides and files from Schwing and Robert256 helped me a lot!
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

a31632 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:29 pm
I was able to get it to work on 442.50 with DCH drivers installed but it required a few more steps and as I can't install standard drivers (not even after DDU, must be hardcoded in my Alienware M15), I need to use DCH drivers

Thanks again for the great work here, all guides and files from Schwing and Robert256 helped me a lot!
DCH drivers work as well but I have increased loading times for games / applications when 3D is on. What are your results here?
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

schwing wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:48 pm     Thanks for looking at this, Pauldusler. Will there be some sort of (first-time) warning that says what apps would be closed before applying the fix? There was a program called iCue that used um.dll that DJ-RK and I use, but it seems to have stopped using it after a recent update. Maybe even a generic warning if the implementation is too complex.
Yeah that's not a problem informing which programs will be closed. So far 4-5 processes have to be closed. On my machine these procsses are blocking the 64 bit version of the Geforce driver dll only (ufw2umx.dll... or similar name xD). The 32 bit version is not blocked on my machine. Currently one process makes still some trouble "Nvidia share.exe". When I kill this process it's restarted immediately and the dll is blocked again... After second try the dll is unblocked permanently after next restart of Windows. That's still confusing... will experiment more on this today. Also stumbled about another issue that .NET cached results of getting the version number of the 3D Vision dll files... correct results are given when the application is restarted. I fixed this issue by putting dll version validation in a separate console application which is invoked every time the validation has to be done. So no more caching - don't know if there is a better way ;). But so far 1 click re-activation of 3D Vision is working except for the killing of Nvidia share.exe...

Schwing, another question: how did you find out how to fix the Geforce Driver dlls for Windows 10 v.1903? Just out of curiosity. How did you know which bytes to replace in hex editor?
a31632
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by a31632 »

Pauldusler wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:54 am

DCH drivers work as well but I have increased loading times for games / applications when 3D is on. What are your results here?

Yes, I have increased loading times but it's not too bad (maybe I'm getting used to it LOL), I had to run the two "reg" files from Schwing to get 3D to kick in with me. Overall it works really good, PowerDVD in 3D and all my games that support 3D have it working. Adjusted some game profiles with ProfileInspector for better results. Very happy with keeping 3D alive ;-)
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

a31632 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:40 pm

Yes, I have increased loading times but it's not too bad (maybe I'm getting used to it LOL), I had to run the two "reg" files from Schwing to get 3D to kick in with me. Overall it works really good, PowerDVD in 3D and all my games that support 3D have it working. Adjusted some game profiles with ProfileInspector for better results. Very happy with keeping 3D alive ;-)
Nice, similar results as on my machine where DCH is adding longer loading times but when games are started they run fine in Stereo 3D. However I wasn't able to get PowerDVD working with DCH drivers - the program just hangs in 3D. With default drivers Power DVD runs fine. Did you do some extra steps to make Power DVD work?

Btw I've roughly completed the first working beta of 3DFM where 3D Vision can be re-actived with one click for Win 10 v.1903/1909. This means the installed Geforce driver DLL is automatically hex edited. Haha and some running processes were really nasty as they blocked the driver DLL and restarted themselves automatically as soon as they were killed. However I found out that they are not started any more after killing them for the third time. For example Steam Webhelper.exe needed that triple kill xD. I've written a recursive function for this where I set the retries to 5. After that 3DFM gives up and the DLL can't be swapped / edited. Gladly I didn't run into this situation yet.

A thing I haven't tested yet is when a user installed the 3D Vision driver without updating the file version of the stereo driver DLLs in advance. I'll test this scenario if patching them later also re-enables 3D Vision.
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

Those steamwebhelper programs close if Steam is closed. They're necessary for browsing any page (even the game library page). They automatically appeared for me after killing them ten times. Do they always stay closed using your approach?
a31632
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by a31632 »

Pauldusler wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:03 pm

Nice, similar results as on my machine where DCH is adding longer loading times but when games are started they run fine in Stereo 3D. However I wasn't able to get PowerDVD working with DCH drivers - the program just hangs in 3D. With default drivers Power DVD runs fine. Did you do some extra steps to make Power DVD work?

Btw I've roughly completed the first working beta of 3DFM where 3D Vision can be re-actived with one click for Win 10 v.1903/1909. This means the installed Geforce driver DLL is automatically hex edited. Haha and some running processes were really nasty as they blocked the driver DLL and restarted themselves automatically as soon as they were killed. However I found out that they are not started any more after killing them for the third time. For example Steam Webhelper.exe needed that triple kill xD. I've written a recursive function for this where I set the retries to 5. After that 3DFM gives up and the DLL can't be swapped / edited. Gladly I didn't run into this situation yet.

A thing I haven't tested yet is when a user installed the 3D Vision driver without updating the file version of the stereo driver DLLs in advance. I'll test this scenario if patching them later also re-enables 3D Vision.

No, Power DVD worked immediately when I tried, after testing most of my games. I have PowerDVD 19 ultra, not sure if the version has anything to do with it.
The only thing I noticed is that initially, after installation, the 3D test in nvidia control panel was showing 2D only. When I tested all games, rebooted a few times etc. and I tried again, the test is showing proper 3D, so not sure what happened there......
I used schwing's instructions with the 2 reg files and moving the .dat file together with Roberts 256's installation file and that did the trick. I activated 3D with the 3D Fix Manager as the test wasn't working intially.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

schwing wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:36 pm     Those steamwebhelper programs close if Steam is closed. They're necessary for browsing any page (even the game library page). They automatically appeared for me after killing them ten times. Do they always stay closed using your approach?
Yes, at least long enough to do the driver hack. Nvidia share.exe had the same issue. After the third kill it stayed down. I'll release a beta version of 3DFM here the next days so everyone can test if this approach is working or not. I'm not quite sure but I think if the 32 bit version of the dll is blocked .NET can't detect this unless the .NET application itself is 32 bit, too. However 3DFM is 64 bit so it can only detect 64 bit dlls used by processes ... in any case I can just drop that function to a 32 bit console application to do the job there ^^. But I have to re-read on Stackoverflow about this as I'm not quite sure. Was your 32 bit dll ever blocked by Windows applications?
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

a31632 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:52 pm
Pauldusler wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:03 pm

No, Power DVD worked immediately when I tried, after testing most of my games. I have PowerDVD 19 ultra, not sure if the version has anything to do with it.
The only thing I noticed is that initially, after installation, the 3D test in nvidia control panel was showing 2D only. When I tested all games, rebooted a few times etc. and I tried again, the test is showing proper 3D, so not sure what happened there......
I used schwing's instructions with the 2 reg files and moving the .dat file together with Roberts 256's installation file and that did the trick. I activated 3D with the 3D Fix Manager as the test wasn't working intially.
That sounds pretty promising. I have Power DVD 18 - maybe with 19 I would be more lucky. I will retest... Haha the 3D test isn't working for a long time for me on Windows 10.

Btw patching the 3D Vision DLLs afterwards worked. I've just added this function to 3DFM. I also tested driver version 445.75 - I started from scratch by downloading the driver from nvidia.com... installed it without any hacks - just ran the original driver setup by Nvidia. Then I started 3DFM, pressed the 3D button and 3D was back within seconds :P.
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

Nowadays it's just Steam. When I have Steam closed, nothing is using the 32-bit one. Who knows what apps users happen to have installed that would use it. The 64-bit one is used by SkypeApp.exe and Calculator.exe in my experience.

As for detecting 32-bit processes from a 64-bit process: calling a 32-bit console application with arguments shouldn't take too long. Just return a list of processes and close them in 3DFM.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”