John Carmack joins Oculus!

colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: John Carmack joins Oculus!

Post by colocolo »

Palmer, John and the Oculus team: ....'we can’t wait to show you where we’re headed next'.

Very exciting!
i bet it will be Rift for free. :woot
Wouldnt surprise me after this great news.
StreetRat
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by StreetRat »

Im sure like most others when i read the news i got a bit giddy.

As awesome as this news is however, it leads to a bigger question.

If someone like Carmack is willing to move across to Oculus (pretty well) full time, then who else is going to join him?
Is Oculus going to have the Dream Team of Game Designers/Programmers in a few months?
We getting the Matrix when the commercial Rift is released? (im willing to be a beta tester, just send me the new Rift and the link)
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

I was a bit bummed when I heard about the Armadillo Aerospace news a few days back, but this makes it (almost) all better.

BTW, is Palmer's middle name Very?

Dream team indeed.
Libertine
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Libertine »

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh! Great news.
bobjwatts
Cross Eyed!

Post by bobjwatts »

Such great news, another step in the right direction for Oculus, bravo!
urban
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by urban »

Yeh I reckon cliffy B will jump on board soon, (hoping at least)

with the news of JC joining I already had one of those "this sh** just got real moments"
Moriarty
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moriarty »

Great news ! :D VR needs people with the stature and experience of a John Carmack.

I must admit that I was a bit worried when Doom III BFG fell through for the Kickstarter and John stopped talking about Oculus (I think he mentioned the Rift only once in his entire QuakeCon keynote).I thought that an industry analyst at ZeniMax/iD had decided, like that Pachter guy, that VR was going to be a niche product at best and that they said something like : "Look VR is interesting and we will keep an eye on it, but this little side-project is getting out of hand. We are not going to bet on this dark horse for the moment and unlike Valve won't put a lot of effort in it. We want to focus 100% on the new console generation...". Whatever happened, I'm glad that John has now officialy joined the VR revolution ! :mrgreen: This news will make some waves in the gaming industry, open a few extra doors and make an already great Oculus-team even better. 8-)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, this has been really amazing news. Who would have thought this could happen in such a short time?
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

cybereality wrote:Yeah, this has been really amazing news. Who would have thought this could happen in such a short time?
I did. I have full confidence in you guys! ;)
remosito

Post by remosito »

Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Already so many talented people at Oculus. As Oculus VR mentioned on their career page i think we can expect a lot more products than just a headset.
When will we see the low cost ODT/Rift counterpart?
Should be an easy task for a guy who tells NASA after a year of study that rocket science is easier than coding games.
I hope Oculus VR is already working on a low cost gun controller. I bet they do. :lol:
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

colocolo wrote:Already so many talented people at Oculus. As Oculus VR mentioned on their career page i think we can expect a lot more products than just a headset.
When will we see the low cost ODT/Rift counterpart?
Should be an easy task for a guy who tells NASA after a year of study that rocket science is easier than coding games.
I hope Oculus VR is already working on a low cost gun controller. I bet they do. :lol:
rocket science is a mature science, it is 100 years old.

We've had every indication that we are well beyond rocket science, and we've seen the signs of that a literal few hundred times over the past 40-50 years. One simply has to look. The whole thing went dark after WWII, and it has stayed dark. The wars went quiet and hidden, no longer open. It took too long for them to begin releasing the stuff and now they don't know what to do with it. The divergence went too far. They've got a society that is not ready for the package, as they've not had any time to absorb and adjust to this wholly divergent and alternate path of knowing and thinking. Look up the public and known comments of Ben Rich (former head of Lockheed skunkworks), for one.

All this 'cutting edge physics stuff' we've been publicly playing with for the past +20-25 years is all punter crap (childish dross) that was left in the dust long ago.

This alternate technology track and 'accelerated rate of advancement' situation is not the real problem, it is the minds of the people (general public) to handle such incredible levels of personal power. Most people were raised far too primitively to have such things handed to them without some form of strong psychological preparation. We're talking about things that practically break the human mind (of the average person), and will take years of adjustment, at best. At the same time they enter the area of individually handling energies that can break worlds. Not a good situation, to say the least.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

@KBK
hmmm.....so its true, we could have flying cars like in 'The Fifth Element'? ;)
drifter

Post by drifter »

Wait, they took John Carmack and not KBK ?
mindless
Cross Eyed!

Post by mindless »

What a big win for Oculus. I'm sure many gamers who may have been on the fence will now look towards the rift as a must buy!

Congrats John, I'm sure you've made the right decision.
3trip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3trip »

colocolo wrote:@KBK
hmmm.....so its true, we could have flying cars like in 'The Fifth Element'? ;)

the problem with the flying car isn't the flying part, it's the bozo behind the wheel, when you get a self driving aircraft that can fly from point A to B without any input from the driver, then you'll have a flying car in every garage.
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

So John Carmack is working with pass-through cameras. :shock: :woot
He tweeted a ton yesterday about it, and no big surprise but it sounds like laggy cameras and low fov don't really cut it.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

you could check against your monitor that would give you a reference frame but not show you what you were actually looking at. but people would have a better idea where they were in real life and the virtual monitor in the VR space would update fast enough. you could even go as far as photogrammetry eventually. it doesn't need to be realtime at first. simpler than photogrammetry would be just a bidirectional panoramic photo sourced from the camera.
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

Uuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmm :?

Oculus took in Matt Hooper, the creative director of the most disappointing, un-immersive, non-belief suspending (IMO) game that had you fight back through one level a second time, backwards? The game that at the outset looked like Riven with realtime 3D rendering, but turned out to be a incredibly shallow in almost every area (especially design, again IMO) except arcadish gameplay? The game that had a storyline equivalent of length to a Sam-I-Am book that had me only scratching my head when at the mid point of the game, the "main" NPC asked "Do you understand the importance of what were doing?" The game that asked the player to overcome the non-believability of all NPC's greeting the player with, "Hi, im Ted and i've got a problem. If you can help me solve it, ill give you a reward." The game that had robots in towns that scanned the area for you, a wanted person, that didn't actually do anything..... ok, now i digress, but i feel like i could go on for another eye-brow raising hour.

The only other guy from ID i think should join Oculus is the [fictional] id intern who got reprimanded being being caught complaining that Rage had little chance of immersing adults (average gamer age: 37).

I hope Oculus understands that some people are not and/or have not been interested in immersive gaming. I think it honestly takes someone whos been wanting to go into the places/planets/universes he or she has been reading about since they were young -mainly. At least, i think thats the type of person most likely to make the best decisions relating to immersion. IMO, what Oculus needs in someone whos been semi-unhappy in their lives, and has sorta/kinda wanted to escape into another world when they've played games simply because of the fact that i think they've paid more attention to what they're trying to achieve -what works and what doesn't work as well -regarding what suspends their disbelief more.

.and in general, for F sake, please, please don't hire someone based on how happy they seem...
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Hey, ****hole. This is a real person you're talking about with a real career. Possibly with real children and a real wife and a real mortgage.

Unless you have some incredible knowledge you haven't shared with us about exactly what his talents and skill sets are, maybe you should just STFU. Projects fail. It happens. Often for reasons completely unrelated to its management.

Critiquing consumer projects or technology is one thing, but going after individuals trying to make a living?

Take a hike.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

unsilentwill wrote:So John Carmack is working with pass-through cameras. :shock: :woot
He tweeted a ton yesterday about it, and no big surprise but it sounds like laggy cameras and low fov don't really cut it.
I have seen this future long ago while i was blamed to compare apples with oranges for my statement " RIFT is 1000 time better to Google glass so no one should compare both here..... "
Dilip wrote:Again RIFT CAN BECOME AR-VR but CAN GOOGLE GLASS BE VR - FORGET IT!!!
as RIFT is still in Dev. and nothing stops oculust to ADD CAM while in GOOGLE GLASS WHere U PUT Second Display - If u Put still Resolution and FoV SUCKS
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=80

So we can see AR RIFT too.. its too good to know.
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

blazespinnaker wrote:Hey, ****hole.
I don't think i criticized him [or even credited him directly with ANY of the negative aspects of Rage that were ADMITTEDLY (twice) my opinion] any more than than people criticize hollywood directors.

NOW YOU.... TAKE HIKE...UP.....INTO...THE MOUNTAINS.....WITH NO SHOES! SOKAY!? TAKE THAT! :lol:

Return to “Oculus VR”