The absolute worst kind of games for OR?

Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Re: The absolute worst kind of games for OR?

Post by Pingles »

You guys have really inspired me to come up with a workable 3rd person setup for the Rift. I think it's not only do-able but might be fantastic.

If you gave the player laser-sights for aiming and then just had a view directly behind them but your view was not locked to the facing of the player I think it would make situational awareness excellent and you could even design a more ferocious side and rear gameplay for the player so you always had to scan with the Rift.

I'm sure plenty of people will have new takes on 3rd person.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Pingles wrote:You guys have really inspired me to come up with a workable 3rd person setup for the Rift. I think it's not only do-able but might be fantastic.

If you gave the player laser-sights for aiming and then just had a view directly behind them but your view was not locked to the facing of the player I think it would make situational awareness excellent and you could even design a more ferocious side and rear gameplay for the player so you always had to scan with the Rift.

I'm sure plenty of people will have new takes on 3rd person.
My favorite genre is strategy games - I can see a cool strategy game be perfectly playable with the Rift. As you say you can better and faster scan the surroundings, so a title like Starcraft II if created with the Rift in mind might be awesome. Especially a god game like populous (in combination with the LEAP) might give a god like feeling like never before.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
mindless
Cross Eyed!

Post by mindless »

I think the worst type of game would have to be exhibit A

Sonic Free Riders

Click here for a comprehensive Angry Joe Show Review

Incomprehensible speed and acceleration, terrible camera control and sudden violent deceleration, with break neck turns. The only enjoyment you could get out of a game like this is if you have a masochistic desire to punish yourself, just to see how long you can last before you throw up.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

I have an idea for 3rd person.....Fixed camera Positions...maybe 4. These would be able to be cycled through a single button. Forward back left right!
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

I wonder what percent of the gamer population is resistant to simulator sickness. Further, I wonder if the most simulator-sickness-resistant people can still get sick under extreme circumstances.
Last edited by twofoe on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

twofoe wrote:I wonder what percent of the gamer population is resistant to simulator sickness. Further, I wonder if the most simulator sickness-resistant people can still get sick under extreme circumstances.
When I first sat down and played Castle Wolfenstein 3D (the old one) I got real sick. Real sick. Like JUST-about-to-hurl-and-had-to-take-a-break sick.

But when I saw it I was so blown away no car-sickness was gonna keep me from playing. I powered through it after a few hours I never felt it again.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't a similar situation with the Rift.

I guess we'll know in a few weeks.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

I don't think that flight and racing simulations will be problematic without a motion system, because huge simulators exist out there filling entire rooms, people building Boeing 737 cockpits with 180° projector screens wrapped around on the outside, not having problems with motion sickness.

I'm sure that motion sickness is only induced if the motion of a simulator or the headtracking is out of sync.

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpt6JC4Qks[/youtube-hd]
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

STRZ wrote:I don't think that flight and racing simulations will be problematic without a motion system, because huge simulators exist out there filling entire rooms, people building Boeing 737 cockpits with 180° projector screens wrapped around on the outside, not having problems with motion sickness.

I'm sure that motion sickness is only induced if the motion of a simulator or the headtracking is out of sync.
I have read an article about Michael Schumacher not being able to train on the simulator due to motion sickness - so I don't think it is as you say. The only time I ever got seasick was when I was with the army and participated in an marine exercise on the north sea while we had quite huge waves and they were rather trying to get us seasick. I really hope that playing with the Rift will be nothing like that for me!
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

GeraldT wrote: I have read an article about Michael Schumacher not being able to train on the simulator due to motion sickness - so I don't think it is as you say.

I was reffering to a simulator without motion system as not problematic if the other stuff is done right. You refer to motion simulators!

And take in mind that Mercedes stated that the old ( motion) simulator was the cause beeing not precise enough and that they wanted to uprgade it. Somebody as oldschool as Schumacher knowing F1 cars in and out is probably more prone to simulator sickness if something isn't behaving as expected.
The only time I ever got seasick was when I was with the army and participated in an marine exercise on the north sea while we had quite huge waves and they were rather trying to get us seasick. I really hope that playing with the Rift will be nothing like that for me!
If there's no motion because you're sitting in a chair it's not the same as beeing on a boat, then there's only the visual part, not the perceived one. We'll see, i expect no problems if the visual part like headtracking and latency is allright. Otherwise you would also get motion sick by walking around virtually..
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

STRZ wrote:
GeraldT wrote: I have read an article about Michael Schumacher not being able to train on the simulator due to motion sickness - so I don't think it is as you say.

I was reffering to a simulator without motion system as not problematic if the other stuff is done right. You refer to motion simulators!

And take in mind that Mercedes stated that the old ( motion) simulator was the cause beeing not precise enough and that they wanted to uprgade it. Somebody as oldschool as Schumacher knowing F1 cars in and out is probably more prone to simulator sickness if something isn't behaving as expected.
The only time I ever got seasick was when I was with the army and participated in an marine exercise on the north sea while we had quite huge waves and they were rather trying to get us seasick. I really hope that playing with the Rift will be nothing like that for me!
If there's no motion because you're sitting in a chair it's not the same as beeing on a boat, then there's only the visual part, not the perceived one. We'll see, i expect no problems if the visual part like headtracking and latency is allright. Otherwise you would also get motion sick by walking around virtually..
Ahh okay, I was expecting you were talking about the simulators with build in motion.

And I have to correct myself - I remember a Gamecube title "Monkey something" that had you play on a world where everything was shaking like a boat on heavy waves. We played on a projection screen and I remember I had to stop every minute or so before I was able to continue. I was not getting sick, but dizzy.

I wonder if I can train myself - I also needed a while before I was able ot play with 3DVision for hours. At the beginning I got a headache really fast.

Return to “Oculus VR”