Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

zino
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

Post by zino »

I'm #180, and I check every 12h or so. If there is any change I'll let you know.
Flim
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Flim »

I'm 123 and notta... I will post as well when it happens!
ften
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ften »

zalo wrote:Have anyone's orders been marked as shipped? I'm 811 here and no sign of shipping.

Perhaps they aren't shipping in order.
I'm 819, so hopefully when you see an update so will I.
KlausFly
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by KlausFly »

7815 - Order Ready
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

W00000000000000000T.

Just had a nice present arrive at the door. Had a quick opening, its awseome. Will do a detailed report once i get home from work and have a play!!!

:woot
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

Okta wrote:W00000000000000000T.

Just had a nice present arrive at the door. Had a quick opening, its awseome. Will do a detailed report once i get home from work and have a play!!!

Pics or it didn't happen ;)
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

zino wrote:I'm #180, and I check every 12h or so. If there is any change I'll let you know.
Really? There have been times where I've checked every fifteen minutes or so.
Diorama
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Diorama »

WHAAAAAAAAT!?!?!?

For real!?!?!
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

What's wrong with you. This is obviously a day to call in sick.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Where do you live? What was your order number?
supermike
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by supermike »

Okta

Fail...
martinP
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by martinP »

Lets return to the initial purpose of this thread:

If you receive confirmation (or receive the box without confirmation) just check here if you have the highest order ID posted here. Only then post info with your order ID here.
Flim
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Flim »

There has to be some shipping today... Shoot, I would go help put labels on boxes... I fly a citation into Orange county all the time, Oculus is right down the street. ;)
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

I get the feeling they are trying to time the first deliveries just right. Not sure why. Maybe to maximize publicity? We'll see.
bizarrobrian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bizarrobrian »

Pingles wrote:I get the feeling they are trying to time the first deliveries just right. Not sure why. Maybe to maximize publicity? We'll see.
Perhaps there is something specifically special or different about the dev kits that hasn't been communicated out yet. Then, it would make sense that they would want to time the delivery with the announcement of the features at GDC.

I'll admit though, thats a bit of a stretch
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

Okta wrote: W00000000000000000T.
Just had a nice present arrive at the door. Had a quick opening, its awseome. Will do a detailed report once i get home from work and have a play!!! :woot
Yeah, me too, I received a very nice present today, wonderful, in a beautiful box :woot ...

... but it's only a razer hydra, for God's sake :lol:
Mel

Post by Mel »

crespo80 wrote:
Okta wrote: W00000000000000000T.
Just had a nice present arrive at the door. Had a quick opening, its awseome. Will do a detailed report once i get home from work and have a play!!! :woot
Yeah, me too, I received a very nice present today, wonderful, in a beautiful box :woot ...

... but it's only a razer hydra, for God's sake :lol:
Doh! Me too...a Razer Hydra arrived today.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

bizarrobrian wrote:
Pingles wrote:I get the feeling they are trying to time the first deliveries just right. Not sure why. Maybe to maximize publicity? We'll see.
Perhaps there is something specifically special or different about the dev kits that hasn't been communicated out yet. Then, it would make sense that they would want to time the delivery with the announcement of the features at GDC.

I'll admit though, thats a bit of a stretch
They wouldn't be so cruel would they?
It's one thing to miss your deadline by 3 or 4 months because of hardware availability problems, it's quite another to deliberately delay shipping your already late product that everyone is anxiously waiting for just because you want them to get it later.
I don't think they'd do that. I think shipping 5,000 Rifts (and 2000 other rewards) all over the world, with various different kinds of rewards packed in, is just difficult, and they are trying to get it right.
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

i really hope they ship the units soon wed already no other annoucements they said they would be shipped before GDC but that is in a few days.....lets hope things are ok because any delay here would mean a delay for the recient preorder guys "is scared". But hopefully all is well :-) that and i want impressions and videos and demos and stuffs!
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

Finishing touches on the SDK is a more likely culprit for the shipping delay. I know the VIP devs like Valve and such have a version of the SDK, but that does not mean it is ready for the general public.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

oculusfan wrote:Finishing touches on the SDK is a more likely culprit for the shipping delay. I know the VIP devs like Valve and such have a version of the SDK, but that does not mean it is ready for the general public.
If that is true:

ALERT TO OCULUS: JUST SEND THE RIFT! EVEN IF I JUST WEAR IT AROUND THE HOUSE I AM FINE!
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

oculusfan wrote:Finishing touches on the SDK is a more likely culprit for the shipping delay. I know the VIP devs like Valve and such have a version of the SDK, but that does not mean it is ready for the general public.
Does not make sense... It's a web download, it will not change the shipping date..
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Seriously, now I'm thinking they want to make a big surprise with this shipping hype, maybe they already shipped and they didn't tell us? It would be unusual, but it certainly would be cool!
Since Palmer is still a young guy, maybe that was his idea, at least that's what I'm hoping.. The hype is driving me crazy right now :P
ja30278
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ja30278 »

densohax wrote:Seriously, now I'm thinking they want to make a big surprise with this shipping hype, maybe they already shipped and they didn't tell us? It would be unusual, but it certainly would be cool!
Since Palmer is still a young guy, maybe that was his idea, at least that's what I'm hoping.. The hype is driving me crazy right now :P

On their 2/27 update they said:

"We’ll make a Kickstarter announcement as soon as boxes start leaving the warehouse. "

So I would presume that shipping hasn't started yet.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

ja30278 wrote: On their 2/27 update they said:

"We’ll make a Kickstarter announcement as soon as boxes start leaving the warehouse. "

They also told us that DooM3 would be ready :P

*** I honestly don't care about doom3 btw, just joking ...
Kerry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kerry »

densohax wrote:
ja30278 wrote: On their 2/27 update they said:

They also told us that DooM3 would be ready :P

*** I honestly don't care about doom3 btw, just joking ...
Is it possible for people to receive them before GDC if they haven't started shipping already?
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

densohax wrote:Does not make sense... It's a web download, it will not change the shipping date..
I wonder if they feel obligated to have it on physical media. If so they may just be waiting for the CD press to be done.
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

There's no way they're going to ship these out without providing tracking info.

Even if they don't get shipped until Friday, I think people in SoCal would have them when GDC starts on Monday. I'm in San Diego and I usually get stuff shipped via UPS from the LA/OC area in 1 business day.
Hermit
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hermit »

They said they will be shipping to backers from mid march to mid april. As usual, expect it closer to mid april.
joakizmo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by joakizmo »

They probably don't want youtube unboxing videos and reviews hit the net just before their first official appearance. If I were running the show, I'd actually wait until after GDC. This way they would keep building the hype, while having full control over the actual first impressions. However we may feel about it, it's wise for the future of Oculus and thus wise for the future of VR.

I wanted my Rift twenty years ago, I wanted it ten years ago, I wanted it in my hands before Christmas 2012, I want it in my hands right now and I'm quite okay with waiting just another week, just so Oculus can showcase the Rift and have the best possible first official appearance at GDC.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

They seemed very clear in saying that we will have them before GDC. I'd be surprised if they changed their minds. They repeated it even a week ago on Reddit.

Found the post:
[–]palmerluckey 129 points 5 days ago
We are still on target to have a lot of units in people's hands by GDC, as per the last few updates we have given. ;)
Last edited by Pingles on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norgoth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by norgoth »

joakizmo wrote:They probably don't want youtube unboxing videos and reviews hit the net just before their first official appearance. If I were running the show, I'd actually wait until after GDC. This way they would keep building the hype, while having full control over the actual first impressions. However we may feel about it, it's wise for the future of Oculus and thus wise for the future of VR.

I wanted my Rift twenty years ago, I wanted it ten years ago, I wanted it in my hands before Christmas 2012, I want it in my hands right now and I'm quite okay with waiting just another week, just so Oculus can showcase the Rift and have the best possible first official appearance at GDC.
Fully agree with you
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

joakizmo wrote:They probably don't want youtube unboxing videos and reviews hit the net just before their first official appearance. If I were running the show, I'd actually wait until after GDC.
Yes, but you don't have a conscience. Hopefully Oculus do.
Qoheleth
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Qoheleth »

Kerry wrote: Is it possible for people to receive them before GDC if they haven't started shipping already?
Only if they ship by tomorrow. If they do, then only Californians within the 1 day mark will receive them. Saturdays and Sundays do not count as they are not business days. I used to work at a fedex/ups shipping center.
ja30278
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ja30278 »

joakizmo wrote:They probably don't want youtube unboxing videos and reviews hit the net just before their first official appearance. If I were running the show, I'd actually wait until after GDC. This way they would keep building the hype, while having full control over the actual first impressions. However we may feel about it, it's wise for the future of Oculus and thus wise for the future of VR.

That would contradict Palmer's assertion that there would be "a ton of dev kits in people's hands before GDC". Keywords are "ton", "in people's hands", and "before GDC".

Although at this point, it seems pretty unlikely to happen. If they haven't shipped already, then I can't imagine that they'll get a 'ton' before GDC.
joakizmo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by joakizmo »

2EyeGuy wrote:
joakizmo wrote:If I were running the show, I'd actually wait until after GDC.
Yes, but you don't have a conscience.
True.
K701
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by K701 »

jack612 wrote:There's no way they're going to ship these out without providing tracking info.

Even if they don't get shipped until Friday, I think people in SoCal would have them when GDC starts on Monday. I'm in San Diego and I usually get stuff shipped via UPS from the LA/OC area in 1 business day.
They are probably not shipping from California. At least they are 100% not shipping from their office, and instead are using a shipping center. I asked for some changes to my order and was told it would cause a delay in the order because for what I requested, they would have to ship it from the shipping center to their office, then back to me. So I opted for no changes.

Where the shipping center is though I have no idea.
topas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by topas »

Here are my ideas for the shipment status:

1. They did not received the first batch, but they will receive the kits the *next 2 days and immediately start shipping at the 23. (maybe at 24. 1-day till GDC, long enought the first ones will receive the kits at the beginning of GDC)
2. They received allready the first batch and pre kickstarters got them allready (the pre-kickstarters are very silent at the moment (...) while they are under gentlemens agreement or NDA :lol:). So it is possible they are allready waiting for a second batch which must arrive within
the * - and the second batch covers the rest or most of the kickstarter orders.

Well, ok - the last part of my theory is more kind of wishful thinking :lol: but i'm certain they are not cruel let us wait while allready sitting on the first batch, at least i hope so.
Wait - one thing came this second to my mind: What if they managed to start the factory 2 oder 3 weeks earlier back running - this will give in (yes, i know...) best and mostly impossible case another 7500 rifts............. :woot

Maybe someone other not that lazy like me is going to check the last posts of the pre kickstarters with boardsearch and look for some hidden info between lines - their thread is untouched the last days.

Jesus, everytime a big challenge to post something as non native speaker with basic english skills :mrgreen:
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

[quotejThat would contradict Palmer's assertion that there would be "a ton of dev kits in people's hands before GDC". Keywords are "ton", "in people's hands", and "before GDC".

Although at this point, it seems pretty unlikely to happen. If they haven't shipped already, then I can't imagine that they'll get a 'ton' before GDC.[/quote]

If you want to get real nitpicky about it, a "ton" of dev kits means about 325 dev kits.
alekki
Cross Eyed!

Post by alekki »

A ton of VIP devs might already have Rifts. Maybe the rest of us have to wait a week or two more.

Return to “Oculus VR”