Prototype Name BmotionVR: omnidirectional treadmill

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Dantesinferno
Cross Eyed!

Re: Prototype Name BmotionVR: omnidirectional treadmill

Post by Dantesinferno »

I just saw the thread and wow it's awesome.. I feel like he beat me to the idea, which there is nothing wrong with. I think it's great and I would definitely pledge along with it. I honestly just wanted to try and leave my mark in virtual reality, kind of like Palmer. Just the right opportunity at the wrong time. I'm just glad someone is out there making this. I would definitely purchase janvr's version tho.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

I made some significant edits to my previous post, so you may want to go back and reread it thoroughly. ;)
Dantesinferno
Cross Eyed!

Post by Dantesinferno »

I think I may stop working on it due to Janvr's version . He is more capable of doing it right now. I'm 16 and don't have sufficient funds and knowledge to compete and complete it in a timely matter. I would still have to learn more about programming to create it. His idea is literally the same as mine. :cry: I'm alittle pissed but ill get over it , I'm just glad it is actually being made.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Dantesinferno wrote:... His idea is literally the same as mine. :cry: I'm a little pissed but ill get over it , I'm just glad it is actually being made.
Don't be "pissed". You are young. Read this:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2010/0 ... ideas.html
It's so funny when I hear people being so protective of ideas. (People who want me to sign an NDA to tell me the simplest idea.) To me, ideas are worth nothing unless executed. They are just a multiplier. Execution is worth millions. To make a business, you need to multiply the two. The most brilliant idea, with no execution, is worth $20. The most brilliant idea takes great execution to be worth $20,000,000. That's why I don't want to hear people's ideas. I'm not interested until I see their execution.
"Genius is 1% Inspiration and 99% Perspiration." - Thomas Alva Edison

“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.” - George Bernard Shaw

"No matter who you are, some scholar can show you the great idea you had was had by someone before you." - Author Unknown

"There are no new ideas. There are only new ways of making them felt." - Audre Lorde
Dantesinferno
Cross Eyed!

Post by Dantesinferno »

Thanks for the info and support man, lol hopefully my music/guitar career can take off instead.. Thanks for the quick replies and info tho, that really shows a lot coming from someone I don't even know personally
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Dantesinferno wrote:Thanks for the info and support man, lol hopefully my music/guitar career can take off instead.. Thanks for the quick replies and info tho, that really shows a lot coming from someone I don't even know personally
I help people. That is what I do. Such is my way. I also try to clear up misinformation and disinformation when and where I find it, while expanding it with useful information of my own. I also try to inject hope and encouragement, mixed with subtle humor, when it seems to be the right time.

I hope you learned something from this adventure, and that you find another idea to explore. It is the exploration and sharing of novel ideas that keeps us young at heart and in spirit, and helps to make the world a better place.

Embrace life to its fullest, live long and prosper, and may the force be with you... :D
Zoide
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Zoide »

geekmaster wrote:
Dantesinferno wrote:Thanks for the info and support man, lol hopefully my music/guitar career can take off instead.. Thanks for the quick replies and info tho, that really shows a lot coming from someone I don't even know personally
I help people. That is what I do. Such is my way. I also try to clear up misinformation and disinformation when and where I find it, while expanding it with useful information of my own. I also try to inject hope and encouragement, mixed with subtle humor, when it seems to be the right time.

I hope you learned something from this adventure, and that you find another idea to explore. It is the exploration and sharing of novel ideas that keeps us young at heart and in spirit, and helps to make the world a better place.

Embrace life to its fullest, live long and prosper, and may the force be with you... :D
Awesome poster, that geekmaster! :)

I wish this forum had "Thanks" buttons and points like XDA so people like him could get recognized for their contributions.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Zoide wrote:
geekmaster wrote:

Awesome poster, that geekmaster! :)

I wish this forum had "Thanks" buttons and points like XDA so people like him could get recognized for their contributions.
Even though you cannot give me any bonus points here, thanks for the kind wishes.

EDIT: I had previously posted some links here to some of my accomplishments at another forum site, but somehow it just felt uncomfortable to "flaunt" my accomplishments, so I removed them. If they are as good as others say they are (where they are published) I think they can be found easily enough by those who want to find them. Let my new accomplishments here (when I get my Rift) speak for themselves as well. I can only hope that life will allow me to accomplish more of my dreams...
Flassan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Flassan »

Hi Dante

I've just got back from a week's skiing and have just found your email and this very interesting thread.
Sorry I didn't reply before but the Wi-Fi access in the hotel was abysmal. As I said in my email before I left I am very impressed by your desire to do something.

First of all I would like to put the record straight about 'tempers flaring' and my view of patents. It's totally understandable that my terse comments might give that impression but it's not a true reflection. I'm worried that if I expand on the rational and design decisions we've worked so hard to achieve it could be taken as a criticism of other solutions. If an issue with IPR comes up there is a legal obligation to declare it. You are not allowed to produce a product and keep quiet about its protection.

Also, don't assume that because you've seen a picture of something you are working on that it's the same or that your idea might not improve upon it.
It is perfectly possible to build upon others work so long as you reference it and I have to say that your record in that respect is admirable.
This is true of academic papers as well as patents. Patent law is extremely complex and once you've been through the process you'll understand why.
Very subtle differences can ensure a product to becomes fit for purpose and that may take a huge amount of lab work to achieve.
A patent has to fully disclose how an idea works as well as how to use it and you often need to demonstrate a working version to the examiner.
This is why papers and articles may no longer admissible as prior art. BTW you should probably budget at least $100,000 for each patent! :)
I really hope this necessarily short answer doesn't give any false impressions. I think the work of all members of this forum is fantastic and hope it continues.
Dantesinferno
Cross Eyed!

Post by Dantesinferno »

Thanks @flassan ! I'm thankful for your information and help , and sorry to be bothersome about the wizdish messages. I was really just bluffing about that "patent" just to scare of people who might take it. I am now working on something new.. A vr gun http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=16511
coresnake
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by coresnake »

Quitters never win.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

coresnake wrote:Quitters never win.
Subjective! What about cigarette smokers?

But really, per your intent, there is still vast room for innovation in the "Locomotion Platform" VR device category...

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”