Doom 3 BFG no longer supported at launch?

MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Doom 3 BFG no longer supported at launch?

Post by MrGreen »

Yes I can appreciate that but he does post in other threads on a regular basis. That was my point if that wasn't clear enough.

Anyway, baseless paranoia works, too.
ElMatarife
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ElMatarife »

Well, Palmer is going to have a ton more time on his hands after next Friday as everyone in China goes on vacation for four weeks for the New Year holidays. I'd expect him to start playing a LOT of catch up on correspondence, forum posts, etc.

And hopefully take a well deserved vacation to some place with no Internet.
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

They also used the 5.6" on the Jimmy Fallon show which was the last public showing of the Rift as far as I know. You would think for a big TV show they would want to show the nice manufactured product, not the one wrapped in black hockey stick tape (although it really doesn't look that bad). There must be a really good reason for this we are just not aware of, but I really hope they are not having problems migrating software over to the 7", like they thought, "oh this new screen will be easy to adjust to" now they are like "crap crap crap! this isn't working! We have 1000's of units in production and we can't get this to work!" I'm sure this is not the case though, but it really makes you wonder.
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

"Some unannounced feature, even a minor one" in the 7" model seems like a more likely reason to keep showing the 5.6" model to me, compared to "the larger one is now in production but we're still having problems with it"
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

mscoder610 wrote:"Some unannounced feature, even a minor one" in the 7" model seems like a more likely reason to keep showing the 5.6" model to me, compared to "the larger one is now in production but we're still having problems with it"
^ Hmmm... did not think of this! Now I'm excited for possible unannounced feature! Positional tracking perhaps? That would be too sweet!
Last edited by drgroove101 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Or even: we know it works. No bugs, no hiccups.

If you're going on TV with something I don't think that is the time to bring out the new device.

Even if the new one seemingly works great I could see going with the "ol' reliable" version.
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

Good point too, I didn't necessarily want to get other's hopes up with the 'new feature' comment.

As for myself, I only ordered a Dev Kit early/ mid January, so I have a fair amount of waiting to do anyway (2 months minimum).
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

mscoder610 wrote:"Some unannounced feature, even a minor one" in the 7" model seems like a more likely reason to keep showing the 5.6" model to me, compared to "the larger one is now in production but we're still having problems with it"
What possible reason would they have to keep a dev kit feature secret at this stage while already in production?

The fact that the "superior" 7 inch RIft is not on show is very mysterious.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Okta wrote:
What possible reason would they have to keep a dev kit feature secret at this stage while already in production?

We updated our Kickstarter page this morning, nothing mysterious or secret now. :P
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

PalmerTech wrote:
Okta wrote:

The fact that the "superior" 7 inch Rift is not on show is very mysterious.
We updated our Kickstarter page this morning, nothing mysterious or secret now. :P
WOW! Nice! Ok this is starting to make sense now. With the updates Palmer and the Oculus team posted, the 7" dev kit has some really cool features for guys like me who wear glasses and are near sighted. They have some adjustments where you can wear the rift with your glasses, or try out one of 2 different lenses to see if you can use the rift without your glasses. This is great and a very welcome announcement indeed! The only problem I guess is once you've found your custom setting that works for you, and you want to show it to your friends, well then you might have to go and change everything for each person, although the settings aren't so robust where it would take a lot of time to adjust so I guess it isn't that much of a chore. I for one will gladly change out the lenses so my friends can see how cool the rift is and continue to spread the word!

It still seems weird that they didn't show the more aesthetically pleasing model on the Fallon show though, as Mr. Fallon doesn't wear glasses so they would not of had to adjust the rift at all. I guess it shows there commitment to keeping the new features a secret! Also they at the time they may not have received their 40 first batch units from the factory so they wanted to make sure they were all good before spilling the beans!
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mayaman »

Yeah today's news really blew me away. Palmer, you guys are truly gamers and hopefully VR will finally take off. Been waiting over 20 years. I'm inching ever closer to 50 years old and I'm running out of time before all my reflexes are crap. :p

Great update thank you
Okta

Post by Okta »

PalmerTech wrote:
Okta wrote:

Thanks Palmer and congrats, you look so happy in that photo :)
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

mayaman wrote:Yeah today's news really blew me away. Palmer, you guys are truly gamers and hopefully VR will finally take off. Been waiting over 20 years. I'm inching ever closer to 50 years old and I'm running out of time before all my reflexes are crap. :p

Great update thank you

We make up for it by playing games in a way that is sneaky and evil. One of the best quake arena players in the world was a friend of mine who at the age of 40+ could handle a quake room full of veteran teenagers, by himself.

IIRC, from what I read, they made the first 40 themselves, which has it's own form of logic, with regard to going over the assembly process in person, so it is intimately known by all involved, and thus done right, when the time comes. That if someone calls up and says, 'we have a problem' that it can be visualized and a fix attempted or completed, in minutes. When I was involved in manufacturing, I did the same. I needed to be involved in every aspect of factory work, at a minimum, so I could be familiar with any problem that I come across. Overall, I spent about a month on the factory floor, learning all the processes and hardware, for each product.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

Return to “Oculus VR”