Going to college, need a project.

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
SouthernCross
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Going to college, need a project.

Post by SouthernCross »

bobv5 wrote:I'm only working part time at the moment, so am also going to college. As part of my course I need a project to work on. I have a few ideas, but I'm wondering if any of you guys have any better ones.

1: VR gun recoil- In theory I have already done this. In reality it has not been tested, and will likely have stupid software bugs that will take ages to fix by myself. EDIT-If any of you software guys are intrested I can post details of the hardware.

2: Ambilight clone - I think even if consumer HMD's get really awesome, people will be using normal screens for quite a few years. Current Ambilight clone systems have a big problem, in that they require PC side driver support, and simply don't work with non PC systems. I have already done this, but the PC driver software is a pain in the anus. I would like to make something that connects via a splitter cable and is invisible to the source.

3: Motion tracking- Seems to be mosty a software issue. I suck at software.

4: Z80 computer- Will help me learn machine code, but I'm not sure that is usefull now.

5: Sumo robot- Robot's are awesome.
How about an intercontinental ballistic missile equipped with a nuclear warhead?
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Erm, what?

Do you have any idea how expensive uranium is?
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

bobv5 wrote:Erm, what?

There's the expense, but also the red tape! I don't think the paperwork would really be worth it for a college project. Start small... send a rocket to an asteroid or something like that.
SouthernCross
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SouthernCross »

bobv5 wrote:Erm, what?

You can buy uranium glass that glows under UV light, it's made with yellowcake... why not just buy broken uranium glass and process it in a cyclotron?

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”