SiliconMicroDisplay ST1080 - Short CES Review

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: SiliconMicroDisplay ST1080 - Short CES Review

Post by Synexious »

Alright, January is almost over, and preorders were initially set to begin in December. When will this HMD be released? We still don't even know when to expect preorders!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Synexious wrote:Alright, January is almost over, and preorders were initially set to begin in December. When will this HMD be released? We still don't even know when to expect preorders!
may be another vaporware like TDvisor......very soon the site may disappear.....who knows...
i have doubts that this 'd compete with Sony ever frankly

even if they do accept pre-orders i'd cautious using my card to pay.....who knows they take the payment and shutdown...
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

They didn't have very much press, but what little I did see (especially the MTBS3D interview) made them seem like a very serious company. I'm not surprised by production delays, but they seem like they will ship a product at some point.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

even if they do accept pre-orders i'd cautious using my card to pay.....who knows they take the payment and shutdown...
Your liability with credit cards is usually just $50, so thats really a non issue.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

1) the booth they demoed the stuff did not generate hype as it 'd have been whether it was by design or default - i think the move was to show venture capitalist that they'd make one but the publicity was missing as if it was only half-hearted effort! - makes me suspect if they really wanted to make a consumer product ever

2)no news as to pre-orders - i think the fanfare is gone.....and soon they will be as well....hehehe :)
it's just a matter of time for those Korean motherf***ers!
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I think it's likely that they are just a small tech company full of engineers. Notice they didn't even have a marketing person on the floor. Just an engineer-turned-CEO and another engineer. I've worked in those type of companies before and know what its like. Before you have full-time marketing staff, scheduling press and conferences gets put on the back-burner because everyone on staff is involved with engineering. They probably scheduled their booth late (as evidenced by their placement), worked to the last minute getting their engineering samples ready, and didn't make a full marketing push like other well funded companies are able to do. I am (cautiously) optimistic that the lack of media coverage reflects more about the size and organization of the company than the quality of it.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Seems like a good thing to me. Let the engineers do the best job they can without being held back by marketing trying to sell the product as something it isn't, forcing foolish design choices or artificial limitations.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

ancjob wrote:1) the booth they demoed the stuff did not generate hype as it 'd have been whether it was by design or default - i think the move was to show venture capitalist that they'd make one but the publicity was missing as if it was only half-hearted effort! - makes me suspect if they really wanted to make a consumer product ever

2)no news as to pre-orders - i think the fanfare is gone.....and soon they will be as well....hehehe :)
If the goal was to generate hype/attract investors, they would have spent a lot more money on being flashy. Remember, this company has been working on the ST1080 for years in private, why do that if they want people to give them money? These guys are engineers, not marketers (Though if you look on their site, they are looking to hire people for that).

Going to have to agree with Brantlew, a minor supply delay is no reason to write off the company. I am very, very confident that they are for real. Will fire off an email and see if there is any news.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Yes PalmerTech,
You should tell them that posting bad news(a delay) is better than posting no news.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Also, don't know if you guys saw this post on their blog but it seems they are reading MTBS and noticed some confusion over 3D support:

http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/1/po ... t1080.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

bobv5 wrote:Seems like a good thing to me. Let the engineers do the best job they can without being held back by marketing trying to sell the product as something it isn't, forcing foolish design choices or artificial limitations.
Or worse - generating marketing hype too early in the product development cycle and then disappointing everyone with the speed of progress.

A lot of people don't appreciate all the competing forces and politics going on behind the scenes of these tech companies with engineering pitted against management/marketing/finance to meet ever-changing and ill-conceived requirements and schedules.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

brantlew wrote:
bobv5 wrote:Seems like a good thing to me. Let the engineers do the best job they can without being held back by marketing trying to sell the product as something it isn't, forcing foolish design choices or artificial limitations.
Or worse - generating marketing hype too early in the product development cycle and then disappointing everyone with the speed of progress.

A lot of people don't appreciate all the competing forces and politics going on behind the scenes of these tech companies with engineering pitted against management/marketing/finance to meet ever-changing and ill-conceived requirements and schedules.
So absolutely true. This is what killed so, so many companies that were part of the VR bubble, which is one of the reasons I don't want to promise anything with my own work until I am 100% sure.

Even companies with massive resources like Sony have experienced production delays, SMD is still doing better than them in that regard! :lol:
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Planned obsolescence is the keyword, why give the people what they want if you can implement those ideas into ten more iterations of your product and save money researching technologies etc.?

The other company offering a similar product for the same clientele or pricerange is doing the same. They have like a silent agreement not to exceed the competition too much,technically, because they know that they will get both more money releasing more iterations than beeing ahead of the game for a short period of time "wasting" their research more or less in a marketer point of view. Their competitors just would release something similar or superior shortly after, shortening the cycle and long term profit for both parties. Imagine, where we would be with technology or in general if they just would comepete in a sportive manner not sticking to silent agreements?

Unfortunately planned obsolescence is the motor of our economy, without it it would fail immediately.

Here's a interesting video about planned obsolescence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bxzU1HFC7Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Yeah, I'm aware of that, doesn't mean I have to like it though. I can't say much more than that on here, other than that I disagree with a lot of how the modern world is run.

Got the video open for later, the missues is watching tv at moment.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

So in reailty us PC gamers are in fact limited to 720p if we want any kind of smooth gameplay, with that news i dont see much specs that are better on this one than the HMZ.. i think ill stay with my HMZ preorder
cybereality wrote:Also, don't know if you guys saw this post on their blog but it seems they are reading MTBS and noticed some confusion over 3D support:

http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/1/po ... t1080.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mellott124
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mellott124 »

CyberVillain wrote:So in reailty us PC gamers are in fact limited to 720p if we want any kind of smooth gameplay, with that news i dont see much specs that are better on this one than the HMZ.. i think ill stay with my HMZ preorder
cybereality wrote:Also, don't know if you guys saw this post on their blog but it seems they are reading MTBS and noticed some confusion over 3D support:

I agree completely. For PC use the ST1080 isn't much better than the Sony.
People have been down playing the Sony with fit issues, screen door effect, etc... Do you guys forget already what we had before the Sony HMD!!
I started with the VFX-1 and I-glasses. The Sony HMZ-T1 is flat out amazing.

However, having the capability to view images in 1080p on a consumer HMD without mortgaging the house, is enough for me to buy an ST1080.
Even if that won't always be at 60fps at 1080p.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I think they have different uses. Personally I am buying an HMZ as soon as I get back from vacation, and I'm pretty sure thats the right choice. For VR applications I think the higher FOV is going to win out over resolution any day. But the ST1080 could be useful, for example if you just want to watch 24P video content. Or if you are doing some mobile/AR type stuff where you need a light headset, USB powered, etc. And, of course, as a desktop replacement it may actual be usable. But for straight gaming I think the HMZ is still probably the champ.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Its a bit of a toss up. The slightly higher FOV of the HMZ would be nice, but it sounds as though the ergonomics, weight, etc of the ST1080 is quite superior. Combined with the fact that I can still play games @ 1080P using it in 2D mode (dunno why I would tho), makes me want the ST1080 a bit more really. Personally, it will come down to the ACTUAL price. If I can get a ST1080 for $800, i'll buy it, since I can't find any HMZ's for that price currently...
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

The ST1080's lighter weight, more comfortable fit, and larger exit pupil makes it useable for active, full freedom VR. Palmer said one can jump and move quickly and the ST1080 will remind in focus. The HMZ blurs with slight motion, it's uncomfortable and it's uncomfortable without modification. I'm going to sell my HMZ for an ST1080. I plan to use the ST1080 for desktop replacement, so I can lie in bed and not be limited to my iPad, 3D Blu-ray, full freedom FPS, and even while on a treadmill.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I agree with Synexious. I don't give a flip about the resolution difference, but the ergonomics seem to clearly position the ST1080 as the better motion VR device. Maybe a heavily modded (totally repackaged) Sony would win out because of FOV, but even then you have to factor in the awful book-sized control box.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

bobv5 - seems you are hinting at Sony HMZ....a great product marred by the ergonomics only... :lol:

regd. SMD st1080 : it seems they will remain in stealth mode forever occasionally exhibiting their magnum opus and going back into stealth mode... :lol:

am also waiting for cinemizer OLED let's see who 's able to 'permanently' come out of 'stealth mode' to deliver an actual classy product for the masses... :lol:
mcsilvio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mcsilvio »

Can they be modded to look like Geordi La Forge's visor?

:P
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

mcsilvio wrote:Can they be modded to look like Geordi La Forge's visor?

:P
Then it might not be ergonomic ;). Due to the VISOR prop, LeVar Burton, in addition to having trouble seeing, had splitting headaches throughout his acting career on the TNG set.
robert135
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by robert135 »

Sort of looks like prototype vaporware at this point.

They are still after ces not taking orders, just preorders. No actual units to use anywhere.

We will see if they actually are here in a few months, or are just still showing what could be, rather than what is.
mellott124
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mellott124 »

They just wrote on their blog today that there's an announcement coming Feb. 22nd.
http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/blog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

one of the users received the newsletter which he updated on the facebook....Good news though
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are pleased to announce that SiliconMicroDisplay (SMD) will begin taking pre-orders for the ST1080 on March 1st. We will starting shipping to USA customers in early May.

We are also pleased to offer a reduced price of $699 fo...r a limited time - March 1st through March 21st. After that period, we will return to the full price of $799.
re):
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the more interesting part for me (I am from germany):

We are concurrently working on the pricing and availability details for other countries, and we'll make that information available as soon as we get them over the next few weeks.
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mayaman »

ancjob wrote:1) the booth they demoed the stuff did not generate hype as it 'd have been whether it was by design or default - i think the move was to show venture capitalist that they'd make one but the publicity was missing as if it was only half-hearted effort! - makes me suspect if they really wanted to make a consumer product ever

"please Lord, just one thunderbolt."

They start pre-orders March 1st
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

i received this in my mail today.....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Email Subscriber,

We are pleased to announce that SiliconMicroDisplay (SMD) will begin taking pre-orders for the ST1080 on March 1st. We will starting shipping to USA customers in early May.

We are also pleased to offer a reduced price of $699 for a limited time - March 1st through March 21st. After that period, we will return to the full price of $799.

We are concurrently working on the pricing and availability details for other countries, and we'll make that information available as soon as we get them over the next few weeks.

The ST1080 is the world's first consumer head mounted display to offer Full HD 1080p (2M pixels) picture quality, see-through technology, and mobility features. The ST1080 is perfect for watching Blu-ray movies and playing console games while staying in touch with your surroundings.

The pre-order information will go live on our website tomorrow, February 22nd.

Sincerely,

Paul Jin
CEO, SiliconMicroDisplay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if st1080 works great better than any HMD known to mankind.....then Sony will have tough time ahead to sell their 'Dorky' crap unless they re-invent HMZ on the lines on st1080......Sony are u listening..?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Ah, now I know why ancjob is such a pain the ass, he's just pissed they lost the war.... hahahaahahahaha
space123321

Post by space123321 »

Please orrect me if I am wrong - however does this unit only display frame packed material (i.e. 3d Bluray). I thought I read that it will not display side by side material, however I beleive this was in a forum comment.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

CyberVillain wrote:Ah, now I know why ancjob is such a pain the ass, he's just pissed they lost the war.... hahahaahahahaha
CyberVillain - if i were to be doing with words then you will start to cry so let's put this "mudslinging" aside and be constructive....i can play with words better than you do !

why feel frustrated - lemme tell u - the difference is that u guys buy and think later whereas i do the opposite being a wise-man .....which explains ur frustration of being treated as a 'guinea pig' or lab-rats...by the mighty Sony and i am there to tease , hahahahahahahah !

my instincts tell me - the real winner will be st1080 and those who have sony will be selling the 'dorky crap' [after applying all the mods they can think from their heads down to their ar**] for a pittance and guess what there will be no takers to take the bait. and to add insult to injury - sony 'd come up with a better design and say "you were the guinea pigs so deserved to be treated that way just like lab-rats , now buy the version 2 "

so with mods applied - warranty lost , product value depreciated and still more investment to upgrade to version 2 - and Sony laughing , teasing and telling u to upgrade to version 2 - who's frustated i think nuff said....if u have a brain you know.... !

like i said i'd pay usd100 more than be a 'guinea-pig' just to be on the safe side........regd st1080 as well
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

ancjob wrote:
CyberVillain wrote:Ah, now I know why ancjob is such a pain the ass, he's just pissed they lost the war.... hahahaahahahaha
CyberVillain - if i were to be doing with words then you will start to cry so let's put this "mudslinging" aside and be constructive....i can play with words better than you do !

why feel frustrated - lemme tell u - the difference is that u guys buy and think later whereas i do the opposite being a wise-man .....which explains ur frustration of being treated as a 'guinea pig' or lab-rats...by the mighty Sony and i am there to tease , hahahahahahahah !

my instincts tell me - the real winner will be st1080 and those who have sony will be selling the 'dorky crap' [after applying all the mods they can think from their heads down to their ar**] for a pittance and guess what there will be no takers to take the bait. and to add insult to injury - sony 'd come up with a better design and say "you were the guinea pigs so deserved to be treated that way just like lab-rats , now buy the version 2 "

so with mods applied - warranty lost , product value depreciated and still more investment to upgrade to version 2 - and Sony laughing , teasing and telling u to upgrade to version 2 - who's frustated i think nuff said....if u have a brain you know.... !

like i said i'd pay usd100 more than be a 'guinea-pig' just to be on the safe side........regd st1080 as well
Valid points (For once coming from you), BUT.... They are only valid to standard consumer products were you have a huge number of products to select from... This market are limited to one (Or maybe two now when the st1080 is around the corner) product

About you being the wiser man, your earlier posts have proven you to be a pretty stupid person not capable of forming constructive arguments, it will take you a long time to change that trust on this forum..
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

CyberVillain wrote:
ancjob wrote:

Valid points (For once coming from you), BUT.... They are only valid to standard consumer products were you have a huge number of products to select from... This market are limited to one (Or maybe two now when the st1080 is around the corner) product

About you being the wiser man, your earlier posts have proven you to be a pretty stupid person not capable of forming constructive arguments, it will take you a long time to change that trust on this forum..
well you know who's stupid and who's not - lets not get into that!

buying and thinking after that for mods and crap like that , what they were doing before buying - doing adult 'fun' stuff in the toilet using their dicks to click the 'buy' button....and now scouring the net looking for making the wrongs right......guys like that simply amaze me !

f**k the trust i do not like taking advise from dorks.....who have got a lot of money and a thought process in their ar**s.

like i said i research a lot before putting my money just like a wise businessman who invests after a lot of research.....

Sony was jumpy in coming up with HMZ - they 'd have gone about just like cinemizer / SMD did - listening to people what they want , market research , pre-launch trials and evaluations from third party pros addressing issues which plagued the HMD since time immorial........e.g low exit pupil, cheap ergonomics , low-res panels , wall outlet to power control units , obsolete 3D input , narrow connectivity options etc.....

i have high hopes with both cinemizer and SMD and still being cautious - do not wanna be a guinea-pig either .....
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I stopped reading that after two sentences, you make no sense, either you're dyslexics or just plain stupid, i dont care, but my eyes bleed when I read your compositions, and I'm not even a native English speaker... The pep's from the GB and US must think you are a even bigger retard than me...

edit: and I've seen you repeat the dork word several times on this forum, I'm a hardware junkie yes, I love to buy cool stuff.. You can ask my girlfriend who is a blond Swedish model if im a dork, f**k face!
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

ancjob, as far as I am aware everyone on this section of the forum fits your deffinition of "dork".

I have to ask, do you consider yourself to be a dork?

If you do not, why to you wish to converse with a group of people you class as dorks?
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

If we do a poll who is the stupid guy here, I could bet one name will come up top. I expect even ST1080 will get some mindless rant... Let's wait and see.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hmm... now I am wondering if I should get this instead of the HMZ. Lets not get too side-tracked here with this flame. SMD did just announce they are taking orders starting next week for $699. A 1080P HMD. For $699. Next week. Please people, do not lose focus.

I could just be reckless and buy it, but I know I *should* save the money. Hmmm.. decisions, decisions.
VRnerd2012
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VRnerd2012 »

Hi everyb'dy
just got in - fabulous site...just one word - wow!

st1080 - do these come with 'return policy'
what if they are not that good....there 'd be the option to return....
i guess i need to wait at least 3-4 yr to buy with the 'return' policy....
usd699 - lot of money for video glasses - i'd paid usd325 for my evg920e and they do work ok but not great...
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Why is he allowed to abuse the TOS?
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Why wouldn't you get this instead of an HMZ? The ST1080 is better in every way, except for having six degrees less FOV.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”