Discussion of what "true VR" is (Split from HMZ-T1 thread)

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Discussion of what "true VR" is (Split from HMZ-T1 threa

Post by WiredEarp »

On the topic, I do remember reading somewhere that submarine crews suffer from a greater chance of shortsightedness, due to them only ever focussing at close range. So, assuming that article was correct, then there can be long term issues associated with a fixed focus. However, lets note these guys are 24x7 in a close range environment, not just a few hours a day.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

If I want to watch 2D movies, I still prefer projector with at least 110" screen. But for 3D movie, the HMZ-T1 does feel more natural, better colour pop and no reduce brightness (which is great at dark scene where most 3D TV/projector will struggle as the light output is too low for low light details). I only used Ipad 2 for movie when I travel.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

pierreye wrote:If I want to watch 2D movies, I still prefer projector with at least 110" screen. But for 3D movie, the HMZ-T1 does feel more natural, better colour pop and no reduce brightness (which is great at dark scene where most 3D TV/projector will struggle as the light output is too low for low light details). I only used Ipad 2 for movie when I travel.
i started with HMDs to watch movie while laying on bed and to have 'cinema mode'....but with tablets galore - i prefer watching using them instead of HMDs.....to avoid 'fixed focus' issues which someone mentioned...associated with marine guys after all it's 'fixed focus' invariably linked to eye-issues when using HMDs for long durations....

But for 3D - there is still no better option than HMDs.....cannot afford those costly 3D plasma/LEDs at this stage...very expensive with active/passive 3D rendering ...so 3D still the best on HMDs....
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

"Now whether it was banned or never made , the point is we do not have had one official X-files case on VR which is disappointing!"

Ahh, it wasn't really banned. I was trying to make a joke, apparently I failed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Pers ... X-Files%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In season 7, so should see it soon.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

ancjob wrote:but with tablets galore - i prefer watching using them instead of HMDs.....to avoid 'fixed focus' issues which someone mentioned...associated with marine guys after all it's 'fixed focus' invariably linked to eye-issues when using HMDs for long durations....
Tablets are fixed focus, too. So are TVs and computer monitors. Any flat display that stays at the same distance is fixed focus! Using tablets and monitors might make you lose close up vision, but HMDs will not.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:
ancjob wrote:but with tablets galore - i prefer watching using them instead of HMDs.....to avoid 'fixed focus' issues which someone mentioned...associated with marine guys after all it's 'fixed focus' invariably linked to eye-issues when using HMDs for long durations....
Tablets are fixed focus, too. So are TVs and computer monitors. Any flat display that stays at the same distance is fixed focus! Using tablets and monitors might make you lose close up vision, but HMDs will not.
1)very true but they do not limit the vision to constraints applied via FOVs in case of HMDs....so u can have normal vision

2)one can have 'variable' focus by changing distance from monitor/tablet to make those eye-muscles work...what they are supposed to in normal vision unlike in HMDs....you have to take them off at regular intervals to make the eye-muscles work...what they are supposed to in normal vision

3)like i said once in a while 15-20 min exposure to HMDs - it's ok otherwise problematic...

also what HMDs are great viz-a-viz specs/optics/ergonomics
1)Z800 - great optics , large exit pupil - worst image quality
2)headplay - great image , bad optics - strains , no light blocking
3)generic china HMDs - worst image , worst optics
4)Sony HMD - image quality great [as per reviews] , bad ergonomics needs a LOT of refinement to be a capable product,optics not that great [as per reviews - difficult to focus]
5)Vuzix HMDs - bad / sub-par image , ergonomics not great to get excited about vuzix is well known for crap they make!
6)st1080 - no reviews
7)Cinemizer OLEDs - no reviews most likely using emagin OLEDs so a definite no-no for me
8)epson bt-100 - - no reviews so far - low fov , see through , pricey for specs

never tried wide5 , xsight/pisight - so cannot say

So do we have any consumer HMD which is the best on a/c of ergonomics/optics/resolution/fov[40+] for movies / gaming ?

i guess i am better off with tablets [already spent enough on z800,headplay and china crap]- then trying via hit'n'trial of a coterie of HMDs to find which is the best....at least have peripheral [read normal] vision intact !
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mayaman »

This thread has been rendered completely useless by the ranting of this internet know it all. STFU.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

mayaman wrote:This thread has been rendered completely useless by the ranting of this internet know it all. STFU.
Lulz. :mrgreen:
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

I told u guys from day one either he was armand from virtual realites and should keep these comments on the old stereo3d site, that place was full of bickering..

Haven't been on in a while but NICE job ANCJOB. You just wasted 10 minutes of my life reading ur crap..

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”