My PS3 3D Gaming Experience

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: My PS3 3D Gaming Experience

Post by Chiefwinston »

I have good and sad news. First the sad news.....the EyePet has died. After pooping on my floor, I brutally killed him. He won't make that mistake again. I did this while my grandduaghter was away. So my super grandpa status is still intact. So now I have a new Move controller and one new PS3 camera. I have ,also, downloaded the 2 latest 3D games from the playstation Store. They are Hustle Kings and Tumble. They both use the Move controller and are in 3D. These are not triple A games by any means. They are entertaining. But to be honest I'm itching for some real games. Hustle Kings is billiards. And a very nice console billiards game at that. The Move controller is a very precise controller. I liked the first one so much that I bought a second one, also. The 3D in Hustle Kings is adaquate. I get the best results with this game in the low 3D setting. All others produce a bothersome double image. I do see my friends and I drinking beers and playing this one on weekends. It is worth the small price that Sony charges for it- in my opinion. The different game modes are US 8-ball, 9 ball, snookers, and quite a few others that I don't quite understand just yet. I have purchased and downloaded all the add-on content and tables. In total I believe I spent $12.

I have more console updates coming regarding Tumble, and two more 3D blu-rays Coraline and Ice age 3D have finally arrived. Soo as time permits.
To be continued.........

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

well Ice age: Dawn of the dinasours plays perfectly on my PS3 and Pansonic 3D HDTV. I noticed that some settings reduce the 3D effect. I experienced zero ghosting with this 3D Blu-Ray here are my Panasonic settings.

Picture (3D)
Picture Mode: Cinema
contrast:+100
Brightness:+58
Color: +50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +50
Color Temp: Normal
color Mgmt: on
X.V.Color: auto
Photo enhancement: Blank
C.A.T.S.: off
Video NR: off
Blur Reduction: on
Aspect adjustment
Pc Adjustments
HDMI/DVI RBG Range (3D)
Advanced Picture (3D)> Mosquito NR: On
Black Level: Dark
24P Direct In: 96 hz

I think this is the sweet spot for this Movie. Other settings reduced the 3D effect because of incorrect black levels. At these settings I believe the 3D is equal to Monsters VS. aliens. This is the first Video that I have Played that looked the best at the Standard Cinema 3D setting. Just for clarity I think this 3D blu-ray is spectacular. I also, watched Coraline 3D at this same setting. Coraline is also, quite spectacular in blu-ray 3D. The Stereo seperation and convergence are a little stronger in Coraline. Coraline gets the early crown for the best 3D effects (seperation and convergence) from me. My brother has just recently gotten me a Samsung IMAX 3d documentary called Deep Sea 3D, Gallopagoase 3d, and Mummies 3d (sorry about the spelling) all on one 3D Blu-Ray. He also, got me a copy of How To Trian Your Dragon in 3D Blu-Ray. I'll let you know how those 3D blu-rays work out at a later time. Oh and theres not even a spec of ghosting in Coraline 3D- For those that are keeping score. I'll update later regarding the game Tumble with a move controller and in 3D.

Cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

And now for my take on that block buster game Tumble. First, this is not a triple AAA title. It's a small mini game. It's definetly not for everyone. Some will like it: some will kick it to the curb. Seeing that my Eyepet is dead. I'm now free to use my new move controller with other games. Tumble is kinda like the block stacking game Jenga. But this one is a computerized 3D version with a few other game modes. The 3D is adaquate at the standard mid setting. I found that if I increased the seperation beyond the default setting it induces a small amount of ghosting to objects in the background. But I think the 3d looks just fine at the default settings. Now the different game modes that I've come across involve the following.

1)stacking the block as high as you can.
2)Aligning blocks and mirrors to direct a laser at various targets.
3)placing explosive charges around a tower of pre-stacked blocks. The idea being you get points for nocking the tower down and the bigger the rubble radius the more points. This is a thinking mans game, because some of the levels are tough. Much like chess (great,great game). And so I like these Rubics cubish type challenges. I also like the use of the new move controller. It's not for every game. But I can see it's going to work nicely for many many different types of games.

Sony charged me $10.00 for this title. While I was at the playstation store I noticed that one could rent Monster House 3D for 5 bucks. I'm looking to buy that one. but it's there to rent for someone thats interested. It caught my attention because its the first shutter glasses 3d show for rent that I've come across.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Benerfe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benerfe »

Killzone 3 will be a benchmark for PS3 gaming, but I heard it requires more power from the ps3,uses more fps.

But anyways should be great along with the PlayStation move
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

I played Killzone 3 in stereo using the PS3 Move at ComicCon. It was good, but there is no way it was ever much higher than 30fps, I would say it was always between 25 and 30fps.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I have the monster house 3D blu-ray. Its an alright movie, nothing special storywise. The 3d was good, not great, but OK. I was more impressed by some other movies like Monsters vs Aliens or Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. But if you can rent it for $5, thats a good deal. I paid like $35 to buy it and I'll probably only watch it that once.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Yeah I can't wait for Killzone 3D. If it plays between 25 and 30 fps I'll be happy. I'd love for it to be 60 fps. But If it dips below about 20 fps I will be dissapointed. I played Killzone 2 all the way through and thought it was a great game.

PalmerTech when you played the demo with the Move controller. Did you hold the Move controller like a gun or in a holder with a gun shape? Any chance you used 2 move controllers? One for the look function and the other for aiming and shooting.

I've played some games that use 2 move controllers. And I thought it added considerably to the experience. So I'm kinda interested in how it will be incorperated into shooter type games(my favorite).

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Chiefwinston wrote: PalmerTech when you played the demo with the Move controller. Did you hold the Move controller like a gun or in a holder with a gun shape? Any chance you used 2 move controllers? One for the look function and the other for aiming and shooting.
No holder, I had to hold it sorta like a gun. It used a single Move controller with the glowing orb, and another one with an analog stick for movement.

Sony also had Gran Turismo on display with a force feedback seat and haptic steering wheel on a 52" 3D Bravia, it was sort of interesting... But the contrast was fairly low (To prevent ghosting?), and the separation was low as well. Was not impressed.

I meant at one point to post about my experiences, but I ended up going out of state for a few weeks right after ComicCon. :P
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Thanks PalmerTech, I have that extra Nav. controller that you refered to. Your also, the second person I've come across that has said the Gran Turismo 3D wasn't that impressive. I have my fingers crossed on that one. I'm actually thinking of getting a force feedback wheel and racing seat for Gran Turismo. but I think I'll wait and see the game first. So thanks for the heads up.

Does anyone know if Need for speed: hot pursuit will be in 3D for the PS3 at its launch. I've searched and I'm kinda confused as to is it or isn't it stereo 3D.

I'm doing research for my future gaming PC. Would some one be kind enough to let me know if the IZOD and DDD stereo software lets you adjust stereo seperation and convergence for individual games. I know the answer for the Nvidia- but I don't have any experience with the others. I wish Sony had a convergence option. I'd really like to get that killer off the screen 3D with my panasonic. So far I haven't had anything make me duck yet. And that's the 3D I'm really chasing after.

Cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Don't know much about DDD, but the IZ3D drivers can do that. They are the best stereo drivers on the market at the moment, in my opinion, and they just changed their licensing so that you get ALL the different output modes for only $40! So you can buy once, and it will work on all your hardware. :)

I would definitely try IZ3D. Takes a little longer to set up than Nvidia, but the results are much better, IMO.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yes, the DDD and Iz3D drivers allow you to adjust the 3D. They call the options different things and they all function slightly different, but ultimately you can get the look you want. I find the Nvidia drivers to be the easiest to setup and get looking good, but they all work alright. Hopefully game developers will allow these type of adjustments on PS3 games.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Thanks guys, I'm trying to swing a new gaming PC. It must be HDMI 1.4 compliant and able to do stereo 3D at high frame rates. So its a AMD/ATI vs Nvidia battle for me right now I'm looking to swing a single graphics card right now and add a second for SLI or crossfire later.

I've been reading alot of the different game 3d reviews that have been submitted. I noticed that Avatar gets a 100% platinum rating for its 3D quality. All the current PS3 games that I have do fall in this same 3D quality range. I'm not seeing any strange anomalies. Just a weak selection of games at the moment. but the holiday release schedule of games and 3D blu-rays looks very promising.

I watched the Samsung exclusive IMAX Triple Feature:
IMAX Into The Deep 3D
IMAX Galapagos 3D
IMAX Mummies 3D
I watched them on my Panasonic VT25. This 3D blu-ray gets handed my 3D crown for the best 3D blu ray. It has the best seperation and off the screen effects of all the 3D blu-rays that I've watched with my PS3 and Panasonic. The underwater scenes of the alien looking life forms is quite spectacular. There be some strange looking stuff at the bottom of oceans. And seeing it in high definition 3D is like being there.
All played with out ghosting. With the exception of a 30 second section in the Mummies 3D that did show ghosting. I believe its just a small flaw in the media. All the rest plays perfect.

I'm not regretting being an early 3DHDTV HDMI 1.4 adopter. I'm loving it.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Call of duty: black ops was released today. I'm interested in getting this for my PS3. But if it suffers from low frame rate- I'll wait to play it on my future PC gaming rig. Has anyone tried it in 3D or know of a review regarding PS3 3D performance. I may just go see if I can rent it tonight. I read one review that claimed 60 fps in 3D. I'm skeptical regarding that one.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well Im quite impatient these days. I just went out on my lunch break from work and rented Black Ops. Looks like a pizza night and some heavy gaming. I'll give an update tommorrow.

cheers :ugeek:
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well finally a real 3D game for the PS3. I was nervous about buying this one so I rented it. I'll be buying this one for sure. I stayed up way way to late last night partying and playing Call of duty: Black Ops. I spent about an hour and a half setting up my Panasonic VT25 and aftermarket splitfish mouse controller. This aftermarket controller works very well with the Call of Duty games. In some ways its better than a mouse keyboard arrangement. I like it because I can't stand playing first person shooters with the standard Sony controller. The PS3 version of this game does not allow any stereo 3D adjustments- none. No seperation or convergence and no adjustment for sensio, over/under or any other formats. So I'm guessing its using the standard HDMI 1.4 Frame packing format. I have seen minor visual anomalies here and there through out the game. There are objects that show consist double imaging/ghosting. For instance, the dot and distance marker that shows were you need to be heading is almost always shown as a double image/ ghost. There are other objects that suffer from this sin, also. All the visual anomalies and ghosting add up to be very very minor in my opinion and
did not distract or break my immersion. So my opinion is that the 3D is not perfect. The stereo seperation is good and not great. Nothing will make you duck so the convergance is very tame. Also, the crosshairs are displayed at screen depth. I think they get in the way of the action thats going on so I've simply chosen to turn them off. With all these limitations and issues this still gets my great great 3d game rating. I'm playing the campaign mode and zombie mode. I won't reveal story elements but I had 2 big OHHH SH!T moments that left me grinning from ear to ear. So today I'm feeling rough around the edges from gaming and partying, and I'm going to do it agian tonight.

Here are my Panasonic settings:
Picture (3D)
Picture Mode: Game
contrast:+100
Brightness:+100
Color: +90
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +75
Color Temp: warm1
color Mgmt: on
X.V.Color: auto
Photo enhancement: Blank
C.A.T.S.: on
Video NR: strong
Blur Reduction: on
Aspect adjustment
Pc Adjustments
HDMI/DVI RBG Range (3D)
Advanced Picture (3D)> Mosquito NR: On
Black Level: Dark

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Oh yeah I forgot to mention frame rate. I'm guesstimating its around 45 FPS and dips to around 30 FPS during heavy action. I seen it drop momentarily to 20 FPS after a heavy fire fight and about 25 bodies laying around- that drop lasted about 1 or 2 seconds. So frame rate is not a problem. I would however, like improved anti-aliasing and convergence control. I think those are the PS3 biggest 3D weakness in my opinion. Probably a PS4 is needed to improve them.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well I love Call of Dookey: black ops on the PS3 in 3D. Black ops has been a pleasant suprise. I can see the hit it takes in the visuals when switching to regular 2D mode. Its about what I expected. I was not planning on buying this game. The first person shooter market with Medal of Honor, Battle field, and ect... is saturated. They are great games. I bought black ops because of the 3D. And I love it. I prefer my FPS games to be set in sci-fi. The upcoming Duke Nukem or Crysis 2 are more towards my kinda FPS games. I like looking at and shooting alien and strange looking things.

Also, over the weekend I found a free 3D picture viewer called Photomemories for the PS3. I found it in the playstation 3 on-line store. I'm going to grab a bunch of 3D pictures and try it tonight.

Need for Speed: hot pursuit for the PS3 is available tommorow. I'm looking forward to this one. I've read several reviews that give this game a high rating. Not one of the reviews I read says anything about the 3D- thats disappointing.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I took a time out from gaming last night. I put the How To Train Your Dragon 3D Blu-ray in my PS3. WOW!!!!!!!
Yeah I know I said the last 3D blu-ray was the greatest thing since sliced bread. But this one really is (HTTYD). I love this 3D blu-ray. The Panasonic shows zero ghosting. It also, does an outstanding job with the many very dark scenes. The black levels on this TV are fantastic. It's awesome to pause the action and study the artistry thats been put into this movie. Its still in 3D when you pause it. Its another 3D masterpiece from Dreamworks. I think it looks better on my VT25 than it did in the theaters.

And I'll be working later than usual tonight-but I'm heading to the local movie/game rental store after work to see if I can grab Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit in 3D for the PS3. I'm hoping its great and it turns into a late nighter.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

There's no 3D in Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit for the PS3. No need to buy this one. It'll have to wait for the PC. Bummer.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cabot001
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cabot001 »

Dear Chiefwinston,

I live in the UK and have an LG 47LD950 passive 3D TV. It works just like a large Zalman monitor, but is far superior in terms of ghosting, brightness, etc. (not a criticism of the Zalman - I have the 22" Zalman monitor - the passive Xpol filter just works better the larger the display). So far I have watched Sky 3D channel programs on it and also some 3D Blurays via a connected PC (I don't yet have a hardware 3D Bluray player). These both look great, but I was wondering if you had found a way, either on your Panasonic player or your PS3, of displaying Letterbox 3D Blurays in full vertical screen mode (so that the full 1080 pixels are used)? Coraline plays in full screen (16:9), but A Christmas Carol plays in Letterbox. Stereoscopic Player allows me to play 3D video files full screen, but PowerDVD 3D doesn't seem to have this option. I don't mind losing the edges of a Letterbox 3D film as the 3D always looks more immersive without the two black horizontal bars top and bottom.

I have just ordered a PS3 and am looking forward to 3D gaming, having never even played a 2D game!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

David Kear
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

cabot001, I'm away from my equipment right now. I know what you mean about the letterboxing. I haven't been able to switch to a full screen mode either. I haven't found a way to switch either through the PS3 or the TV. I think I'm going to dive into this deeper and see what is preventing me from going full screen, also. 47" TV eh. Thats the sweetspot size for console gaming in my opinion. If you go to larger than 50". The upscaling used in the consoles makes for an uglier image. 47" looks great to me.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Wow GT5 is out. I never played any of the prior GT games. If this is good in 3D. I'm going for a G27 wheel and racing chair. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to play until tuesday the 30th. So I won't be able to render an opinion until then. If someone has it- please let me know. I'm interested in other peoples opinions.

cheers evereyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I only had a short impression of it, using a full seat and steering setup, you can see it here, Winston: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11837" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Long story short, was not impressed.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Thanks PalmerTech, I read that awhile back. I am going to rent it first. I'm holding out hope. I think having a room with lighting I a can controll. Plus a high end Panasonic VT25 display. And I read one mans review that the 3D has both seperation and convergence controlls- a first for PS3 gaming. Now I don't have it yet. I'm away from my equipment at the moment. So I can't confirm any of it. All this and I have the patients to tweek all settings to the best spot for me. Plus Sony exclusives have a very good track record with me. Many of them have been quite spectacular and easily worth more than the $60 they charge. I also, classify racing games differently. I find first person shooters to be the funnest and most immersive gaming. Racing games are fun and worth the money but the immersion is behind FPS gaming. I've had 3 racing wheels in the past for the PC -they rock. A logitech g27 has more and better support when used with a PC which is a big plus for me. Knowing your video equipment and knowing how to tweek it- is extremely important for high quality 3D. So I have hope for now.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Okay, well as Life has it. I was able to rent Gran Turismo 5 last night at 9:00 pm. Kind of a late start for a new game. I'm going to post several times and probably over a few days my opinion of Gran Turismo 5(GT5). GT5 is the first version that I have ever played. The 3D also has 2 built in sliders called Parrallax and convergence. This is a first for Sony's 3D games. And It is what I feel has held back some of the 3D in current titles. Well let me tell you It is a huge step forward. I'm able to tweek all setting on the Panasonic VT25 plus tweek the convergence and seperation in the game. It is SPECTACULAR. Depending on how one likes to view the action going on- I prefer a "virtual" just show me the gages point of view. Others may like the feel of being in the driver seat with your arms and the steering wheel showing. With my preferences I'm able to get the experience to come way way off the screen. Some label it the "toy-affecation-effect". I've experienced it in my older PC 3D rig. Its magnificant on a HD 50" plasma.

to be cont...................

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I won't post my settings yet. There are many many that are just stunning. So I started this game at 9:00 pm and I wasn't able to break away until 3:30 AM. Real bad considering I have to be to work by 7:00 am. And though I stopped at 3:30 AM my body and mind were way to pumped up to fall asleep quickly. Hopefully, tonight will be better. And I only scratched the surface in those 6 hours of how deep of a racing game this is. Some people like racing games and some don't. I do. I see this as the foundation for buying a logitech G27 and a nice high end racing seat. My high end gaming room now has a racing game that can justify the cost of a seat and wheel. The game supports many many other brands of wheels by the way. The stereo 3D is masterfully incorporated, the whole game is a masterpiece. I see Sony selling tons of DLC in the future. Racing on the PS3 will never be the same. Frame rate is never an issue while running this game. There are periodic visual anomiles that I'll list and review later. None of which amount to anything to be concerned about. But I'll list some later.

to be cont...............

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Wow! Sounds pretty cool.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I raced with the NASCARS last night- yyyeeaahhh baabbby. I kinda don't like NASCAR. NASCAR racing in this simulator in deep deep out of the screen 3D is quite immersive. I don't know how Sony did it but the anti-ailiasing is greatly improved. I'm glad to see high quality 3D titles like this being developed. This is good for all platforms. For the record, I spent about 3 hours zipping around Daytona International Speedway. The game feel of drafting behind cars going 150mph is superb. I'm very excited about getting my racing wheel and seat. I'll be brutaly honest with you guys. The wheel and seat are going to be bought before I build my new gaming PC. So I'll be hanging out in the lowly PS3 console section a little longer than planned. But I will except any and all PC equipment donations (um thats a joke kids- and wash your hands after you do that. And you'll go blind if you continue to do that.)

to be cont.......
cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Looks like later today I'll send in my Panasonic paperwork to recieve my bonus copy of Avatar 3D blu-ray.

Life is good.
cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

last night I checked out some of the 3D video offerings from the Sony playstation store. They are getting more content. A couple of nice movies in HD 3D are on there for rent. I also downloaded the Vudu App for the PS3. They also have 3D offerings. I tried to watch a 3D movie from the Vudu service but I recieved an error message saying I didn't have an HDMI tv hooked up. So it looks like there are a few software glitches to be worked out with the Vudu service. But I was able to stream a couple 3D trailers in 1080P from Vudu. My Panasonic vt25 did not go into 3D mode automatically. The vudu service offers the 3D movies in side by side mode. So I put the TV in side by side mode manually. The 1080p video looked real good to me. I'll be using the service in the future when they get the remaining bugs worked out. Its a nice alternative vs. paying 25-30 bucks for a 3D blu-ray.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Chiefwinston wrote:Looks like later today I'll send in my Panasonic paperwork to recieve my bonus copy of Avatar 3D blu-ray.

Life is good.
cheers everyone
Green of envy here. Enjoy the movie! :D
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Likay, I'll be brutally honest with ya. I'm going to sell it. I need alot more 3d stereo delivery devices. The amount its fetching is rediculous. but i"m going to do the capitalist thingy with it and take the mulla.

cheers :oops:
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
GoldChain
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by GoldChain »

Chiefwinston wrote:Okay, well as Life has it. I was able to rent Gran Turismo 5 last night at 9:00 pm. Kind of a late start for a new game. I'm going to post several times and probably over a few days my opinion of Gran Turismo 5(GT5). GT5 is the first version that I have ever played. The 3D also has 2 built in sliders called Parrallax and convergence. This is a first for Sony's 3D games. And It is what I feel has held back some of the 3D in current titles. Well let me tell you It is a huge step forward. I'm able to tweek all setting on the Panasonic VT25 plus tweek the convergence and seperation in the game. It is SPECTACULAR. Depending on how one likes to view the action going on- I prefer a "virtual" just show me the gages point of view. Others may like the feel of being in the driver seat with your arms and the steering wheel showing. With my preferences I'm able to get the experience to come way way off the screen. Some label it the "toy-affecation-effect". I've experienced it in my older PC 3D rig. Its magnificant on a HD 50" plasma.

to be cont...................

cheers everyone

That's smokin'. I remember back when on the PC when I had shutterglasses, I could adjust the separation while in games using hotkeys and save them on a per-game basis..... At the time I wouldn't have believed it, but quickly learned there IS a such thing as TOO much separation (I found that out when taking stereo photographs also). So hopefully this trend would continue in future games.

On a slightly separate note, thinking back to my days using the PC, those glasses enabled ANY game to be stereo, as long as it was DirectX or OpenGL. It makes sense they could do this as they simply toggle the position of the camera before rendering to make stereo. Not only did it work, but it worked well enough that even a Nintendo 64 emulator using OpenGL was able to play Mario 64 in stereo at 1024x768 (yeah, high rez in the day, eh?) So whatever they were doing with their "shim 3D driver" was working and working well.........

My quesiton is: Why isn't it that easy on the PS3? The notion that a game has to be made or altered to "support" stereo really doesn't make much sense.

GC
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

GoldChain wrote: My quesiton is: Why isn't it that easy on the PS3? The notion that a game has to be made or altered to "support" stereo really doesn't make much sense.
See this thread: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=4444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well the 3D capabilities of the PS3 are not of the quality that a PC can deliver. But the games I've played on the PS3 are good enough that I can recommend most of them. I bought a PS3 during the dark months of 3D when Nvidia seemed to have abandoned 3D (no support). It was a tough decision. Once you play PC 3D there is no going to any other method of gaming. The blu-ray capabilities are what sealed the deal for me at that time. The current set of 3D games for the PS3 are clearly pushing the console to its limits. Some of the games its apparent that corners have been cut and resolution reduced. Some games look better than others. For instance, GT5 is in my mind the best looking 3D game for the PS3. and it runs silky smooth. Heck, all the 3D games for the PS3 run smooth. But its going to probably take a PS4 to run something like God of War IV(God of War III is a 2D masterpiece). What I like most is that it could establishes 3D as a required standard for triple A gaming titles in a way that the PC market can not.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
GoldChain
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by GoldChain »

cybereality wrote:
GoldChain wrote: My quesiton is: Why isn't it that easy on the PS3? The notion that a game has to be made or altered to "support" stereo really doesn't make much sense.
See this thread: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=4444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I read the thread and it was hard to tell who was making what point in between the bickering. :o

But, I think you were making my point (?). If some 3rd party could do what you said they did on the PS2, then it surely shouldn't take a complete re-engineering of a game to support stereo.........

Personally, I still maintain that with a single software patch on the PS3 itself, they could instantly 3D-enable their entire catalog (perhaps some games would have mixed/bad results..???). Like I said, I know a PS3 isn't technically a PC, they in the end they're the same. They are CPUs running an OS with an API that lets programs access hardware functions thru API calls to the OS. If a shim 3D driver could be made for Windows that worked on almost every 3D game out there (using 2 different 3D APIs; direct3D and OpenGL), then I don't know I could be convinced it's "not possible" for that same thing to happen on the PS3 (notwithstanding any ill side-effects like overloading the 3D rendering hardware, etc........)

GC
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well I believe the PS3 uses OpenGL, maybe there is still some quad-buffer code hidden in there somewhere? I don't know. But I think the problem is that the consoles don't have separate DirectX/OpenGL versions running in their operating system. The games themselves have hard-coded versions of the API compiled into the games (at least this is what I understand from that argument I linked to). So there is nothing at the OS level to hook into. At least that is the argument. However there was that SplitFish attachment for the PS2 which appears to have done just that. And, I mean, there are some resourceful hackers out there. It would not surprise me if someone could do it. Realistically its not going to happen though, so we should just be happy with whatever Sony manages to produce in 3D.
GoldChain
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by GoldChain »

Agreed :D
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

cybereality wrote:Well I believe the PS3 uses OpenGL, maybe there is still some quad-buffer code hidden in there somewhere? I don't know.
Almost all PS3 games use libGCM which is a proprietary low-level API for the RSX GPU. I don't think a quad-buffer would be needed to produce HDMI 1.4 frame packing for stereo 3D since it should basically only be a 1280x1470 graphic mode (2x1280x720 in above-below format with 30 pixels inbetween).

Something equivalent to a quad-buffer mode could be needed to output 120Hz images if the GPU can handle that. Another possibility could be to use a virtual screen with hardware page flipping synchronized to the vertical retrace. In both cases playing with non HDMI 1.4 projectors or monitors should be possible if they accept a 120Hz input.
cybereality wrote:But I think the problem is that the consoles don't have separate DirectX/OpenGL versions running in their operating system. The games themselves have hard-coded versions of the API compiled into the games (at least this is what I understand from that argument I linked to). So there is nothing at the OS level to hook into.
I guess with the adequate documentation an interceptor could be implemented for libGCM like it is done with the OpenGL or Direct3D APIs on other systems. Apparently the SDK documentation for the PS3 has been leaked so I guess it should be possible, even if probably quite complex to implement.
cybereality wrote:At least that is the argument. However there was that SplitFish attachment for the PS2 which appears to have done just that. And, I mean, there are some resourceful hackers out there. It would not surprise me if someone could do it. Realistically its not going to happen though, so we should just be happy with whatever Sony manages to produce in 3D.
The eyeFX 3D adapter from SplitFish was only a hardware hack, it didn't intercept graphic calls. It did work by injecting alternating inputs very fast to the PS2 controller to move the viewer position or orientation to fake two cameras :
http://www.psillustrated.com/psillustra ... 0-ps2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But this trick did only work on a handful of games : http://www.berezin.com/3d/compatable_games.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well I got back to some 3D gaming last night. I rented NBA2K11 and Tron. I started with NBA2K11. There's a new update that makes it 3D compatable. The graphics and 3D are very good in this game. I'm very impressed. Basketball in not a video game genre that I've cared to play. I'll be looking to buy this one. I'm not going to pay full $60 price for it. I'll wait and pick it up at $20 in a couple of months. There are a few graphical glitches. One is cut scenes that are not in 3D but are messed up double images. disabling cut-scenes does help. Also, turning off player names is a good idea. If you like basketball I would think this is a must have. There appears to be 2 slider adjustments for the 3D. I'm going to assume there convergence and seperation. They have diff. names. but one can get the very deep 3D effect that makes everything look like miniture men running around in your TV. In conclusion, I like this one alot. Its got very good 3D. and the game play is very good. It says it has move controller support. I couldn't come even close to being able to use my move controller with this one. I gave up on trying to play this one with the move controller. I think its probably mis-leading to suggest this is a move controller title. Playing this makes me wish there was a 3D hockey game. In time I guess.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents

Return to “3D Console Gaming”