A review of my HMD collection. (Lots of pictures)

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: A review of my HMD collection. (Lots of pictures)

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

ancjob wrote:Any recommendations for a decent HMD with 3d suppport [stereoscopic/interlaced] within US $700 range with adjustable IPD/focus and 80' screen size [great sound thru earbuds removable] and great image quality without distortions anywhere...are most welcome.
:)
Really, if you want a new one - for the price lower than 2k only Vuzix VR920 is the choice (for 400$), but it doesn't have IPD/focus adjustments.
VR920 will give you support of stereo for wide variety of modern games and DX apps, it does have descent 3DOF tracker, quite good image quality.

If you want used HMD, you can buy from VRtifacts http://www.vrtifacts.com/store/ - good quality guaranteed.
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

thanks Johnny-Mnemonic for your suggestion
Vuzix has mixed reviews

Also it's PC only device - i guess better option is still headplay [with enormous input range]
any other suggestions...

expecting delivery of "80" 3D Video Glasses EVG920E for PSP Computer VGA AV" http://cgi.ebay.com/80-3D-Video-Glasses ... 3ca946987f - lemme see how it works viz-a-viz 3d as they claim it's the most advanced HMD from China/HK

will have results posted..

also
I-cine Hi-res [Monoscopic] http://www.vrealities.com/i-cinehr.html
and Virtual Visor 3D http://www.vrealities.com/virtualvisor.html

has anybody treid them to elaborate on quality at least they have 800x600 resolution to say the least ...
Last edited by ancjob on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny-Mnemonic

ancjob wrote:thanks Johnny-Mnemonic for your suggestion
i guess better option is still headplay [with enormous input range]
You are welcome, sadly headplay dropped they're support of HMD, you can read about this on they're forum. Headplay HMD doesn't work in stereo on modern PC's.
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

ancjob wrote:
expecting delivery of "80" 3D Video Glasses EVG920E for PSP Computer VGA AV" http://cgi.ebay.com/80-3D-Video-Glasses ... 3ca946987f - lemme see how it works viz-a-viz 3d as they claim it's the most advanced HMD from China/HK
Any update on this? I betting it has the same old display as teh vr920 from Kopin.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Hi
update

i 'd not get "80" 3D Video Glasses EVG920E for PSP Computer VGA AV" http://cgi.ebay.com/80-3D-Video-Glasses ... 3ca946987f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; shipped from ebay [may be seller has issue with item quality] so refunded me - too bad

in the meantime i chanced to have a look at I-cine Hi-res please read my experience here :http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1329

hope this helps
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

mickeyjaw wrote:
I would love to score a VR4 but im sure they are quite rare and expensive
They are for sale on the VRtifacts store for $450 - is that expensive?

V4 and V6 both have >= 60 FOV
V6 has good specs resolution-wise - takes only VGA input !
Now my question -
1)does not such a high fov and image being too close cause harm to eyesight on extended usage ?
2)does V6 support stereo 3D also [manuel says stereo detection but nothing about 3D]?
3)How's the image quality - is it like CRT tube [illuminated bright rich vibrant colors as in CRT display]?
4)Does this have 24-bit input color [16 million colors]?
5)can this be used as personal theater for movies [substitute for CRT (regular TV)] ?

i have so far read that only z800 with it's 800x600 OLEDS emulate experience close to CRT - not sure about this if anyone has tried V6 and provide some insights to thoughts above...
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I have a Virtual Research V8, which is a slightly higher end version of the V6.

It has a high FOV, but the images does not appear close at all. It is my favorite stereoscopic HMD I have used, very comfortable, and very easy on the eyes. The V8 has dual VGA stereo support, works great with IZ3D drivers, absolutely no problems, unlike the Z800.

It is not like a CRT, it looks like an LCD, because it is an LCD. :lol:

Color depth is good, it works with 24 bit. The 1.7" LCDs it uses are high quality, normally used for projectors back then.

And yes, it is great for movies. You need VGA output, of course.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:I have a Virtual Research V8, which is a slightly higher end version of the V6.

It has a high FOV, but the images does not appear close at all. It is my favorite stereoscopic HMD I have used, very comfortable, and very easy on the eyes. The V8 has dual VGA stereo support, works great with IZ3D drivers, absolutely no problems, unlike the Z800.

Color depth is good, it works with 24 bit. The 1.7" LCDs it uses are high quality, normally used for projectors back then.

thanks for your guidance
most HMDs based on LCD have washed out color - i do not know why ?
Even the Chinese DVD players with screen have great LCDs to look at... but when it comes to microLCD displays - the colors / sharpness / brightness / contrast levels all get lost...why?
are the kopin LCDs very substandard....

i have read [From amazon USA] that Z800 3dvisor has display closest to CRT....- as reviewed by one reviewer
ok - it's frustating that quality is not there <US $1K.............................

Also V6 is on sale but it accepts VGA input @60Hz
Is V6 3D ready also ?
For movie viewing what i have to purchase to convert the composite signal to VGA@60Hz ?

i also have Egreat R1B [http://cgi.ebay.in/EGREAT-EG-R1B-1080p- ... _Recorders] with RGB component out - i guess i need to buy Component [RGB]-to-VGA cable to feed it to V6 ...

and V4 accepts RGB input at NTSC rates .
egreat R1B [see link above] has composite out [NTSC] as well as R-G-B not too sure if V4 accepts composite input or it does thru R-G-B inputs
But will V4 work with egreat R1B ?
Is V4 3D ready also ?
please guide me
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

PalmerTech wrote:It is not like a CRT, it looks like an LCD, because it is an LCD.
It's OLED. But it's not like a CRT anyway. It's a different thing, and not very good quality compared to LCD's or CRT's standards. It's like 19" CRT regarding FOV.

ancjob, as Palmer said, optics are designed to create the illusion that the screens are away from you. It's a common error think that they are seen as if they were very close to the face because so they are physically.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

RazFairlight wrote:Thanks Johnny-Mnemonic, I'm glad you enjoyed the reviews!
Johnny-Mnemonic wrote:Hello RazFairlight!
I want to ask you some questions on VR-4:
- What did you tried to play with it?
- Did you really found resolution somehow good?
- Did the picture in VR-4 much sharper than in MRG2.2?
- Can VR-4 be used while lying (because that's when you can trick your vestibular system a lot)
- I know that diagonal FOV in MRG2.2 is about 120 degree, and VR-4 is about 60, but subjectively how it feels, does VR-4 have much smaller view-zone?
VR920 looks so tiny after MRG2.2.
- How do you like colors/brightness in VR-4?
I tried a lot of things with it, everything ranging from movies, and old games like Doom, to newer games like Bioshock, and it was great with all of them.

About the resolution and FOV: It actually feels a lot like the FOV on the MRG2.2, I know it's smaller, but it still gets into your peripheral vision which is very nice. The picture is a lot sharper than the MRG2.2, the colors and the brightness are great, and you can see quite clearly in games (if you try playing a game in 640x480 on your monitor, it looks a lot like that), but it's still a little hard to read some small text.

It's also very adjustable and comfortable, you could definitely use it while lying down.

I actually found the overall experience of the VR-4 to be more immersive than the MRG2.2, simply because the optics are so high quality (causing your eyes to focus as if you were looking way off into the distance), and the fact that it's stereoscopic helps too. I would highly recommend getting it if you can, I've used higher resolution HMDs like the z800, and I still find the VR-4 to be better.

i hate modern HMDs as LCD have washed out colors and lacking in sharpness overall and FOV is low .

Pal - what about V6 ?

I like it's FOV - adjustability etc
also i want the image to be crisp with vibrant colors and decent brightness/contrast
and sharpness is most important
have you tried V6 with movies from DVD players - how's your experience ?
i feel like shelling out US $950 for the device [V6] but want further reviews specifically

please advice regd V6
thank you
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:I have a Virtual Research V8, which is a slightly higher end version of the V6.

please elaborate on the inputs - V6 has
1)Does it have RGB component input ?
2)what frequency [50/60 Hz] the RGB input 'd be at NTSC [480P/I] rates ?

i cannot think of any other way the input has to be
since VGA , composite is RULED out - leaving me with RGB (component) input ...

I have Egreat EV-R1B [http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT]

Can i use the media player with V6 ?

Somebody please advise..

i wrote to tone asking about it but no answer as yet...
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

crim3 wrote:
PalmerTech wrote:It is not like a CRT, it looks like an LCD, because it is an LCD.
It's OLED. But it's not like a CRT anyway. It's a different thing, and not very good quality compared to LCD's or CRT's standards. It's like 19" CRT regarding FOV.
Are you saying the V8 is OLED? It is definitely LCD. :P The Z800 is nice, but not really comparable to a CRT. The OLED panels used in it are an older kind, and after a few years of use, the blue light elements will start to burn out.

The V6 and V8 apparently both have control boxes available that support component RGB, but I have not seen them. The V8 takes 640x480 at 60hz.

Why not plug it into a computer? Then you can play back 3D movies, too.

I do not have personal experience with the V6, only the V8, but they are very similar, and is really, really nice. Let me know if you decide you want to buy one.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

PalmerTech wrote:Are you saying the V8 is OLED? It is definitely LCD. :P
No, the z800. I thought that the 'is like a CRT' discussion was referred to the z800. Sorry for the confussion.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:
crim3 wrote:
Are you saying the V8 is OLED? It is definitely LCD. :P The Z800 is nice, but not really comparable to a CRT. The OLED panels used in it are an older kind, and after a few years of use, the blue light elements will start to burn out.

The V6 and V8 apparently both have control boxes available that support component RGB, but I have not seen them. The V8 takes 640x480 at 60hz.

Why not plug it into a computer? Then you can play back 3D movies, too.

I do not have personal experience with the V6, only the V8, but they are very similar, and is really, really nice. Let me know if you decide you want to buy one.

where can i get a like-new VR-8 [V8] ?
V6 gets powered by 30W supply - is it the same for V8 also ?
can you please upload a few pictures of V8 and the control box[front and rear] ?
also please post detailed specs of V8 for all of us

i will wait for your reply
thank you
Johnny-Mnemonic

ancjob wrote:where can i get a like-new VR-8 [V8] ?
New unit still can be found on sales here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Virtual-Research-Sy ... 33502f8593
And they want 10,000 USD for it.

I'm pretty sure you can get V6 in like-new condition from Tony.
ancjob wrote:V6 gets powered by 30W supply - is it the same for V8 also ?
can you please upload a few pictures of V8 and the control box[front and rear] ?
Here's a detailed specs of V6:
http://www.virtualresearch.com/products/v6.htm

And V8:
http://www.virtualresearch.com/products/v8.htm

And here is V8 manual:
http://www.virtualresearch.com/Acrobat_ ... MANUAL.PDF

V6 manual you can download from VRtifacts.

Them both get VGA or SVideo for input, them both work with 640 x 480 input resolutions, however V8 have bigger screen resolution.
V6 have 640x480 subpixels, it's 307,200 subpixels,
while V8 have 3 times higher screens resolution, it's 921,600 (640x3x480 like on modern Vuzix VR920)

In other aspects those HMD's (V6 and V8) are pretty identical.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Johnny-Mnemonic wrote:

And V8:

And here is V8 manual:

Them both get VGA or SVideo for input, them both work with 640 x 480 input resolutions, however V8 have bigger screen resolution.
while V8 have 3 times higher screens resolution, it's 921,600 (640x3x480 like on modern Vuzix VR920)

===============================================================
New one is real pricey beast with obnoxious looks !
so much so but no composite AV input [max input 640x480 @ 60Hz VGA only ] - so much of additional hardware to deploy to get my dvd player to work !- shame on these guys who invented this beast..

Are the guys at Virtual research out of their minds [probably drunk] to make it so pricey - calling it 'industrial HMD' - i think the only industry it's suited for is 'adult fun' industry..Sorry for my rants but this is the reality...

who 'd go for V8 with a price tag like that unless one's some brain tumor something.....or serious psycho problems

for me the entire HMD concept is nothing but watching movies/stuff that you cannot share with your family and kids...and US 10,000 is insane....

Also games 3d/2d - who 'd really enjoy playing on these HMDs -as natural vision has the FOV which none of these can ever match !
When one limits that with HMDs above the experience is unpleasant - causing headache /nosea...in no time

Also these high/low end HMDs destroy the vision in the longer span of time with prolonged use...
-reddening of eyes with itching , nearsightedness etc

for me these are expensive toys - just good for nothing but watching the 'unwatchable' in total privacy...
and for that any HMD will do....

these High/low end HMDs can never be a substitute for primary LCD/CRT monitor irrespective of price/industry categorization ever...

may be if someone from Virtual Research is reading this - he/she 'd think again...save those millions of dollars going into HMD concept - this HMD concept is really worth nothing but the pastime for perverts with deep pockets...mostly
Johnny-Mnemonic

ancjob wrote:calling it 'industrial HMD' - i think the only industry it's suited for is 'adult fun' industry..Sorry for my rants but this is the reality...
It never was a consumer HMD, here you can get familiar with the industry:
http://cb.nowan.net/blog/state-of-vr/

James Cameron's video-cam with which Avatar was filmed costs like 3 Ferrari, this is reality too.
However I agree 10k for 640x480 it's too much.
Okta

Post by Okta »

ancjob wrote:
Johnny-Mnemonic wrote:

And V8:

And here is V8 manual:

===============================================================
New one is real pricey beast with obnoxious looks !
so much so but no composite AV input [max input 640x480 @ 60Hz VGA only ] - so much of additional hardware to deploy to get my dvd player to work !- shame on these guys who invented this beast..

Are the guys at Virtual research out of their minds [probably drunk] to make it so pricey - calling it 'industrial HMD' - i think the only industry it's suited for is 'adult fun' industry..Sorry for my rants but this is the reality...

who 'd go for V8 with a price tag like that unless one's some brain tumor something.....or serious psycho problems

for me the entire HMD concept is nothing but watching movies/stuff that you cannot share with your family and kids...and US 10,000 is insane....

Also games 3d/2d - who 'd really enjoy playing on these HMDs -as natural vision has the FOV which none of these can ever match !
When one limits that with HMDs above the experience is unpleasant - causing headache /nosea...in no time

Also these high/low end HMDs destroy the vision in the longer span of time with prolonged use...
-reddening of eyes with itching , nearsightedness etc

for me these are expensive toys - just good for nothing but watching the 'unwatchable' in total privacy...
and for that any HMD will do....

these High/low end HMDs can never be a substitute for primary LCD/CRT monitor irrespective of price/industry categorization ever...

may be if someone from Virtual Research is reading this - he/she 'd think again...save those millions of dollars going into HMD concept - this HMD concept is really worth nothing but the pastime for perverts with deep pockets...mostly
Calm down there fella. We know the HMD market is a pile of poop and there are hundreds of posts on these boards regarding that. You will not find any reasonable priced high fov quality screen HMD's.

So i gather you want a high quality HMD for "private viewing" with AV inputs and not worried about being stereoscopic? I would suggest build your own as some here are doing for a few hundred bucks. There is also the Fatshark designed for RC plane flying that has a larger fov than the VR920 i believe and is wireless.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Johnny-Mnemonic

Okta wrote:There is also the Fatshark designed for RC plane flying that has a larger fov than the VR920 i believe and is wireless.
Yep, its 45 degree diagonal FOV, like VFX-1.
Fatshark also have IPD adjustments, and it's pretty much affordable, but monoscopic.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Johnny-Mnemonic wrote:
Okta wrote:There is also the Fatshark designed for RC plane flying that has a larger fov than the VR920 i believe and is wireless.
Fatshark also have IPD adjustments, and it's pretty much affordable, but monoscopic.
Yeah i just double checked http://www.mongrelgear.com.au/index.php ... &Itemid=47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its a great buy. There is/was another version that came with a fully tracked camera for RC for only a few hundred more. Palmer had limited success mounting the fatshark lenses on his VR920. Being the same displays perhaps it would be better to change out the driver boards and leave the screens in place.. I would love a vr920 with 46 degree fov...
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Okta wrote:
Johnny-Mnemonic wrote:
Yeah i just double checked http://www.mongrelgear.com.au/index.php ... &Itemid=47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its a great buy. There is/was another version that came with a fully tracked camera for RC for only a few hundred more. Palmer had limited success mounting the fatshark lenses on his VR920. Being the same displays perhaps it would be better to change out the driver boards and leave the screens in place.. I would love a vr920 with 46 degree fov...

Well i have been to RC forums as well
they tell me to go for headplay as it's better than fatshark which is proven for fov only!
i come here only to be made to understand that headplay is no better either
a)support has been dropped already by headplay
b)colors are washed out [18 bit only] and liberator [it's controller] is bulky crap!
So i got a budget for US $1k - and want a very good HMD emulating the actual LCD with vibrant colors and lifelike images - do not know what emagin,kopin etc are doing when their LCDs are crap...
I like Gore(guinea pig series)/torture(SAW movies)/horror (mostly slashers)/supernatural stuff which cannot be shared with rest of the family hence the need

if i like 3D games - i'd put in my money in acer/asus 3D laptops [already with 15' screen are available - waiting for those with 17'' screen ]with ATI/nividia cards and NOT on these crappy gadgets like z800 and the likes of them

please guys understand one thing - natural vision is so beautifully endowed that we by nature do not comprehend anything less than our natural gifted FOV which makes these HMDs TOTAL crap unless one has a lot of spare cash to dump investing in these over hyped HMDs

it's the media they use to generate interest in these so that we buy and reduce their inventory burden and sometimes we go overboard and make them reap profits all the way !

i prefer HMDs for watching the 'unwatchable' ONLY and story ends there!

so in a nutshell
for movies [read unwatchable ones] - any HMDs - lucky if one gets an awesome one [let me know that brand please!]
for 3d games - go for the new generation of 3d laptops or customized desktops -value for money..

from what i gather this HMD concept has not yet matured to become LCD substitutes and they never will - trust me on that
may be another 50-80 years it will take but till then i sleep easy...

Somebody do me a favor let me know when TDvisor XGA will be out for sale - i sure have a grand[1k] to dump on them...
It's only after throwing that in the dump that i will sleep easy..

TDvisor XGA has been making waves since 2007 - i have not seen them release it as yet
any news......
Johnny-Mnemonic

ancjob wrote:if i like 3D games - i'd put in my money in acer/asus 3D laptops [already with 15' screen are available - waiting for those with 17'' screen ]with ATI/nividia cards and NOT on these crappy gadgets like z800 and the likes of them
Crappy shutter glasses again? with all it's ghosting and flickering issues?
And by the way, where it goes to Virtual Reality, stereoscopy is just one of attributes. Many people enjoy to play in tracked HMD even with monoscopic imagery.

There are plenty of stuff you could do with HMD that you can't do other way, I'm talking about immersion with head/body tracking. Even just playing regular games while standing (not sitting) with ability to freely look around you - pretty worth at least to try.
ancjob wrote:from what i gather this HMD concept has not yet matured to become LCD substitutes and they never will - trust me on that
Sounds ridiculous, HMD's and regular monitors are actually different stuff.
ancjob wrote:TDvisor XGA has been making waves since 2007 - i have not seen them release it as yet
any news......
Yes, sadly they dropped production of pre-payed units, and I barely think they will be able to make mass-market unit.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Johnny-Mnemonic wrote:
ancjob wrote:if i like 3D games - i'd put in my money in acer/asus 3D laptops [already with 15' screen are available - waiting for those with 17'' screen ]with ATI/nividia cards and NOT on these crappy gadgets like z800 and the likes of them
Crappy shutter glasses again? with all it's ghosting and flickering issues?
ancjob wrote:TDvisor XGA has been making waves since 2007 - i have not seen them release it as yet
any news......
Yes, they are dropped production of pre-payed units, and I barely think they will be able to make mass-market unit.
================================================================
HMDs is frustating and expensive gameplay
keep trying different brands and keep emptying your pockets !
i have egreat EV-R1B and EV-R2A and i-cine HMD from vrealities [got it finally from my friend who needed some cash..it's old he'd gotten it from amazon usa]

i-cine is USB powered so Egreat's USB port powers it non-stop so it never goes dry on power and so does my DVD player
Image is ok but needs crisp life like one with vibrant colors which it misses by a great margin
hence the exploration into the world of HMDs and i will be completing my thesis soon

pal- please let me know one tried and tested 'REAL' true color HMD with life-like images and superb 3d under $1.5k (let large FOV go to hell) and i will be forever indebted to you.....
Johnny-Mnemonic

ancjob wrote:pal- please let me know one tried and tested 'REAL' true color HMD with life-like images and superb 3d under $1.5k and i will be forever indebted to you.....
I suppose that V4 / V6 have great color reproduction, however I didn't tried them, let they're owners tell.
I understand what you've talking about color reproduction but me personally not so fastidious about HMD's colors, I have good monitor to watch at precise colors.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Johnny-Mnemonic wrote:
ancjob wrote:pal- please let me know one tried and tested 'REAL' true color HMD with life-like images and superb 3d under $1.5k and i will be forever indebted to you.....
I suppose that V4 / V6 have great color reproduction, however I didn't tried them, let they're owners tell.
I understand what you've talking about color reproduction but me personally not so fastidious about HMD's colors, I have good monitor to watch at precise colors.

so we agree all on one thing that emagin / kopin etc they make trash (OLEDs)LCDs so that makes the consumer HMD complete waste of money as no quality is there at all....any exceptions ?

what about this : http://www.vrealities.com/vrpro3ddual.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
or
http://www.vrealities.com/vrhmdpro3dvideo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?

specs look cool if anybody tried that...kinda bulky but look promising ..large FOV not really my priority..just want life-like image with vibrant colors - 35 degrees FOV is ok for me
any luck with above - guys?
Johnny-Mnemonic

ancjob wrote:so we agree all on one thing that emagin / kopin etc they make trash (OLEDs)LCDs
Nope, take a deep breath and think a little :)
Making micro-screens is totally different stuff than making regular screens, you can't compare this.
That's why screens that looks through magnifying lens and a bit worse in quality than regular screen are much more pricey.
ancjob wrote: so that makes the consumer HMD complete waste of money
Nope, I like my VR920 and think it's pretty the best designed HMD in consumer level, these goggles have they're issues, but I like them and I use them. And I think they worth every cent.

However it can be waste of money for you.
ancjob wrote:as no quality is there at all....any exceptions ?
Are you living in black and white world?
Where only two category "Holy amazing stuff" and "No quality sh!t"?

Anyway, it's better to move this discussion to another thread, RazFairlight showed his great collection of old-school HMD's and we flooded this thread with offtopic.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Johnny-Mnemonic wrote:
ancjob wrote:so we agree all on one thing that emagin / kopin etc they make trash (OLEDs)LCDs
Nope, take a deep breath and think a little :)
Making micro-screens is totally different stuff than making regular screens, you can't compare this.
That's why screens that looks through magnifying lens and a bit worse in quality than regular screen are much more pricey.
ancjob wrote: so that makes the consumer HMD complete waste of money
Nope, I like my VR920 and think it's pretty the best designed HMD in consumer level, these goggles have they're issues, but I like them and I use them. And I think they worth every cent.

However it can be waste of money for you.
ancjob wrote:as no quality is there at all....any exceptions ?
Are you living in black and white world?
Where only two category "Holy amazing stuff" and "No quality sh!t"?

Anyway, it's better to move this discussion to another thread, RazFairlight showed his great collection of old-school HMD's and we flooded this thread with offtopic.

great that you have good vr920 but i'd stay away from vuzix [ 50/50 chance] so you were in the good 50 probability and got a decent vr920

we are not offtopic as this is the place for flaunting the HMDs only difference i do not flaunt my i-cine hi-res cause it's NOT there yet...in the hall of fame - may be not one single - v4/v6/v8 are vintage stuff resolution and input wise...

pal-just look at the VGA input the v6/v8 accepts - even my laptop and VGA convertors minimum 800x600 SVGA that's what they output ...the freak is selling them for US10k

but there are fools[oops collectors] in this world - he'd eventually find one...

they are well suited for ending up in some VR museum ... our friend RazFairlight considered it wise to put a show here than in a museum on pay-per-minute basis ![hehehe-lol]

HMDs like xsight etc originate and die in labs ....so who cares for them

Vuzix , china / Hk makes - just so so

just putting in a 2 LCDs with bit of optics does not make a good hmd !

there are factors to consider
1)ergonomics
2))3D flicker free emulation
3)range of input in line with today's technologies
4)durability & adjust-ability
5)weight balancing
6)USB powered or NOT
7)display color depth / vibrancy of colors
8)FOV [wide FOV only with decent colors else waste]
9)support VGA / AV input only/ augmented reality

i do not think of one single HMD that's truly awesome on factors cited above and i am not talikg about the US 10-50k ones[labs stuff - proto-types]
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Ancjob, I will have some info for you shortly.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I hate to spam/advertise, but hopefully, me getting Ancjob out of this thread makes up for it? ;)

http://altvr.modretro.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go there and make a thread with everything you want in an HMD, Ancjob, and I have some new solutions for you that I am gathering info on right now.

To be sorta back on topic... I got a Scuba, and you are right, it really is terrible. :lol:
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Personally I think most HMDs are a scam, but I happen to like my Vuzix Wrap 310 very much. Sure the resolution is low as hell and the FOV skimpy, but its great for watching stuff on the iPod. I use it to watch anime while I ride my exercise bike. If I didn't have it riding would be boring as hell. I also use it in bed sometimes. But if I don't need the portability then I would much rather just watch something on the TV. However, if all you want is something to watch movies in privacy then just spend $200 and get the Wrap 310. LCD quality is poor, I admit, but for the price its not a bad deal. I guarantee if you spend $1000+ on something from VRealities you will just be disappointed. Most of those HMDs are still in the 35 degree FOV range, not much better than the VR920 or the chinese clones.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Personally I think most HMDs are a scam, but I happen to like my Vuzix Wrap 310 very much. Sure the resolution is low as hell and the FOV skimpy, but its great for watching stuff on the iPod. I use it to watch anime while I ride my exercise bike. If I didn't have it riding would be boring as hell. I also use it in bed sometimes. But if I don't need the portability then I would much rather just watch something on the TV. However, if all you want is something to watch movies in privacy then just spend $200 and get the Wrap 310. LCD quality is poor, I admit, but for the price its not a bad deal. I guarantee if you spend $1000+ on something from VRealities you will just be disappointed. Most of those HMDs are still in the 35 degree FOV range, not much better than the VR920 or the chinese clones.

===========================================================
Pal - if you are talking about "made-for-ipod" HMDs then i must tell you I-cine Hi-res is the best !
1)Huge screen i think it's 32 degrees NOT 35 degree as claimed by vrealities
2)colors just ok [ read NOT vibrant ]
3)subtitles look extremely crisp
4)usb powered
5)VGA resolution [NOT 800x600 as claimed by vrealities]
6)2D monoscopic and very light weight and durable too

now i try to compare every other vrealities product to this viz-a-viz image size...[Huge screen]
even i have to 'zoom out' to make the image small as it occupies complete sight of view within the HMD and strains the eyes.(You guys talk about fov >60 i guess the image will go out-of-view from all four sides and if real close - you may have to get eyes examined for any defects arising...seriously so there goes my craze for fov>32)

a little more sharpness with vibrant colors if added to above and it becomes my dream HMD................seriously - minus 3D and computer connectivity (which i do not care much about for now)

it's best for ipod and vrealities although overstate it's specs [it's real specs are here : [http://www.oriscape.com.cn/en/products. ... 262&id=150] but they are definitely right that it's the best for movies from ipod and portables at least they are not asking US10k or some crap like that..

As you can see the specs by Vrealities is a bit exaggerated so i doubt their rest of their product's specs...
hence i keep coming back here to check if anybody tried their aforementioned products..

theie is another product "I-trek 3D PC review" here : http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but the author cut the story short without completing it ...

i think we'd have a thread for all tested vrealities products for everybody's understanding...if admins allow

currently in two minds regd Virtual visor(http://www.oriscape.com.cn/en/products. ... 251&id=117" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) / virtual viewer 3d (http://www.oriscape.com.cn/en/products. ... 251&id=118" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) , http://www.vrealities.com/vrpro3ddual.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; AND http://www.vrealities.com/vrhmdpro3dvideo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but the screen size/specs is suspect.........compare it yourself and you will see the point - i am trying to make!

And a dream HMD here at US$10k : http://www.vrealities.com/vrprosxga.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i hope this helps
Okta

Post by Okta »

ancjob wrote:
And a dream HMD here at US$10k : http://www.vrealities.com/vrprosxga.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i hope this helps
Now that is more like it. Certainly a new spec/price break through if those specs are genuine. But still a lot out of reach for most enthusiasts.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Johnny-Mnemonic wrote:

=====================================
good point
but the question is limited availability their 5.8GHz model is nowhere in stock ....
till then headplay will do as it's better than other HMDs viz-a-viz the following
1)800x600
2)takes all inputs incl. VGA
3)media player built-in
4)3D built in
5)IPD & focus adjustments
6)FOV 34 degrees

i ordered headplay from hobbywireless - hope to add fatshark also in the future after a thorough review from someone

here's what i plan to do with headplay
a)Experiment with VGA using the "RGB-to-VGA" cable connecting to egreat R2A instead of composite video inputs to check the quality
if the experiments works and i get the video without issues then the ultimate consumer HMD - z800 3dvisor i will get ...as it's got 800x600 OLEDs which are the best for displaying true 24 bit color with illumination , also contrast and brightness seem great !

Z800 is like 'love-hate' device for me - the more i hate it - the more i yearn for it [probably got one if it accepted s-video / composite also] ...

keep you guys posted regd above ...
Last edited by ancjob on Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

[quote="RazFairlight"]Hi everyone!

The Virtual Research VR-4

Here is yet another amazing HMD from Virtual Research, it is often compared to the Visette 2 by Virtuality, but higher quality (although a bit less durable). I would say that this is probably the most well designed HMD that I've ever used; virtually every part of it is adjustable, and it's about as comfortable as they come without sacrificing the visual quality. The optics in the VR-4 are very high quality glass lenses that provide a solid 60° field of view. The display resolution is about the equivalent of 640x480, which may not sound like a lot, but this combined with the great optical quality gives you a very crisp stereo image.

The conclusion: I can't really think of much else to say about the VR-4, this HMD is pretty much flawless; it offers a great balance between resolution and field of view.

I give the VR-4 a 10 out of 10.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am interested in VR-4 for movies only - [games i will add later -when i upgrade my laptop]
you really have cool HMD collection
i tried for VR-8 but it's rare - accepts only VGA @60Hz and the new one is real pricey

So i ask you about the VR-4
i have mostly NTSC/PAL dvds and Dix/Xvid AVIs in [720x480(576)] resolution
have you tried playing the Dix/Xvid AVIs in [720x480(576)] files on VR-4
1)is there pixel-lation if any
2)how is the S-video input on this - does it look crisp without pixel-lation from above mentioned formats ?
3)Are the colors / brightness/sharpness extremely good just like a regular 50'' LCD ?
4)with 60 degrees FOV - does the image remain within peripheral view [i doubt..really]?
5) the pig-tail projection which carries the input to glasses - can it be removed to have the input coming from the sides [looks kinda awkward - when you put it on - that looks like pigtail...hehehe]
6) is this also stereo 3D compatible ?
since fov > 60 and resolution of image is (Resolution per eye: 170,660 color elements (742 x 230)) so i guess the video 'd look pixel-lated - if i am not mistaken....you are the tech... still fov 60 degrees is exciting ...

can you recommend this for watching DVDs and 720x480(576) AVIs ?

Since you have a lot of experience in this area - your opinion regd above will be most appreciated..

awaiting reply
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

Ancjob, why do you want a HMD for movies to begin with? An HMD is for giving a person the FOV, which most consumer HMD lack of but the act of feeling like your there PLAYING the game, not WATCHING the movie!! What is a 60 deg FOV gonna do for you watching something? You wont have enough pixels for movies, it would be a waste in my opinion. Get yourself an LCD screen, maybe a 8.9inch, does 1280x768 and make something cheap, with what you have to spend and what your looking for, thats what I would do, you dont need to seperate screens for movies do you?

I just think your driving us crazy and urself crazy over your dilema..... :twisted:

But good luck and do something quick :lol:

Ku
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

He probably wants to watch porno movies without the wife seeing. LOL!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:He probably wants to watch porno movies without the wife seeing. LOL!
=========
don't you [cybereality] wanna if you are also married else your libido will be suspect...lol!
porn is a subset of unwatchable stuff only a triviality....

i consider HMD as novelty / technology at it's miniature best and it draws attention...something to flaunt..but i do have my budget.

i have been saying this again and again that HMD is just for watching the 'unwatchable' something that no one wants to share with family and kids......that's it !

i want an HMD which is perfect [just like regular LCD] and affordable...vr-8 does offer some hope if someone's ready to part with...rest all HMDs are poop...or just so-so

had these been so popular - than just about any big names 'd have been offering the best at affordable rates...

it's a small market consisting avid gamers[read freaks] / perverts hence the no big names like Sony,Samsung,LG etc..

if these big names step into then they can make such a quality stuff that emagin 'd be shitting in their pants...but this is a very small market of freaks/preverts and for that huge investment is not warranted at all.....

Small ones [read emagin] do not offer quality just wanna make a quick cut..and freaks / perverts have them do that exactly...[emagin perked up the price from US 500 to US 1.7k and still doing great...]

And believe me watch-ables look great on regular LCD/CRT/plasma than on poop stuff like z800 unless one has a lot of money to squander in the name of technology....and for 'unwatch-ables' any poop HMD will do with VGA resolution...[may not be perfect but does it's job] .so US 10k is a asking for a lot...
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

You have a lot of nerve to come on a 3D gaming forum and call us freaks. :P

Like I keep telling you, that is NOT the market. These 10k HMDs are made for military and police training purposes that use head tracking, and for universities that research VR. Many oil companies also use expensive HMDs to operate robots remotely, and hospitals use them for non-invasive microsurgery. In those cases, the 10k is not even a big deal to them.

It sucks, but that is the way it goes.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Have you seen this headset:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/06/carl ... -still-no/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still VGA res but OLED.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Have you seen this headset:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/06/carl ... -still-no/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still VGA res but OLED.
=========================
pal - thank you for the info
i like this technology - small TV with optics to make it look like big virtual screen that supporting 3d too..

earlier versions of the cinemizer were costly and unimpressive..not good fov but this may be different!
earlier versiions of cinemizer had bad reviews on amazon germany...let's hope so that this breaks some ground..

let me wait for a few reviews on amazon USA/Germany ...
but this looks good only with 32 degrees of FOV and vibrant colors - at least OLEDs that's a welcome addition .....
so z800 will have some heat to face with this coming in..

i know of another HMD with OLEDs - but ti's 2D with VGA input...oculon eyeshot VR F1440B [http://www.vrealities.com/f1440b.html] but fov is crap no composite input..sucks..

thank you pal
Last edited by ancjob on Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”