The Gallery: Oculus Rift Adventure Game KICKSTARTER LIVE!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Re: The Gallery: Oculus Rift Adventure Game KICKSTARTER LIVE

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Yes, I'm starting to see the merits of Cybereality's policy of keeping everything together in the same forum as much as possible. This feels like it's been hidden away in a corner.
Bishop51
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Bishop51 »

Its certainly not the best timing in our campaign to be shuffled back here but I do understand and respect MTBS's policy.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I will be backing your kickstarter as soon as I have some funds back to pledge my desired amount.
However, is there anything else I could do to try to help push this past the 65k goal?

Its not looking good at the moment, but I want to see this succeed.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

Namielus wrote:I will be backing your kickstarter as soon as I have some funds back to pledge my desired amount.
However, is there anything else I could do to try to help push this past the 65k goal?

Its not looking good at the moment, but I want to see this succeed.
Hey Namielus :) Currently we're at 33% with 501 backers and 20 days to go. I think there's a false impression about Kickstarter's purpose/measurements on success and major publishers using the platform (fueled by nostalgia and prior releases) are to blame. They get funded in the first week with millions and there's an assumption that indies need to show the same sort of early drastic peak or they are doomed to failure.

A lot of the indies that succeed on Kickstarter do it the old fashioned way. Blood, sweat, tears and banging their pot as loudly as they can right until the bitter end :) We've got A LOT of hooks in the water right now, we're just waiting for all those fish to start biting. We've been promised by a number of sources for coverage and we're hoping those connections will pan out. And that is really the most difficult, crucial aspect of Kickstarter. You can only scream about how great your idea is up to a certain point, after that you have to have faith that your project will be spread by those who are better connected.

The single best thing anyone out there can do to help us out (aside from contributing directly) is to talk about The Gallery on every news site, blog and social media platform they can, so long as its relevant to whats being discussed. There's a lot of Oculus press out there, talking about the project and the Kickstarter in those comment sections is a great way to help out.

And our sincere thanks again to all of you who have contributed so far. We really are humbled by that and we hope to have the opportunity to make you all proud!

~ Denny
Last edited by Bishop51 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Many people will cash in on the 1st. of the month, including myself 8-)

What could really boost it and would be nice, is Linux support. A thread on the Linux gaming reddit and from there it spreads over all the other Linux sites, don't underestimate the Linux crowd when it comes to indie gaming 8-)
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

I submitted the gallery to be considered for JayIsGames link dump friday. We'll see if they decide to feature it; this seems like the type of thing they like to show.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

STRZ wrote:Many people will cash in on the 1st. of the month, including myself 8-)

What could really boost it and would be nice, is Linux support. A thread on the Linux gaming reddit and from there it spreads over all the other Linux sites, don't underestimate the Linux crowd when it comes to indie gaming 8-)
They can't support Linux until the Rift (and Unity) does.

Someone should post on the Sixense forums. I tried, but I couldn't log in.
Aabel
Cross Eyed!

Post by Aabel »

2EyeGuy wrote: Someone should post on the Sixense forums. I tried, but I couldn't log in.

Yeah their verification is annoying, I went ahead and posted a thread in general.

Nice work on the hydra implementation, looks like a ton of fun! I love the touch of turning your head light on with an actual gesture+button press. Keep up the awesome work guys!
Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

We were lucky enough to be introduced to the guys at Sixense. Hopefully something will pan out there :)

Oh, new sig graphic below if you want to help spread the word by using it. Thanks again guys!

~ Denny
cmfockler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cmfockler »

Nice idea! This signature might alleviate some of the concern with being moved into this sub forum. Everyone here should paste this text into their profile signature:

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.thegallerygame.com/images/gallksbanner.jpg[/img]
I will bump up my pledge a level or two in couple weeks if it is still needed.
Last edited by cmfockler on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

Snazzy
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

It wouldn't be unheard of for Oculus to give a shout-out in one of their Kickstarter- and pre-order updates. All potential buyers would be reached in one e-mail.
You provide content they really need for their device to become succesfull. You both benefit. However, you probably already have that covered.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

2EyeGuy wrote: They can't support Linux until the Rift (and Unity) does.
Unity has a Linux export option already, and also is preparing a native Linux client for the engine. Oculus is working on Linux support too afaik.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Bishop51 wrote:Its certainly not the best timing in our campaign to be shuffled back here but I do understand and respect MTBS's policy.
Moving the thread here isn't a "policy". We got feedback from members they wanted the Oculus forum divided up because it was too difficult to trace what was what, etc. There was also a link-back from the original location, so it didn't exactly vanish.

However, we'll come up with something creative to drive more attention to this promising work on MTBS.

Regards,
Neil
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

mahler wrote:All potential buyers would be reached in one e-mail.
You provide content they really need for their device to become succesfull. You both benefit.
Not all potential buyers. Razer Hydra owners are also potential buyers for the same reason.
And there are people who haven't ordered a Rift or a Hydra who would still back the game.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

cmfockler wrote:Nice idea! This signature might alleviate some of the concern with being moved into this sub forum. Everyone here should paste this text into their profile signature:

No, they should add this code (it's supposed to be clickable):

[url=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/494598080/the-gallery-six-elements][img]http://www.thegallerygame.com/images/gallksbanner.jpg[/img][/url]
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I replaced the reference to my own project with yours until the kickstarter is done.
I wont have anything big to announce about my project until then anyway.

Hope I can generate a few clicks that way, and I will make sure to back with cash too when I can.
Riftoholic

Frito
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Frito »

Just saw the update....

:woot

great idea and great implementation, you have my sword
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

2EyeGuy wrote:
cmfockler wrote:Nice idea! This signature might alleviate some of the concern with being moved into this sub forum. Everyone here should paste this text into their profile signature:

No, they should add this code (it's supposed to be clickable):

[url=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/494598080/the-gallery-six-elements][img]http://www.thegallerygame.com/images/gallksbanner.jpg[/img][/url]
Good idea!
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

I did not see this posted on the Unity forums, so i made a post about it there in the gossip section : )
Naru
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Naru »

Just pledged. There really aren't enough adventure games out there. I'm looking forward to getting back into gaming.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

Naru wrote:There really aren't enough adventure games out there
hear hear!
Though they do seem to be having a resurgence, which makes me happy.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

There are probably many other factors to this, but I think our help is helping.
I bet there will be a spike when the most common paydays of April arrive.
Riftoholic

brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

If they are close at the end, I imagine that a lot of MTBS people might be willing to double-down to get them over the hump.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

I think this Kickstarter is likely to fail, but come close. Do you have some sort of backup plan if that happens?
Apotheosis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Apotheosis »

To succeed they need another six hundred or so backers, not many compared to some kickstarters.
The bulk of the pledges are in the $30 tier an already captivated audience to market to. Limited number (100/100) rewards tend to work well especially to kick start pledges. How about a $40 pledge and a $65 pledge thats signed by the devs? Or a hydra bundled pledge at $185?

Something I saw in a kickstarter recently was a pledge level for an in game easter egg, it revealed your avatar name when you shot it. Something that's creative and not too difficult to code. $79??

I just feel you need many more levels to suit all budgets and tastes.
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

The razer hydra update totally got me, I pledged this wonderful project, now I'm gonna add the support signature to help you a bit in succeeding the goal!
Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

Thanks everyone! We really appreciate your support and we are looking into additional pledge tiers.

We have a mini-update coming today and a much more substantial update coming this week. There's good news around the corner!

The Gallery: Six Elements always depended upon access to the dev-kit backer community to really get some good footing. That being said, we've formed some great relationships in the process with both Oculus and the people at Sixense/Razer, so the campaign could take a dramatic turn in the upward direction :)

We remain committed to creating a premium virtual reality experience which will be available in Alpha form to backers by this August (and likely little bits of random testing before that).

We are nearing the half way mark on our campaign and I have a feeling, we're just getting started ;)
ften
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ften »

I would think now that there are Rifts in the wild and people are showing them off to their friends, family, coworkers, etc there will be an uptick in pledges from people searching out more info and games to play.

Edit: Just read the Update, the way Christopher talks about using Hydra integration in the game makes me want this game even more.
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

Looks like the Easter update is out -
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/494 ... sts/441905

Good info about all the diffferent display / controller combos you're using during development. Looking forward to the gameplay update later in the week. (I assume the screenshot from this update is a teaser of the next one - it shows off a new outdoor environment we haven't seen before).
cmfockler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cmfockler »

Bishop51 wrote:...we've formed some great relationships in the process with both Oculus and the people at Sixense/Razer, so the campaign could take a dramatic turn in the upward direction...
Sixense should be a major backer of your project. It was your video and the Tuscany Rift video that convinced me that the Hydra was a must buy. Not the other way around.

I bumped my pledge to $50 and that's probably as high as I can go for this project.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

Yay Oculus! That's great news. We're so happy they found some time for that post-GDC :)
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

This should be a great boon
Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

Its great news and we're really happy to have their support especially considering just how tired they must be post-GDC. We've got another update coming as well which should dovetail really nicely into that :)
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Really hope you guys make it, but if not have you considered trying again using an episodic model? Obviously a lot of the development is front-loaded with just pure experimentation and gameplay mechanics but surely there is a tremendous amount of modeling and artwork that could be postponed and funded incrementally.
Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

Not until the fat lady sings Brantlew ;) We're half way through our campaign and the missing pieces of the puzzle box are being inserted as we speak :)
ften
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ften »

With 737 people already backing the project, and 39 of those people already over 100 dollar donations, only about 566 donors would need to be convince to bump up to 100 dollar mark if there was no movement at all ;) , but if you look at the project's stats for yesterday it was the best day for donations since day 2 so it's looking up.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

That's great news. :D

Now you just need to add some killer-bees to the sewers to explain why our character seems to be wearing a bee-bonnet through the Rift. ;)
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

I wonder if you will be adding a paypal option for those of us without credit cards?

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”