Head Tracking/Gun controller help and suggestions required!!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Head Tracking/Gun controller help and suggestions requir

Post by brantlew »

@pedroagodoy: Yes, Vuzix is not compatible with GlovePIE. There is another project called FreePIE which is an open source alternative to GlovePIE and is compatible with Vuzix. It has some controller support but it is not complete. Wiimote is partially supported but PS3 is not. If you are only trying to walk through a CAD building then you don't need separate gun/head and you can probably function with just basic Wiimote buttons for motion and Vuzix for head tracking. It's hosted on GitHub but all the discussion is located in this forum. The binary build may not be up-to-date so you may have to compile it for the latest functionality. If you need script help, just ask. The syntax has changed a bit since many of the examples were posted.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=14483

https://github.com/AndersMalmgren/FreePIE

Side-by-side modes work fine on the Vuzix. You will have to use the menu system on the Vuzix control box to switch your 3D mode to the proper format. You can test the different modes out with 3D youtube videos.
pedroagodoy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pedroagodoy »

brantlew wrote:@pedroagodoy: Yes, Vuzix is not compatible with GlovePIE. There is another project called FreePIE which is an open source alternative to GlovePIE and is compatible with Vuzix. It has some controller support but it is not complete. Wiimote is partially supported but PS3 is not. If you are only trying to walk through a CAD building then you don't need separate gun/head and you can probably function with just basic Wiimote buttons for motion and Vuzix for head tracking. It's hosted on GitHub but all the discussion is located in this forum. The binary build may not be up-to-date so you may have to compile it for the latest functionality. If you need script help, just ask. The syntax has changed a bit since many of the examples were posted.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=14483

https://github.com/AndersMalmgren/FreePIE

Side-by-side modes work fine on the Vuzix. You will have to use the menu system on the Vuzix control box to switch your 3D mode to the proper format. You can test the different modes out with 3D youtube videos.

@brantlew: Thank you for your reply!!!! Actually I was hopping to use just the ps3 navigation!!! But its ok with wiimote too. I donwloaded Freepie earlier!!! I´ll try it later. I´ll check out side by side 3d on the youtube videos. Is bluray 3d videos compatible too?
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

You can try out MoveOnPC as someone had contacted me through Youtube that it work on his setup but I never try out this solution. I still prefer having a wiimote as I need more buttons for commercial game.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I have a version of my mouse emulator that works with Vuzix and also the Wiimote. However its really glitchy, and probably only works with newer Wiimotes (the black version with Motion+ inside). Because of this I never released it. I can send you a copy it you want (just private message me), but chances are it won't work correct. Not sure I will ever fix this, it probably makes more sense to put the effort into something like FreePIE.
Kent
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kent »

Thanks for the cool script pierreye. I modified it to use the nunchuck only for call of duty 2 and modified a different one for Unreal Tournament 2004. Not sure why, but the pitch drifts pretty bad in COD2. I have to recenter alot. Unreal Tournament doesn't drift as bad. But it doesn't work near as good as your youtube videos. Seems like I have the sensitivity set the same but the games prolly have different smoothing programing or somthing. I need to get a better computer to try it with the call of duty you wrote it for. Maybe I drift becuase my computer is kinda slow? Those old games run perfect without the wiimote however. Im using the Wrap 920 and a pentuim 2.8ghrz with hyperthreading. If I turn on the 920 mouse look headtracking with glovepie .3 and run 2 glovepies it eliminates the drift a bit because the wrap 920 doesn't drift but it has alot of lag compared to wiimotion plus. The wiimotion plus on the head for headtracking sounds better but that prolly drifts as well?
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Hi Kent, try to use the script from mass Effect 3. I had modified it to take the roll into consideration and it will solve the pitch drifting issue. I'm experimenting with second wiimote tie to left leg for jumping and crouching and so far work pretty good. Also play around with kinect using kinect sdk ver 1.5 with faast 1.0. The gesture work fine but l can feel the lag. The action and skeleton tracking seems to lag more than 100ms.
Fayt3X
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Fayt3X »

Is the WM+ still the only viable way to have motion tracking on the gun?

Has anyone had any luck getting the motion tracking to work with the move?
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

The open source API for Move at http://moveonpc.blogspot.com/ and http://code.google.com/p/moveframework/. I didn't try Move sensor as it's not supported by GlovePIE.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

pierreye wrote:The open source API for Move at http://moveonpc.blogspot.com/ and http://code.google.com/p/moveframework/. I didn't try Move sensor as it's not supported by GlovePIE.
Create a FreePIE plugin, wink, wink :P
Fayt3X
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Fayt3X »

CyberVillain wrote:Create a FreePIE plugin, wink, wink :P

I'll take a look at what's involved, I've never done this before so I can't make any promises.
If its doable I'll take a crack at it.

I've ordered a move and a navigator, I should get them in about a week.

[edit: this may be over my head]
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

CyberVillain wrote:
pierreye wrote:The open source API for Move at http://moveonpc.blogspot.com/ and http://code.google.com/p/moveframework/. I didn't try Move sensor as it's not supported by GlovePIE.
Create a FreePIE plugin, wink, wink :P
Need to brush up my programming in .NET :lol:
Kent
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kent »

Piereye, I thought you put the roll compensation in all of your glovepie scripts on your blog site. I don't see a mass effect 3 one, just COD, SKYRIM and Deadspace. I did try (WiiMotion Plus FPS - With Roll compensation.PIE) that you posted on this forum . But that didn't fix the drift. Is that one different than the Mass effect 3 one? And if so Where do i get it? cool idea about the wiimote on the leg. I was thinking about using the kinect again except with my hmd. Last time i used it with my pc i used it and faast to duck in time crisis 1 emulated on a psx emu using a wiimote to shoot. Couldnt get the IR wiimote to be even close to accurate tho and the IR wimote was lagy. looking forward to your wiimote on the leg scipt.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Hi Kent,

Yes, the roll compensation is the script that will detect the angle of wiimote and compensate. I'm not sure if you are using the genuine motionplus but the one I bought from dealextreme sometimes will give me different range of value. I need to modify the sensitivity value to compensate. For testing, after wiimote motionplus calibration, just put the wiimote on a flat surface and check if there is any drift for the mouse cursor. If it is moving slightly, most likely you need to tune down the sensitivity. You can change the value for speed modified for x,y until it stop drifting.
Kent
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kent »

Thanks for the advice Pierreye, My motion plus attachment only drifts in pitch when spinning around. I have two moiton plus's. One knockoff and one is spose to be genuine but who knows becuase I got them both from ebay. I have the same result from both of them. Maybe I just need a new store bought one. I'm going to try to turn the turnspeed down to see if that helps the drifting. Thanks
Kent
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kent »

well I turned down the turn speed which I assume is what you ment by the sensitivity value. It did not help the pitch drifting though. I double checked and I definity have 1 genuine wii motion plus. But they both drift the same. Maybe my computer is just to slow to keep up with the roll compensation code. Or maybe it something with my blutooth adapter which is a name brand Belkin. Anyone tried VR gun or head tracking with a regular gyro/air mouse? Might order me one of those.
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

@Pierreye- Has there been any new progress on this project?
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Manage to tie second wiimote to the leg for crouch and jump motion. I also experiment with Kinect but I feel that the lag and sometime the motion doesn't register wouldn't work well in games.

Next project I have in mind is racing/space simulation cockpit. Want to try out headtracking with Dirt3 and Wing Commander Freespace mod. The motion simulator is quite expensive so most likely I'll go for buttkicker first. I'm trying out FaceTrackNoIR which work fine but haven't try out with HMD on. I'm afraid if it track by eye then a HMD might be an issue. Another alternative is to use IR LED mounted to HMD and use FreeTrack. Next version of FaceTrackNoIR had consider including IR LED tracking.
alekki
Cross Eyed!

Post by alekki »

I have a question to pierreye. Hope you can help me out!

You are able to use both PS3 Move and the Navigation controller at the same time, right? If yes, how do you do it? I got both Move and the Navigation controller working with Motioninjoy, but I can't get them to work at the same time. I can pair them both and they both appear on DS3 Tool, but I can only select one of them at a time. The one selected works, the other one doesn't. So they can both be paired simultaneously but it can only receive input from one at a time. I have a usb dongle confirmed working with Motioninjoy.

Edit: How stupid of me, I just needed to use this software called Xpadder to bind the keys from both controllers. Now it works. Now I would just need a way to use the Move for mouse emulation. Or maybe it would be easier to get a Wiimote like you did.
Lookforyourhands
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Lookforyourhands »

Pierreye, is there any chance you could share the script for the wiimote tied to the leg for crouching and jumping ?

Also is there any possibility of implementing strafing into the mix ?

Thank you !!
Kent
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kent »

I second that! Please Pierreye. Can you release your glovepie script for ducking and jumping with the wiimote tied to your leg? I am trying to write one but not very good at this stuff.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”