3D Fix Manager - Application for installing 3D Vision Fixes

Axhillock
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: 3D Fix Manager - Application for installing 3D Vision Fixes

Post by Axhillock »

result.txt
Pauldusler wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:56 am Could you please run this console application? http://fixmanager.markus-guendert.de/do ... rivers.zip
It writes a result.txt to the folder where the ConsoleApp19.exe is. Please attach the file here or send it to duselpaul86@gmx.de. It lists all installed drivers on your system just to have clarity.

But still I wouldn't know how to identify which driver in driver store belongs to which Nvidia graphics card. Actually the driver hack would have to be applied to both folders then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
for3donly
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by for3donly »

Pauldusler wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:07 am
for3donly wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:52 pm Thanks Paul for a wonderful release to bring 3d into latest windows update. i just tried origin jedi fallen and it works fine in 3d, only an issue so far is that it cannot exit the game with its quit button, had to kill it with task manager, have no idea why. also just found that my powerdvd 18 that i uses for bluray 3d no longer works.
Did PowerDVD 18 still work with the BringBack Tool for you? For me DVD 18 still works but I haven't tested 3d blurays yet. I have all my 3D movies in mkv file format only. Somehwere I had 1 single 3D bluray but I can't find it currently xD.

EDIT: We don't need the driver hack for PowerDVD 18. The driver hack is needed for DX 11 games only. So the issue is not the driver hack but seomething else for you.
I feel like a dope. I tried bringback tool and thru the process found out that powerdvd setting of Play 3D Media in 3D was unchecked, once I checked it plays in 3D fine. So I went back to 3DFM 1.752 and found it was again unchecked, checked it and it plays fine. This setting used to stick and I never had to set it every time like this, probably has something to do with the addition of a new projector to the system, and that I've switching back and forth between monitor and projector, I'm not sure. But if I now stay with the same monitor then restart powerdvd the setting is still checked. Anyway, to summarize, 3DFM and powerDVD 3D works fine. Sorry about the false alarm.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

3DFM 1.753 released:
Download 3DFM 1.753

Change Notes 3DFM 1.753
  • Detection of Geforce driver also considers very exotic configurations now (Laptop with Mobile Nvidia graphics card + external Nvidia graphics card in Razer Core X case connected via Thunderbold). In this case we have 2 Geforce folders in Windows Driver store with same driver version. The path for the external card is chosen then.
    Update: Probably still not working

@Axhillock: I think you will be the only one profiting from this improvement as I can't imagine anyone else combines a laptop with an external graphics card. For this use case the Razer Core X case is just too expensive (300€ for the raw empty case with a thunderbolt connection). 3D users rather spend the money in PC then and not laptop.
If the solution still does not work please download and run this console application:
http://fixmanager.markus-guendert.de/do ... esults.zip
and post the results of "result.txt" here. (should be only 2 lines). This would help me to know what's happening on your PC.
Last edited by Pauldusler on Thu May 07, 2020 12:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Axhillock wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:20 pm result.txt
Pauldusler wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:56 am Could you please run this console application? http://fixmanager.markus-guendert.de/do ... rivers.zip
It writes a result.txt to the folder where the ConsoleApp19.exe is. Please attach the file here or send it to duselpaul86@gmx.de. It lists all installed drivers on your system just to have clarity.

But still I wouldn't know how to identify which driver in driver store belongs to which Nvidia graphics card. Actually the driver hack would have to be applied to both folders then.
Saw your post too late. The txt gives interesting information. It does not list the driver for your external graphics card at all. So 1.753 won't work. I assumed both cards /drivers would be found. You can still run the other console application which I posted directly above this post and send me results. If this lists your second GPU then I'll try again. Otherwise I have to skip. As said too exotic configuration hardly no one uses.
Axhillock
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Axhillock »

Pauldusler wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:42 pm
Axhillock wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:20 pm result.txt

Saw your post too late. The txt gives interesting information. It does not list the driver for your external graphics card at all. So 1.753 won't work. I assumed both cards /drivers would be found. You can still run the other console application which I posted directly above this post and send me results. If this lists your second GPU then I'll try again. Otherwise I have to skip. As said too exotic configuration hardly no one uses.
You were right. 1.753 did not work as expected. Checked the driver store tab and it reverted back to the old folder address. Jedi Fallen Order continued to crash on startup. I ran the console app again and have included the new txt file. If you find anything interesting, let me know. Otherwise I guess worst case scenario, I can just use BringBack3D with future geforce driver updates. Again, thank for you for all your hard work and dedication.
Axhillock
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Axhillock »

result.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Axhillock wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:50 pmresult.txt
Actually I meant another console application (sorry I think I haven't named them differently):

However this time the result.txt you posted contains the path to your other driver (the correct one) and the path for the mobile card is missing. What did you do that this changed? Did you set your GTX 1080 the main device or something like this in Nvidia Control Panel?
If you remember what you did then 3DFM 1.752 / 1.753 would work for you. My best guess is that for Windows desktop the mobile card is used (and therefore listed in console application). But as soon as you start a game the GTX 1080 is used (and the console app lists the other driver). I think somewhere in Nvidia Control Panel you can set to always use the external graphics card for both desktop and games.

Anyway could you also run the other console application as well please?

This is what I quickly found on google to use the better Nvidia card only:
  • Right Click on your desktop
  • Click NVIDIA Control Panel
  • Click Manage 3D Settings on the left menu
  • Click on the Preferred graphics processor drop down menu under the Global Settings tab
  • Select High-performance NVIDIA processor from the list
  • Click Apply
Axhillock
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Axhillock »

Pauldusler wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:40 am
Axhillock wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:50 pmresult.txt
Actually I meant another console application (sorry I think I haven't named them differently):

However this time the result.txt you posted contains the path to your other driver (the correct one) and the path for the mobile card is missing. What did you do that this changed? Did you set your GTX 1080 the main device or something like this in Nvidia Control Panel?
If you remember what you did then 3DFM 1.752 / 1.753 would work for you. My best guess is that for Windows desktop the mobile card is used (and therefore listed in console application). But as soon as you start a game the GTX 1080 is used (and the console app lists the other driver). I think somewhere in Nvidia Control Panel you can set to always use the external graphics card for both desktop and games.

Anyway could you also run the other console application as well please?

This is what I quickly found on google to use the better Nvidia card only:
  • Right Click on your desktop
  • Click NVIDIA Control Panel
  • Click Manage 3D Settings on the left menu
  • Click on the Preferred graphics processor drop down menu under the Global Settings tab
  • Select High-performance NVIDIA processor from the list
  • Click Apply
Ok. I ran the app just as you instructed and it looks like it found the path for each card. As suspected, I think 3DFM is defaulting to my mobile GPU instead of my desktop GPU. FYI, I just upgraded my desktop GPU, that's why it shows 1080ti instead of 1070 I listed before.
result.txt
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Axhillock wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:05 am Ok. I ran the app just as you instructed and it looks like it found the path for each card. As suspected, I think 3DFM is defaulting to my mobile GPU instead of my desktop GPU. FYI, I just upgraded my desktop GPU, that's why it shows 1080ti instead of 1070 I listed before. result.txt
This helps, thx. We can detect the names of all graphics cards and all driver paths in driver store now. So definitely fixable now. I'll work on this later today.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

3DFM 1.754 released:
Download 3DFM 1.754

Change Notes 3DFM 1.754
  • Detection of Geforce driver also considers very exotic configurations now (Laptop with Mobile Nvidia graphics card + external Nvidia graphics card in Razer Core X case connected via Thunderbold). In this case we have 2 Geforce folders in Windows Driver store with same driver version. The path for the external card is chosen then.
    Should be working this time!

@Axhillock: I hope it works now. If not then there must be still a small bug in the code. Makes testing harder when there is no way to simulate the same conditions. What happens is that 3DFM iterates over all display adapters now. It skips all non-Nvidia cards and then just looks if the name of the graphics card ends with M. These are skipped as well and the first one taken which does not end on M ("Mobile"). This in your case is the GTX 1080 TI.

To not break things for other people I've added the old method as well. If the new detection does not find the driver then the fallback-method is triggered which searches for the driver the old way.
Axhillock
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Axhillock »

Pauldusler wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:03 am 3DFM 1.754 released:
Download 3DFM 1.754

Change Notes 3DFM 1.754

@Axhillock: I hope it works now. If not then there must be still a small bug in the code. Makes testing harder when there is no way to simulate the same conditions. What happens is that 3DFM iterates over all display adapters now. It skips all non-Nvidia cards and then just looks if the name of the graphics card ends with M. These are skipped as well and the first one taken which does not end on M ("Mobile"). This in your case is the GTX 1080 TI.

To not break things for other people I've added the old method as well. If the new detection does not find the driver then the fallback-method is triggered which searches for the driver the old way.
Works perfectly! Thanks Paul!
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

for3donly wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:05 pm
I feel like a dope. I tried bringback tool and thru the process found out that powerdvd setting of Play 3D Media in 3D was unchecked, once I checked it plays in 3D fine. So I went back to 3DFM 1.752 and found it was again unchecked, checked it and it plays fine. This setting used to stick and I never had to set it every time like this, probably has something to do with the addition of a new projector to the system, and that I've switching back and forth between monitor and projector, I'm not sure. But if I now stay with the same monitor then restart powerdvd the setting is still checked. Anyway, to summarize, 3DFM and powerDVD 3D works fine. Sorry about the false alarm.
No problem. I haven't even tested how switching back and forth between projector and 3D Vision monitors affects Power DVD. Your info might prevent me from some headache if I run into the same issue :).
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Axhillock wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:20 pm Works perfectly! Thanks Paul!
Nice!

Does the DLL hack still work for other people in 3DFM 1.754? Changes should not have broken something but some confirmation would be useful.
Isaacvigo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Isaacvigo »

First look at 1,754:
In my configuration no change is reflected, everything works the same as before, fine.

I still have the same small incidents:
- Fixes try to update again (same as every time I update 3dfm)... etc ...

A watchmaker's job, making it compatible with the most exotic of configurations.

Crazy idea of ​​the day:
At the first launch of the program, a simple welcome panel (option new user or skip for old user) with customization options when making settings:
Choose a key for functions: increase / decrease convergence (custom / or default), choose a key for ..., etc. Save your preference profile.
(Existing profile, welcome panel disappears, and can be replaced by tip of the day, "Did you know ...?).
(I don't know if they remembered the ancient office with its talking clip, now maybe a talking 3d glass)
russellk
Cross Eyed!

Post by russellk »

Download 3DFM 1.754

Change Notes 3DFM 1.754

Hi Paul,

Is there a recommended way to install the Beta when I have the normal release installed? Is it just a case of extract one over the other? I just want everything to be as clean as possible and not lose any settings.
Apologies if this has already been covered, I did search but couldn't see it.
Win 10 1903 (Via 3dfix manager - Non DCH)/W11, 11700K, Gigabyte 2080Ti OC, Samsung G9, LG 3d OLED, 4k Projector, WMR Odyssey+
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

russellk wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:20 am
Download 3DFM 1.754

Change Notes 3DFM 1.754

Hi Paul,

Is there a recommended way to install the Beta when I have the normal release installed? Is it just a case of extract one over the other? I just want everything to be as clean as possible and not lose any settings.
I wouldn't recommend this way. Reason is the "Fixes" folder. If you created a new custom profile it gets the next higher folder number there. If a new release of 3DFM contains the same folder number then the custom profile is overwritten or some strange merging happens where e.g. a custom NPI file still exists although not indended to be used for the overwritten profile. If you haven't done custom changes to fix profiles then it should be ok to just overwrite all files.

However cleanest way is to delete all content in 3DFM folder first and put the new content in it. You don't lose your settings then as long as the path to 3DFM is kept the same (settings are store in C:\Users\xy... somewhere). The only thing you lose are custom settings done to the fix profiles which are stored in the "Fixes" folder. If you have done a lot of changes to the profiles then just make a backup of it and replace the original "Fixes" folder with your backup. Typically on auto updates 3DFM tries to keep custom fix profile settings but for beta / unofficial releases this is not available.
russellk
Cross Eyed!

Post by russellk »

Pauldusler wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:51 am
russellk wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:20 am
Download 3DFM 1.754

Change Notes 3DFM 1.754

Hi Paul,

I wouldn't recommend this way. Reason is the "Fixes" folder. If you created a new custom profile it gets the next higher folder number there. If a new release of 3DFM contains the same folder number then the custom profile is overwritten or some strange merging happens where e.g. a custom NPI file still exists although not indended to be used for the overwritten profile. If you haven't done custom changes to fix profiles then it should be ok to just overwrite all files.

However cleanest way is to delete all content in 3DFM folder first and put the new content in it. You don't lose your settings then as long as the path to 3DFM is kept the same (settings are store in C:\Users\xy... somewhere). The only thing you lose are custom settings done to the fix profiles which are stored in the "Fixes" folder. If you have done a lot of changes to the profiles then just make a backup of it and replace the original "Fixes" folder with your backup. Typically on auto updates 3DFM tries to keep custom fix profile settings but for beta / unofficial releases this is not available.
Thanks, that's great. I think the only time I created a custom profile was for Abzu in the past when I had SLI.
Win 10 1903 (Via 3dfix manager - Non DCH)/W11, 11700K, Gigabyte 2080Ti OC, Samsung G9, LG 3d OLED, 4k Projector, WMR Odyssey+
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Isaacvigo wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:17 am First look at 1,754:
In my configuration no change is reflected, everything works the same as before, fine.

I still have the same small incidents:
- Fixes try to update again (same as every time I update 3dfm)... etc ...

A watchmaker's job, making it compatible with the most exotic of configurations.

Crazy idea of ​​the day:
At the first launch of the program, a simple welcome panel (option new user or skip for old user) with customization options when making settings:
Choose a key for functions: increase / decrease convergence (custom / or default), choose a key for ..., etc. Save your preference profile.
(Existing profile, welcome panel disappears, and can be replaced by tip of the day, "Did you know ...?).
(I don't know if they remembered the ancient office with its talking clip, now maybe a talking 3d glass)
Thx for your feedback.
I want to investigate this further. When does the update message pop up exactly? Every time you start 3DFM?

Btw the crazy idea of the day isn't actually so crazy :). There are indeed a lot of people who just see the "Play" tab and never look into the other tabs. Especially for HelixVision this would be good as there are people who aren't used to Nvidia 3D Vision (Discover) and don't know that they can change convergence / 3D depth etc. with some hotkeys.
Isaacvigo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Isaacvigo »

The situation is reproduced by clicking on the list of games on the left.
After updating the manager:
I always go over the games in the listing starting at the bottom and up.
Clicking on each game takes a few seconds to load the photos and info. After loading the images, it suggests that there is an updated version of the fix.
Starting at the bottom, the first example is "wreckfest", and many others coming up have the same answer.
I always accept the update, for reasons of keeping the manager's database healthy. But every manager version change repeats the same behavior.
My usual procedure is: Update the fix, Yes. Update the dll, no.

Isolated case:
Yesterday I had an interesting isolated event, nothing serious but:
With Dragon age: Inquisition.
(Despite having the fix installed manually, with shortcuts created to open the necessary programs), the manager reflected the fix as uninstalled. When proceeding with the installation through the manager, it made the download and at the end of the installation it told me a permission error, try to start the manager as administrator, (by default I have it started as adm).
The case is that after closing and opening the manager, the fix appears as installed.
I already say that it is an isolated case ... but it is my commitment to make the feedback as complete as possible

Advanced research:
As I mentioned a few days ago the error log is seen producing messages frequently.
To not introduce too much straw here:
I have been saving the log error and emptying it, thus obtaining a constant that is always reproduced.
The next:

Code: Select all

System.NullReferenceException: Referencia a objeto no establecida como instancia de un objeto.
   en FixManager.Helpers.StereoHelper.<>c.<TrySetTrayIcon>b__24_5() en C:\Users\Markus Guendert\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\3D Fix Manager\WpfApplication3\Helpers\StereoHelper.cs:línea 609
   en System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   en System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback)
   en FixManager.Helpers.StereoHelper.TrySetTrayIcon(Stereo3dState stereo3DState) en C:\Users\Markus Guendert\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\3D Fix Manager\WpfApplication3\Helpers\StereoHelper.cs:línea 606
This log message is the only constant every time I empty the document.

Edit.- "Dead or alive 6" installs the fix outside the main folder of the game, (in the upper directory).
UnityBeing
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UnityBeing »

Thank you for your passionate work in 3DFM - thanks to you I can play games in 3D and in the process have a manager software that is reliable and easy to use. I donated and will continue donating as long as I have money.
ivan046
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ivan046 »

Could 3DFM join the Patreon? Paypal is not accessible in all the countries...
Hans Davis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hans Davis »

Hi. I recently had to reinstall windows due to instability. I've set everything up the same way as before but 3d fix manager is not working for me (same version of windows and bios, same drivers, etc.). I am using a passive 3d tv and It seems to fail to detect this. When trying to setup nvidea 3d vision it only offers the installation wizards for emitter hardware or powered glasses. The result is that when I try to boot a game in 3d it either crashes while trying to launch, or launches as a black screen with audio but no video depending on the game. The Nvidea test pattern works perfectly in 4K through NVIDEA control panel. I suspect something went wrong with the 3d fix manager installation. Clean reinstalling 425.31 followed by updating drivers through 3d fix manager has not helped, nor has reinstalling games and 3d fix manager. How can I get 3d fix manager to detect that I am using a passive display?

Basic specs: 1080ti, i7-8700K, LG 65E6P TV, Acer HR274 (ACRO2B9 EDID Override) - from a 4k 65E6V EDID mod which worked with 4k and HDR prior to windows reinstall

I should add that I have only tested games installed through Steam. I have tried disabling Steam overlay and launching in offline mode.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Hans Davis wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:27 pm Hi. I recently had to reinstall windows due to instability. I've set everything up the same way as before but 3d fix manager is not working for me (same version of windows and bios, same drivers, etc.). I am using a passive 3d tv and It seems to fail to detect this. When trying to setup nvidea 3d vision it only offers the installation wizards for emitter hardware or powered glasses. The result is that when I try to boot a game in 3d it either crashes while trying to launch, or launches as a black screen with audio but no video depending on the game. The Nvidea test pattern works perfectly in 4K through NVIDEA control panel. I suspect something went wrong with the 3d fix manager installation. Clean reinstalling 425.31 followed by updating drivers through 3d fix manager has not helped, nor has reinstalling games and 3d fix manager. How can I get 3d fix manager to detect that I am using a passive display?

Basic specs: 1080ti, i7-8700K, LG 65E6P TV, Acer HR274 (ACRO2B9 EDID Override) - from a 4k 65E6V EDID mod which worked with 4k and HDR prior to windows reinstall

I should add that I have only tested games installed through Steam. I have tried disabling Steam overlay and launching in offline mode.
"Black screen or crash on game start" - this sounds like you have installed windows 10 v. 1903 or higher? This version of windows requires a modification to the geforce drivers to fix these issues. To apply the driver modification the toggle located in the top right corner of window (below "3D" ) must be enabled. Did you enable this?

Did you start the game manually via steam? I ask because the driver hack would have been applied automatically if the game was started via 3dfm.

That the Nvidia 3d test application works for you also makes sense as the driver hack isnt required for this one. Generally only dx11 games need the hack, dx9 apps like the Nvidia test application therefore don't need it.
Hans Davis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hans Davis »

Windows Version 1909 10.0.18363 Build 18363. I do have that driver hack enabled. And I had tried opening from steam but was still getting crashes. I made some progress though. Just brute force trial and error really.
First I tried to clean up my driver install by using DDU and 3d Driver Changer to do a clean install of 425.31 using the guide from viewtopic.php?f=105&t=23277.
That got the test pattern working. Then reinstalled 3dtvplay which I believe is required for 3dtv compatability still?
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... upscaling/
Games still crashed or had no picture at launch if I had applied 3d fix in 3d fix manager.
Then I allowed 3d fix manager to upgrade me to the newest driver and apply all of the patches and fixes it wanted and I enabled the hack below the 3d mode toggle. This got the 3d quality out of the preview images for games but they still were not aligned perfectly. But everything still crashed on launch.

Then I noticed a couple of things. 1: Even if I uninstalled the 3d fix through 3d fix manager one game tested would still be permanently broken and no longer launch in 2d through steam. 2: After uninstalling the 3d fix through 3d fix manager a second game tested (FF15) did launch through steam, but it was in 3D! The resolution was too small and increasing the resolution failed to change resolution in full screen mode, but switching to boarderless corrected it. However, 3d was not working on HUD, which is mapped to a different set of presets in the 3d fix. And the 3d does not converge as correctly when not opened through 3d fix manager for some reason. My suspicion is that-somehow-I have ended up with 3d fixes installed more than once and it is causing crashes. I do not know how that happened though. Maybe while uninstalling and reinstalling games and 3d fix manager pieces of the original fix got left behind and then doubled upon re-installation? I am going to try uninstalling and seeing if any ff15 files are left in my system.
Hans Davis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hans Davis »

Yup. After uninstalling FF15 the folder still exists and contains d3dcompiler_46.dll from the 3d fix. Maybe I initially had bad driver installs and, while reinstalling games and fixes to troubleshoot, ended doubling 3d fix files and consequently crashing things. I will manually delete all 3d fix files, reinstall, and test again.
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

Uninstall.bat doesn't remove d3dcompiler_46.dll since it's possible it could be used by the game (i.e. already exist in the game folder). I think it was bo3b that said that but probably on the...other forum.
Win 10 v1909 / 1x Nvidia 980Ti GPU (v452.22, 1080p)
Hans Davis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hans Davis »

There were a few things going on. I mainly tested FF15 because that's what I want to actually play next. First uninstalling 3d fixes from 3d fix manager does not remove all fix files for this game. Reinstalling causes a doubling of one of them which causes crashes. Second, it is only working if I install the fix manually and launch the game from outside of 3d fix manager. If I enable the geforce hack toggle in 3d fix manager and then launch the game from outside of 3d fix manger, the hack works and greatly improves the 3d quality. And any settings that I enable from within 3d fix manager seem to be applied, such as 3d depth multiplier. I just can't fix or launch the game from within 3d fix manager. This is odd. It seems like I am getting the benefits of 3d fix manager provided 3d fix manager is open and I do not fix or open the game from within 3d fix manager.
Trying to install the fix and/or launch the fixed game from within 3d fix manager just breaks it. The two images do not converge and just overlap in 2d. The install folder name and steam id both seem correct.
I used this game when it came out on 3d fix manager on.. I think Thursday or Friday? It was released with a 3d fix manager update. Have there been additional updates over the weekend? The other variable is that I reinstalled windows over the weekend, possibly changing the version slightly, but drivers are the same as before. At least I can play it now, but I'll have to figure out what the problem is for future. Affects three games that I've tested.
Maybe there is a setting in 3d fix manager that I forgot to correct after reinstalling windows, as I have only installed the software once before almost a year ago. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Hans Davis wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:57 pm First uninstalling 3d fixes from 3d fix manager does not remove all fix files for this game.
Should be only d3dcompiler_46.dll left. This file is not allowed to be removed as it's part of the game itself and therefore needed. 3dmigoto uses a slighly modified version of this file. 3DFM restores the backuped original file on uninstall.
Hans Davis wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:57 pm Reinstalling causes a doubling of one of them which causes crashes.
Which file / files get doubled? What ist their name?

3DFM just copies the files of the 3D fix to the game directory or deletes them on uninstall. I don't see any reason for this happening.
Did 3DFM ask for restoring custom configurations on fix install? Deny this and look if it's working then.
Hans Davis wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:22 pm That got the test pattern working. Then reinstalled 3dtvplay which I believe is required for 3dtv compatability still?
Nvidia included 3DTV Play in 425.31 afaik so you don't need to install it separately any more.
Hans Davis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hans Davis »

3d fix manager did not ask any such question. It was just a button click and hotkey prompt as per usual.

Basically, the only way that I could get the fix running for final fantasy 15 was to uninstall the fix, delete d3dcompiler_46.dll manually, then reinstall the fix manually. If I simply uninstalled and then reinstalled through 3d fix manager I was ending up with both d3dcompiler_46.dll and d3dcompiler_47.dll. My best guess is that this was causing a conflict and the crash. Trying to run the game in 2d after uninstalling the fix did not work either unless I reinstalled the game through steam. My hunch is that maybe during uninstall through 3d fix manager, 3d modifications were left in d3dcompiler_46.dll and this caused problems, including failure of the fix manager to modify d3dcompiler_46.dll during reinstallation, and instead it would make a dupilicate called 47. That is only a hunch, but I know that I have the game running now and it looks glorious and runs perfectly other than one occasional graphical glitch that I can live with. I have no idea why it crashes at startup if I try to launch it from within the fix manager but launches fine from steam or the .exe (with all 3d fix manager settings applied correctly), but at least it's a work around for now - and it took me way too long to figure it out. I will have to test more games and go through the 3d fix manager settings meticulously when I have time. I have not touched much in the fresh install of 3d fix manager other than the 3d depth multiplier and setting up the tv profile with native resolution, correct size and hz, and reversed line interlacing. Would it help to launch it from 3d fix manager and post the event log of the crash?

Also, as I think I mentioned above, in the past when I have updated drivers through 3d fix manager I have gotten a 3d vision setup prompt which recognized that I had a passive 3d tv and nvidea 3d vision drivers, and the setup tests of 3d functionality (the ones with the triangles and squares and such) ran correctly. This weekend when I set up windows again, no matter how carefully I set up the drivers and 3d fix manager, that did not happen and instead the setup wizard wanted me to select what kind of 3d vision emitter I had. Back when I first learned to use these mods a year ago, that only happened if I had the wrong edid installed (such as an edid for a lower resolution or smaller screen), or if I was missing the 3dtvplay driver. I have the same edid and tv now as I did back then. I can't help but wonder if the new version of 3d fix manager is not recognizing my edid correctly. That might explain the wonky behavior, but this is pure speculation. I wonder what edid mod versions other users of 3d fix manager with an oled65e6p are using? Maybe someone with the same tv can share and we can compare notes?

As for the 3dtvplay driver in 425.31, I installed the standard version linked by 3d fix manager itself, using the software and tutorial which I linked above. Then I just let 3d fix manager handle the updating and additional installs for me. I did this all with the antivirus inactivated, so it SHOULD all have gone off without a hitch. This was basically the first thing I did after reinstalling windows and getting other drivers updated. The edid was installed after the 425.31 driver, as a clean install of 425.31 nvidea drivers resets my tv drivers. Also, I fully updated 3d fix manager before installing 425.31. I do have HDR on if that is important, but I have always used it with 3d fix manager with no problems.

Sorry for the long posts. Just trying to supply enough info to get to the bottom of the problem. It has probably got to be something simple that I have done wrong or you would be hearing from many more people, as this is a popular tv for 3d gaming.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

d3dcompiler_47.dll is part of the game itself according to Steam deposit: https://steamdb.info/depot/637651/

So no doubling of files happens here. When the old _46.dll can't be copied then it just fails. So there is no weird renaming of a _46 to _47 if copying the file fails. Microsoft did not implement such a mechanism into .NET. I'll look later if I have the game still hanging around on some HDD and check then.

For detecting your display you have to set up the display profile tab. I'll explain later.
Hans Davis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hans Davis »

Interesting. Couldn't resist a little more testing before bed. I had logs of high CPU usage co-concurring with those crashes. I did an old fix for high cpu usage crashes and "prefer maximum performance" in NVIDEA control panel. I should probably always leave that on but it was an auto. This allows ff15 to launch from 3d fix manager. When launched from 3d fix manager it is drawing way too much on the CPU, and I think I can see the reason. It's just not rendering correctly. Whenever it is launched from 3d fix manager it overrides something in the fix that I installed manually and only gives me two overlapping, non converging images.

I then tested Lust for Darkness in order to compare a very low CPU requirement game utilizing older software. That one boots and has sound but the screen is completely black. So I uninstalled the fix through 3d fix manager, reinstalled the fix manually, booted it through steam or the .exe, and it worked. I could then boot it through 3d fix manager with no problems PROVIDED I did not allow 3d fix manager to try to install a 3d fix (which it wanted to-probably because the manual install has an outdated 3dmigato). If I allowed the fix to install through 3d fix manager back to a black screen. Unlike ff15, uninstalling 3d fix through 3d fix manager was successful. It did not leave behind a corrupted d3dcompiler that could not be overwritten.

So good news, it's looking like I have a pretty solid work around of installing fixes manually, tweaking 3d fix profile, and then launching outside of the 3d fix manager but still getting the benefits of it. Bad news, 3d fix manager no longer knows how to automatically install fixes correctly for my display, and for at least one game, it actually effectively corrupts a file (or maybe that's just a nuance of that particular fix). This brings me back to my EDID incompatibility hypothesis. I think it was joker who linked this edid to me but I can't find the post where he did it. It's made for a lg oled 65E6V and is not any of the edids listed here:
viewtopic.php?f=181&t=23495
Most of these are for 55 inch tvs and don't work for me unless I tweak them which I have not yet learned how to do. Maybe I should try. Maybe 3d fix manager decided that it doesn't like me using a v edid for a p tv, though it's never mattered previously. Honestly not sure what the functional difference is between those two model numbers.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Seeing two non-converging images is typical when Compatibility Mode is enabled but not working correctly. Maybe you have ticked the "CMU" checkbox in 3DFM?
Hans Davis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hans Davis »

CMU is unchecked. I also have Show CMU warning on so that it can't come on without me knowing. Display profile tab is set up as tv profile Acer HR274H-link profile to display, 65 inch, reversed line interlacing optimized for geforce passive 3d, preferred 3d format reversed line interlacing, game resolution 3840, 2160, 60hz (both 2d and 3d mode settings, also desktop settings, this is my native), default profile on startup: tv. This is the only profile that I have set up. I do have another monitor but I have tried unplugging it to rule that out.
I see that you're right about _47 being part of the game, but I promise you that it did not install with steam for me. Maybe it shows up after you have played for a bit and so I made a misinterpreted where it came from. Anyway, deleting both that and _46 and then manually installing and launching the fix did work swimmingly. I have no explanation. I had steam validate files and it put _47 back. Game still works normally through manual launch. Breaks the same way through 3d fix manager launch. Deleting _46 still seems important to reinstalling the fix manually. Even if I uninstall ff15 from steam that apparently modified _46 is still there. Probably a unique idiosyncrasy of the fix.

I have tried running the game from 3d fix manager with all 3d fix manager settings at default other than those listed above. No dice.

Oh and found the archived link to the EDID I use. Seems pretty standard. I don't use eyeswapper software because choosing reverse interleaved in 3d fix manager takes care of that.

viewtopic.php?f=181&t=23437

I wonder if a core component of 3d fix manager failed to install but I've tried reinstalling multiple times with no antivirus. I am at a loss. This problem did not happen until I had to reinstall drivers using the new version of 3d fix manager due to need for a windows reinstall. It worked fine with drivers that had been installed with a previous version. Most other users have probably had their drivers installed through 3d fix manager for a long time and so they don't get this issue. Alternative and parsimonious explanation is that I did something stupid somewhere. I gotta be diligent in ruling that out. Testing of more games is certainly in order but both aforementioned games worked previously with what-to the best of my competency-were the same settings.
Hans Davis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hans Davis »

Hans Davis wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:11 am CMU is unchecked. I also have Show CMU warning on so that it can't come on without me knowing. Display profile tab is set up as tv profile Acer HR274H-link profile to display, 65 inch, reversed line interlacing optimized for geforce passive 3d, preferred 3d format reversed line interlacing, game resolution 3840, 2160, 60hz (both 2d and 3d mode settings, also desktop settings, this is my native), default profile on startup: tv. This is the only profile that I have set up. I do have another monitor but I have tried unplugging it to rule that out.
I see that you're right about _47 being part of the game, but I promise you that it did not install with steam for me. Maybe it shows up after you have played for a bit and so I made a misinterpreted where it came from. Anyway, deleting both that and _46 and then manually installing and launching the fix did work swimmingly. I have no explanation. I had steam validate files and it put _47 back. Game still works normally through manual launch. Breaks the same way through 3d fix manager launch. Deleting _46 still seems important to reinstalling the fix manually. Even if I uninstall ff15 from steam that apparently modified _46 is still there. Probably a unique idiosyncrasy of the fix.

I have tried running the game from 3d fix manager with all 3d fix manager settings at default other than those listed above. No dice.

Oh and found the archived link to the EDID I use. Seems pretty standard. I don't use eyeswapper software because choosing reverse interleaved in 3d fix manager takes care of that.

I wonder if a core component of 3d fix manager failed to install but I've tried reinstalling multiple times with no antivirus. I am at a loss. This problem did not happen until I had to reinstall drivers using the new version of 3d fix manager due to need for a windows reinstall. It worked fine with drivers that had been installed with a previous version. Most other users have probably had their drivers installed through 3d fix manager for a long time and so they don't get this issue. Alternative and parsimonious explanation is that I did something stupid somewhere. I gotta be diligent in ruling that out. Testing of more games is certainly in order but both aforementioned games worked previously with what-to the best of my competency-were the same settings.
Edit: I looked up the specs of my tv and the true diagnal screen distance is 64.5". I will try updating this in the Tv profile tomorrow, but I had been getting away with having it set to 65" until now. We will see.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Hans Davis wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:11 am CMU is unchecked. I also have Show CMU warning on so that it can't come on without me knowing. Display profile tab is set up as tv profile Acer HR274H-link profile to display, 65 inch, reversed line interlacing optimized for geforce passive 3d, preferred 3d format reversed line interlacing, game resolution 3840, 2160, 60hz (both 2d and 3d mode settings, also desktop settings, this is my native), default profile on startup: tv. This is the only profile that I have set up. I do have another monitor but I have tried unplugging it to rule that out.

I do some tests tonight after I have downloaded the game. From what I currently see is that some parts of d3dx.ini have been put into separate files. This e.g. explains why no hotkeys are shown in 3DFM. This shouldn't harm the fix in any way but let's see what my results are tonight .
russellk
Cross Eyed!

Post by russellk »

Out of interest, what display is showing up in Nvidia control panel when you look at the stereoscopic 3d settings?
Also, it is possible to upload a picture of what you mean by overlapping non converging images?
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Ok finally I downloaded and installed the 105 GB game files of Final Fantasy 15 and unfortunately a complete waste of time. I just pressed the "Play 3D"-button in 3DFM and everything worked out of the box on my 3D Vision monitor. No crash. I used a cracked version by ElAmigos as I don't want to buy the game just for testing whether the 3D fix installation works or works not. Then I tested with Reversed Interlace from 3Dmigoto + 3DFM display profile and it still worked (of course not seeing the 3D effect any more on my 3D Vision monitor but I was able to see the typical interlacing effect on the 2D image). And I was able to switch through different 3D formats by pressing F11.

Then I uninstalled the 3D fix via 3D Fix Manager and launched the game in 2D. Still working perfectly. If the code base of 3D Fix Manager was completely wrong I would at least not be able to launch in 2D any more now. Maybe it's related to LG OLED EDID override or some other configs on this exotic setup. But for 3D Vision monitors it works.

Something which annoys me is that some shader hackers conclude that 3DFM generally destroys their 3D fixes although this is generally not true. Some of them don't even want to check if those rumors are true as they don't even started 3DFM one single time so far. At least they get some support requests by 3DFM users (it seems mainly by LG OLED users) and join blaming 3D Fix Manager then. I'm not even able to test this exotic display setup. Maybe it's because the passive 3D EDID override doesn't work on Windows 10 v.1909 correctly any more. Or maybe 3DTV Play doesn't work as expected any more. I can't test anything of this as I purely have 3D Vision monitors only and a projector only capable of 3D frame sequential in Generic CRT mode what is basically the same as 3D Vision (my devices: Asus PG278QR, Asus PG278Q and Optoma UHD 40). The only thing I can tell: 3D works on my Windows 10 v. 1909, GTX 1080, Asus PG278Q(R) and Optoma UHD 40 on final fantasy 15 and all other games I have installed (approximately 66 installed games currently). 3DFM destroys no fixes here. Even not when updating from older 3dmigoto versions. And 2D never got broken so far when installing / uninstalling 3D fixes via 3DFM xD.
Last edited by Pauldusler on Mon May 11, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 13 times in total.
nintynuts
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nintynuts »

Hi @pauldusler.
I just tried updating from NV 425 to 445 because of 3DFM's suggestion to do so, and now 3Dmigoto hacked games crash or don't use shader hacks. Any ideas?
I am using 3D vision with a Passive TV and EDID override, in case that's helpful, but it was working fine on 425. Windows 10 is latest version and I have the 1903 toggle on in 3DFM. Thanks.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

nintynuts wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:42 pm Hi @pauldusler.
I just tried updating from NV 425 to 445 because of 3DFM's suggestion to do so, and now 3Dmigoto hacked games crash or don't use shader hacks. Any ideas?
I am using 3D vision with a Passive TV and EDID override, in case that's helpful, but it was working fine on 425. Windows 10 is latest version and I have the 1903 toggle on in 3DFM. Thanks.
Please run this console application and post your results here (content from created result.txt file). This helps finding out what goes wrong.
nintynuts
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nintynuts »

Code: Select all

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_9952681a7bb1dfac\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_9952681a7bb1dfac\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_9952681a7bb1dfac\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_9952681a7bb1dfac\nvldumdx.dll
It's just my GPU name and the same DLL path repeated 4 times.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”