Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

I'm not 100% sure on how the order number relates to the real position, but you can get a good idea from this spreadsheet....
http://riftorders.aws.af.cm/

AFAIK, the number in brackets after the order number should be the actual order position (or at least the best estimation of it).

OzOnE.
iarehuuman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by iarehuuman »

dusel wrote:This might be kind of a stupid question, but can someone tell me what my order number actually means? I mean, literally the number!

Because i've read in the last blogpost from oculus vr that they shipped a total of 17000 units by now. My order Number is 59xxx. This doesnt mean that there have actually been 59xxx people before me ordering one right? :D Because if so, i can not imagine that they make it to ship current orders in August if there are another 42000 orders between me and those 17k already send. Can somebody explain? :D
59xxx is your unadjusted order number (order numbers jump around frequently). By entering it in to http://riftorders.aws.af.cm/ it provides you with an estimated adjusted order number which is much more accurate.
Bleppe
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bleppe »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:I'm not 100% sure on how the order number relates to the real position, but you can get a good idea from this spreadsheet....
http://riftorders.aws.af.cm/

AFAIK, the number in brackets after the order number should be the actual order position (or at least the best estimation of it).

OzOnE.
How trustworthy is that site regarding deliverydates?
Do we actually know how many they ship each month?
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

Brought my Rift over to my mom's house to give her and a couple other relatives a shot.

They tried a few different demos and then we got to the Rift Coaster. I told them to stay sitting down but my mom got excited and stood up. When it went into the little tunnel around the big corner she lost her balance, fell back into an end table and knocked it over and fell on the ground. She was fine (she's in her mid 50's) and she laughed it off. Scared me for a second, but then I just laughed.

I've had my Rift for a little while now (a couple months now?) and I'm absolutely loving it. My main racing game, iRacing, is supposed to get official Rift support at the end of the July according to one of the developers, so I'm super excited for that.

The resolution and screen door effect doesn't bother me much after a couple minutes in the game, but I can't wait for the consumer version with 1080p or better.
BDVS4Ever
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BDVS4Ever »

Well....... It's Here!! :D
i7 2600k @ 4.7ghz, AMD 6870 @ 1.1ghz, and all cooled by fans XD lots and lots of fans...
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

BDVS4Ever wrote:Well....... It's Here!! :D

Well....... first impressions / order number / Country of delivery? 8-)
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

@ superbike81:
They tried a few different demos and then we got to the Rift Coaster. I told them to stay sitting down but my mom got excited and stood up. When it went into the little tunnel around the big corner she lost her balance, fell back into an end table and knocked it over and fell on the ground. She was fine (she's in her mid 50's) and she laughed it off. Scared me for a second, but then I just laughed.
Holy crap man, you were lucky. I don't let anyone do Rift Coaster standing up without me standing behind them, ready to grab them if they start to fall. Glad your mum is ok.
Dmafia
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dmafia »

Got a call from customs saying they have my Rift. WHAT THE screw
BDVS4Ever
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BDVS4Ever »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:
BDVS4Ever wrote:Well....... It's Here!! :D

Well....... first impressions / order number / Country of delivery? 8-)
So after messing with it for a few hours, here's what I have to say so far.

Packaging - Only came with one 6' hdmi cable and a dvi->hdmi adapter and of course the usb and power cords.

I'll start with the cons -
-I have two red pixels that are stuck, but you can only notice it when the screen is dark (black).
-Screen door effect was a bit worse than I was expecting. It's still manageable, but it breaks immersion with very detailed games.
-Screen refresh was about what I was expecting. It's good enough for this application, but it'll need to be bumped up to a 1 or 2ms response for a good VR hud.
-Games with very high detail are hard to play. Such as playing DiRT 3 with vireio. It's hard to see the road far off with such low resolution.

All of these things I was expecting though, with this being a dev kit and all. It's a good look into what's to come though.

As for the pros -
-Set up was very easy thanks to all the guides that the community has provided over the past few months.
-Low res games such as MinecRift and the titans of space demo are amazing at showing scale. Once the screen resolution gets a good bump up, HD games will look amazing.
-depth perception is amazing. You get a good sense of speed and scale.
-I had the thing on for about 2 hours straight and the weight didn't wear out my neck.
-Oddly, I have yet to get motion sick. Which is very odd since I've always gotten headaches and sick from FPS's and Stereo 3D tv's.

So over all, it was well worth the $300 to get a early look at what's to come in the next year or so. I still need to mess around with the setting and the different eye cups to see what has the best effect for me. I've only tested out a hand full of demo's and a few games in vireio. So there's still a lot to do.
i7 2600k @ 4.7ghz, AMD 6870 @ 1.1ghz, and all cooled by fans XD lots and lots of fans...
Mindvent
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mindvent »

47317 Australia arrived today!

Status still on 'Processing' - went to processing on Tuesday July 9th 2013.

It was random luck I had a day home today to accept the delivery...! :D

Loving the Rift so far! :woot
Tacklebait
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tacklebait »

45012 arrived today, British Columbia Canada. Missed the ups guy.. booo . Paid brokerage fees over the phone and they will leave it with my neighbors tomorrow while i'm at work.

$98.02 ... bahh that stung..
stalemate22
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stalemate22 »

recieved my rift (australia) 17/7/2013
i ordered it in april. my order number was just over 50000.
i hope that gives some an estimate of when to expect their rift.
btw i love the helicopter demo the most here is a link if you dont have it........
http://www.grin.be/previews/heli-hell/o ... -hydra.zip
i tried getting minecraft to work for about a gillion hours with no lucky. (palmer punn)
oblivion is not very good, i was very sad about that. but all comes down to personal pref.
iarehuuman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by iarehuuman »

I just received the 48-hours-till-processing email today (to Florida.) Order num. 519xx, will update when flipped to shipping and when arrives, both here and on http://riftorders.aws.af.cm/
jdub1981
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jdub1981 »

I just received my about to ship email as well. I ordered mine May 4th.
AlienHack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AlienHack »

got to processing last monday.
Order Number 48268 From Greece

so when should i receive it? this week? next?
Kamus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kamus »

jdub1981 wrote:I just received my about to ship email as well. I ordered mine May 4th.
Well, i hope they get my order processed for the August batch then. I ordered mine last week and i haven't received an e-mail. So i'm hoping that their next batch is big enough.
Applemung
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Applemung »

Copied from my other topic but though it fits well here.

I might just be the person that has waited the least amount of time for the rift. Ordered july 6th and arrived 23rd.
And to jelly further, I am in Australia. Weird, but lucky.

My first impressions. I am sold. Take my money. Big plans, angry missus. profit??
Ok more seriously. As a newbie to VR I could use this HMD as an end product despite it's shortcomings.

Firstly the low resolution:
I grew up with a really crappy first computer, that was already old back in counterstrike 1.3 days.
If any of you guys played that you would know that the graphics even on high were not state of the art, so divide that by 10 and that's how I played
for the first year of my PC gaming life. Prior to that I was an avid Super Nintendo player. In short I am used to low resolutions so that does not affect me
whilst using the rift. I have found that forcing AA and playing around with the resolution has sharpened some aspects of rift demos.

The screen door effect:
What screen door effect? Seriously I can not fathom why people are finding ways to diffuse the screen to minimise the already minimal effect. I can only see the screen door effect when I try to focus on a single pixel and only then it becomes apparent. Maybe I'm still caught up with the whole immersion effect that this device gives.
I know that science has already proven that our brains wash out persistent image effects, maybe my brain does this a little quicker or at least I don't focus on the
imperfections so they don't seem apparent to me. The first imperfection I saw was the image blur when turning around quickly but even that seemed to disappear after a minute.

The sickness:
The only time I felt motion sickness was was when I was doing things that I know should not have been done ie controlling head movement with a joy pad along with the rift tracking. Any other time where I only control forwards and backwards feels comfortable. The bummer comes a day after use. Throbbing headache this morning, but not immediately after waking. I was fine when I first got up but about an hour later I went to pick something up off the ground and then it felt like all the blood rushed into my brain and BAM! Throbbing headache for half a day. Not good when my job requires precision and fine attention to detail. Good thing I'm inundated with paperwork at the moment cause id feel like I'd make a very expensive mistake otherwise. I'll try using some other lenses and see how it goes. Maybe its from my lack of never using any 3d product before, maybe only with time it will go away so for now I'll take it 15 mins a day and see if the headaches get better or worse. - Update: No more headaches!

I think that trying to adapt already available games is not the best way to go. I have had much more fun with game demos that have been specifically created for the rift
rather than playing some half baked adaptation. In saying that I think that one of the most interesting "adapted" game is Doom3 BFG. Even with some of the shortcomings of adapting an older game it still is a hoot to play. Even doom 2 is supported with the rift!
Thom Yorkes Wobbly Eye
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Thom Yorkes Wobbly Eye »

According to UPS my Rift has been delivered! Can't wait to get home, today is going to drag!
JustJoshin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JustJoshin »

Applemung wrote:I think that trying to adapt already available games is not the best way to go. I have had much more fun with game demos that have been specifically created for the rift
rather than playing some half baked adaptation.
My experience has been the opposite. I enjoyed the **** out of Half Life 2 in VR (about 20hours on that play through I think). Re-played the whole game and it was thoroughly enjoyable. Now to play through episode 1 and 2 :D

I have also enjoyed a few hours in TF2. I was really hoping to play dishonoured but the lack of HUD and inability to read any text, mission objectives / books makes it difficult for a first play through.
whelanweb
Cross Eyed!

Post by whelanweb »

I snapped :-/

I finally ordered a dev kit. Hopefully I wont have to wait too long my order number is 063628

I had a demo from another mtbs user a few weeks ago and couldn't get it out of my head. Then after seeing IRacing getting full support I couldn't help myself.

How long do you reckon I'll be waiting. A Month or two ? Im thinking November but hopefully I'll be surprised.
Trabbi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Trabbi »

whelanweb wrote:I snapped :-/

I finally ordered a dev kit. Hopefully I wont have to wait too long my order number is 063628

I had a demo from another mtbs user a few weeks ago and couldn't get it out of my head. Then after seeing IRacing getting full support I couldn't help myself.

How long do you reckon I'll be waiting. A Month or two ? Im thinking November but hopefully I'll be surprised.
Theres a big EU batch coming now, orders from 52000 to 60 or 61000 are getting fulfilled, so you could be in the next EU batch i guess, a few weeks from now maybe.
Kamus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kamus »

whelanweb wrote:I snapped :-/

I guess that means they are selling about 1,000 - 1,500 dev kits a week. I ordered mine on the 24th of July. And mine is 062xxx

I can only imagine this number will keep growing from here on. The "pewdiepie" videos have given it a lot of exposure this week.

Now, as of when it will ship... The only reason I ordered one was because they claimed they would be able to fulfill ALL orders in Augoust. But even if this is true, It could still be almost a full month before our orders ship. And let's just hope they don't run out of dev kits because they underestimated the demand.
whelanweb
Cross Eyed!

Post by whelanweb »

Thanks Guys , i'll keep you updated. If rift sales keep up at this rate they will have close to 50k worth of units sold by the years end. Big numbers considering they haven't done any real advertising yet. The world ( real world ) doesn't know whats going to hit it in the next 12 months. :lol:
Caforiss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Caforiss »

Owen wrote:Mine arrived today, two kits order 2400something. TF2 is amazing, the calibration especially is spot on, I hope that method gets used in a driver tool.

Now to get cranking on Armored Ops.
Armored Ops!!
Good to hear this is still going. How is the new engine coming? Your original youtube video is what finally convinced me to grab a pre-order. Cant wait to try it, looks awesome!
[color=#00BF00]Not Sure if Virtual Reality or Actual Fantasy?[/color]
ripcurl123
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ripcurl123 »

mine came two weeks early thanks oculus
groovyd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by groovyd »

Got my Rift and ready to try and incorporate it into the Kaneva virtual world my company is building... Are the drivers for interfacing available for download yet?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The Rift does not require drivers, but you will need to use the SDK to integrate it into your game or engine.

Check on the Oculus developer center for the download.

Return to “Oculus VR”