Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

Purgatus
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

Post by Purgatus »

Its not the waiting, I've been waiting for a while and I can deal with more. Its the not knowing. For the love of god, just a tiny blip of information about where they are in the process at would settle my nerves greatly.
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

Purgatus wrote:Its not the waiting, I've been waiting for a while and I can deal with more. Its the not knowing. For the love of god, just a tiny blip of information about where they are in the process at would settle my nerves greatly.
Agreed. I just wanna know the ball is rolling. That first step, the first batch shipping. Once we know the process of shipping is in full swing, it's only a matter of time till we get our kits.
I've still got a few more weeks to wait, since I ordered in early Jan.. But I'm not worried about that, it's not the wait that bothers me..

What bothers me is this unexpected delay. After all the talk of having the Rift go out "mid march", the last week of the month isn't "mid". So either something is wrong, or they're artificially delaying shipments for BS PR reasons. And repeatedly saying "tons of people will have it by GDC", not even a week ago, makes this even worse.

If they want us to chill out, I think they should just say "Yes, we're trying to synchronize the arrival of Dev Kits, with the start of GDC, for PR reasons." And end all this stress. Otherwise our minds run wild with worries.. lol

I really hate to get upset about something like this.. I'm totally understanding about how crazy things must be for the Oculus guys right now.. But seriously, being honest and open about the first shipping batch is kinda an important issue for the community. :/
cerulianbaloo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by cerulianbaloo »

ja30278 wrote:
ja30278 wrote:
Okta wrote:W00000000000000000T.

Just had a nice present arrive at the door. Had a quick opening, its awseome. Will do a detailed report once i get home from work and have a play!!!

:woot
Soo...whatever happened to this? Joke?
We still never got an update from Okta. Did anyone confirm whether he got asked to keep quiet? I can't imagine why he'd be 'embargo'd from simply confirming he'd gotten a package.
Can a company even do that if an NDA or embargo hadn't been agreed on prior to the purchase and/or shipping of a product? I mean really what could be that much of a surprise of the dev kit at this point that we don't know about, or would totally blow their element of showmanship for GDC? Outside of some potential game demos that haven't been announced to be included in the package (which I doubt), I don't see what the reasoning would be behind a gag order at this point.

And there's also the possibility that okta is blowing smoke up our chimney. We've got a few pre kickstarter people who've already made mention of no shipping confirmation, zilch on that end for them. So what's more likely, okta is the first receiver of a dev kit and is suddenly silenced, or that they haven't even begun shipping yet? I'm going for the latter until we see otherwise.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

The one that really got me was the Saturday email that said "Better double check your address because you only have 24 hours to make changes!"

But still. I'm good. It hurts a bit but I know I'll eventually get it.

I'm good.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

walk it off..walk it off... maybe put some ice on it.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

As a medical doctor I would prescribe a strict regimen of chill-pills.

Stat.
ja30278
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ja30278 »

NikoKun wrote:
Purgatus wrote:Its not the waiting, I've been waiting for a while and I can deal with more. Its the not knowing. For the love of god, just a tiny blip of information about where they are in the process at would settle my nerves greatly.
Agreed. I just wanna know the ball is rolling. That first step, the first batch shipping. Once we know the process of shipping is in full swing, it's only a matter of time till we get our kits.
I've still got a few more weeks to wait, since I ordered in early Jan.. But I'm not worried about that, it's not the wait that bothers me..

What bothers me is this unexpected delay. After all the talk of having the Rift go out "mid march", the last week of the month isn't "mid". So either something is wrong, or they're artificially delaying shipments for BS PR reasons. And repeatedly saying "tons of people will have it by GDC", not even a week ago, makes this even worse.

If they want us to chill out, I think they should just say "Yes, we're trying to synchronize the arrival of Dev Kits, with the start of GDC, for PR reasons." And end all this stress. Otherwise our minds run wild with worries.. lol

I really hate to get upset about something like this.. I'm totally understanding about how crazy things must be for the Oculus guys right now.. But seriously, being honest and open about the first shipping batch is kinda an important issue for the community. :/
Yea, this is the one that's annoying for me. The screen change stuff may have been blown out of proportion over the past few days, but I honestly don't understand why someone can't just give a brief update on shipping. After Saturday's 'last chance to update your address' update, and the multiple comments around 'tons in developer's hands before GDC', there's a pretty reasonable expectation that these things were going to start shipping early this week.

If they aren't going to ship until after GDC..fine, but just say so.
Flim
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Flim »

Agree,

Time for a noon update!.... It would be nice to know either way...
Aabel
Cross Eyed!

Post by Aabel »

I'm starting to believe that 'tons' of developers will have theirs before GDC really means an exclusive VIP list of well known companies who will show at GDC. Should have used a work email and address for shipping instead of personal information.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Just to add to the rumors :
http://whois.domaintools.com/oculusvr.com

Expiration date: 15 Apr 2013 01:08:25
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

densohax wrote:Just to add to the rumors :

The rumor that domains expire a year after you register them?
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

jack612 wrote:
densohax wrote:Just to add to the rumors :

The rumor that domains expire a year after you register them?

I wasn't serious you know ...
LazloTheGreat
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LazloTheGreat »

Oculus Team: Dear backers, earlier in the week we felt it our duty to apologize in advance for the oncoming torrent of Oculus news, as we know how dauntingly frustrating it must feel by now to face the potential threat of being excessively informed. Well, GOOD NEWS!! In our enduring hope to still spare you any such devastation unless absolutely and unavoidably necessary, we at Oculus are now relieved to be able to allay your fears in confidently letting you know that we have, in fact, managed after all to stop this formidable informational torrent dead in its tracks! And while we can't promise to keep you safe from it forever, we can at least promise that, for the time being, this informational threat has, indeed, been contained. And further, though we will do our best to prevent it, should the torrent be loosed again and result in an epidemic plague of knowledge, we once more would like to sincerely apologize in advance.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just teasing. ;) Patiently looking forward to the kit. :D
aitorman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by aitorman »

IDK if this is a recent change or not, but in the official FAQ from oculusvr.com it says that the oculus sdk will be available "as soon as the developer kits start shipping, estimated april 2013", so does that mean that they won't be shipping on march?
ja30278
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ja30278 »

aitorman wrote:IDK if this is a recent change or not, but in the official FAQ from oculusvr.com it says that the oculus sdk will be available "as soon as the developer kits start shipping, estimated april 2013", so does that mean that they won't be shipping on march?

According to the wayback machine, it has said 'April' since at least January 15th.

http://web.archive.org/web/201301151317 ... r.com/faq/
aitorman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by aitorman »

ja30278 wrote:
aitorman wrote:IDK if this is a recent change or not, but in the official FAQ from oculusvr.com it says that the oculus sdk will be available "as soon as the developer kits start shipping, estimated april 2013", so does that mean that they won't be shipping on march?

According to the wayback machine, it has said 'April' since at least January 15th.

http://web.archive.org/web/201301151317 ... r.com/faq/
OK, great!
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

Well I agree now honestly i think the silence is not very nice. I dont mind waiting if calculuations are correct there is a chance i might can get mine near end of april would be be awesome! BUT this all hinges on the fact that the first batch NEEDS to ship out by the end of March otherwise it will delay everything else

plus the longer it takes for the first batch to really get out . the longer it takes to see more cool dev demos and showcases for the rift or older games to get a workaround to get it to work with the rift by some people etc. Oculus you did enough PR for now a ton of people are hyped, its time to at least make good on the people who plopped down good money to be apart of it

besides in the email you sent this week (the week is almost over now) you said "We apologize in advance of the news" i.e. a lot of news was coming......but so far nothing. No new updates no real info, nothing.

I am HOPING that by this weekend or perhaps the very start of next week there will be a "Flood" of news and infomation a) sdk is released,. offical dev forums are put up , more info on unity and udk intigration and detailed info on the first batch of shipping

partically what would be benifitical is just how many units were able to be actually shipped in the first batch and how many units up to say that date are on pre-order so that may give us a better time table as to when to expect it.

anyways yeah i was expecting a bunch of news so far.

Oculus please dont leave us in the dark. a lot of us have supported you and really want this to work you have been really good up to this point to keep us updated on things but please dont let us down now ok?

:-(.

but heres hoping for some zomgs news in the next few days to make it worthwhile.

but yeah its kind of sad to say "were going to have a ton of people who have the rift) by GDC the only way that can happen is if they ship it today or tomorrow because some people it would just take 1 day or 2 to get it ...if they live near CA so.. we will see.

please ship as soon as possible i dont feel like waiting till august to get mine :-( rawr!!!!!
iceman25c
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by iceman25c »

brantlew wrote: Two minutes later after Nirav got me a quick firmware update, I was out the door.
Is it possible that some of the delay is alluded to from this post earlier in the thread?

Long time lurker, first time poster.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

My current nemesis:

Inbox(1)

Honestly, my heart races.
Purgatus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Purgatus »

Seems like there is a good deal of confusion about the start of delivery.

I kept hearing the "we want to get them going before GDC starts" line, others are saying "its always been april as per the Oculus FAQ"

I'd love to know which it is for sure and for certain.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

As of 7 days ago Palmer wrote:
We are still on target to have a lot of units in people's hands by GDC, as per the last few updates we have given. ;)
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... st/c8vmm4n

EDIT: For the pedantic please note that he says "by GDC" and not "by the start of GDC" so it could be the last day.
Farox
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Farox »

Purgatus wrote:Seems like there is a good deal of confusion about the start of delivery.

I kept hearing the "we want to get them going before GDC starts" line, others are saying "its always been april as per the Oculus FAQ"

I'd love to know which it is for sure and for certain.
PalmerTech wrote: We are still on target to have a lot of units in people's hands by GDC, as per the last few updates we have given. ;)
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... st/c8vmm4n
Last edited by Farox on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Nice one! Within seconds!
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

So far, Oculus has been forthcoming with updates once they have all the information nailed down. Palmer has been on the boards this afternoon, and hasn't replied to these threads (though he usually only comments on technical threads and no longer announces anything significant here). I'd say either they plan to drop some money and ship these things fast, or there is some unknown issue they are still waiting on and we will be updated when the new ship date is certain.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

I know this might be hard for some of you, but I seriously suggest trying to put the Rift out of your mind. Try not to obsess over whether it will ship tomorrow, or next week. Just... live your life.

You have the power.
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

well im a normally a patient sort of guy , and delays are possible what ever the product your trying to delivering , and oculus have obviously got there hands full at the moment with the shee number of orders they have going out .
But its as easy for them as it is for me or u or any of us to write a short simple email of forum post just to say whats happening at present and put an end to this , after all we are human and have morals , as individuals or company .
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

jaybug wrote:I know this might be hard for some of you, but I seriously suggest trying to put the Rift out of your mind. Try not to obsess over whether it will ship tomorrow, or next week. Just... live your life.

You have the power.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Curiously (or not), when they announced their first 4 month delay, they left it to the last moment.

Things that make you go hmmm.....
digitaljohn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by digitaljohn »

Mel wrote:Curiously (or not), when they announced their first 4 month delay, they left it to the last moment.

Hmmm indeed
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

Rickardo69 wrote:well im a normally a patient sort of guy , and delays are possible what ever the product your trying to delivering , and oculus have obviously got there hands full at the moment with the shee number of orders they have going out .
But its as easy for them as it is for me or u or any of us to write a short simple email of forum post just to say whats happening at present and put an end to this , after all we are human and have morals , as individuals or company .
My guess is letting us know isn't the problem(if there is one of course) it's letting the press know, any information no matter how small that might single a delay would be snapped up by the press quick. Breaking a promise made in previous interviews doesn't just look bad it looks short sighted, however I remain confident that I will get the Dev Kit reward eventually and we should leave it to them. We have to remember even though main kickstarter rewards for backing are just a shallow pretense for selling the actual product it is still technically a reward and therefor we have no actual right to know any information at all. and less us not forget that the future of VR is at stake, if Oculus eats it its more then likely going to bury VR for another few years.

So i say lets kick back, grab a cold one and cool off watching MLP, mmk?
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

digitaljohn wrote:
Mel wrote:Curiously (or not), when they announced their first 4 month delay, they left it to the last moment.

Hmmm indeed
Hmmmm
digitaljohn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by digitaljohn »

Goin to bed now.
Itinerati
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Itinerati »

Nogard wrote: So i say lets kick back, grab a cold one and cool off watching MLP, mmk?
Now that's a plan I can go for.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

digitaljohn wrote:Goin to bed now.
Good idea. Wake me up when they ship.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Nogard wrote:
So i say lets kick back, grab a cold one and cool off watching MLP, mmk?
My Little Pony?
Pokey
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pokey »

Palmer's a brony

it's his worst attribute
mgood
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mgood »

Friendship is magic.
Tirregius
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tirregius »

OK, I need to give my anticipation a break....just poured my son some milk - the expiration date jumped out at me: "Apr 22." Instantly, I had the thought that I could have my own Rift by the time that milk goes bad. Earlier I was reviewing my appointments from last week and I kept wondering if one of those fateful days marks the one my dev kit was born. Enough already!
EmerJency
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by EmerJency »

Reminds me of Robot Chicken.
Apocalypse_Pony.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Oculus VR”