FreePIE official thread

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Re: FreePIE official thread

Post by CyberVillain »

logicalChimp wrote:Just finished testing the 'stopping' patch - works great :)

Edit: tested on the home machine (which doesn't have the problems that the works laptop does :D)
Nice! :D I really want to solve the problem on your job machine, but I really do not know whats wrong, since it crashes so early
Last edited by CyberVillain on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
logicalChimp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by logicalChimp »

Looks like it may be a dependency issue. Just got a mate to install it on his works laptop, and it ran fine - but he's had plenty of time to install various other tools / libraries / programs etc. My laptop is a fresh build, and I'm still in the process of trying to find all the tools I normally use.

I remember a post further back in this thread on how to check for dependencies - I'll see if I can find it and follow the steps in there.

Edit: Does FreePIE use 'IESHIMS.dll'?
Just ran the DLL dependency checker from 'http://www.dependencywalker.com/' over FreePIE.exe, and the only reported error was for the ieshims.dll.

Edit2: Ignore the IESHIMS.dll bit above - apparently thats an optional import from one of the nested levels of DLLs.
No other dependencies were reported as missing by dependencywalker, so I'm guessing it's gonna be a dll version mismatch instead. I love windows sometimes. :roll:

Edit3: GOT IT WORKING! Yay :)
I had a 'brainwave' - I'd already installed the VCRedist 64bit version from the microsoft site, but I went back and downloaded/installed the vcredist_x86 as well. One reboot later, and FreePIE started :) For whatever reason, despite running Win7 64bit, it seems that the 64bit VCRedist exe doesn't have everything needed to run FreePIE. Just for anyone else that runs into this problem.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

logicalChimp wrote:
Edit2: Ignore the IESHIMS.dll bit above - apparently thats an optional import from one of the nested levels of DLLs.
No other dependencies were reported as missing by dependencywalker, so I'm guessing it's gonna be a dll version mismatch instead. I love windows sometimes. :roll:

Edit3: GOT IT WORKING! Yay :)
I had a 'brainwave' - I'd already installed the VCRedist 64bit version from the microsoft site, but I went back and downloaded/installed the vcredist_x86 as well. One reboot later, and FreePIE started :) For whatever reason, despite running Win7 64bit, it seems that the 64bit VCRedist exe doesn't have everything needed to run FreePIE. Just for anyone else that runs into this problem.
Nice you got it working! But... I'm a bit sad that this was the problem because the FreePIE installer should fix this :/
I will have to try to fix this again, I'll have to set up a fresh installed win7 on a Virtual machine etc, thanks for finding the problem.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Nice work with the VR screen script!

About the comfort problem you can do the same thing that I did to my T1

mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

CyberVillain wrote:About the comfort problem you can do the same thing that I did to my T1
If Sony had sold it like this, the reviews probably would have been much better. Are there any downsides to this design?
And do you have a description of the steps and parts you took to create this? I can buy a T1 for €400 .. and this way it might be worth it for me.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15110

Just be very cautious, protect the PCB with electric tape or something because I actually shortcutting my first T-1

one downside is that it gets a bit warm
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

Hi all

I have been checking out the meant to be seen forums since the zeiss cinemizer was first talked about on here but never posted before.

I'm trying to setup a mobile rift type device, i have a tablet, lenses, splashtop, 3d sbs injector and want to use freepie for emulating a mouse with the tablets gyro, my problem is probably very stupid on my part but i have no idea how to use freepie, i've downloaded the main directory and all of the file extensions are unrecognisable to me.

I've looked around for help files, manuals etc but can't find any, does anyone know to a website with step by step instructions or could anyone point me in the right direction for getting my setup to work.

Thanks for your help.

Mark
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

You have probably downloaded the source code :D

Download and install this package
https://github.com/downloads/AndersMalm ... .237.0.msi

You will have a FreePIE icon in the start menu after installation
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

Thanks CyberVillain, that was exactly the case, so i downloaded your link, installed etc, installed the apk on the root of my android device, put in my ip and port details on my phone, opened up FreePIE on my pc and now i'm at a loss, i guess i've got to open a python script but have no idea which one to go for so the 2 devices can talk.

Once i find the script do i have to copy it into my FreePIE directory on the pc? im guessing pylib?

Thanks again.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

You need some kind of script, you want android > mouse functionality?

In this script you need to holddown right mouse for the emulation to take
If you want to to take always change

Code: Select all

if (enabled and hotkey):
to

if (enabled):

#Use Z to toggle on/off and right mouse to activate head tracking 
            #(Good for games like Battlefield 3)
            def update():
               yaw = android.yaw
               pitch = android.pitch

deltaYaw = filters.delta(yaw)
               deltaPitch = filters.delta(pitch)   

if (enabled and hotkey):
                  mouse.deltaX = deltaYaw*multiply
                  mouse.deltaY = -deltaPitch*multiply

if starting:
               enabled = False
               multiply = 40
               android.update += update

hotkey = mouse.rightButton
            toggle = keyboard.getPressed(Key.Z)

if toggle:
               enabled = not enabled
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

Thanks cyber villain

I'll check that out as soon as I get home

Do I need to save the script as a .py file?

I'm sure I'll get stuck again but thanks for your help, I really appreciate it, should I put any further comments in the android section?

Cheers again.
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

Hi Cyber Villain, I've tried the code now but all i'm getting is an error saying "expected indented block"

I've attached a screenshot but do you know which block is supposed to be indented?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

Right have taken all of the if statements back to the start of each line and now it's getting furthur down the script but its saying "enabled is not defined" guess i need to put the definition at the top without an indent but don't know the code, any ideas?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Sorry about that, the script was cut and pasted from our sample page.

Strange, this script works for me

def update():
   yaw = android.yaw
   pitch = android.pitch

deltaYaw = filters.delta(yaw)
   deltaPitch = filters.delta(pitch)   

if enabled:
      mouse.deltaX = deltaYaw*multiply
      mouse.deltaY = -deltaPitch*multiply

if starting:
   enabled = False
   multiply = 400
   android.update += update

toggle = keyboard.getPressed(Key.Z)

if toggle:
   enabled = not enabled
edit: I also added it as a file for you to download
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

Thanks cyber villain, the file works without any errors, but now the script runs, i start the android apk on my tablet and nothing happens, i feel like i've missed a step or something. can you have a look over this when you get chance.

1. installed freepie on pc
2. installed apk on tablet
3. opened freepie on tablet
4. opened freepie and script on pc
5. set settings on tablet to my ip and port 5555
6. check setting on android plugin and that is port 5555
7. run script
8. tun on tablet app
9. press z to start on pc
10. pressed right mouse on pc.

No errors come up just seems like they are not communicating, when i press z the cursor goes to the top left of the screen and stays there, when i right click the mouse the only thing that happens is a drop down menu appears like normal when you right click the mouse. any ideas?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

shent1080 wrote:Thanks cyber villain, the file works without any errors, but now the script runs, i start the android apk on my tablet and nothing happens, i feel like i've missed a step or something. can you have a look over this when you get chance.

1. installed freepie on pc
2. installed apk on tablet
3. opened freepie on tablet
4. opened freepie and script on pc
5. set settings on tablet to my ip and port 5555
6. check setting on android plugin and that is port 5555
7. run script
8. tun on tablet app
9. press z to start on pc
10. pressed right mouse on pc.

No errors come up just seems like they are not communicating, when i press z the cursor goes to the top left of the screen and stays there, when i right click the mouse the only thing that happens is a drop down menu appears like normal when you right click the mouse. any ideas?
Do you have the Raw data checkbox checked? also try and see if you get any data from the Android plugin. diagnostics.watch(android.yaw)

also if you check the debug checkbox in the android app do you see values?
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

both the send orientation and raw data checkboxes are ticked, the dropdown is at normal (other choices are fastest, game, and ui), don't know what it does though.

Sometimes the cursor on my screen moves a little (although in the wrong direction) then goes to the top left corner, and sometimes it just goes straight to the top left corner.

sample debug data from tablet
this is how much they vary BY on a flat surface.

Accelerometer 0.19-0.26; 0.06-0.12; 9.98-10.07
gyro keeps refreshing but all figures stay at 0.00
magnometer 4.14-4.54; 9.92-10.25; 36.79-37.02
orientation these are all staying solid, no movement seem top be working ok
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

shent1080 wrote:both the send orientation and raw data checkboxes are ticked, the dropdown is at normal (other choices are fastest, game, and ui), don't know what it does though.

Sometimes the cursor on my screen moves a little (although in the wrong direction) then goes to the top left corner, and sometimes it just goes straight to the top left corner.

sample debug data from tablet
this is how much they vary BY on a flat surface.

Accelerometer 0.19-0.26; 0.06-0.12; 9.98-10.07
gyro keeps refreshing but all figures stay at 0.00
magnometer 4.14-4.54; 9.92-10.25; 36.79-37.02
orientation these are all staying solid, no movement seem top be working ok
ok any readings in freepie when doing diagnostics.watch?
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

i have the gui version so its just a watch tab, if you look at my screenshot above you'll see it at the bottom, or do you mean a watch script i need to load in or a plugin that i need to enable?

if you do mean the tab, then no there is no activity.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

shent1080 wrote:i have the gui version so its just a watch tab, if you look at my screenshot above you'll see it at the bottom, or do you mean a watch script i need to load in or a plugin that i need to enable?

if you do mean the tab, then no there is no activity.
Sorry was a bit unclear again,

replace your script with diagnostics.watch(android.yaw)

this should write the yaw value to your watch tab, please try that. If its zero check; Any firewalls etc? Double check that its your PC´s IP that you use on your tablet etc
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

Thanks cyber villain, anyone else on this forum would have probably understood what you meant.

Right, tried the code and in the watch window it is coming android.yaw NaN

this happens when both checkboxes are ticked and when send orientation is ticked, When send raw data is ticked only, freepie seems to be picking up the data.

I tried this because of what mahler said on the android topic.

Is it a bug?, can i change the code in the python script from android.yaw to android.googleyaw?

Thanks again
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Yeah, sounds like a bug, will have a look at it when I get back home. Tried the mouse script with only data raw ticked?
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

I've changed android.yaw etc in the script to android.googleYaw and now i can move the cursor from left to right, don't know about getting the other axis to work though is this a solution or will it limit the quantity of sensors that i can use.
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

Sorry didn't see your post, yes the mouse script didn't work but when i changed android.yaw to google.yaw i could move my cursor from left to right.
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

Forgot to say, saw this on ebay and thought you might be interested, seems like a cheap knock off of the razer imu, could this be used with freepie? would it be accurate? or would something like kinect or trackir be better for a wireless hmd?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271017401460? ... 1423.l2649

doesn't say that it is AHRS complient, don't know if that would be an issue or not.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Hmm, you need to find a fusion software that works with those sensors, the names are presented in the item description, check if the FreeIMU library supports those sensors, then you can load that software onto the board and use the FreeIMU Plugin in FreePIE
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

Thanks Cyber Villain, i'll check it out.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

New version!
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

H guys

just down loaded the new version as I have a homebrew hackulus on the go and wanted to add head tracking support.

I have an old Vuzix with head tracking which I thought would cobble into my project.

I can see the plugin VuzixTrackerPlugin.cs on line but it is does not seem to be in the distributable.

Not being a hard coder I am assuming that I have to down load the source and find/buy a compiler if I want to use that plug in?

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

By the way my simple hackulus is based on a Nexus 7 using the Splashtop HD streamer.

Loving your work

Cheers UB
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Hi!
You need to download the Installer, or compile the source. But its probably easier just downloading the installer if you wont contribute to the project. Once you have installed FreePIE fire it up and you should be able to access it from the scripts using vuzix.yaw etc.

Look at the first page of this thread for link to latest version
Unclebob wrote:H guys

just down loaded the new version as I have a homebrew hackulus on the go and wanted to add head tracking support.

I have an old Vuzix with head tracking which I thought would cobble into my project.

I can see the plugin VuzixTrackerPlugin.cs on line but it is does not seem to be in the distributable.

Not being a hard coder I am assuming that I have to down load the source and find/buy a compiler if I want to use that plug in?

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

By the way my simple hackulus is based on a Nexus 7 using the Splashtop HD streamer.

Loving your work

Cheers UB
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

Thanks Cyber

Ok gone back to using the nexus 7 instead of the vuzix.

The standard mouse script seems to 'confuse' the sensor readings.

Move left and it also moves up
Move down and it moves right

etc

Can someone point me in the direction of what variable to play with in the script and I will try and get one working and post here.

Its quite compelling the mix of splashtop and freepie as a quick and dirty DIY solution.

Thanks guys

UB
UB

shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

Hi, i had similar problems when i was testing with an android device, you need to play around with the .yaw entries as cyber said, where it would say android.yaw, change it to google.yaw if you are just using the nexus now, this will take out the magnometer which is what i think is making your positioning respond in the wrong way, also mess around with checking and unchecking of the raw data etc on your nexus, although, i think cyber has fixed the problems that i was having with this. you can also play around with x=google.yaw etc and change yaw to pitch etc.

Cyber
Just a quick question, can i connect multiple imu's at the same time to freepie and have them work like the hydra for instance? looking into control scenarios for when the rift comes.

Thanks
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

shent1080 wrote:Just a quick question, can i connect multiple imu's at the same time to freepie and have them work like the hydra for instance? looking into control scenarios for when the rift comes.
You can use multiple IMU's but that won't give you the capabilities of a Hydra. You can only track direction with multiple IMUs. For example - one sensor on your head and one sensor on your hand/gun for independent hand and head direction. But for true positional tracking (x,y,z) you will actually need to use the Hydra - which is also supported by FreePIE.
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

But the 9dof imu's like the razerimu will given you positional tracking won't they?

Accel, gyro, magno.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

shent1080 wrote:But the 9dof imu's like the razerimu will given you positional tracking won't they?

Accel, gyro, magno.
No, that 9 DOF nonsense is marketing-speak for "9 sensors". In practice, these 9-sensor packages really only accurately track 3 DOF. And then they can "sense" movement in the x,y,z but not in a useful way for position tracking. Only for stuff like shake detection.
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

ok so they can track 1 position relative to another but not full positioning data with full co-ordinates of your true position on earth.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

shent1080 wrote:ok so they can track 1 position relative to another but not full positioning data with full co-ordinates of your true position on earth.
They can each independently track their orientation (yaw, pitch, roll) so for example each sensor will know if its pointing north or at a 45 degree pitch, and you can subtract the two sensors to determine the relative angles between them. But neither sensor will know its position (x,y,z) like whether it's 1 meter off the ground, or whether it just moved 2 inches to the left, or anything related to x,y,z position. You need to use optical (TrackIR, FreeTrack) or the Hydra to track positional data.
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

ok thanks brantlew, guess i'm getting a hydra then, if they ever come back into stock.
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

shent1080 wrote:Hi, i had similar problems when i was testing with an android device, you need to play around with the .yaw entries as cyber said, where it would say android.yaw, change it to google.yaw if you are just using the nexus now, this will take out the magnometer which is what i think is making your positioning respond in the wrong way, also mess around with checking and unchecking of the raw data etc on your nexus, although, i think cyber has fixed the problems that i was having with this. you can also play around with x=google.yaw etc and change yaw to pitch etc.

Cyber
Just a quick question, can i connect multiple imu's at the same time to freepie and have them work like the hydra for instance? looking into control scenarios for when the rift comes.

Thanks
Doesn't work for me just get a juddery mouse in the corner of the screen. Annoying as no obvious solution.

Thank you anyway

UB
UB

CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Unclebob wrote:
shent1080 wrote:Hi, i had similar problems when i was testing with an android device, you need to play around with the .yaw entries as cyber said, where it would say android.yaw, change it to google.yaw if you are just using the nexus now, this will take out the magnometer which is what i think is making your positioning respond in the wrong way, also mess around with checking and unchecking of the raw data etc on your nexus, although, i think cyber has fixed the problems that i was having with this. you can also play around with x=google.yaw etc and change yaw to pitch etc.

Cyber

Thanks
Doesn't work for me just get a juddery mouse in the corner of the screen. Annoying as no obvious solution.

Thank you anyway

UB
I would start by holding the tablet so that the screen faces the roof, when faced like this yaw is actually aligned with the magnetic north and thats how the magnometer needs to be positioned for a reliable yaw reading. Is it still only sitting in the cornor? What script are you using? Play around with the multiplier setting in the script. android.yaw uses the magnometer so you wont get good reading out of that fusion when holding the tablet like a HMD.

googleYaw uses the built in fusion which does not use the magnometer and that might work better when tilting the device like you would when using the screen as a HMD.

Return to “FreePIE”