RifTUP! FullHD Oculus DK1 upgrade kit

Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: RifTUP! FullHD Oculus DK1 upgrade kit

Post by Fredz »

mr.uu wrote:Btw, white (backlight strobing) mode is fully working (albeit not very useful). I simply mixed up the button sequence to press... :oops:
Great news ! Can you share your impressions about this ? How much is the motion blur reduced ? Does it leave an afterghost image ?
vittorio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by vittorio »

rozsnyo wrote: ...
The is the tech stuff. My colleague will rework the boards and you get a trouble free kit - I hope it is worth the few days of delay and I feel relief by knowing not just the cause of the issue, but having a solution for it. We'll be shipping daily in next week as the boards get fixed.
Great news! Do we get emails with tracking infos when sent? I'm again feeling like a child can't await its christmas present ;)
vittorio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by vittorio »

BTW, a big THANK YOU to mr.uu who paid ~€250 extra to get it's kit earlier with the result to keep us informed and even help (by driving to prague) us to get a much more problem free solution! You hopefully got some major price reduction otherwise the world wouldn't be fair!
mr.uu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mr.uu »

Fredz wrote:
mr.uu wrote:Btw, white (backlight strobing) mode is fully working (albeit not very useful). I simply mixed up the button sequence to press... :oops:
Great news ! Can you share your impressions about this ? How much is the motion blur reduced ? Does it leave an afterghost image ?
I did not have any time to test it in any way. Daniel just showed me how to activate the mode properly. To my defense i can state that the bluish plastic led cover of the controllerbox does mix with the color of the led which results in a noticeable color shift which then i did read wrong. So white results in yellowish and orange (at least for me) is more whiteish... :roll:
As you can imagine, my and our first priority was to get rid of the signalling problems.
As already stated before, the led backlight is situated on one of the short sides of this specific screen, 90deg off the scanline. This supposedly makes it difficult to benefit from this driver board feature...

As soon as i am home and have some time for testing i will be able to find out if and how much it improves the motion blur.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

vittorio wrote:BTW, a big THANK YOU to mr.uu who paid ~€250 extra to get it's kit earlier with the result to keep us informed and even help (by driving to prague) us to get a much more problem free solution! You hopefully got some major price reduction otherwise the world wouldn't be fair!
Thanks vittorio. Realisticly spoken, the world is rarely fair - I expect it to be the price for early adopting, commitment to this community AND to be one of a few who can experience it FIRST 8-) .
BUT maybe i am wrong on that and destiny suprises me well :?:
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

I am back at home and did some quick testing.
Display is absolutely stable.
Daniel and Karel gave me a second kit FOR FREE for my efforts! Thank you guys!
I will further try to test as much as i possibly can - especially racing and VorpX games...

Good night!
vittorio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by vittorio »

Great to hear! At least this little part of the world is fair! :D
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

Saw the recent update concerning the changes being made to the connectors to solve the display problems. I am happy they figured this issue out. I am a bit concerned that they recognized that there are different vesions of the DK1 cables as the cause of the issue. What if my cables are not the ones that caused the problems? My DK1's are numbered very early in the production (97 & 98). Mr. uu, do you remember where in line your DK1's were? I asked similar questions on the RiftUp indiegogo comments section, so no need to answer twice, but I thought getting an idea of where in line each of us RiftUp backers are (regarding our DK1s) might be useful. How many cable versions might there be? Hate to see them send me a "fixed" board, that ended up causing even more problems, due to my cable version.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Man thats tiny soldering. Someone is going to have google eyes and a crook neck by the end of the week.
Hope thst assistant get paid well.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Werner UU will be able to do dual head displays . That will be very innovative.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

lnrrgb wrote:Saw the recent update concerning the changes being made to the connectors to solve the display problems. I am happy they figured this issue out. I am a bit concerned that they recognized that there are different vesions of the DK1 cables as the cause of the issue. What if my cables are not the ones that caused the problems? My DK1's are numbered very early in the production (97 & 98). Mr. uu, do you remember where in line your DK1's were? I asked similar questions on the RiftUp indiegogo comments section, so no need to answer twice, but I thought getting an idea of where in line each of us RiftUp backers are (regarding our DK1s) might be useful. How many cable versions might there be? Hate to see them send me a "fixed" board, that ended up causing even more problems, due to my cable version.
My first order # was 055158, which i think is number 158.
Relax, it seems the cabling issue is completely solved.
cgp44 wrote:Werner UU will be able to do dual head displays . That will be very innovative.
Well, i did think about it, too... :twisted:
But the experimenting for now is over - at least for me. I need the second one for showing a couple of people, and i would like to use my spare time for testing old and new experiences.
Btw. "UU" speak "double U" is "W"! Got it? So Werner UU makes no sense ;)
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

"My first order # was 055158, which i think is number 158."

...or 5158

My point was that they seem to have back engineered the DK1 they had access to, built their boards and such to those specs, thinking all DK1's were the same, then found out there were changes made to the DK, somewhere along the line, from examining the troubles you had. Well, fine and dandy, everything is fixed, as long as my DK's are just like yours. My Dk's came hand numbered with a felt tip pen, on the out side shipping box. I will look for some # in the ###### range when I get home. Just how many different cables could there be? Will the fix for your unit, be the end all fix for all possible cable variations? Just asking, not really worried.
Digitalzombie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Digitalzombie »

lnrrgb wrote:Will the fix for your unit, be the end all fix for all possible cable variations? Just asking, not really worried.
If I understood this correctly, the other cables should not be a problem.
The pinout is the same, but twisting and shielding are just different. With the additional resistors on board and the code rework the signal is just more stable and more resistant against interferences on the line.

People with already functioning cables won't notice any difference, maybe just "more stable".

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

P.S.: long time lurker and RiftUp!-buyer here :) First post, yaaaay ... Greetings from Germany!
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

lnrrgb wrote:"My first order # was 055158, which i think is number 158."

...or 5158

My point was that they seem to have back engineered the DK1 they had access to, built their boards and such to those specs, thinking all DK1's were the same, then found out there were changes made to the DK, somewhere along the line, from examining the troubles you had. Well, fine and dandy, everything is fixed, as long as my DK's are just like yours. My Dk's came hand numbered with a felt tip pen, on the out side shipping box. I will look for some # in the ###### range when I get home. Just how many different cables could there be? Will the fix for your unit, be the end all fix for all possible cable variations? Just asking, not really worried.
I was very early AFTER the Kickstarter (begin Sept. 2012). So i am pretty certain it is not 5158 but 158.
As far as i know they sold roughly 10k units via Kickstarter.
Digitalzombie wrote:
lnrrgb wrote:Will the fix for your unit, be the end all fix for all possible cable variations? Just asking, not really worried.
If I understood this correctly, the other cables should not be a problem.
The pinout is the same, but twisting and shielding are just different. With the additional resistors on board and the code rework the signal is just more stable and more resistant against interferences on the line.

People with already functioning cables won't notice any difference, maybe just "more stable".

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

P.S.: long time lurker and RiftUp!-buyer here :) First post, yaaaay ... Greetings from Germany!
Agree 100%
taterdan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by taterdan »

mr.uu wrote:Well, i tried yesterday with a couple of experiences (see above).
It did tell me patch successful, but there was no noticable difference - at least for me...

So it surprisingly did not what it says it does, a correction to attain a perfect distortion for the RiftUP screen - yet.
Maybe if i test more i find demos where it works...
I've been thinking about why the patching might not have seemed to do anything. I took a quick look at the HMD-SDK-Opener source code and the SDK source (version 0.2.5), and I'm curious -- mr.uu, did you change the unit to send the EDID as "OVR0002" when testing the patched applications, as rozsnyo described in an earlier post? The SDK source makes me think the patch might not work right if it's sending "RZS0002". I'm looking forward to experimenting with it myself soon. :D Thanks again to you and rozsnyo for fixing the cabling issue!
rozsnyo wrote: The unit will present itself with RZS0002 (default) or OVR0002 (Oculus HD prototype) EDID VID and PID. To switch between these, the following combinations are used:

[1+3+4] PWR + BRDN + CNUP = switch to RZS0002 (magenta)
[1+3+5] PWR + BRDN + CNDN = switch to OVR0002 (cyan)

After transition to different EDID VID/PID, you have to unplug the signal cable from the unit or PC, wait few seconds and replug it.
Bloump
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bloump »

Guys.. this is getting ridicolous............ would the rift up guys answer to some post with DIRECT answer and private mail with direct answer on what the heck is going on?
June is about to start, and we don't have a freaking clue about shipping or any info AT ALL.. i don't know if you are aware, but dk2 is coming on july making my 300$ spent 2 months ago completely useless...
Would you be so kind to tell us if the kit is coming or not and when? We had a project who got completely screwed up beacuse of this delay, i know it's all my problem, but if you told me in april, that it will probably come in june i'd have asked for a complete refund... As i said, i understand all the problems and delays that can comes up randomly, but would u be so KIND to JUST (PLEASE!!) SAY IT?
THANKS.
ANSWER TO PRIVATE MAILS, PEOPLE SPENT MONEY.
P.s. No passive aggressive here, just legitimately mad for no communication at all.
ido
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ido »

Yeah, pretty frustrating communication issues for me as well. I actually did ask about a refund shortly after new information was released about a lower FOV, etc.

At this point, I may request(again) another refund or have someone else purchase my kit from here if they refuse. July is inching closer, and I feel all of my attention will be on DK2 by then.
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

@bloump - we are still installing the missing resistors. Mistakes do happen and we rather fix it when we know about the bug - than ship the units and say twist more, twist more. Not that it would not help, but that would be unprofessional.

Regarding project dependencies - if you have a really important project, do you really want to depend on availability of FUTURE consumer product? Look at the 2/3" cameras from RED - renders, prototypes, promo shots, low price... BAM! project cancelled, references deleted, item will never be available. In that case, your approach should be completely different. Or you are trying to do something without proper budget. No aggression, just judging where we stand at.

For others: we have managed to get one unit to SVVR, with very good responses coming back:

"I had people telling me that they just tried the DK2 and after trying the riftUP kit they were disappointing in the DK2 screen!"

"... from Oculus checked it out and said that it had a wider FOV than the rift HD and was real impressed. " (here I think we have used slightly better lenses, Karel got them from a magnifier or what)

Crossed fingers for Monday (hoping to finish all paperwork during the weekend... 7 sheets per package)
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

@bloump, tough luck regarding your project. You should have allowed for such
delays. These delays are usual. Rozsnyo has done hard work so don't grizzle.
As well he is the only player in town.
His estimate about putting tiny resistors on the board was a bit off, such is pressure
for delivery. But we are all reassured that Rozsnyo is an honest player and not the
indiegogo nogo scampaigns out there.

But with RiftUp! you will have a backup to the DK2 if and when it comes.
By IF I am curious about oculus getting hold of thousands of samsung displays.
Given the rumours about Samsung getting involved I would not put it past them to
hold up any such main source suppliers (for the replacement 100% markup merchants)
deliveries to potential competitors.
Why is there so few coves out there in the sdk team even?

So with RiftUP! and DK2 we can compare the merits of persistent dislay on fHD resolutions
and the penTile setup.
vittorio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by vittorio »

@bloump - I fully agree to rozsnyo. How can you depend a project (or even business?) on a crowd funded project? I'm working for decades in the embedded hardware/software market, it is very usual that problems occur after the prototype phase and rozsnyo is handling them in the professional way. Not ignoring them but solving them (even by working on weekends).
ripcurl123
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ripcurl123 »

@bloump I agree with the two post above this is a bespoke product,and where others spoke about it said they had a prototype blah de blah de blah nothing happened ,rozsnyo picked up the torch and ran with it like he said he would do, the dk1 had at least 6 months delay the dk2 may be delayed who knows? unfortunately that is the price of this technology he dosent chat about things he does them.

Ripcurl..
Bloump
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bloump »

Guys, as i said, i'm agree with all of you, and i completely understand every delay,problems, and suddenly changes that may occur anyday,anytime,
it happens a lot to me as well, about the project, i didn't rely on a crowdfunded project, i know that Rosznyo worked really hard for this, and probably
the dk2 will look a little worse than this.. BUT, my whole concern and frustration is all based on the extremely lack of communication,
if every 3-4-5 days they just sayed, "We're working hard on this" "One\two week delay but everything's fine" "we're not disappeared" and, most of all,
answers from private mails.. i wouldn't even bother writing, just waiting peacefully..
That's it :roll:
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

I did not have much time last week, but could test yesterday evening for two hours.

Ciess is simple and fun, so i played >1h and after that i realised that the RiftUP! heats up the display part of the Rift.
Nothing to worry, just cosy warm, but just want to mention that difference to the Rift.

SightLine was great, also many other experiences i downloaded from Oculus Share.

Btw.: Anybody knows how to get TimeRifter work on the secondary screen? And how to change the resolution to FHD?
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

We have a milestone - all units tested working, scanned in all serial numbers and allocated them to Indiegogo supporters and few those who bought before/after. The manufactured unit count matches exactly the customer count.. so that is tight.

Bad new is that frames arrived without cut corners... I'll talk to Karel if we shall cut it here or leave it to you... the cable is quite tolerant now - with the resistor mod, so the start of the cable can be left unshielded and easier to bend.
vittorio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by vittorio »

Great to hear all units tested working!

What does "without cut corners" mean? - The R10 probably for the cable to get through is missing? - I personally wouldn't mind to have some minor dremel action and do it by myself if the kit gets shipped earlier by that. Shipping tomorrow so it arrives on wednesday (thursday is a holiday here) would be awesome!
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

Handy with a dremel myself as well, if we are voting.
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

My vote is that the kits are supplied as described.. ie a simple drop in replacement :)
ripcurl123
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ripcurl123 »

ill have mine as it is if we are voting ...

Ripcurl
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

I vote keep it easy drop in. The dremel cutting should be trivial for Rozsnyo's
humble assistant.

Hey Rozsnyo, are you a betting man? Perhaps you should think about the
opportunity that will arise if there is some problem with DK2 delivery.
Specifically on my mind is the possibility that Samsung will block Oculus
delivery of thousands of display units.

That offers the prospect of 0.1 per cent market penetration going
to maybe 1 percent??
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

Hi,

I don't know what you mean about not cutting the corners off the casing.

Usually a simple fix for cable access is to drill a hole and use a grommet in the casing.

Problem solved ....

Thanks.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

I.m.h.o no need for the cut corner anymore.
It did ease the installation because the cabe inside the housing was too stiff after shielding and insulation. Shielding (if any necessary) can be done now after the first two cm from the entry in the Rift housing, to bend the cable easier when putting all together.

Daniel, send them out asap. ;)
Last edited by mr.uu on Tue May 27, 2014 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Mr.uu how did that pulse stuff work out in the end?
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

Send, send, send ! Please :)
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

cgp44 wrote:Mr.uu how did that pulse stuff work out in the end?
I did not try so far. Honestly spoken it is not high priority for me. Display is so much better, smearing (motion blur) much less. Aktually, because i did have AA off to improve framerate, i on purpose looked waving left right to improve the details of the object and to AA it by moving (i call it "moving AA", lol). It is fascinating how our visual system works...

Very likely that someone else will try first...

Btw, Daniel, Karel, do not forget to send me the missing second frame. Thank you guys!
I still think that Oculus would do the community a big favor if they would spread the word about this upgrade. It is definately worth it, despite the DK2. It makes the DK1 so much better IF you can afford it...

One annoying thing needs to be fixed: being able to run in lower resolution. At least 1280x720. Probably possible with a manual generated proper monitor.inf? Anyone has experience with it? I think if one could add the 1280x720 to the systems resolution dialog (selectable in Windows or in many games) instead of 720x1280, this could do the trick...
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

I just received the FedEx shipping notification this morning. Thanks, guys. :D

Just to confirm - what exactly was meant by "not cutting the corner"?
I'm guessing that the panel holder plastic normally has some small cutting to allow the cable through easier?

I also don't mind a bit of modification, I don't think it's a deal breaker.
Sounds like the impedance matching and shielding is sorted now though, which is great.

I agree about Oculus putting the word out for the RiftUP! kit too.

I honestly don't think it will affect sales of the DK2 tbh (like me, most people who wanted a DK2 would have ordered one by now anyway).
I can understand them not wanting / needing to promote a third-party product though, even if it is an upgrade to their own.

Can't wait to try this out.
I'm hoping it will help somewhat with the slight motion sickness I get too, as it will be much easier to resolve details etc.

OzOnE.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

OzOne is alive!
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

cgp44 wrote:OzOne is alive!
lol

Yeah, I've been taking a bit of a timeout for a while, messing with my new Cyclone V GX Starter Kit, and fixing retro computers etc.

This is a bit OT, but I did do some more experiments with reversing the joystick protocol on the Razer Hydra too.
I also noticed something very interesting on the board - it looks like there is a place for a transistor which could drive a rumble motor!

I don't think it would have been used for much else, 'cos it has a place for a back-EMF protection diode across the "motor" pins.
This probably isn't supported in the Hydra software now, but it's interesting anyway.

The baud rate between the base unit and the joystick board is definitely 125,000 Baud.
I did try hooking up the Arduino to "spoof" the joystick board, but couldn't get it to work for some reason.

Anyway, I've been patiently awaiting the RiftUP! Kit, but now getting re-motivated to try some VR projects. ;)

OzOnE.
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

Got my shipping notification too. I was last, or next to last, of the early bird tier. (not that it matters, just thought I'd toss it out there)
WhoIsRich
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WhoIsRich »

Woohoo, says mine is due to arrive sometime tomorrow, thanks Rozsnyo for all your hard work :)
vittorio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by vittorio »

Got shipping notification too, planed arrival tomorrow. :D Thanks Rozsnyo!

Return to “Oculus VR”