RifTUP! FullHD Oculus DK1 upgrade kit

RaNk
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: RifTUP! FullHD Oculus DK1 upgrade kit

Post by RaNk »

Its a bit of a poor show atm. Hopefully it will improve. I am not however filled with confidence.
DrBeef
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by DrBeef »

I have to agree that the lack of communication is a bit disappointing. I am also rather surprised we've heard nothing from any other backers who've (presumably) received their RiftUp!'s other than mr.uu, to whom I am grateful that he's been so happy to share his experiences, even if it wasn't an entirely positive one.

I can only assume that other RiftUp! backers have got their "Now" kits and haven't had too many issues.. but there's no evidence to corroborate this. I would love to see someone write a post to say they have managed to successfully integrate the RiftUp! into their DK1 that doesn't include the words shielding problems, soldering, crimping or "ferrite chokes".

Also, an update on the indiegogo campaign page regarding expected shipping would be appreciated, there's disconcerting radio silence on all fronts at the moment.
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

What I have heard from others receiving the NOW kits was 1) question of software support. I assume they have not met any hardware issues, 2) issue of frame centering. So I am doing the frame redesign myself, the two mechanical engineers failed to match two active-area rectangles, so I am curious where is the issue... maybe the specs of old/new screen are wrong? I have seen problematic datasheets, but I would not expect it to fail in mechanical drawing section :/ As this mechanics/plastic is not my area of interest (I do electronics) it takes little more time.

What would help is to get a new place where we can do machining in very short time (e.g. this week, from 3mm thick black material). Any ideas? Europe preferred.
cgp44
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by cgp44 »

Could there be an option of making the frame yourself?
I could easily make it out of cardboard reinforced with glued paper strips.
Just send a diagram with dimensions etc.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

deleted
Last edited by cgp44 on Tue May 13, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Probably the reason for radio silence is this blogg is little/not known.
It's traffic is dissapointingly thin. Hopefully with rozsnyo boards out in the wild it can pick up again.
Drat the mipi mystery spec.
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

@cgp44 - yes, I am thinking to do that too. Anybody who want to receive the board now and the frame later? At least we get some response from others, regarding the cable twisting...

The most recent frame design is attached - one layer of this DWG file contains a 3D solid object ( http://riftup.rozsnyo.com/download/Rift ... by-RDa.dwg ).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FatMcNasty
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by FatMcNasty »

rozsnyo, I have 3d printer any issue with printing the frame out? If not I can take mine now and ship the frame later.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Rozsnyo, I think the reason for software queries was due to Karel not mentioning where he
posted the opener.

Can you put that dwg file as an attached pdf? What can open the dwg file?
Or if not possible could you put up a higher resolution image so we can read the
dimensions on image zoom-up.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Rozsnyo, could you please reconsider in future board revision the shorting
situation. Just have clear instructions of possible outcomes if these boards/displays
are mixed up.
Don't burn the barn down!
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

I am really curious about the centering issue. As i said i do not feel any problem here. I am back from work and hopefully can test more today...

Daniel, the cut out of the frame looks good. Had you time to send a second kit to me? Because even if i somehow i bring mine to work flawless (no ghosting or dots) the backlight pulsing mode still does nothing.
Btw, any measurement you want me to do? I see some connectors for testing on the board. I do even have a digital oscilloscope laying around (i did use it once, many years ago), maybe it is now time to use it again?
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

@cgp44 - the DWG is a CAD file - you can open it with AutoCAD or free alternatives. I have made some fixes, as well a 2D drawing - is that enough clear (especially the depths) to make it yourself?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

FINALLY! I have found a company who can deliver 30-40 frames this week and the rest next week - after their confirmation I am going to post a campaign update. Packaging boxes are also on the way here, so we are on a good way to finish up in a week.
ripcurl123
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ripcurl123 »

I for one dont mind receiveing kit without frame..
Im pretty sure I can work it out

Ripcurl
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

I can wait. It will save rozsnyo a lot not fedxing twice.
shavster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by shavster »

rozsnyo wrote:FINALLY! I have found a company who can deliver 30-40 frames this week and the rest next week - after their confirmation I am going to post a campaign update. Packaging boxes are also on the way here, so we are on a good way to finish up in a week.
Don't forget the pre-campaign backers ;-)

Cheers - Nick
Bloump
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bloump »

Can we P-L-E-A-S-E have some dates on when we can receive our kits? Can P-L-E-A-S-E one of you answer to private indiegogo contact mail to some guys who spent 300 dollars 2 months ago and received no ANSWER at all? i understand you may be busy and do your best, but WE DON'T KNOW IT, on this side we are just waiting for some post in some thread in some forum who has been mentioned on indiegogo a week ago. Just tell us that i'll get them the next month so at least we know. i'm personally trying to put a project togheter and this EXTREMELY lack of information is so bad.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Rozsnyo, that frame and diagram looks fantastic. I hope you have better luck with your third machinist.
I will try to make the frame out of cardboard, but please do send me a frame with the kit when
it is finally to your satisfaction and not before. Do resist the calls for definite shipment dates.
This is product manfacturing getting right time.

Could the dwg be available to any 3d printing expert in the audience who could convert it to a
3d printing job. Probably just as an alternative make it yourself.

Can you give the inside rectangular hole dimensions- height, width, vert offset, horiz offset.
That 5mm offset around the frame, is it a recess (cut into) or a lip?
brandonrobo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by brandonrobo »

I'm not sure what the order of kits shipping out is, but I was the second early bird backer and have yet to receive mine. I'm sure they're cranking away as fast as they can and I'm staying patient, but it is odd when there isn't any responses even when emailed through the indiegogo campaign.
FatMcNasty
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by FatMcNasty »

Ok popped it into Autocad, exported to STL. Then checked in Netfabb. Just drop it into your 3D printer software of choice. You will have to use some form of support in the software. Since there is a recessed edge on the under side. Hope I dont step on any toes by doing this.. If so let me know and ill Delete it. :D
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

Today we did some testing with Karel, who also posted an update for Indiegogo - with the boxes being stacked at my place. The 2nd kit we have modified does not show any ghosting or noise artefacts. I did a 2sec exposure to catch any flying noise pixels, but there were absolutely none of them! And that is being made with a 5m DP to HDMI cable.

@mr.uu will receive a second set of boards, due to impossibility to switch on the strobo mode, so lets see what will be his results.

Others will be able to report their experiences very soon and I hope for a positive confirmation this time.
vittorio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by vittorio »

woot - I've counted 100 RiftUP! boxes in the update photo :o

are there really that many RiftUP's shipping now?
play2lose
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by play2lose »

Plot twist....only 5 of those boxes have RiftUp's in them! :(
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

90 riftUp!s is approx. 0.1 per cent market penetration.
Heaps more selling potential. These bloggs are saturated
w.r.t. market, so rozsnyo will have to look elsewhere.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

measuring the hole in the frame off the diagram

width 114.5, height 66.3, left offset (to edge) 24, right offset 22.5,
top offset 17.4, bottom offset 23.3.

Ive easily made a frame out of paper/cardboard 160 g/m*m.
It not quite card, but does not warp/expand as bad as usual
paper and is cheaper. Several layers for the front part and the
back part.
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

I just got my shipping notification from Karel and I wasn't in the early bird tier and was probably a fairly late arrival to the standard tier, so I would say a few more than 5 of those boxes pictured above contain RiftUp!s.

I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives.. wish me luck!
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

Early bird, and just got the same confirmation.
ido
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ido »

My email says,

"Your RiftUP is shipping soon"

Same for you guys as well?
FR3D
Cross Eyed!

Post by FR3D »

"Your RiftUP is shipping soon"

Here too ... :D
best regards FR3D
play2lose
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by play2lose »

I think I was in like the first 5 AFTER the early bird (just missed out :x ) and I got the email this morning too :)
RaNk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RaNk »

Got mail! \0/
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

I wish you all luck!
It is very plausable that one of my boards has an issue because of the none working "white" (=strobing backlight) not working at all. Despite that i do still have some colored dots flashing, but only noticeable on dark scenes. Nevertheless i am soon trying again to get rid of the dots completely - i keep you updated ;).

I want to read your results, too - as soon as possible - here!
play2lose
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by play2lose »

mr.uu wrote:I wish you all luck!
It is very plausable that one of my boards has an issue because of the none working "white" (=strobing backlight) not working at all. Despite that i do still have some colored dots flashing, but only noticeable on dark scenes. Nevertheless i am soon trying again to get rid of the dots completely - i keep you updated ;).

I want to read your results, too - as soon as possible - here!
mr.uu I've seen a lot of your posts about your time with the RiftUp and the problems, but what about a good post about how the difference is? Aside from the problems you've had, how is it going from the DK1 to the RiftUp screen? Is it a huge noticeable difference? How comfortable is reading text in games now? Looking forward to a reply! Thanks 8-)
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

i did already here->http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 60#p151162 state positive comments, too ;)
But in a nutshell:
I just did test through the virtual.io hub a few games like Titans of Space, Lorryrider, Ciess, ZeldaVR.
Readability has greatly improved. Everything reads fine.
Pixelation is still there, but starts further away.
So the world looks much more believable, textures have much more detail.
The Screen has greatly improved specs (blacks, brightness, contrast) and likely switching time because the motion blur is much less noticeable.
In my opinion it is a DK1.5, so i personally weight the improvement of a low persistant display plus additional 3 deg of freedom motion tracking about the same as from RiftUP! to a DK2. But definately i will know if i have my DK2 at hand ;).

It simply makes EVERY experience much more enjoyful and believable.

This all comes with a little unconvinience in display configuration (necessary rotation) if you run multiple screens. And the Need for more GFX power to run all in 1080p (my kit does not allow me to run any lower resolution, likely due to a board issue).

If you get goosebumps when rifting and can afford it, go for it.
lealjay
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lealjay »

Mr.uu does the HMD Opener allows good distortion on your RiftUP kit ?
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

Well, i tried yesterday with a couple of experiences (see above).
It did tell me patch successful, but there was no noticable difference - at least for me...

So it surprisingly did not what it says it does, a correction to attain a perfect distortion for the RiftUP screen - yet.
Maybe if i test more i find demos where it works...
play2lose
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by play2lose »

mr.uu wrote:i did already here->http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 60#p151162 state positive comments, too ;)
But in a nutshell:
I just did test through the virtual.io hub a few games like Titans of Space, Lorryrider, Ciess, ZeldaVR.
Readability has greatly improved. Everything reads fine.
Pixelation is still there, but starts further away.
So the world looks much more believable, textures have much more detail.
The Screen has greatly improved specs (blacks, brightness, contrast) and likely switching time because the motion blur is much less noticeable.
In my opinion it is a DK1.5, so i personally weight the improvement of a low persistant display plus additional 3 deg of freedom motion tracking about the same as from RiftUP! to a DK2. But definately i will know if i have my DK2 at hand ;).

It simply makes EVERY experience much more enjoyful and believable.

This all comes with a little unconvinience in display configuration (necessary rotation) if you run multiple screens. And the Need for more GFX power to run all in 1080p (my kit does not allow me to run any lower resolution, likely due to a board issue).

If you get goosebumps when rifting and can afford it, go for it.
Thanks! I'm excited now, can't wait for mine to arrive.

Any update on shipping rozsnyo? We got that email the other day, but have they actually gone out yet? Getting very anxious here :D
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

Spent half of today with Daniel and Karel at Daniels place in Prag.
We are close to a proper solution to my problem, doing final checks tomorrow.

They do all they can to deliver a rock solid working FHD upgrade and release it asap.

I am glad that they share the enthusiasm of us early in VR and i am curious about what future ideas they will develop after bringing us the RiftUP kit.

Hopefully they are somehow supported by Oculus. It would be a shame of the community to not support their efforts.

Btw, white (backlight strobing) mode is fully working (albeit not very useful). I simply mixed up the button sequence to press... :oops:
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

So, thanks to @mr.uu for coming to Prague, we have resolved issues which we were not aware of as they appeared only under certain conditions (colour patterns which stressed the transmission path).

The slew-rate of the DVI/HDMI switch was too aggressive, which in turn made lot of high-freq components and interference between the lines and that resulted in the above described ghosting (lot of interference) or colour dots (occasional interference). The corrupted line shows the dot, in case of corrupting the sync signal, the ghosting appears. We have made changes in firmware, to configure the slew-rate to slowest mode, which helped to some extent, but requires very precise cable rework. So we looked to hardware options - reducing swing is no-go, the signal is not received well. Adding a second equalizer/switch chip to the top board was sometimes working sometimes not. The solution which did work, was putting series resistors in the high-speed signal paths on the bottom board (controller box board). This needs de-soldering the connector, cutting 6 legs, soldering it back and installing the 6 series resistors. And then... all is stable and no dots. Plus the cable is quite tolerant, so slight twisting the whole harness and covering by shielding material is enough.

The is the tech stuff. My colleague will rework the boards and you get a trouble free kit - I hope it is worth the few days of delay and I feel relief by knowing not just the cause of the issue, but having a solution for it. We'll be shipping daily in next week as the boards get fixed.

Return to “Oculus VR”