Minecrift Discussion Thread

StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Minecrift Discussion Thread

Post by StellaArtois »

mabrowning wrote:On a different note, I'm in communication with the author of GSound; considering adding in support as an optional 3D audio implementation in minecraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buU8gPG2cHI

You can actually download a demo and try it for yourself here! We can simplify quite a bit of the math for Minecraft since the geometry is entirely axis-aligned bounding blocks.
:-)
Tbone
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tbone »

Great progress on the controller support! I have a Hydra on the way, so hopefully I'll be able to test that soon!

Good stuff:
-Joystick Deadzone, sensitivity, keyhole settings, and recentering - all great options that allowed me to make my controller usable! Thanks!

Bugs:
-Both left and right triggers are read as "Z axis axis". Not sure if this is unique to me, but it makes me unable to use the right trigger, so I currently have to bind the left trigger only.
-The GUI shift doesn't seem to work. I tried a few different buttons and holding it down didn't seem to split quantity

Settings:
These settings worked best for me
-Keyhole width: 90
-Keyhole height: 100
Decouple: off
Pitch: off
Joystick sensitivity: 8.0
Joystick Deadzone: .20 (my character would not stop moving around at .1)
Aim Type: Recentering (highly recommended to avoid losing your cursor)

Controls:
Forward/Back: Y axis
Left/Right: X axis
Aim left/right: X rotation axis
Aim Up/down: Y rotation axis
Center Aim: 2 button (X) (if not chosen as aim type)
Attack: Z axis axis (currently bugged - would like right trigger)
Use Item: Button 5 button (currently bugged - would like left trigger)
Jump: 0 button (A)
Next item left/right: POV X
Drop: Button 1 (B)
Chat: POV Y- (pad up)
Sneak: Button 8 (left stick)
Pick Block: Button 4 (left bumper)
Inventory: Button 3 (Y)
Menu: Button 7 (start)
List players: POV Y+ (pad down)
GUI Up/down: Y Axis
GUI Left/right: X Axis
GUI Select: 0 button (A)
GUI Alt select: 2 button (X)
GUI Back: 1 button (B)
GUI Shift: Button 8 (left stick)

I also bind the right stick to Teamspeak :D
mabrowning
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mabrowning »

Tbone wrote:-Both left and right triggers are read as "Z axis axis". Not sure if this is unique to me, but it makes me unable to use the right trigger, so I currently have to bind the left trigger only.
Hmm... what kind of controller do you have? On my original Xbox ("Xbox 1", not "Xbox One"; stupid MS...), the left trigger is "z axis" and the right is "rz axis". However, the all-the-way-out position is -1 and the all the way in is 1, so it traverses through the + and - axis to depress the trigger. Thus, for "button" type keybindings, I map both axis. Not ideal, but I that seemed like the best solution at the time. I'm wondering if maybe your left trigger is 0->-1 and right is 0->1. I'll see if I can come up with a workable solution. Try downloading a joystick tester program to see what values are available and what are reported. If possible, use the LWJGL joystick tester (look at org.lwjgl.test.input.TestControllers). Not sure exactly what that does, but it will probably give some diagnostic output.

Edit: browsed around, and thats the way its done on the Xbox 360 controller with "official" MS drivers. Ok, I'll change the code so that "buttons" can be mapped to +/- axis separately. I'll just have to figure out a way to make my controller work, too.
Tbone wrote:-The GUI shift doesn't seem to work. I tried a few different buttons and holding it down didn't seem to split quantity
Yeah, I realized that last night after trying to craft some simple items. In general, the inventory management is pretty hard to use. I'll work on that today.
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

StellaArtois wrote:With the crosshair interaction bug; does the issue correct itself if you set player eye height to 1.62m (the Minecraft defaut)?

The jitter-bug ( :lol: ) - don't like the sound of that. Do you think it's due to a change of your Minecrift graphics settings since older builds? Have you tried playing around with the head track prediction values to see if you can remove the jitter effect?

With the calibration / reset origin; sounds like ma's on a mission with that, it may be a work in progress :-)
When I set my player height back down to 1.62, that doesn't seem to help the crosshair aiming issue at all.. Rather, it seems aiming just isn't locked to the Crosshairs properly. It actually seems that aiming, with things like the bow or compass-teleporting, is tied to a combination of BOTH the crosshairs and where you're looking. And as a result, neither is an accurate way to aim. It doesn't seem to be a direct combination or center point between the 2 either. Just messed up.
If it's possible to fix that bug, I'd suggest all aiming related interactions be directly tied to the Crosshairs/mouse, and not the player's head-tracking.

As for the "jitter-bug", I'm not noticing any result changes when I alter the graphics settings. Sometimes it's not even noticible, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless more people start seeing it too. Even when it's there, it's easy to ignore and forget.
And it's hard to say if it's always been like this, or if I've only just recently noticed it. As I said before, it's almost like a type of mild-constant screen tearing, that is only visible or at least exaggerated by looking around with your head, as opposed to doing so with the mouse. I notice it mostly as I slowly turn my head, like every 10 frames or 5-10 degrees of a turn. But when I perform the same turning actions with my mouse, the effect is greatly reduced and almost unnoticeable entirely. Which makes me think it might be related to head-tracking or the magnetics, or maybe even the prediction. I'll test later by turning off prediction, or turning it down.
Last edited by NikoKun on Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

NikoKun wrote: it's possible to fix that bug, I'd suggest all aiming related interactions be directly tied to the Crosshairs/mouse, and not the player's head-tracking.
I haven't touched that code, so its still the default implementation: Minecraft originally only supported one "direction" that a player could be facing: their walking direction. Thats what direction all arrows, water buckets, and things that "come out" of the player originate in. Its only the "click on this particular block" or "click on this particular entity" that I've changed the code (to use free-aim crosshair). If you have look/move fully coupled, then the arrows should come out in your head direction. I think.

Eventually, I plan on fixing this, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be an involved change and hard to keep Forge compatibility. I'll look into it eventually, though. Its on our issue list at #57. If this one is particularly important to you, you can subscribe to be notified when we fix it ;)
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Tbone wrote:-Both left and right triggers are read as "Z axis axis". Not sure if this is unique to me, but it makes me unable to use the right trigger, so I currently have to bind the left trigger only.
-The GUI shift doesn't seem to work. I tried a few different buttons and holding it down didn't seem to split quantity
Both of these issues should now be fixed in b95.
Tbone
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tbone »

mabrowning wrote:
Both of these issues should now be fixed in b95.
It works great now, thanks! It's nice to stand up and rotate around a bit while playing! What a great mod!
jpkrautw
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jpkrautw »

Boats/horses seem to be fixed now too! Thanks to the responsible parties. This mod truly is fantastic and one of the best rift experiences currently available.
NeoCortex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NeoCortex »

Hi guys!
Guess what UPS delivered yesterday :D ! Right, my Rift devkit! So i took it for a testride:
Tuscany demo: sure, nice... a lot of Unity demos: yeah, impressive... the configuration utility: hmm, nice room.. OH there is a car! Titans of space: impressive! And last but not least at all: minecrift!

Boy, what a difference even to my selfmade 7" tablet hmd contraption. I was there, i mean, really, IN my little desert village! Errm, did i say little? Well, actually those 1m blocks are huuuuuge! Seing the minecraft world like this for sure will change the way i build in this world. E.g. i tried to run down a simple 2 blocks high, 45 degree slope (i.e. one block forward, one down). OUCH! It felt like hitting my head to the ceiling every second step ;-)

Then there was that lava pond: amazing how those little pieces pop up and 3d curve thru the air!

Oh yes air: diving into a pool i almost forgot to breathe while watching those bubbles all around me.

And something you have to try: look at a sheep that is standing one block above you. That face is something really hard to forget!

So: thank you for creating that wonderful extension to minecraft! It was by far my most impressive first impression wearing my Rift.

I'll definitively will continue to test it and hope to be able to provide some useful feedback too.

Today i'll add the Hydra to the test setup.

cu,
Neo
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

NeoCortex wrote:Hi guys!
Guess what UPS delivered yesterday :D ! Right, my Rift devkit! So i took it for a testride:
Tuscany demo: sure, nice... a lot of Unity demos: yeah, impressive... the configuration utility: hmm, nice room.. OH there is a car! Titans of space: impressive! And last but not least at all: minecrift!

Boy, what a difference even to my selfmade 7" tablet hmd contraption. I was there, i mean, really, IN my little desert village! Errm, did i say little? Well, actually those 1m blocks are huuuuuge! Seing the minecraft world like this for sure will change the way i build in this world. E.g. i tried to run down a simple 2 blocks high, 45 degree slope (i.e. one block forward, one down). OUCH! It felt like hitting my head to the ceiling every second step ;-)

Then there was that lava pond: amazing how those little pieces pop up and 3d curve thru the air!

Oh yes air: diving into a pool i almost forgot to breathe while watching those bubbles all around me.

And something you have to try: look at a sheep that is standing one block above you. That face is something really hard to forget!

So: thank you for creating that wonderful extension to minecraft! It was by far my most impressive first impression wearing my Rift.

I'll definitively will continue to test it and hope to be able to provide some useful feedback too.

Today i'll add the Hydra to the test setup.

cu,
Neo
Being a Minecraft n00b I still love to marvel at the 3D effect in a canyon I found. It's my go-to-area whenever testing new functionality. It's a good place to be in the Rift!

Great to hear you're enjoying Minecrift! Looking forward to hear any test feedback. Just beware of cable overload with the Hydra and Rift together, but apart from that let us know how it goes :-)
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

All Hydra positional tracking options are inverted in 95, that was REALLY trippy

EDIT: Maybe not, a restart fixed. (Had Hydra directon the wrong way with it strapped to the back of my head, it's where the wire is coming out of and not the end with the analogue stick)

EDIT2: First real issue I'm coming in to is sluggishness with the tracking. It's strange because I've sorted it in almost every other game, but not in here. The only way I can completely remove it is to turn distortion off, when thats disabled it's snappy. When I shake my head slowly with it on, everything is a bit slow. When it's off, everything "snaps" when I stop moving my head. I have >120fps at all times, and turning off distortion doesnt change it much, so its not totally FPS related.

I'll give you a more detailed review when I've had the rift for a week or so.

EDIT3: This is really strange... It seems like this sluggishness has nothing to do with framerate. I got to a point where I had >300fps at all times, and with distortion or FSAA enabled, it felt really sluggish. Even at 300fps. If I disabled both distortion and FSAA then enabled options so I had the same average framerate of ~300, it was incredibly responsive. Making the distortion border larger improved it slightly too.

Those tests were all done with an average framerate of just above 300, and when I enabled resource intense settings I offset the difference by changing the render distance to keep the framerate at a similar benchmark for everything. From those tests, it feels like enabling Minecrift's FSAA adds latency to the tracker, and enabling distortion also adds latency, even when the framerate is high enough to be a non issue. The menu does not have this problem either.
I'm basing "Not Sluggish" on both Tuscany and Minecrift without distortion.

It's so strange :|
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Jademalo wrote:All Hydra positional tracking options are inverted in 95, that was REALLY trippy

EDIT: Maybe not, a restart fixed. (Had Hydra directon the wrong way with it strapped to the back of my head, it's where the wire is coming out of and not the end with the analogue stick)
Yeah, I've got a plan for fixing that so it doesn't matter. A simple "lean forward and backwards" instruction during configuration/calibration will allow us to precisely determine the hydra base station yaw (rotation) offset.
Jademalo wrote: EDIT2: First real issue I'm coming in to is sluggishness with the tracking. It's strange because I've sorted it in almost every other game, but not in here. The only way I can completely remove it is to turn distortion off, when thats disabled it's snappy. When I shake my head slowly with it on, everything is a bit slow. When it's off, everything "snaps" when I stop moving my head. I have >120fps at all times, and turning off distortion doesnt change it much, so its not totally FPS related.

I'll give you a more detailed review when I've had the rift for a week or so.

EDIT3: This is really strange... It seems like this sluggishness has nothing to do with framerate. I got to a point where I had >300fps at all times, and with distortion or FSAA enabled, it felt really sluggish. Even at 300fps. If I disabled both distortion and FSAA then enabled options so I had the same average framerate of ~300, it was incredibly responsive. Making the distortion border larger improved it slightly too.

Those tests were all done with an average framerate of just above 300, and when I enabled resource intense settings I offset the difference by changing the render distance to keep the framerate at a similar benchmark for everything. From those tests, it feels like enabling Minecrift's FSAA adds latency to the tracker, and enabling distortion also adds latency, even when the framerate is high enough to be a non issue. The menu does not have this problem either.
I'm basing "Not Sluggish" on both Tuscany and Minecrift without distortion.

It's so strange :|
Very strange. I wonder if using shaders is allowing some buffer to build up... it might be that 300fps is actually worse than exactly 60fps (until I fix the buffering).
Last edited by mabrowning on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

mabrowning wrote:Very strange. I wonder if using shaders is allowing some buffer to build up... it might be that 300fps is actually worse than exactly 60fps (until I fix the buffering).
That sounds logical - It wouldn't be an issue but I'm extremely sensitive to even the slightest bit of latency it seems, lol.
The only issue with that is actually trying to stick it at exactly 60, I get that high a framerate normally Vsync locks it on 120. Then again, Vsync made everything even more worse :|
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Well instead of talking, lets just try it: b96 flushes the GPU command queue after every frame. You may see a drop in FPS, but hopefully this will reduce some latency. Not sure, actually, but its worth a shot.

Edit: b97 flushes a bit differently(more effectively on some GPUs) right before polling the head tracking hardware.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

B96 didn't work, then as soon as I switch my desktop back to surround and redo my icons I see 97. >_<

You'll have to give me a minute, I've got a case of the rifts.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Well, sorry about that :( I've got to head off to work, but I'll be puzzling throughout the day over what could be causing this extra latency with shaders turned on...
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Alright, thank you!

I'll probably not be able to try it again until after I've slept, so another 12 hours or so. That session sent me spinning more than others for some reason, it was probably just how I was testing it though.
The reason as well I'm holding off with giving a full review is I want to make sure I'm doing it after properly aclimatising to the Rift, Yesterday I went to sleep pretty stroppy but after today It's steadily getting better =p

One thing to note, I am using SLI. I've tried running it with SLI disabled, but there wasn't any apparent difference when I last tried it. Not 100% sure though.
Another thing, is there any reasoning why AA would increase the latency further? I assumed it would purely affect the framerate, but even when that's stupidly high it still slows it down. I tried the native downsampling with the rift, but the effect wasn't really enough. 2x FSAA really sorts out the Jaggies.

And finally, is the cursor meant to dissapear when it hits the sky? It's really distracting when it suddenly vanishes, and I don't remember it doing that when I was first testing :S
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Jademalo wrote:Alright, thank you!

I'll probably not be able to try it again until after I've slept, so another 12 hours or so. That session sent me spinning more than others for some reason, it was probably just how I was testing it though.
The reason as well I'm holding off with giving a full review is I want to make sure I'm doing it after properly aclimatising to the Rift, Yesterday I went to sleep pretty stroppy but after today It's steadily getting better =p

One thing to note, I am using SLI. I've tried running it with SLI disabled, but there wasn't any apparent difference when I last tried it. Not 100% sure though.
Another thing, is there any reasoning why AA would increase the latency further? I assumed it would purely affect the framerate, but even when that's stupidly high it still slows it down. I tried the native downsampling with the rift, but the effect wasn't really enough. 2x FSAA really sorts out the Jaggies.
I suspect its the same reason you see additional latency with distortion. In both cases, we're using Framebuffer objects as render targets. I've only ever tested on AMD hardware/drivers. Perhaps nVidia's OpenGL implementation needs some different treatment with regards to FBOs? I'm baffled.
Jademalo wrote:And finally, is the cursor meant to disappear when it hits the sky? It's really distracting when it suddenly vanishes, and I don't remember it doing that when I was first testing :S
No, that doesn't sound right. The cursor should be at "infinite" depth as far as convergence goes, but still be drawn "on top" of everything, no matter what(including the GUI when GUI occlusion is turned on... oops). The color should be inverted with respect to whatever its drawn over, so it should always be visible. I don't think I've changed how the crosshair is rendered in any recent build... could have accidently, though. I'll test that tonight when I get home.

It can move out of your FOV if you have a vertical keyhole height that allows it., but from what you described, this doesn't sound like what is happening...
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

mabrowning wrote:No, that doesn't sound right. The cursor should be at "infinite" depth as far as convergence goes, but still be drawn "on top" of everything, no matter what(including the GUI when GUI occlusion is turned on... oops). The color should be inverted with respect to whatever its drawn over, so it should always be visible. I don't think I've changed how the crosshair is rendered in any recent build... could have accidently, though. I'll test that tonight when I get home.

It can move out of your FOV if you have a vertical keyhole height that allows it., but from what you described, this doesn't sound like what is happening...
Yeah, it's literally vanishing when it hits the sky, as if it's not visible since it's not on top of anything. It's really strange. My Vert keyhole is about 120deg, trying to get it close to TF2's.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

So how's your Rift Jade?! At last! :-)

Good find that it seems to be distortion causing excessive latency to the head tracking. Ma and I have discussed this previously, but we haven't yet looked deeply into it. If I were to guess (and I can't test this at the moment), I'd say it may be due to the distortion shader using old school OpenGL and not using VBOs. If you use AA, there's an even larger buffer to distort (4X the pixels with FSAA X2). That will put a higher load on the external busses and CPU; maybe that's having an effect on the perceived responsiveness somehow. Maybe the Oculus driver doesn't like high CPU usage elsewhere? (That's a lot of 'maybe's).

Is it possible to use AA with no distortion (I can't remember if we can do that or not - maybe not)?

I'm assuming messing around with the head track prediction time makes no difference to all this?
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

StellaArtois wrote:Good find that it seems to be distortion causing excessive latency to the head tracking.
That is an interesting thought... Jademalo, what happens if you enable FSAA, but not distortion? Do you still see the high latency? Sadly, I suspect you will, but if not then it narrows our search significantly.

I'm looking into more explicit GPU synchronization primitives now in order to A) properly clear the command buffers; I suspect drivers are ignoring glFInish(), and B) instrument things so we get an idea of what the actual latency from head orientation poll->swap buffers is.

On top of that, there will be an additional frametime (16.66ms @60Hz). For me personally, I am driving the Rift at 75Hz and that helps to make things snappier(13.33ms). Easy in Linux with xrandr, and there are instruction on how to do it on Windows as well.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

I haven't tried that, but I'm jut about to go to bed. I'll give you answers when I wake up though! (It's possible that it doesn't lag, i can't remember if I disabled it on one of the tests...)
With regards to prediction, I tried disabling it with no improvement. I've since learned turning it up to 30-40ms is the sweet spot, and that increasing rather than decreasing reduces lag. I'll experiment with that too tomorrow.
I'm planning on overclocking the display, I've done it before for my normal mons and I figure it will be a noticable improvement for the rift. I doubt I'll kill the screen before I get my hands on the consumer version =p
To save me an hour or so, what are your sync etc settings for 75hz ma?

If you do solve this, is it possible to merge and do another build of 1.4.7 and 1.5.2? FyreUK is still on 1.5.2, and obviously FTB is 1.4.7.

And Stella, I'm giving it a week before I say in detail. I was skeptical at first - but in the words of the Beatles, got to admit its getting better =]
Last edited by Jademalo on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Jademalo wrote:If you do solve this, is it possible to merge and do another build of 1.4.7 and 1.5.2? FyreUK is still on 1.5.2, and obviously FTB is 1.4.7.
Absolutely. Its on the issue tracker as #71. The FTB 1.5.2 beta worked pretty well for me, too.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Jade; I still get ill sometimes, but the sweats are taking longer to appear...

With the next Rift I want:

- no peripheral blurring
- greater FOV
- better screen
- built in pos track

In that order.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

30-40ms prediction time works best? Wow. That seems odd.

I use SLi as well; but have generally tested with just one GTX 580. I use 15ms for the best head track latency feel. On an i7 920 quad core.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

mabrowning wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:Good find that it seems to be distortion causing excessive latency to the head tracking.
That is an interesting thought... Jademalo, what happens if you enable FSAA, but not distortion? Do you still see the high latency? Sadly, I suspect you will, but if not then it narrows our search significantly.

I'm looking into more explicit GPU synchronization primitives now in order to A) properly clear the command buffers; I suspect drivers are ignoring glFInish(), and B) instrument things so we get an idea of what the actual latency from head orientation poll->swap buffers is.

On top of that, there will be an additional frametime (16.66ms @60Hz). For me personally, I am driving the Rift at 75Hz and that helps to make things snappier(13.33ms). Easy in Linux with xrandr, and there are instruction on how to do it on Windows as well.
ma, do you think Minecraft is reporting the FPS correctly with the stereo rendering? I had a cursory look at this before and it seemed that the answer was 'Yes, it does' currently...
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Jademalo wrote:
mabrowning wrote:No, that doesn't sound right. The cursor should be at "infinite" depth as far as convergence goes, but still be drawn "on top" of everything, no matter what(including the GUI when GUI occlusion is turned on... oops). The color should be inverted with respect to whatever its drawn over, so it should always be visible. I don't think I've changed how the crosshair is rendered in any recent build... could have accidently, though. I'll test that tonight when I get home.

Yeah, it's literally vanishing when it hits the sky, as if it's not visible since it's not on top of anything. It's really strange. My Vert keyhole is about 120deg, trying to get it close to TF2's.
I did *cough* try to change the alpha blending for the crosshair back to the original Minecraft style. However perhaps I've messed something up somewhere (not unknown). I have seen the crosshair disappear over grey coloured blocks however...
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

StellaArtois wrote:Jade; I still get ill sometimes, but the sweats are taking longer to appear...

With the next Rift I want:

- no peripheral blurring
- greater FOV
- better screen
- built in pos track

In that order.
The peripheral blurring seriously irked me day 1, I'm on B lenses now since As we're unusable for me =p
Also, better screen before greater FoV for me, otherwise I totally agree
daveo2013
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by daveo2013 »

Hey guys just tried minecrift for the first time and I wanted to say well done, good work and thank you! It's the best game experience for the rift so far for me.. I've played a few hours of HL2 too but that's too intense and really makes me feel ill after a while! I love minecraft and this will reinvigorate the game for me. Little bit queasy, but I haven't got my VR legs yet!
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Sounds like you guys could really do with that latency checker device Oculus were talking about a few months back!
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
NewTruthNeomaxim
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NewTruthNeomaxim »

Hey guys... So, my Rift is incoming, set to be delivered in the new couple days, and I won't lie, Minecrift is 90% of the reason I HAD to experience this thing. If nothing else, this mod will ensure I have one title that i'll be able to log hundreds of hours into, while development on other items continues.

Anyway, as a Minecraft modding, and Oculus Rift noobie, I hope you'll forgive me for asking a stupid question...

As of NOW, what do I need to do to install this? In following the mod for some time I saw mention of Magic Launcher, Optifine for graphics and as a requirement, an installer for Minecrift....

What is proper procedure now? If I have a fresh install of Minecraft 1.62 (well, I imagine it'll be a fresh install once I can figure out how to delete the old builds properly), do I need anything BESIDES the newest Minecrift installer? Is Optifine now built in, or do I need to get it as well if I want some of the fancier shaders, etc?

If I do need it, which version of THAT do I need/want?

Thanks!
Spyder
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Spyder »

Hi Neo

This is the dev/questions thread.
The release thread can be found here, it contains full install instructions :)
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Spyder, thanks for helping out! While correct, feel free to discuss the installer here.

NewTruth, you are correct, all you you need is the installer. :D
Spyder
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Spyder »

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were in the wrong place Neo :oops:
Perhaps I should have said that this is the dev/questions thread, so you're in the right place :D

I should add, great work on the minecrift project ma, Stella. It's refreshing to see community endeavors like this overtake/beat the official studios. Gotta love the community spirit I'm seeing everywhere surrounding the rift. I thinks that's what tipped me over the "Buy a dev kit/wait for consumer" line.

Can't wait till mine arrives and I can get my head into minecraft
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Right, I'm awakle again!

Time to test a few things out :D
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

I can see the latency! Barely.

For my eyes, it seems that its only the distortion shader; the FSAA shader is still as responsive as without shaders at all. Bad news is that this is even with the additional sync objects I've added in; I don't think that is the issue anymore. Time to tackle the distortion shader.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Tests done, there is very little latency with 4x FSAA and no distortion shader. It's almost 100% definitely caused by that!
Increasing the prediction to about 35 helped a bit, but everything was still a bit... smeary. Moreso than the rift normally is.

On another note, in 97 the cursor issue doesn't seem to be there anymore. Strange bug that was lol.

What are your settings for 75hz Rift Ma? (Also can I call you Mark? You arent my mother :o )
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Jademalo wrote:What are your settings for 75hz Rift Ma? (Also can I call you Mark? You arent my mother )
Oh please do. mabrowning is Mark Alan Browning, not "ol ma' browning let dem chickens loose again".

This is my modeline:

Code: Select all

ModeLine "1280x800" 107.21 1280 1360 1496 1712 800 801 804 835 -HSync +Vsync
Works on my graphics card, but you may need some fiddling on yours.
Jademalo wrote:Tests done, there is very little latency with 4x FSAA and no distortion shader. It's almost 100% definitely caused by that!
Here is our current distortion shader. Nothing in here looks too fishy at all... 1 texture lookup, a few multiplies, a few clamp()s...

Code: Select all

#version 120

uniform sampler2D bgl_RenderTexture;
uniform int half_screenWidth;
uniform vec2 LeftLensCenter;
uniform vec2 RightLensCenter;
uniform vec2 LeftScreenCenter;
uniform vec2 RightScreenCenter;
uniform vec2 Scale;
uniform vec2 ScaleIn;
uniform vec4 HmdWarpParam;
uniform vec4 ChromAbParam;

// Scales input texture coordinates for distortion.
vec2 HmdWarp(vec2 in01, vec2 LensCenter)
{
    vec2 theta = (in01 - LensCenter) * ScaleIn; // Scales to [-1, 1]
    float rSq = theta.x * theta.x + theta.y * theta.y;
    vec2 rvector = theta * (HmdWarpParam.x + HmdWarpParam.y * rSq +
            HmdWarpParam.z * rSq * rSq +
            HmdWarpParam.w * rSq * rSq * rSq);
    return LensCenter + Scale * rvector;
}

void main()
{
    // The following two variables need to be set per eye
    vec2 LensCenter = gl_FragCoord.x < half_screenWidth ? LeftLensCenter : RightLensCenter;
    vec2 ScreenCenter = gl_FragCoord.x < half_screenWidth ? LeftScreenCenter : RightScreenCenter;

vec2 oTexCoord = gl_TexCoord[0].xy;

vec2 tc = HmdWarp(oTexCoord, LensCenter);
    if (any(bvec2(clamp(tc,ScreenCenter-vec2(0.25,0.5), ScreenCenter+vec2(0.25,0.5)) - tc)))
    {
        gl_FragColor = vec4(vec3(0.0), 1.0);
        return;
    }
    gl_FragColor = texture2D(bgl_RenderTexture, tc);
}
I dunno man, that looks pretty normalish.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Hmm... I'm completely stumped. Half Life 2 is similar in the sense that if I up the FSAA then it starts to get sluggish, but that works fine normally.

Tuscany is definitely the benchmark for me, it's incredibly responsive. Annoyingly I don't know near enough to be able to give any advice beyond what I have, but for whatever reason the shader is definitely the culprit.
I don't have an AMD machine to test it on either, so I can't discern whether or not it's nvidia's fault.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Alright, I've toyed around with the shader code enough for one night. I produced some interesting results, but I'm not sure what it means yet...

In other happy news, I've figured out how to make FSAA work on OSX. I may be doing some shader surgery to reduce the number of rendering passes... no idea if that will help the distortion rending, though. This stuff is fun ^_^

Return to “Minecrift”