First Impressions From Rift Owners

brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Re: First Impressions From Rift Owners

Post by brantlew »

jack612 wrote:Wow, up until now I had been playing the Tuscany demo sitting down at my desk with my hands on my keyboard and my mouse but I just tried it standing up with a wireless Xbox 360 controller and the difference in immersion is pretty amazing.
I always demo the Rift standing up. It definitely kicks it up a notch.
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

hughJ wrote:
Omarzuqo wrote:I wonder how much of a hazard would that be for epileptic people.
If 85hz CRTs didn't cause people issues
It does cause issues. My eyes starts to hurt eventually if I sit close to a CRT screen due to the blinking light. Running it at 120hz helps but I can still clearly see it blinking, it is worse the brighter the game is.
msfreemind
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by msfreemind »

GeraldT wrote:
Drewbdoo wrote: Never really thought about this, but I'm the exact oppisite - I eat a keto diet, so it's like 65-70%fat, 30% protein and <20g carbs/day. Basically, everything that uses glucose in me now uses ketonic acid. I am curious if will effect me in any way.
Please share your results - I am not sure how your diet actually influences this and how much is just genetics, but I was thinking about a Keto diet myself since I have seen a friend getting great results.
Be careful with eating so few carbs, even on a ketogenic diet. I used to eat low-carb paleo and it may have contributed to hormonal problems.

More info:
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/08/ca ... e-thyroid/
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

msfreemind wrote: Be careful with eating so few carbs, even on a ketogenic diet. I used to eat low-carb paleo and it may have contributed to hormonal problems.

More info:
Misleading article. Low-carb paleo diets are amazing.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Drewbdoo wrote:
GeraldT wrote:
KBK wrote: You have a higher level of glucose secretion to your rods and cones than most, it seems. The stutter comes from the persistence effect of the given eye. The higher the glucose secretion to the rod/cone the longer the period of time the signal is sent to the brain.

To help with a visualization, The rods and cones act like balloons that are always being filled via glucose secretion, and then being vented when they intercept a photon of light. The photonic interaction causes them to fire a signal down their individual neural path, and they use up some glucose in that act. The more glucose available to the cone the longer the signal duration is. It is a simple 'just in time delivery' of glucose -system.

People with a lower level of glucose secretion to the rods and cones via tiredness (physical exhaustion) or natural genetic design, they will have different perceptions and sensitivities. This difference by genetic design tends to dictate preferences in how a given person wants an image to appear. A combination of tastes and learning, due to one's own genetic design. When very very tired and blood sugar is lower, and metabolism is slowed, one will note a greater stutter effect and general lessening of capacity to visualize things. This is not just tiredness, it is a lack of capacity to see and to decode. Shut it off. Go to sleep. Eat, rest, and so on. Don't allow it to get that bad, it is unhealthy. :)

The above is not exactly how it works, bu it is enough to get the general idea.
Wow - that is interesting, I am a bit sugar addicted and that might be connected to me being less susceptible to stutter? I can hardly believe it, but it makes sense. I rarely have "tired eyes", but you are right that in such cases I am more perceptible. Thank you KBK - from now on my friends will get a big piece of cake before I turn on the DLP :D
Never really thought about this, but I'm the exact oppisite - I eat a keto diet, so it's like 65-70%fat, 30% protein and <20g carbs/day. Basically, everything that uses glucose in me now uses ketonic acid. I am curious if will effect me in any way.

I'm not all well informed in this area, but..IIRC, something about the fats being essential for brain function. That the brain runs on these fats, as a form of conversion. Carnivore type fats are possibly the best, ie, eat previously happy animals.

as for the paleo diets, I absolutely THRIVE on them. Like a frikkin' machine. Climbing the walls, too much energy. My ancestors ate like that, and live to be in their 90's. No plastic chemicals in the mix, is all. No artificial constructs. raw, organic, no fertilizers, hormones, or anti-biotics, etc. Clean, long life - the end.
Last edited by KBK on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

this is way off topic
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Paladia wrote:
hughJ wrote:
Omarzuqo wrote:I wonder how much of a hazard would that be for epileptic people.
If 85hz CRTs didn't cause people issues
It does cause issues. My eyes starts to hurt eventually if I sit close to a CRT screen due to the blinking light. Running it at 120hz helps but I can still clearly see it blinking, it is worse the brighter the game is.
back to some form of it. (topic)

flicker and glucose, general metabolism, etc... is tied to perceived image fidelity. Yes, not so much of a factor, but it is definitely a component.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

That makes me wonder if a change in diet can reduce risk for epileptics.
My cousin is an epileptic and he wants to try my Oculus Rift so badly.
Its going to break his heart if he cant.

If anyone knows of an epileptic playing the Rift without problems, please share!
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
msfreemind
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by msfreemind »

spire8989 wrote:
msfreemind wrote: Be careful with eating so few carbs, even on a ketogenic diet. I used to eat low-carb paleo and it may have contributed to hormonal problems.

More info:
I never said that they weren't amazing. Maybe you are getting great results.

I was not cautioning against paleo diets at all. I was cautioning against carbs < 20 g, which, while maybe amazing for some people, I do not believe is amazing for everybody.

And now, I'll stop being off-topic.
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

msfreemind wrote:
spire8989 wrote:

More info:
I never said that they weren't amazing. Maybe you are getting great results.

I was not cautioning against paleo diets at all. I was cautioning against carbs < 20 g, which, while maybe amazing for some people, I do not believe is amazing for everybody.

And now, I'll stop being off-topic.
Haha, sorry, my message got cut off. I wrote a lot more about carbs and thyroids, but I don't know where it went. It's too off-topic to repeat here, so I'll let us get back to where we were. I can't wait to get my rift, I'm a little disappointed that I didn't realize just how low-res the developer kit was going to be... but then, I'm a developer. That's fine, we're going to craft things that will be amazing on the consumer Rift, and I'm excited :D
Evenios
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Evenios »

Can we please stay on topic here? (and people accuse me of ranting on..)

Id like to hear more impressoins im sad to see theres really not many Youtube oculus rift user impressons at all like maybe one or two ..actually just one that ive seen so far. though he says he likes it over all.

im a bit worried about the low resoluton but it seems to be one of the hot topic issues of the Dev Kit. some say its really bad others say it is "low" but after all its not so bad and overall its still worth it and you do feel immersed.

maybe it just depends on the user :-) people can you please post some more impressions videos on youtube or something would be great!

and no offense diet info shoudnt be posted in this thread. You gotta be really careful about such advice anyways they may be good but some of them may actually have health issues that may not be apparent at first so lets try to stick to the topic at hand ok?
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

A little late on that post since it seems like we've moved on from diet. Regardless, I don't have my Rift yet, but it sounds like the resolution and whatnot is definitely a bit of an issue. If you ordered it expecting a developer kit that will allow you to make awesome experiences for the consumer version I don't see a problem though. We can still craft the experience, we just won't be able to entirely test it. I'm still hoping that we'll be able to switch out the panel for a higher resolution in the devkit at some point though.

If you got it to play games Evenios, then you'll probably be a bit disappointed.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

I think from the very start, Palmer himself used a diffuser on his projects, and was even going to have a diffuser as an option for people buying a DIY Rift. I think this was before it even had the name "Rift".
Seems we should be able to find a way to add a diffuser to a Dev.Kit Rift without too much trouble.
AlienHack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AlienHack »

3dvison wrote:I think from the very start, Palmer himself used a diffuser on his projects, and was even going to have a diffuser as an option for people buying a DIY Rift. I think this was before it even had the name "Rift".
Seems we should be able to find a way to add a diffuser to a Dev.Kit Rift without too much trouble.
What kind of diffuser ? Like a thin film that covers the screens matrix and pixelation that is visible?

Also I really hope that if a 1080 screen is found in the future that can be used with the rift, we all developer kit owners, will find a way to upgrade our kits screen... :D
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

If you dig up old post from Palmer, I think it was a diffuser layer taken from an LCD monitor. If anyone has an old LCD around, rip it apart and see what you can find.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

ultra fine diffusion films and similar can many times be found at full service art shops and framing shops.
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

Yes I did read about Palmer mentioning diffuser screen. If I had to guess I am sure Oculus experimented with that.

Getting back on to the thread topic. Here are my brief first impressions and ramblings.

I received the Rift Friday after work, and had a feeling it would arrive since I was an early order on Kickstarter. I text all of my friends before and after demoing the Rift, who I had been telling about the Rift since the Carmack post here. So I took my time unpackaging and setting up the Rift in weird state of disbelief since I was expecting to receive it next week. This has been the most hyped for good reason and most obsessed over piece of hardware in my life. So I have ran through the demos and played TF2 as well as some games using the Vireio driver which is not setup for the dev kit yet. The Tuscan demo and TF2 are great. I must say this dev kit delivers. I am not a dev but this inspires me to striving to become one. I think the Genie is out the bottle and this is going to do what everyone has been saying it is going to change the world. TO be honest I want to make a DIY Rift as soon as the Carmack post. I am then thought it would be better to wait for the new standard which is the dev kit. Well with out getting to carried away which seems to be easy to do when talking about VR. Even though I was tempted to type some negative post through the whole process I am glad I resisted, because I would have regretted it.

Like most people have already posted here. Being real here. Yes due to screen size and ppi you can see pixels and the grid also called screen door effect, the resolutions is low, doesn't seem like all of the panel can be seen through optics so a certain percent of pixels may not be able to be used or are being getting wasted. ALL OF THAT SAID NONE OF IT MATTERS. It is a dev kit not a final product people should know what that means. The whole experience of FOV and head tracker in SDK demos and TF2 is amazing. You feel like you are in another world and you are there in the game. What are adrenaline rush Like skydiving for the first time. Tip be sure to go through all of the hot-keys on the demo like 5 and 6 to make yourself tine and and then fly when taller. So now that the frantic checking of this forum, youtube, and other site about Rift news. I will be frantically looking for new content slash old content enabled through hack or driver for the Rift dev kit. I would never mod this piece of history to put a 1080p screen in it. I am tempted to get into 3d printing and print one though. It great to see how Palmer is operating with his goals, direction, and attitude. I plan on waiting for the Consumer Rift which I hope is done before 2014, I am optimistic just because I feel like this project is just going to continue this crazy pace. I thought it was interesting that Palmer Had 5.5" 1080p LG Optimus G Pro phone an article joked he was going to cannibalize. Fun times ahead.
Check out this forum for a beta driver to get existing games working with the Rift.
Official Vireio Perception Driver Forum http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141
Support these games on Steam Greenlight them http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92979040
Rig Specs - MS Windows Ultimate, i5 3470, 16 GB RAM, 2x AMD 1GB 5850 HD crossfired, SATA2 HD
Juste1221
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Juste1221 »

Evenios wrote:Can we please stay on topic here? (and people accuse me of ranting on..)

Id like to hear more impressoins im sad to see theres really not many Youtube oculus rift user impressons at all like maybe one or two ..actually just one that ive seen so far. though he says he likes it over all.

im a bit worried about the low resoluton but it seems to be one of the hot topic issues of the Dev Kit. some say its really bad others say it is "low" but after all its not so bad and overall its still worth it and you do feel immersed.

maybe it just depends on the user :-) people can you please post some more impressions videos on youtube or something would be great!

and no offense diet info shoudnt be posted in this thread. You gotta be really careful about such advice anyways they may be good but some of them may actually have health issues that may not be apparent at first so lets try to stick to the topic at hand ok?
The resolution, motion blur, and motion discomfort are definitely the biggest hurdles. For me personally, they're not something I've ever forgot about or overlooked while playing as they're always (literally) in your face, but this will probably vary from person to person. This should come as no surprise, we all knew this going into the dev kit. I think if you've ever played the PC's best 3D showpieces (e.g. Tomb Raider, several of the Helix Mods) properly set up for a very strong and comfortable effect on an HMZ, HQ DLP projector, or really any above average 3D display close enough to achieve a 50-60+ degree viewing angle, I don't see you being floored by the dev kit (or at least not Tuscany/TF2, who knows what the future might hold). If you haven't, I expect you will probably describe it as just about the greatest thing you've ever seen.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

KBK wrote:as for the paleo diets, I absolutely THRIVE on them. Like a frikkin' machine. Climbing the walls, too much energy. My ancestors ate like that, and live to be in their 90's. No plastic chemicals in the mix, is all. No artificial constructs. raw, organic, no fertilizers, hormones, or anti-biotics, etc. Clean, long life - the end.
I applaud people looking at human evolution for answers. Yet I don't know if you guys realise, but white people have actually continued to evolve since the paleolithic era, and we are now at least partially genetically adapted to non-paleolithic diets. For example, our paleolithic ancestors were lactose intolerant, but we are not. Most of those who couldn't survive healthily on a non-paleolithic diet would have either died out, or been too sickly to be appealing to the opposite sex or have children.

The paleolithic diet also drove many species to extinction, couldn't support a large population, couldn't support civilisation, and would be an ecological and climate disaster if we all adopted it today.

Organic food is a fraud. They still use fertilizers, pesticides, etc., they just use "natural" ones. There's no logic to it for human health. I remember people telling me how much better Cuban tobacco was because it was grown without pesticides, and I had to explain to them that nicotine IS a commonly used chemical pesticide. :roll:

What's wrong with "artificial constructs"?
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

2EyeGuy wrote: What's wrong with "artificial constructs"?
Let's save this for another thread... I've spent years researching diets and have nothing against GMOs even really. I do parkour, so I have a pretty high level of fitness I think. The sentence about lactose-intolerance makes little sense though, since mostly everyone still has trouble digesting it, whether they realize it or not. Bread is bad for you, I'm just going to leave that.

Now back to the rift!
LukePoga
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LukePoga »

Genetically modified foods are our future. It's a mistake to think they are anything but good. There is an uninformed outcry against them, but its just ignorance of the science.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Will everyone, please, just not mention diet, AT ALL? No-one will ever get 'the last word' in, so its best if people just pretend the topic never existed.
If people really wish to discuss the subject, they can make a new thread - to pollute a totally different thread is bad form, no matter how important or valid the material is.
Paintbrush
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Paintbrush »

pizzy00 wrote:I plan on waiting for the Consumer Rift which I hope is done before 2014, I am optimistic just because I feel like this project is just going to continue this crazy pace.
Oh yes pleeeeease :mrgreen:
Thank you for posting your thoughts and opinions on DEV Rift
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Actually nameilus, most of the hardcore science I have on keto comes from it's use in epileptic children. Inhibiting glucose makes severe cases much more sensitive to their medicine. This is waaay of topic and like I said, anyone at all is free to email me if they want more info, but I must say one more thing. You don't need carbs at all. There are those that say your brain needs it and they are right - your brain needs about 120g of glucose a day. Everything else switches over to ketones. But, you have a process called gluconeogenesis which can make ~150g glucose a day from protein. So yeah, you're dont need carbs. And fat is good for you.

So, vr guys, huh? That stuff is so darn cool. Any more new impressions?
Paintbrush
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Paintbrush »

If you go to Youtube, type in Oculus rift and select "This week" filter, you'll find some OR dev kit impressions (playing TF2 and Tuscany demo). They are all very positive.
Exciting times!
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

Drewbdoo wrote:Actually nameilus, most of the hardcore science I have on keto comes from it's use in epileptic children. Inhibiting glucose makes severe cases much more sensitive to their medicine. This is waaay of topic and like I said, anyone at all is free to email me if they want more info, but I must say one more thing. You don't need carbs at all. There are those that say your brain needs it and they are right - your brain needs about 120g of glucose a day. Everything else switches over to ketones. But, you have a process called gluconeogenesis which can make ~150g glucose a day from protein. So yeah, you're dont need carbs. And fat is good for you.

So, vr guys, huh? That stuff is so darn cool. Any more new impressions?
You need to stay on topic. Religious topics is against the rules of this forum.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

Parallaxis wrote: You need to stay on topic. Religious topics is against the rules of this forum.
You're the one doing it now. Also... religious? You confused?

Anyway, I think we'll get better reaction videos over the next couple weeks when the 'slightly' more recreational users start to receive their rifts.
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

About the filter, in the end Palmer decided against it with the following words:

"The resolution can be partially fixed by using a diffusion filter to blur the edges between the pixels, it works very well. Problem is, it hurts contrast, brightness, and black levels pretty heavily."
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

yeah enough with the diet crap sorry.......kinda getting annoying here this is not what this forum is about. its really clogging up this thread and tempted to make another thread that is ONLY about Rift impressions.

I really like your post pizzy00 Its well written, i agree with what you and someone else said. I think the main problem is some people here have seen VR headsets before and so the low res "and blur" is going to be off putting to many people. but as it was stated by Palmer and by the Oculus staff THIS iS A DEV KIT. was never ment for consumer use it may not be perfect but the consumer version will be better.

i think the problem is if you complain too much about the screen and the blur which will more then likely be fixed in the final version it may put off some people from taking interest in the Rift (oh its gotta a crappy screen im gonna pass).

We need more positive feedbacks like "yeah the screen is a bit low but overall the package is very well done and makes you feel like your there" as was said earlier :-).

but yeah if you have DIY kits or have paid for pricier higher quality screens sure maybe a little let down

but thats why im glad i never tried much VR before ....for me i think it will be great experience!
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Paladia wrote:About the filter, in the end Palmer decided against it with the following words:

"The resolution can be partially fixed by using a diffusion filter to blur the edges between the pixels, it works very well. Problem is, it hurts contrast, brightness, and black levels pretty heavily."
Which is why I mention where it is possible to obtain one, in order to do a quick test. Using one, long term, after initial exposure, and recognizing the deleterious effects - is another matter.

That thin layer is enough to ruin a video screen design attempt, as viewed from 12-14 (3.5m) ft out, on a 8 ft (2.5m) diagonal screen. Been there, done that, almost 15 years ago. Back when HT began to really take off. Taking the same thickness of film and putting it on a micro display and peering at said micro-display through what is essentially a magnifying glass, is not going to make that better. Only worse. Much much worse.

The only way to minimize it's effects is to have it as close as possible to the pixels proper. This requires that it be designed as part of the glass substrate, and be at the level of the separate cavities of LCD fluid. Between the glass and the LCD fluid. This is never going to happen, not feasible in any scenario.

Any other 'after the fact' attempt is going to ruin image fidelity, in multiple ways. I have a fair bit of real world and experimental design experience in these areas that concern video fidelity, one might say. The answer I put forth here, comes from that viewpoint.
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

the screen door, res and motion blur are obvious weaknesses, but after spending a good chunk of my weekend in and out of the rift... IT DOES NOT MATTER (as was mentioned above). these are the problems that oculus will fix for the consumer model to the best of their ability and will improve as technology does.

it is now up to developers to harness and build the experiences and tools that will truly make VR a mainstay of the future.

I spent some time in tuscany last night, imagining tools, virtual displays and more objects to interact with while standing next to the desk. i look forward to the interactive sixense version...
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

I could post all day about the Rift if I had time. As far as the motion blur yeah it is noticeable. You guys that already have the Rift test out Half Life 2 or HL2 demo with Vireio driver and it is weird because it seems like HL2 has less motion blur than Tuscan Demo. This may be due to it being an old game and my rig can tear through HL2, I did not run fraps yet but must be running at high frame rate. There is still a motion blur but seem way better than Tuscan demo or less noticeable. I read on the Vireio dedicated forum it will have support for dev kit tracking hopefully by Monday!!! I have not played HL2 in a long time should be fun with the Rift. I know the motion blur from panel is due the 60Hz refresh rate or response rate or something along those lines like people have already posted. As some people have already stand up with the Rift on is even more intense I recommend it. This early in vr I am already getting a sense of respect for it. I tired the Virtual Boy but that sucked. I bought a SMD ST1080 it was ok for video viewing but had issues and only a 45 degree FOV. I never tried vr at Block Party or at an arcade just because it looked like it would suck lol. If your stand up and go running forward you will naturally move your body backwards and the opposite if you run or move backwards your body moves forward. After see that Hydra Tuscan demo video yesterday I ordered my Hydras from Razor. I hope they release that demo, I don't see why they wouldn't make it part of the SDK.
Check out this forum for a beta driver to get existing games working with the Rift.
Official Vireio Perception Driver Forum http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141
Support these games on Steam Greenlight them http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92979040
Rig Specs - MS Windows Ultimate, i5 3470, 16 GB RAM, 2x AMD 1GB 5850 HD crossfired, SATA2 HD
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

After being initially unimpressed with TF2's Rift support, I decided to actually read through the directions and I have changed my mind. The IPD calibration makes a HUGE difference and I also turned off vsync and motionblur and used the vr_hud_max_fov console command to scale the HUD up to 75 so that it's (mostly) readable. Lots of fun. I just played for like an hour straight.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

jack612 wrote:After being initially unimpressed with TF2's Rift support, I decided to actually read through the directions and I have changed my mind. The IPD calibration makes a HUGE difference and I also turned off vsync and motionblur and used the vr_hud_max_fov console command to scale the HUD up to 75 so that it's (mostly) readable. Lots of fun. I just played for like an hour straight.
A specific thread on TF2 VR tweaks might come in handy. Just saying...

Definitely something I'd want to go back to once I receive my Rift.
dbuckvs
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by dbuckvs »

wow, skimming this page I thought we'd gotten attacked by diet pill spam bots :)

I've received my rift on friday, and got a chance to sit down with it and unity for a good 6 hours last night of random hacking and whatnot.

Rift itself: literal first thought: "I have superhumanly long eyelashes, and I need to move this thing away from my eyes some" random but funny! As to usage, Immersion is very nice for me. I found the default unity integration very easy to use, but a bit on the basic side. There is a lot of room for improvements in the character controller and player locomotion department.

Flying: fun. I set up the SpaceNavigator to control the player location and quickly was up and floating thru a few various test scenes I've got here and it was pretty awesome. One thing that was quite crazy looking was floating in a point cloud, altho that didn't work as well as i was hoping at the low rift res due to point flickering, it was an interesting effect.
delicate_arch

falling/jumping from a height is enough fun that I spent hours last night just making strange skyscrapers and launchpads/catapults to fire myself into the air.
got a rift and a hydra? check out a thing it's a hot mess of control schemes and ideas, but it's fun.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Rift playground app please!
dbuckvs
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by dbuckvs »

Further impression: I subjected my sister in law to the Tuscany demo, and she expressed that it was interesting, cool, and really really strange to look down and not see her feet. of note is that she gets motion sick at the drop of a hat. (IE: Literally gets motion sick riding in a car) It went fairly well actually, she stayed in for about 3 minutes, and was fine walking around using an xbox controller to move up until the point when she tried to go up the stairs. the sudden change in height caused her to bail out.

I'm going to see how a few other non-game folks react tonight (Parents!) and monday (a ton of architects) and will definitely keep an eye out to see how people react coming in with no preconceived notions about VR.

And yea! will totally make something along the lines of a playground, or somewhat more kinetic demo arena than the tuscany for people to experiment with also.

edit:poop.
got a rift and a hydra? check out a thing it's a hot mess of control schemes and ideas, but it's fun.
mickman

Post by mickman »

Just wondering what machine specs current Oculus owners are running at ?

This would be a huge factor in terms of re-fresh rates & blurring during tracking. yes ?? Would a user running at 60fps with VSync on be less susceptible to blurring ?

Has anyone run the Rift on a Mac via bootcamp ..
I'm running a 2012 MBP 2.2ghz i7, 16g ram & a HD6750m card, I'm really hoping this will suffice :geek:
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
dbuckvs
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by dbuckvs »

mickman wrote:Just wondering what machine specs current Oculus owners are running at ?

This would be a huge factor in terms of re-fresh rates & blurring during tracking. yes ?? Would a user running at 60fps with VSync on be less susceptible to blurring ?

Has anyone run the Rift on a Mac via bootcamp ..
I'm ruunig a 2012 MBP 2.5ghz with 16g ram & a HD6750m card & am really hoping this will suffice.
I'm running a 2012 MBP quadcore 2.0 i7 with 16g and hd6750m here and its working well for my purposes. primarily dev and experimenting in unity more so than trying to play modern games. I'm running in vmware fusion 5.0 and it's working well with unity, but doesn't appear to work with TF2 in the vm, so I can't speculate there.

the answer: It depends on the game. if you can run the game locked at 60fps at 1280x800 normally, you can run it fine with the rift.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

I was going to ask this too, but didn't want to turn it into too much of a specs thread. :)

I literally just bought a new system this morning for use with the Rift...
I haven't really been into PC or console gaming for many years, so was just waiting for something like the Rift to be released to make things fun again.

(I'm running a fairly "old" Q6600 with an AMD HD5450 atm, but it's been a reliable workhouse).

I got the Gigabyte Z77-DS3H, 3570K i5, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3, and Palit GTX 670.
(The board, CPU, RAM were only £300 on Am@z0n, and GPU was £220 2nd-hand on eB@y.)

Is pretty much everyone running Win 7 64-bit though?
I know I'll need 64-bit to access more than 4GB of RAM, so are the 64-bit nVidia drivers etc. nice and reliable now?
Are there any major issues that I might run into with the Rift SDK and x64?

Return to “Oculus VR”