FreePIE official thread

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Re: FreePIE official thread

Post by brantlew »

I posted some more detailed information about using the iPhone

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=15484
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

was planning on realsing a new version tonight, but crashes when using diagnositcs:watch forces me to wait. Hoping for a release tomorrow
Pyong
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pyong »

any chance of wii remote plus (wiimote with built in motion plus gyro) support?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Pyong wrote:any chance of wii remote plus (wiimote with built in motion plus gyro) support?
I dont own one personally so can't help you there, maybe brantlew or someone else with the hardware could do it?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Uploaded 0.4.211.0 Lots of changes see first page for info
madascanbe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by madascanbe »

Hi as you can see I'm new here so I hope this is in the correct place.

I like my racing games and have never considered using head tracking until a friend put a Trackir headset on my head, hooked.
The price of the trackir was a total shock to me so I started playing with freetrack and found it to be good enough for what I will be using it for.
I've been playing a particular racing game but it has no support for head tracking or the ability to set the mouse to look around while driving.
In the game settings menu it allows me to set all the look functions Up,Down,Left and Right to the Xbox 360's left thumb stick which give a nice smooth look around but this is not optimal when using a Logitech wheel and driving at the same time.

In Freetrack I can setup the tracking to move the mouse for U,D,L,R.
Before having to learn this scripting :? , would it be possible to use FreePIE with FreeTrack to emulate the left thumb stick of a Xbox 360 controller with out having to use PPjoy

Hope that makes sense to you all.

Thank you

Madascanbe
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

XBox 360 gamepad emulation is not currently supported. PPJoy is supported but I am not sure whether that will emulate the gamepad joysticks.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Does it have to be a 360? FreePIE support emulating standard joysticks/gamepads

Check out the ppJoy plugin in freepie

edit: Missed that you didnt want to use ppJoy. Thats the only virtual DirectcX driver around
madascanbe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by madascanbe »

It's not that i don't want to use PPJoy it's more that it will not install on my system. Windows 7 64bit home
I have tried putting the OS into test mode and using driver signing software but everything i try just fails. I have read somewhere else it has something to do with using the home version.

Thank you for your reply's, think I will have to wait for the game to add Track IR support.

P.S. Just seen this bit "Does it have to be a 360? FreePIE support emulating standard joysticks/gamepads"
I only have a 360 pad so, yes it need to be a 360 pad.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

madascanbe wrote:It's not that i don't want to use PPJoy it's more that it will not install on my system. Windows 7 64bit home
I have tried putting the OS into test mode and using driver signing software but everything i try just fails. I have read somewhere else it has something to do with using the home version.

Thank you for your reply's, think I will have to wait for the game to add Track IR support.

P.S. Just seen this bit "Does it have to be a 360? FreePIE support emulating standard joysticks/gamepads"
I only have a 360 pad so, yes it need to be a 360 pad.
I use Win7 Enterprise x64 and it works if I put it into Test mode, I didnt find anything on the net stating that it would be a difference with Home edition? Does it says test mode in the bottom right cornor? If not it wont work.

edit: If you use a Xbox 360 or not doesn matter, does the game support any DirectX device?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I added a homepage for FreePIE in the hope to get more hits on google thanks to a more SEO page

http://andersmalmgren.github.com/FreePIE/
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

CyberVillain wrote:I added a homepage for FreePIE in the hope to get more hits on google thanks to a more SEO page

http://andersmalmgren.github.com/FreePIE/
Nice page.
I think it's a good idea to add the version-number (just above the download button perhaps)
madascanbe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by madascanbe »

Hi CyberVillain.

Yes I have put windows into test mode, still fail to install.

The game in question(PCARS) will let me set the look functions to a 360 game pad and/or a Logitech DFGT so i guess it support any DirectX device.

Does PPJoy come with the MSI installer or should i use the one that comes with Freetrack NoIR
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

madascanbe wrote:Hi CyberVillain.

Yes I have put windows into test mode, still fail to install.

The game in question(PCARS) will let me set the look functions to a 360 game pad and/or a Logitech DFGT so i guess it support any DirectX device.

Does PPJoy come with the MSI installer or should i use the one that comes with Freetrack NoIR
The newest ppJoy is in a link in FreePIE's ppJoy doc, its http://ppjoy.blogspot.se/2009/11/finall ... rsion.html
Install that version in test mode, then create a virtual device in the ppJoy settings (Not from FreePIE but from start menu).

After its created you can access it from FreePIE using ppJoy[0].setAxis etc where [0] is the virtual stick #1 if you have more sticks you can access them using [1], [2] etc.

You can verify that it works by looking in the DirectX device manager and see if the axis and buttons respond to your FreePIE script.
madascanbe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by madascanbe »

I think this may be where I'm going wrong, The link on the PPJoy blogspot page is no longer of any use the file is no longer available at rapidshare. So I have been forced into trying to use PPJoy installer that comes with FreeTrack.

Just found if you put your mouse pointer over where it say PPJoy in the box at the top of the page it will lead you to this.

"OK, well, so today is my 38th birthday - traditionally a time for gifts. With this in mind I have decided to release the PPJoy source under the GPL license. This is my gift to you :)

I've just come to realise that my priorities have shifted and I don't have the time to spend improving PPjoy and giving it the attention it deserves. It would be great if somebody picks up where I am leaving off...

I hope to have the source up on SourceForge in a couple of weeks.
"

So I searched for the source code and found it at http://glovepie.org/blog/2011/09/21/ppjoy-source-code/
Hope this is of some use to you.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Thanks, seen that, but I do not think we will ship the driver with FreePIE, sad to hear about the link, it worked for me just a couole of weeks ago.

I googled PPJoySetup-0.8.4.5-early-release.exe

And first binary i found was this, you shuld probably virus check it etc

http://en.sourceforge.jp/frs/g_redir.ph ... elease.exe
madascanbe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by madascanbe »

I am so sorry for yet another post.

A quick summary of steps taken so for to install PPjoy
1 have downloaded file PPJoySetup-0.8.4.5-early-release.exe from two different locations(both files were identical)
2 put windows into test mode/ reboot.
3 run PPJoySetup-0.8.4.5-early-release.exe/ fail.
4 tried all compatibility modes/ same error message as in 3
5 disable UAC/ reboot
6 tried all compatibility modes/ same error message as in 3
7 scream and call PC some nasty names/ FAIL.
8 come here.

EDIT: After much reading it may well get a bit tricky for unsigned drivers if you are running windows 7 64bit. It seems Microsoft have tightened there driver signing policy tighter than a ducks, especial for home premium users.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Hi madascanbe

I had very similar problems (Windows 7 Professional 64 bit). Eventually, I managed to get it working, and not only that, managed to find a hack for PPjoys virtual joysticks to put it in the top of the game controller list. I think I wrote a very brief doc for myself about how I got it going, so I'll take a look when I get home and see if I can help...

The hacked PPjoy virtual joystick is great - previously I had issues with other joysticks appearing as the first controller, but now I no longer need to disconnect my joystick physically then plug it in after the game has started...
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Ok, heres what I did that worked in the end.

Firstly, I followed the instructions you can find here:

http://wiki.mechlivinglegends.net/index ... _joysticks

I also wrote myself this quick note about what I did:

1) run dseo as admin
2) turn on 'test mode'
3) reboot
4) test mode should appear in bottom right corner of desktop
5) install PPJoy as admin
6) Extract files from lowid hack over existing files
7) reinstall those files, using either the method in their readme, or go to device manager, find the (!) not working drivers, and 'update' them - that should do them all at once
8) run dseo to turn on and off test mode if you want

This doesn't include reboots mentioned in the wiki link etc, this was just some quick notes for myself in future.
Steps 7-8 refer to to the ppjoy lowid hack (not sure if theres a homepage, I think I got it off some rapidshare link, just google for those 3 words and you should find it. If not, I can up my copy). I advise running this hack as it makes PPJoy much more useable.

I used these files:

deso13b.exe (dseo)
ppjoy-lowid-hack.zip (lowid hack)
ppjoysetup-0-8-4-6.exe (ppjoy install)

Good luck.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

@Wired nice work! Really strange that you needed to go through all that crap, I only put it in test mode and then installed it as admin. Hope it helps madascanbe!
madascanbe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by madascanbe »

Thank you to both of you for your help. It has now installed, hallelujah.

A quick question. Now it is installed and my PC is now in test mode(open to more abuse) can i close test mode and re-enable UAC levels when I'm not using PPJoy then when i need to use PPJoy just switch back to test mode.
I'm only asking out of laziness and the fact of all them reboots :D

Once again thank you.

P.S. I remember doing all the steps in that link. The only difference was using ppjoysetup-0-8-4-6(5)
madascanbe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by madascanbe »

CyberVillain wrote:@Wired nice work! Really strange that you needed to go through all that crap, I only put it in test mode and then installed it as admin. Hope it helps madascanbe!
I seem to remember reading somewhere that some windows 7 versions can run 32 bit software in native XP mode whereas home premium can not, may have something to do with that.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Good to hear you got it going madascanbe. I think some of the other versions of PPJoy just dont work on 64 bit despite being supposed to. I had major issues the first 2 times I tried to get it going under 64bit.

I believe you can reenable UAC without issues. I dont know if you can run PPJoy without test mode being active after you have installed it. You can turn test mode on and off easily enough, but I just left it running in the end I think. Let us know if you end up being able to turn test mode off and still keep it running...
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I think i read somewhere that you will break the ppJoy driver install if you reboot without Testmode and then you need to redo it again. But I'm not sure, try it! :D

Did,
FreePIE > ppJoy > Game

work allright for you?
madascanbe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by madascanbe »

Once again thanks for your help

Turn UAC back on it still works.
Setup in game works but it stutters when i move my head, it's a bit jerky when running 3 screens but works well in a small window of 1920x1080. I think it's because the game is running all 4 CPU's @ 99% and it isn't leaving anything for head tracking program or freetrack.

As for test mode I have put the OS back to normal for the weekend(my son visits) and will update you if it has broke the driver on Monday when i turn test mode back on so for now thank you.
fenwick
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fenwick »

Are there any plans to implement MIDI?

I know that was a big draw of GlovePIE, and I was personally just looking for a glovepie alternative to handle MIDI.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I dont have a Midi device so it would be hard for me, you don't have any coding experience? I would be more than happy to help you get started on a midi plugin.
fenwick wrote:Are there any plans to implement MIDI?

I know that was a big draw of GlovePIE, and I was personally just looking for a glovepie alternative to handle MIDI.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Thanks to CyberRascal we will receive menu shortcuts in next release, a long needed feature. Yuu will be able to start script by F5 etc..

This might sound as a easy thing to implement but its not in WPF ;)
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

New version, fixes various stability issues
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Lets move the stopping info/event talk here so we dont clutter the sample script thread, I will look at this when i get home from work. Do you have C# so you can compile from GIthub or do you use the msi install version?
logicalChimp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by logicalChimp »

MSI only - never got the hang of MS dev tools... :D
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

logicalChimp wrote:MSI only - never got the hang of MS dev tools... :D
stopping is now added, but its only commited to Github so you need VS to build it. So you have to wait for a while, cant release a new install for each thing we fix :D
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

@logicalChimp

Here is a version with stopping adding, just replace the dll in the FreePIE 0.4.236 install folder
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
logicalChimp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by logicalChimp »

Awesome - thanks

I'll give this a test shortly, let you know how it goes...

I pressume for stopping, it's just a case of defining 'if stopping:', the same as for starting?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

logicalChimp wrote:Awesome - thanks

I'll give this a test shortly, let you know how it goes...

I pressume for stopping, it's just a case of defining 'if stopping:', the same as for starting?
Yepp, stopping is the correct name
logicalChimp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by logicalChimp »

Hi

Just trying to test this on the work laptop (will try from home later), but FreePIE crashes on startup. Specifically, double-clicking the 'freepie.exe' makes the machine think for a bit (but nothing appears on screen), then a standard windows dialog appears saying 'FreePIE.GUI has stopped working', with 'Close the program' as the only option. This happens whether I run it as myself, or as Administrator, and both before and after replacing the core DLL with the one above)

Is there anyway to enable a debug log or similar, so that I can try to track down the cause?

Machine specs: Lenovo Thinkpad T420, Win7 64bit, lots of 'enterprise' security crap, .Net 4.0 (fully updated). FreePIE installed without errors into c:\freepie.

It's probably something to do with all the enterprise 'security' crap that the support guys install (and which we are not permitted to remove/disable), including full symantec security suite, cisco network security, etc. If it is, then I'll have to give up on running it in the office - but it would be nice to confirm (and have something I can twit the support team with) before I give up.

Edit: I've just downloaded the vcredist_x64 from microsoft and installed it (just in case) - no change.

Edit 2: Just found the event view (d'oh) - There are two exceptions for the FreePIE crash. First, is a .Net runtime exception:
Application: FreePIE.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException
Stack:
at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.RewrapException(System.Exception, System.Xaml.IXamlLineInfo, System.Uri)
at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(System.Xaml.XamlReader, System.Xaml.IXamlObjectWriterFactory, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriterSettings, System.Uri)
at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.LoadBaml(System.Xaml.XamlReader, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.Permissions.XamlAccessLevel, System.Uri)
at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.LoadBaml(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Windows.Application.LoadComponent(System.Object, System.Uri)
at FreePIE.GUI.App.InitializeComponent()
at FreePIE.GUI.App.Main()

Second exception was an application exception for the death of FreePIE:
Faulting application name: FreePIE.exe, version: 0.4.237.0, time stamp: 0x50b251c2
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17651, time stamp: 0x4e211319
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000b9bc
Faulting process id: 0x15cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdd3d109c7b4cc
Faulting application path: C:\FreePIE\FreePIE.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 488a5a5a-3fc4-11e2-a914-0021cc60580e
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

logicalChimp wrote:Hi

Just trying to test this on the work laptop (will try from home later), but FreePIE crashes on startup. Specifically, double-clicking the 'freepie.exe' makes the machine think for a bit (but nothing appears on screen), then a standard windows dialog appears saying 'FreePIE.GUI has stopped working', with 'Close the program' as the only option. This happens whether I run it as myself, or as Administrator, and both before and after replacing the core DLL with the one above)

Is there anyway to enable a debug log or similar, so that I can try to track down the cause?

Machine specs: Lenovo Thinkpad T420, Win7 64bit, lots of 'enterprise' security crap, .Net 4.0 (fully updated). FreePIE installed without errors into c:\freepie.

It's probably something to do with all the enterprise 'security' crap that the support guys install (and which we are not permitted to remove/disable), including full symantec security suite, cisco network security, etc. If it is, then I'll have to give up on running it in the office - but it would be nice to confirm (and have something I can twit the support team with) before I give up.

Edit: I've just downloaded the vcredist_x64 from microsoft and installed it (just in case) - no change.

Edit 2: Just found the event view (d'oh) - There are two exceptions for the FreePIE crash. First, is a .Net runtime exception:
Application: FreePIE.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException
Stack:
at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.RewrapException(System.Exception, System.Xaml.IXamlLineInfo, System.Uri)
at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(System.Xaml.XamlReader, System.Xaml.IXamlObjectWriterFactory, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriterSettings, System.Uri)
at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.LoadBaml(System.Xaml.XamlReader, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.Permissions.XamlAccessLevel, System.Uri)
at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.LoadBaml(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Windows.Application.LoadComponent(System.Object, System.Uri)
at FreePIE.GUI.App.InitializeComponent()
at FreePIE.GUI.App.Main()

Second exception was an application exception for the death of FreePIE:
Faulting application name: FreePIE.exe, version: 0.4.237.0, time stamp: 0x50b251c2
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17651, time stamp: 0x4e211319
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000b9bc
Faulting process id: 0x15cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdd3d109c7b4cc
Faulting application path: C:\FreePIE\FreePIE.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 488a5a5a-3fc4-11e2-a914-0021cc60580e
there should be a FreePIE.log, it depends on when during startup it crashes, if it crashes too early the logging part havent been loaded.

Looks like its a problem with the that the GUI cant initilize the Views (Xaml) very strange will google on it
logicalChimp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by logicalChimp »

Hmm - where would that FreePIE.log be located? I've checked the root FreePIE folder, and it's not in there... (doesn't appear to be in the sub-folders either)
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

It should be in the FreePIE root folder, so it crashes early before loggin is hooked up. Do you have problems with other WPF apps on that machine?
logicalChimp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by logicalChimp »

Just finished testing the 'stopping' patch - works great :)

Edit: tested on the home machine (which doesn't have the problems that the works laptop does :D)

Return to “FreePIE”