The Sony HMD is real!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: The Sony HMD is real!

Post by pierreye »

If brantlew had tested the DC converter than I would put more faith in it than the china product. Important specs that I look at is DC voltage stabilization and over/under voltage protection. Haven't tested the DC converter yet.

Anyway, I had completed the ski goggle mod with 2 additional screw at the side for tilt adjustment. I should get a longer screw but current setup is good enough and very sturdy. The top part is still using double sided tape. Jump a few times and the hmz-t1 doesn't move at all.

CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I bought the one that pierreye linked to, gotta try :D
So no one have actually tried powering this of a 5volt source yet? Theres a possibility you can damage the switched PSU in the HMZ box
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@pierreye: Looking good.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I tried to power the unit off the lab-PSU at work, and at the welcome screen the glasses and box used 1.4A = 7.84W @ 5.6V.
But I forgot to feed it with a HDMI signal while connected to the PSU and I guess the power usage can rise a bit when it has to process a HDMI signal.

My plan is to remove the 220Volt PSU from the box entirely and replace it with the DC-DC stepdown I bought from ebay, this way I can use a 12Volt DC brick when using the HMD for gaming, and a 11.1 volt Lipo battery when using it for FPV flying
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Looking forward to your voltage mod. Anyway, I had ski goggle mark over my face after 2 hours. Did I over tighten the strap?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Hehe, maybe, does it have to be really tight not to tip over from the weight? You might have to add an extra strap over the head then :/
Is it better to wear than the stock design for long hours, not done with mine so havent tested
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Loosen the strap and add a counter weight from the middle. Feel much more comfortable and no pressure on the face.
SDM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SDM »

I wanted/needed the HMZ lenses/screens closer to my eyes, so the lexan of the goggles actually mounts to the other/opposite side of the two (built in to HMZ) mount points atop than you have it pierreye. It overlaps more of the top of the HMZ assembly of course, so to do this, need to either cut the HMZ plastic, or need a wider cutout up top in the goggle lexan -looking something like this to clear the HMZs curved plastic front piece/lip:
.....____________________
......\ ........Cutout .........../
.......!...........___...........!
.......!_____/...... \_____!

I opted for the latter, cutting the goggle "glass" to allow for clearance. This will move the screens/lenses closer to the eyes, the perfect clearance in my my case. Can just let the curved goggle glass sit "naturally" over the top of the HMZ unit (what I do), or opt to direct it between several bushing stubs that will move the screens a bit further away again (like the middle ground between the way I have it and the way you have it now).

This reduces the moment arm a bit too, brings the CG of the unit closer to your face/goggles, so could reduce counterweight needs (I don't use or need any). Other things you can do to lighten everything, but the above is mainly about getting the screens closer to your eyes. Very much wanted/needed in my case, don't know if you are happy with the lens to eye distance you have now or not.

Latest other change I did was the turnbuckles. Goggles are meant to flex a bit to conform to different faces, even flex a bit bit just taking them on/off. My turnbuckles were mounted to the frame (rather than to the goggle glass as pierreye has it), which allowed a tad bit of flex, but this made the turnbuckles very hard to adjust on the fly depending on how the goggles were positioned. Could see the turnbuckles needed a bit of pivot room (ideally) to remove any stress from both the HMZ unit and the goggle frame. So, I dumped the turnbuckles and went with small ball links/connectors and threaded rods instead. On HMZ side, ball links are bolted on types, not meant to be removable. Goggle side ball links/connectors are the snap on/off style, easily popped off, given a few turns to adjust (while actually wearing) if/as needed. Once again, got all bits from a local RC shop.

Anyway, once new setup is worn, positioned on your face, still gives a 4 point mounting system just the same, new ball link setup just allows MUCH easier adjustment, things to flex/pivot to relieve any strain on any parts, allows the goggles to "adapt" to different faces more as they "naturally" would for best comfort.

Hope that makes any sense, will post pics to make this all clear if anyone is interested.
-Steve
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

A picture is worth a thousand words :D

Manage to trim down the plastic further and mount the lens around 5 mm nearer to the eye. With some adjustment on the tilt, I manage to get very good focus. Still need the counterweight for best comfort but leave some mark on the face after 2 hours of usage. :lol:
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Nice work!

I have trouble finding a nice AC-DC brick that has atleast 2A for a justified price, I'm thinking about picking this up. What do you guys think about the idea to skip the stock 220Volt PSU and go DC all the way?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-3A-AC-DC-Ad ... 256c68c631
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

I wouldn't trust that ebay psu. Cheap PSU's have a habbit of failing in a way that takes whatever they are connected to with them.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Also, that brick is 12v. The HMZ-T1 needs 5v.

Personally, I don't think there is much reason to convert to DC input unless you will be using batteries.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

5.6V to be exact, its going to be used with a DC-DC step down, 11.1 Lipo for FPV and 12V AC-DC for gaming

edit: the DC-DC step down is variable so I could as well use a 7 or 9V AC-DC adapter, but looks like the 12V versions are the ones most common to output more than 1A

edit2: Bob, in a DC-DC scenario thats impossible
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I just tested the HMZ with the China DC-DC stepdown mentioned earlier and a 3A 12Volt brick and also with a 11.1 Lipo battery, works very well. It was a little hard tuning in 5.6 Volts on the stepdown, but once I got it right it was very stable, and since its switched it doesnt matter what input voltage I give it (12Volt from DC brick or 11.1 from Lipo battery) it will always output 5.6 volts.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

@CyberVillain: Nice work. You have a ski goggle mod, right?. Does that fix the "sweet spot" problem by locking the unit into a stable orientation or do you still have issues with focus moving in and out at the edges?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

brantlew wrote:@CyberVillain: Nice work. You have a ski goggle mod, right?. Does that fix the "sweet spot" problem by locking the unit into a stable orientation or do you still have issues with focus moving in and out at the edges?
Im ashamed to admit it but my HMD has been in a shelf for the last month, but, i have finally found a guy with a CNC rig that can help me fizz the mounting base for the optics, so this weekend I hope to come very far on completing this. I really want to try flying my AR Drone with this baby before winter :D

I have just tried it with a cardboard prototype base, (Still very stable) and I got focus right away, I didnt try it long enough to give a real review, but it felt very nice right away. Pierreye should have more info about this since he too have done the Ski goggles mod
VRon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VRon »

Hi, i'm new.

I dont really understand why some peoples have comfort problems, because i use it one with light-blockers and i can play with it like 12h on 3D PC gaming.

Maybe it's because i have Serial model 200xxxxx ?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

VRon wrote:Hi, i'm new.

I dont really understand why some peoples have comfort problems, because i use it one with light-blockers and i can play with it like 12h on 3D PC gaming.

Maybe it's because i have Serial model 200xxxxx ?
Or you have an unusual head shape? :P
space123321
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by space123321 »

Apparently there is a new 200xxxxxx version that has better sound and less pixelation overseas... also the weight is more distributed (can any one confirm this as I am just taking comments from another forum)? I called my local store (Canada) and they had not heard anything about this however they did mention that they are expecting to receive informaiton regarding an updated version for the fall? They told me to call back in a few weeks - here is hoping for a more comfortable design as well as 1080p... man oh man, this is going to make my final decision to order the st1080 that much more dificult lol!!!

EDIT - sounds like this is BS after reviewing the comments again - sorry!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I'm sorry, I love the HMZ, but its got to be the most uncomfortable consumer electronic device ever built. I feel like they are going to force prisoners in Guantanamo Bay to wear this thing day in and day out playing episodes of Barney just for the hell of it. Its that bad.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Yupp totally unusable without modding...

Hopefully I can get my mounting based fizzed tomorrow, and after that it wouldnt be far until my ski goggles mod is complete.

The mounting base will look like this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

CyberVillain wrote:
brantlew wrote:@CyberVillain: Nice work. You have a ski goggle mod, right?. Does that fix the "sweet spot" problem by locking the unit into a stable orientation or do you still have issues with focus moving in and out at the edges?
Im ashamed to admit it but my HMD has been in a shelf for the last month, but, i have finally found a guy with a CNC rig that can help me fizz the mounting base for the optics, so this weekend I hope to come very far on completing this. I really want to try flying my AR Drone with this baby before winter :D

I have just tried it with a cardboard prototype base, (Still very stable) and I got focus right away, I didnt try it long enough to give a real review, but it felt very nice right away. Pierreye should have more info about this since he too have done the Ski goggles mod
Been using the ski goggles mod for one month plus. Recently just finished Alan Wake using HMD which is a good game. The mod does make the HMD easier to wear and get better focus (almost perfect focus from edge to egde). I believe part of the reason is with tilt adjustment you can get better focus compare to stock. But I still have the goggles mark over my face and need a counterweight to make it more comfortable.
Squall12
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Squall12 »

Hi all,

just join and wanted to said big thanks to pierreye which help me mod my hmz (Helmet type) and i did some small adjustment to it and now i got a perfect hmz device that i can get almost 100% clear picture only a bit blur on the right edge but not so noticeable and hopefully in future we can get a better hmz that have bigger fov and maybe 4k display optic.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

What kind of batteries are you guys using? Im thinking about getting this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-4V-5000mAh-30 ... 4aa353e070

Its a 5000 mAh battery, so should give me about 2.5 hours (Only measured the current on the Sony at the welcome screeen and it used 1.5A so probably around 2A when processing a 3D signal)
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Squall12 wrote:Hi all,

just join and wanted to said big thanks to pierreye which help me mod my hmz (Helmet type) and i did some small adjustment to it and now i got a perfect hmz device that i can get almost 100% clear picture only a bit blur on the right edge but not so noticeable and hopefully in future we can get a better hmz that have bigger fov and maybe 4k display optic.
Glad that you are happy with the HMD. In the future, I just want a unit with replaceable lens that can change the FOV depending on the needs.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

CyberVillain wrote:What kind of batteries are you guys using? Im thinking about getting this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-4V-5000mAh-30 ... 4aa353e070

Its a 5000 mAh battery, so should give me about 2.5 hours (Only measured the current on the Sony at the welcome screeen and it used 1.5A so probably around 2A when processing a 3D signal)
I would get the energizer XP8000 or XP18000 (if you need to power your wireless receiver). I believe Energizer XP series battery come with built-in regulator that even at lower charge, it'll still output stable voltage before total cutoff when the juice run out.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Yeah, don't use that battery. It needs a balance charger, and is all kinds of dangerous unless you have it hooked up to a protection/regulation board like it would be attached to in an RC vehicle (The intended purpose).

The XP18000 is a bit more, but it is very well made, and known to work with a lot of different hardware.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Off course, charging it without a balancer is just stupid :D

I have a DC-DC stepdown, it can take a Voltage from 7.1 to 35 Volts and output 5.6 Volts (HMZ voltage)

edit: 100 Dollars on evil bay for the XP8000, i'll pass :D, is it an American product? Cant find it in Swedish stores
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I looked on the specs for the XP 8000 mah and just a little warning, it has a maxium of 2A output, this is cutting it very close to what the SOny needs (The Sony specs says 15W = 2.67A)
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Done some work on my mod, my friend has a little china made CNC rig, the precision isnt the best and his very unexperienced working with it so we did some mistakes, one fatal one that destroyed a drill and also made some damage to the mounting base, you can see the damage in the top left part of the mounting base.

Also found some design flaws, so going to do a V2 this week

The Regulator im going to use to make the Sony mobile requires cooling if the ampere is greater than 2A, I had some VRAM heatsinks laying around from a GFX cooler package, perfect fit
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Very nice.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

CyberVillain wrote:I looked on the specs for the XP 8000 mah and just a little warning, it has a maxium of 2A output, this is cutting it very close to what the SOny needs (The Sony specs says 15W = 2.67A)
That is why you should use the XP18000, not the XP8000. ;) You are right about that other battery, as long as you know what you are doing you will be fine, and it looks like you do! I am always wary of telling people to use them, I run a forum that has had several members buy cheap li-po packs, not protected or charged them properly, and then blown things up in flames.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

PalmerTech wrote:
CyberVillain wrote:I looked on the specs for the XP 8000 mah and just a little warning, it has a maxium of 2A output, this is cutting it very close to what the SOny needs (The Sony specs says 15W = 2.67A)
That is why you should use the XP18000, not the XP8000. ;) You are right about that other battery, as long as you know what you are doing you will be fine, and it looks like you do! I am always wary of telling people to use them, I run a forum that has had several members buy cheap li-po packs, not protected or charged them properly, and then blown things up in flames.
Yea, lipos are dangerous, I always charge mine in a Lipo charger bag which is fire proof (And before I got a bag I used a saucepan with lid :D), never had an indecent, knock on wood. By the way the XP 8000 and XP18000 uses Lipos so basically they are just a Lipo + balancer/charger + volt regulator in a kit. So you have the same problems there, but I guess the casing of the XP is fireproof so you dont need the charger bag...
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Yeah, the casing is really nice. Having a variety of different voltage outputs at the same time is another cool benefit, and the battery meter is useful for knowing when your kit needs to be charged.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

PalmerTech wrote:Yeah, the casing is really nice. Having a variety of different voltage outputs at the same time is another cool benefit, and the battery meter is useful for knowing when your kit needs to be charged.
True, but you still need a regulator to get the 5.6 for the Sony. Nice with the meter, im planning to use a Lipo meter I have laying around.. But those are all valid points, but its an expensive product :D
technotica
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by technotica »

Hi!

I just got my hmz-t1 two days ago, I love the immersion when playing games like WipeoutHD in 3d on my PS3 (awesome!) but working on my Computer the blurriness on the edges is a bit annoying.

So I thought if I got me a TrackIR5 maybe I could set up Windows 7 so that when I move my head the desktop moves? So that if I move my head the part of the window that isn't in focus moves to the center?

I know you can link the TrackIR to move the cursor but that wouldn't move the window would it?

And to attach the reflective patch to the hmz-t1 I'd need some kind of mount so the patch will be sitting vertically on the device right? I can't just put it onto the hmd?

Does anyone have any experience with TrackIR? Is it a good headtracker? Or would Viuzix or some other work better with the hmz-t1?

I also read just yesterday that the mz-t1 has a very high latency, is that true? I haven't noticed anything yet but I was wondering how much better the ST1080 is for gaming if its so much faster in the latency department.
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mayaman »

I have a brand new comfort mod that is way better than my first, doesn't alter the HMZ, and is reversible. I'll be posting it this weekend. :D
suckmysound
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by suckmysound »

bit off topic ! here comes SXGA OLED HMD on ebay
=================================================================================
refer here :zSight SXGA HMD.
Key Features Include:

* Bright, crisp, high-contrast OLED displays .
* High resolution full-color SXGA (1280x1024) pixels per eye.
* Patent-pending user-selectable usage modes:
o 60º field of view with 100% binocular overlap - for plug-and-play use
o 70º field of view with 75% binocular overlap - for wider field of view
* Integrated yaw/pitch/roll tracker. Tracker information is provided over USB.
* Integrated high-quality stereo audio and microphone.
* Digital video inputs. Operates with single or dual HDMI/DVI inputs. HDMI inputs can also carry stereo audio.
* Innovative “movie mode” allows widescreen viewing of 1680x1050 input signals across both eyes.
* Lightweight, low profile and comfortable: 450 grams (less than 1lb)
* Accepts +5V DC or USB power input.
* Optional battery operation (battery pack not included)

Specifications:

Field of view

User-configurable:
60° with 100% binocular overlap
70° with 75% binocular overlap

Display SXGA 1280x1024 full-color pixels per eye
OLED technology
Single display per eye
Contrast ratio: better than 10000:1
Lumnance: 150 fL
Color depth: 24 bit
Binocular or bi-ocular (auto sensing)

Video input

Single or dual HDMI 60 Hz.
Supported resolutions:

* SXGA 1280x1024
* HD720P 1280x720
* WSXGA+ 1680x1050

Also supports side-by-side 3D such as those in http://www.youtube.com/3d

Audio

Stereo sound
Integrated microphone
Audio input via input jack or embedded in HDMI signal

DC in

+5DV, less than 4W
AC adapter supplied.

Weight and size HMD weight:450 gram
Cable breakout box: 5x10x2 cm (2x4x1 inch), 50 gram

Display adjustment -4 to +4 individual diopter adjustment
Eye relief:16 mm
IPD: 54 to 72 mm

Integrated tracker Degrees of freedom: yaw/pitch/roll
Interface: USB
Sampling frequency: approx 125Hz
Pitch/roll accuracy: 0.75°

Battery option Rechargeable Lithium Ion.
2 hrs typical between charges.
Battery pack not included.
====================================================================================
the weight of headset is about the same as HMZ however the FOV is user-configurable [dunno how?] and it's usb powered with HDMI input possible.
and notice the control box [see link] nice but the price is a downer.
but definitely worth consideration for VR enthusiast who want immersion at the cost of resolution.

listed here : http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 0756107707

Damm! cannot they bring the price down to usd$1000.

funny part - the video input :see how FULL HD is conspicuous by it's absence. and limited 3d formats side-by-side only supported for video input resolutions

more surprising was - Sensics have their ebay store.

comparing this - HMZ still a nice choice despite comfort/optics issues.
Only if they bring in the version 2 [V2.0] - if they 'd.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@suckmysound: Thats a $12,000 HMD. Not even in the same league as a $800 consumer product.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

cybereality wrote:@suckmysound: Thats a $12,000 HMD. Not even in the same league as a $800 consumer product.
Im not paying for half a car for a HMD :D If we could get a "90+ FOV, OLED 1080p, out of the box 3d vision support"-consumer product I would gladly pay 2000 dollars, but somewhere around there is my limit for a HMD

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”