Oculus compatible camera - look at yourself?

Diorama
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Oculus compatible camera - look at yourself?

Post by Diorama »

Would it be possible to make a stereoscopic camera system, with lenses that pre-distort the image exactly for the Rift?

If so, would it be possible to put this camera on a puppet-handle while viewing live on the Rift?

You could point it at yourself and actually SEE yourself. And not like a mirror, like standing next to YOU.

Even pre-record a video of yourself sitting and talking at a table, with the camera at head height opposite you. Then go around the table, put on the Rift and sit exactly where the camera was. As long as you kept your head still, you could experience yourself as others do :woot

Might be good for interview practice? Social skills practice for someone with autism? Practicing sleight of hand for magicians?
phort99
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Oculus compatible camera - look at yourself?

Post by phort99 »

Personally I don't see how that's any more effective than a mirror. As soon as I see myself in the mirror, I change my expression/posture to look the way I think I should look, but I can't help falling back into old habits otherwise.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

phort99 wrote:Personally I don't see how that's any more effective than a mirror. As soon as I see myself in the mirror, I change my expression/posture to look the way I think I should look, but I can't help falling back into old habits otherwise.
Well, the difference is that to see yourself in a mirror you have to look at yourself - with the setup described above, you could turn your head in any direction and still see yourself, allowing you to view yourself from any angle. Try looking at the back/side of your head with a mirror!
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

phort99 wrote:Personally I don't see how that's any more effective than a mirror. As soon as I see myself in the mirror, I change my expression/posture to look the way I think I should look, but I can't help falling back into old habits otherwise.
It's less effective of course, I'm not suggesting that anyone build this setup just to style their hair! :D

But it might be nice to 'see' yourself, meet yourself from the viewpoint of another person. What if it was a HMC, a wearable camera so that you can see what someone else is seeing in realtime, in stereoscopic 3d?

Imagine sitting at your computer desk wearing the Rift as somebody wearing the camera walks into the room. Imagine walking into a room and seeing yourself sitting in that room at a PC!
I think it might create an odd 'out-of-body' experience.
phort99
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by phort99 »

TheHolyChicken wrote:Try looking at the back/side of your head with a mirror!
Two mirrors? Just sayin'.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

phort99 wrote:
TheHolyChicken wrote:Try looking at the back/side of your head with a mirror!
Two mirrors? Just sayin'.
The idea is that you can move and look in any direction, at any orientation, and yet still see yourself from a new perspective - regardless of where you were looking. You can't do that with mirrors, because you always need to be looking at the mirror.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
alekki
Cross Eyed!

Post by alekki »

This is something I would like to try as well. It would be cool to have a real out of body experience. Trying to live in a 3rd person perspective might be interesting as well.

The biggest problem is the camera. It would have to support stereoscopic 3d (or you would have to use two separate cameras), have a high resolution, and most importantly a FOV high enough for Rift. I don't know if there is an off the shelf camera like this.
yautjacetanu
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yautjacetanu »

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/visitmu ... mbies.aspx

I went to this exhibition at the science museum on sunday. It was aimed at adults so was pretty awesome and there was some really indepth scientisty stuff. Anyway one of the exihibitions was by from Imperial scientists who let you have an "out of body experience". They put the Sony headset on you and had a Kinect looking at you. You then held this Right andle folded card with a set of black and white squares on it. They had a camera on headset so it gave you pass-through AR.

It was quite cool. You could see a 3d image of yourself sitting on your chair on the card. The image looked like a hologram floating on top of the bottom of the card with the other bit behind it. If you moved the card around or rotated it it would move with the card and if you tried to grap yourself it would go away.

However it was a real time image of you so if you moved you could see yourself moving at loads of different angles.

I mainly did it because I've never tried a headset before and I've heard the oculus rift is more mind blowing for people who have been let down by other headsets.
LNQ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LNQ »

With an Oculus compatible camera I would be MUCH more intersted in attaching it on a turret mount in a RC drone. Flying around in the actual world with VR goggles would be incredibly surreal.
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

LNQ wrote:With an Oculus compatible camera I would be MUCH more intersted in attaching it on a turret mount in a RC drone. Flying around in the actual world with VR goggles would be incredibly surreal.
Yeah, or attach it to the front of a car, then sit in the back of the car while your friend drives. You wouldnt get motion sickness too much as the movement you sense and what you see would mostly match up.

ALSO, if the left and right camera were on each headlamp, you could see what the world is like with the IPD of a car. Would perspective change? would big things look much smaller, like a tilt-shift video?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

LNQ wrote:With an Oculus compatible camera I would be MUCH more intersted in attaching it on a turret mount in a RC drone. Flying around in the actual world with VR goggles would be incredibly surreal.
FPV video with head tracking pan and tilt camera:

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UCdl_C3FPI[/youtube-hd]
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

The 3D-Cam FPV

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php ... cts_id=393

dual rotation motorized mounts are out there...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Adb1HMXTM[/youtube]

If I was to build one of these, I'd try and build it with as an extended a range as is possible.

Then, accidentally go over the local Base. Whoops.

I'd put call numbers, Id numbers/letters on it. That when the given Base folks used binos to try and read it, it would decipher to what the passerby said to Dick Cheney.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpO9p-s6HmI

Which was beautifully spoofed by robot chicken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQeEyFzKyLg
Last edited by KBK on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
moralis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by moralis »

LOL! That was way cool! Dogfight with an attacking bird. He managed to get on the bird's six at around 6:06 into the video.

Return to “Oculus VR”