Should I order or should i not?

pAnatiC
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Should I order or should i not?

Post by pAnatiC »

przecinek wrote:
pAnatiC wrote:What do you guys think will be the total cost for shipping, taxes - just everything to germany?
Just to let you know. Shipping costs are $100 ($99 to be exact) so you won't be spending $300 but $400.
There has been discussion about taxes. In short : who knows. Maybe you won't have to pay anything, maybe you'll have to pay a lot.

If you have remorse or second thoughts ... I guess you should wait. I like many others have not even thought for split second if I should buy it or not, I would simply die of envy when having to watch all those videos of people with DEV kits praising Oculus.
Whoa! Thats a lot!
100$ shipping hoooly poop.. :(
And ya, the texas. who knosws.

Thats really way more then expected.. :(
Dakor
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Dakor »

I personally calculate with around ~350€ incuding taxes etc.

Back then I payed 345$ = 275€ including shipment to Germany.
Now sales tax is 0.19% which would be around 52€. And UPS wants some Money for handling the import for you etc ~15$ (11€) ?
I never imported something like this so far thus I have no idea what additional coasts there will be but I guess ~350€(+-) is what you have to expect..

There is this other Thread where they talked about this topic I can't find it right now but the topic was something about changing from UPS to another Service.
Last edited by Dakor on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
jaybug
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by jaybug »

przecinek wrote:Just to let you know. Shipping costs are $100 ($99 to be exact) so you won't be spending $300 but $400.
Shipping costs depend on where you ship. It's $57 to germany.
pAnatiC
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pAnatiC »

Dakor wrote:I personally calculate with around ~350€ incuding taxes etc.

Back then I payed 345$ = 275€ including shipment to Germany.
Now sales tax is 0.19% which would be around 52€. And UPS wants some Money for handling the import for you etc ~15$ (11€) ?
I never imported something like this so far thus I have no idea what additional coasts there will be but I guess ~350€(+-) is what you have to expect..

There is this other Thread where they talked about this topic I can't find it right now but the topic was something about changing from UPS to another Service.
Okay, thats quite a lot. But i guess it SHOULD BE worth it..
ElMatarife
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ElMatarife »

MSat wrote: Ok, so I read a little bit about the USB spec.. The 1000Hz limit stems from the fact that a device operating in "Full speed" mode configured for interrupt transfer can be polled at a max rate of once per millisecond. So, yeah, this shouldn't saturate the bus even if it's connected to a USB hub, and since every device is enumerated separately and the driver loaded for each device, in theory you could have multiple trackers attached and not have a problem. The burden would be placed on the software to appropriately handle each device. So it is technically possible.
There's a few gaming mice that "overclock" the USB ports to 2000Hz. Personally, I've found that the Razer mice software breaks iTunes sync with iPods in the past. I suspect "playing with" the specs of USB isn't a great idea if you want to plug devices in and have them work without any issues. USB is just too critical to mess with I think.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Innerupzz iz tricky biznezz

Personally, I like Morse Code and 100 miles of line. Solves a lot of problems.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
bugnguts
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bugnguts »

I ordered mine last night. After seeing Cyberreality get hired on I felt comfortable Oculus will strongly support the community. I really enjoyed tweaking and playing around with Skyrim to get it to perform better on 3D Vision.
LNQ wrote:To give another point of view, I could swing the $300 + additional costs easily and I'm awaiting this revolution of VR like the second coming, but I'm not going to get the dev kit as I don't want the "beta effect" to spoil my first impression. You know, the problem that you've beta tested a game to death, experienced tons of bugs and iterations of the game, causing you to enjoy the final game much less.

I want my Oculus experience to be intact and polished when I put the goggles on. If I get an opportunity to test a dev kit for a few minutes, sure I'll do it. But I will probably not get one myself.
I'm at the opposite side where I appreciate the game more through all the troubleshooting. Don't quote me while I'm banging my head on a particularly difficult problem.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

ElMatarife wrote:
MSat wrote: Ok, so I read a little bit about the USB spec.. The 1000Hz limit stems from the fact that a device operating in "Full speed" mode configured for interrupt transfer can be polled at a max rate of once per millisecond. So, yeah, this shouldn't saturate the bus even if it's connected to a USB hub, and since every device is enumerated separately and the driver loaded for each device, in theory you could have multiple trackers attached and not have a problem. The burden would be placed on the software to appropriately handle each device. So it is technically possible.
There's a few gaming mice that "overclock" the USB ports to 2000Hz. Personally, I've found that the Razer mice software breaks iTunes sync with iPods in the past. I suspect "playing with" the specs of USB isn't a great idea if you want to plug devices in and have them work without any issues. USB is just too critical to mess with I think.

I think the 1000Hz max "interrupt" rate might only be part of the HID spec, but it's probably not a hard rule. If a faster rate is needed, then it could be done by utilizing USB High Speed rather than Full Speed. Regardless, most sensors don't operate that fast, so 1KHz is probably plenty.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Oh. I gots an ideer. me fix! me fix!

(the problem has not yet shown it's face. But it will. Nip it in the bud, I say)

(I'm going to let this sit for a few days, while I research it...I found an entire market category, and I have to decide what I want to do with it.)
Last edited by KBK on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
LNQ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LNQ »

bugnguts wrote:I'm at the opposite side where I appreciate the game more through all the troubleshooting. Don't quote me while I'm banging my head on a particularly difficult problem.
Let's make a deal. I will forget your post if you forget the post you quoted me on as I now tell you that it took me this long to cave. ;)

After the idea of getting a kit in a few months instead of waiting in all likelihood well over half a year to get a taste of the revolution I have been waiting for for years on end, there was no stopping me. This is different than beta testing a game, I told myself. This is taking a part of something more important. Who knows, maybe I'll get inspired by tinkering with the thing.

JoeReMi
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by JoeReMi »

After playing games for 30 years, I think this is gonna be huge. Can't wait to try even an early version.
# 045469
It's gonna be a long few months....
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

If you order it will be trouble, but if you don't it will be double.

Return to “Oculus VR”