Difference between Kinect to xbox and PC?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Difference between Kinect to xbox and PC?

Post by virror »

What exactly are the differences between the kinect for the xbox and PC? I know the PC version has a near mode, but what about the SDK and that kind of stuff. If i wanted to make some kinect experiments in windows, can i use a xbox kinect or do i have to buy the PC version to be able to use "its full power"?
Flassan
Cross Eyed!

Re: Difference between Kinect to xbox and PC?

Post by Flassan »

Hi virror
You can use the original XBox version of Kinect with a Windows PC and the latest SDK v1.6.
It works pretty well. I've just done some tests with Garry's Mod which is quite fun to play with too.
If you want a copy of my modified skeletalviewer sample app for Crysis, Mirror's Edge etc. lemme know
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Cool, since there is a huge price difference between them : )
If i buy one i might contact you, nice that you want to share for the greater of VR ; )
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

I think you need a power adapter too unless it came with one. The xbox usb cable is slightly too big.
Flassan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Flassan »

Oh, I didn't find that. I pre-ordered mine and it seems to work fine with both the XBox and PCs.
The power adapter came with it. They've sold over 20 million so there seem to be quite a few on eBay.
If you know someone who owns one they may well lend it to you because for forward only use while facing the telly they are a bit limited so they may well not be using it.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Will probably pick one up on ebay, sees there are plenty there and very cheap.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

I have seen complaints about how far you need to stand from the Kinect. We have a local surplus store that is selling an after-market snap on magnifier, which has a lens over the Kinect visible and IR cameras and over the IR light source. The box says it lets you play much closer to the Kinect, for use in smaller rooms. They want $15USD at the local surplus store (which seems a bit expensive for an open-box item like they have). I see that the new price is about $30:
http://www.nyko.com/products/product-detail/?name=Zoom

There are other companies making Kinect magnifiers as well.

I am curious if using the Kinect magnifier would make it fill the gap between a normal Kinect and a leap motion sensor...

Although the Kinect does skeletal tracking whereas the leap is optimized for hand and finger tracking.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Interesting, never heard of that before, but as i want to use it for full body tracking i dont think thats a problem for me, but i would still be interesting to try out.
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

It alows you to stand closer and fit your whole body in, kinda like a magnifying glass! I've not used it but it should allow you to stand closer which is always a good thing!
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Benjimoron wrote:It alows you to stand closer and fit your whole body in, kinda like a magnifying glass! I've not used it but it should allow you to stand closer which is always a good thing!
Actually, the opposite of a magnifying glass. It would provide a wider Field of View and a wider distribution of the IR light pattern, allowing closer full body tracking.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Exactly, never heard of a magnifying glass that made you see bigger objects : p
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

virror wrote:Exactly, never heard of a magnifying glass that made you see bigger objects : p
A magnifying glass DOES make you see bigger (magnified) objects. The add-on for the Kinect lets you stand closer to it because it sees a wider FoV (shrinks objects so more of them fit on the screen, such as more body parts when standing closer to the Kinect).

The real purpose of this Kinect add-on is to let you use the Kinect effectively in a smaller play space such as in a small bedroom, as opposed to a larger recreational or living room as it now requires. To do this it must provide a wide-angle view using a negative meniscus (concave) lens, which is the opposite of typical "reading glasses" or "magnifying lenses".
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

geekmaster wrote:
Benjimoron wrote:It alows you to stand closer and fit your whole body in, kinda like a magnifying glass! I've not used it but it should allow you to stand closer which is always a good thing!
Actually, the opposite of a magnifying glass. It would provide a wider Field of View and a wider distribution of the IR light pattern, allowing closer full body tracking.
Oh yeah lol!!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”