New SMI 3d glasses: Eye tracking, adjustable focus +6dof

Linkage1992
Two Eyed Hopeful

New SMI 3d glasses: Eye tracking, adjustable focus +6dof

Post by Linkage1992 »

These just got unveiled today. I'm not sure what the cost is (probably very expensive) but I wonder if some of the concepts could be integrated into a future version of the Rift?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 1OQJzDx_S4

Sorry, for some reason I can't get the youtube embedding to work.
Cathodoluminescence
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: New SMI 3d glasses: Eye tracking, adjustable focus +6dof

Post by Cathodoluminescence »

I don't really get their concept. These are shutter glasses!? So, I look at a 3D monitor with these glasses and the image shown on the display gets adjusted to where I look - perspectively or just focused on that specific objekt (everything else blurrs our)?
And what does headtracking good, when I just have for example a 20 to 30 inch display?
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Yes, i really don't get it either, the eye tracking is cool but whats the general application for this? Seems more like a gimmick thing : p
Direlight
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Direlight »

I think it's suppose to be shutter glasses + tracking for parallax. You could do the same thing with Nvision + leap and special software.

Must be very expensive, not seeing price on the website. There are some other wide FOV VR systems being worked on, but Oculus is the only company gathering developer support.

Sony, Microsoft, Google, Nvidia, and AMD might be working on VR. Sony is the most likely.
Last edited by Direlight on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

They're for CAVE setups. The head tracking allows computing of parralax (you need to do this with CAVEs anyway), the shutter glasses allow for stereo 3D, and the eye-tracking allows for extrapolation of the gaze target. The scene camera seems redundant, but maybe they intend it to be dual-use for outside of CAVEs.

It's a fairly standard setup, just integrated nicely into (nearly) one package rather than several devices glued and velcroed together as I used last I was in a CAVE.

As for applicability to the Oculus: eye-tracking would be really neat to have, but that can almost has to be bespoke anyway due to the geometry of HMD internals. The scene-camera is fairly generic, and stereo cameras of a matching FoV would be preferable. The shutter glasses are irrelevant. The tracking markers require the use of an external system (probably a Vicon or similar), so are equally irrelevant (if you have an outside-in retroreflective tracking setup, you probably have some markers lying around already).
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

it looks very stupid compared to the oculus rift

those glasses are more for fashion stuff
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Kirito wrote:it looks very stupid compared to the oculus rift

those glasses are more for fashion stuff
No, it is good. They are for VR CAVEs. CAVEs are (slightly) better than the Oculus Rift, but cost a hundred thousand dollars more and require lots of space. CAVEs also have some drawbacks, like your body always occludes virtual objects that are supposed to be in front of it. But you can't beat CAVEs for high FOV.

They have to be a little bit fashionable, because CAVEs are sometimes for multiple users to interact in naturally, and you can see each other's faces.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

I think CAVE setups will very soon be a dying breed, sure there are some applications that will still benefit from them, but as HMDs keeps improving there will be no reason for many to invest the huge money in a CAVE. Still a bit to go though.
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

How pathetic some of these Youtube comments are. "This sucks, Oculus is better!!1"
Idiots.
This member owns things.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Randomoneh wrote:How pathetic some of these Youtube comments are. "This sucks, Oculus is better!!1"
Idiots.
yeah, but also kind of indicates how far oculus went viral. Even those
youtube clowns are waiting for it.
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

colocolo wrote:
Randomoneh wrote:How pathetic some of these Youtube comments are. "This sucks, Oculus is better!!1"
Idiots.
yeah, but also kind of indicates how far oculus went viral. Even those
youtube clowns are waiting for it.
True.
This member owns things.
3dcoffee
Cross Eyed!

Post by 3dcoffee »

Where is that "eye tracking"? All I see is position/head-staring-to tracking. Or am I missing something there, and when user actualy moves his/her eyeballs --- then something changes?
Guygasm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Guygasm »

It appears to have two cameras mounted in the bottom of the frames looking up at your eyes. For gaze studies in mobile situations it is quite interesting.
alekki
Cross Eyed!

Post by alekki »

3dcoffee wrote:Where is that "eye tracking"? All I see is position/head-staring-to tracking. Or am I missing something there, and when user actualy moves his/her eyeballs --- then something changes?
Nothing has to change when the person moves his eyes. You can use eye tracking for example for research purposes, to see where people are looking at any given time.

I guess it could be used for gaming too, like as a substitute for mouse cursor or something. But I don't think eye tracking is that useful for increasing immersion in VR. There could be some limited applications if the latency of the eye tracker was extremely low, but I really don't think that's the point of eye tracking in this device.
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

alekki wrote:But I don't think eye tracking is that useful for increasing immersion in VR. There could be some limited applications if the latency of the eye tracker was extremely low, but I really don't think that's the point of eye tracking in this device.
For this device, in a CAVE environment, one of the big use cases is for physical UI interaction studies e.g. supermarket shelf layout; give someone a virtual shopping trolley (a force sensitive bar on a stand) to push about and you can study what items they look at first/most for a given layout, without having to build multiple physical mockups, in order to determine premium item placement.

For VR, with low enough latency, you can do dynamic depth-of-field to keep the gaze-point in focus while blurring foreground/background objects.
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

The three things I find interesting about gaze tracking in VR are:

(1) User interaction with objects or UI
(2) Dynamic rendering quality depending on gaze location
(3) Dynamic depth of field, as previously mentioned

2 and 3 would take super low latency though probably.

Return to “Oculus VR”