Rift on the Jimmy Fallon Show Is Confirmed

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Rift on the Jimmy Fallon Show Is Confirmed

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I agree. It was short, but that is to be expected. The great thing is that it was positive and the audience seemed impressed.
Neil

Post by Neil »

You're all crazy. Anyone who wasn't watching this in its native 120 frames per second missed out like you wouldn't believe. Seriously.

Regards,
Neil
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

So, I thought that was pretty good. I always cringe when I see video in the wrong aspect ratio, and I'm sure that it made the graphics look pretty bad to people who don't have any idea why the game footage looked like that.

I'm very happy that price, availability, etc. were not mentioned at all. Those who are interested need to put forth the effort to find about that stuff. That should definitely cut down on the amount of computer-illiterate people (the average facebook browser, console-only gamer, etc.) buying the devkit Rift.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Joshua actually mentioned at the end that they were selling to developers for $300 and they ship in March. Though it was so quick I'm not surprised you missed it.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

It was a nice little mentioning - but in the end I very much doubt that people went directly on the net to find out more or order one. I was hoping for more, it is a product at least months away from hitting the consumer market. There will be many more opportunities - in the end the device will speak for itself once a big AAA title of the must-buy variation will be playable with it.
Last edited by GeraldT on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

OK. My feed crashed when I tried to watch it the first time around. So I've just finally seen the video.

As someone who has been through this sort of television exposure thing on multiple occasions..I personally say, again, from direct experience....... that this was a terrific bit of exposure.

Period. Full stop.

You learn things. Like exposure on a tech show on a channel like CNN, can cost about $400k, at last count. But that is 60 impressions (?), IIRC.

Targeting the marketing can be bit of a challenge. The big guys go for correct targeting and saturation.

That a unique product can be coaxed into marketing itself. Simply as the thing MUST be seen through the given shows and channels for that show to be successful. The only thing that helps at that point is that financial involvement is a requisite (buying airtime), in order to control the flow and shape of the given presentation.

Media is a business, plain and simple.

If it is done right, then the media will do it for you, at little to no expense for the initial levels of exposure.
Last edited by KBK on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Actually that clip doesn't seem so bad taken out of context. Maybe I was just upset about having to watch the whole tedious unfunny show to get that little bit, or I was comparing it to their coverage of the other tech, or thinking about their clammy hands jokes. As a youtube video, it's not too bad.

I feel they missed a couple of important points that most other videos nailed. They didn't say it feels like you're actually there, they didn't say it's in 3D, they didn't say it had a much taller and wider field of view that almost surrounds you. And the stretched 2D view looked a lot worse than it actually would on a Rift. But still, it was positive and on TV.

Hopefully we'll see it on some more shows.
krimms
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by krimms »

Was it me or did I see some significant head movements on the TV? I mean it looked like he moved his head a bit too much and that would kind've ruin the experience in my book.

So if that can happen easily with Oculus Rift, and the experience isn't very smooth because of the way the head or the goggles move, then they will need to implement some kind of image stabilization. Perhaps only software image stabilization at first, but use OIS for later.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

nope. You gots to learn head stabilization, not the other way around. Any intrusion into the experience via correction, is probably going to remove the connect to your head/eyes, and that will probably result in a disconnect, or nausea.

It might be possible to add in a small amount, then none at all, as a pair of choices. ie, training wheels on, training wheels off.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Pyry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pyry »

Have you ever seen video from a head-mounted camera? People do not keep their heads stable at all, and the only reason our experience in real life seems to be smooth is because our visual system cancels out the shake and jitter (partially through eye movements, partially in the retina and brain). As long as the rift's trackers are fast and accurate enough, your visual system should be just as capable of stabilizing the rift produced images as the ones you see in real life.
Pyry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pyry »

Although, looking at the video again, it does look like the tracker might need a bit more smoothing.
eidahl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by eidahl »

Just watched it - despite all the lukewarm comments here, it actually works awesome as a short clip like mentioned above. It's just enough to make people curious (wtf?! did I see-curious) = best free advertising ever.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

The image is perfectly smooth when it is on your head. The head mounted camera example is a good one, our heads are pretty bad at staying still.
cert
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cert »

Late Night With Jimmy Fallon is ready in 2h:

http://tinypic.com/r/2znv6ec/6

(i hope it will not get deleted)

EDIT: edited video
Last edited by cert on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Watched it again,and I think more of it than I did the first time. Jimmy's reaction as they did the segment ending pull back, was very good. People (viewers) get feel and posture, not just words.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I think his initial reaction was exaggerated for comic effect but I do think he was impressed with the technology. For a mass audience, I think the segment went well. You can bore people easily talking about FOV and such. Better to just have reaction shots and light commentary.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

PalmerTech wrote:The image is perfectly smooth when it is on your head. The head mounted camera example is a good one, our heads are pretty bad at staying still.
That dynamic head movement is what provides our parallax depth cues, even if we have only one good eye. Focal depth cues add accuracy at the expense of latency.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

cert wrote:Late Night With Jimmy Fallon is ready in 2h:

http://youtu.be/qsI7NJO2H0c

That link video is flagged as a private video. Can you make it public so I can see it?
zebrastealer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zebrastealer »

Not sure why anyone would complain about that clip - it was an awesome short blurb. They introduce the product and added some humor as well, then moved along before viewers got bored. It isn't that exciting to see someone else wearing a set of VR goggles. In my opinion it was the perfect spotlight you could hope to have in that venue.
Damn! I just realized I am one of the first Users on MTBS3d. Joined April 2007 - the month after MTBS3d first opened its doors.

Occulus Rift dev kit, waiting for the release version or a good screen hack....
3 x 24 inch monitors running nVidia surround 3d
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

cert wrote:Late Night With Jimmy Fallon is ready in 2h:

http://youtu.be/qsI7NJO2H0c

Now it says "This video has been removed because it is too long".

Was it longer than the 10 minute YouTube upload limit? If so, why not just post the short one minute Oculus Rift demo segment from the show?
cert
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cert »

http://tinypic.com/r/2znv6ec/6

shorter video uploaded
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

cert wrote:http://tinypic.com/r/2znv6ec/6

shorter video uploaded
Great! Thanks! That was MUCH better than I remember it. Perhaps I was annoyed at sitting through the entire program and all those annoying commercial advertisements. Patience is not one of my virtues. I rarely watch commercial TV, but I do like 3D movies. Anyway, seeing only this tech segment fresh, without all the other fluff, makes this demo seem much more positive. There did seem to be some subtle "oohs" and ahhs" from the audience, and the "game changer" will certainly be a positive meme for the Rift (and VR in general).
BOLL
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by BOLL »

Thanks! :D From what everyone said I thought it would be horrible, but it was actually quite nice. He seemed kind of honestly baffled by the Rift compared to the other products, or is that the fanboy in me seeing things... anyway. Perhaps it wasn't so bad as I didn't have to watch the entire show :P Haven't had actual TV-channels in my home for what... 6 years.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Tough crowd. It was much better than what this thread lead me to believe. Short and sweet. Nothing negative there.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Did you guys notice how he reacted when he heard the price of that gaming tablet.... Price is even a big deal to late night shows hosts :lol: ...hopefully there is no massive price hike on the consumer rift...
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/

Return to “Oculus VR”