Locomotion attempt

BillRoeske
Cross Eyed!

Re: Locomotion attempt

Post by BillRoeske »

Popopinsel, you might want to check out this thread for some discussion on DIY omnidirectional treadmills and cyber carpet-type design:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=13784
MaterialDefender
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by MaterialDefender »

Sadly noone will believe me, but that ball based cyber carpet idea was mine, I have to insist on that. I was almost shocked (well, not really) when I saw this video some time ago. I had the idea long before the guys who tried this, and even before Micheal Crichton who supposedly wrote about something similar, when I was thinking about how a Star Trek like Holodeck could work nearly 25 years ago. Unfortunately I quickly dismissed the idea as complete nonsense back then. :)

My idea for the driving mechanism wasn't the same though (and might be smarter, although most likely more expensive). Considering that these guys got government money for their failed atttempt, I should probably start thinking about this again...
Popopinsel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Popopinsel »

And what if we put that ball bearing/CyberCarpet mechanism into the shoe itself? The ball bearing would form the sole of the shoes. We would take neodymium magnet balls and you would walk on a metal platform with opposing polarity (maybe an electromagnet) and increasing magnetization towards the outside of the (round) platform so that it pulls you towards the center. :mrgreen:
Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Post by Leahy »

Popopinsel wrote:And what if we put that ball bearing/CyberCarpet mechanism into the shoe itself? The ball bearing would form the sole of the shoes. We would take neodymium magnet balls and you would walk on a metal platform with opposing polarity (maybe an electromagnet) and increasing magnetization towards the outside of the (round) platform so that it pulls you towards the center. :mrgreen:
Now that I would like to see. I haven't heard of anyone trying that. Closest was that link for motorized shoes that only allow for movement along one axis
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Popopinsel wrote:And what if we put that ball bearing/CyberCarpet mechanism into the shoe itself? The ball bearing would form the sole of the shoes. We would take neodymium magnet balls and you would walk on a metal platform with opposing polarity (maybe an electromagnet) and increasing magnetization towards the outside of the (round) platform so that it pulls you towards the center. :mrgreen:
I had thought of something along those lines as well! Essentially, the shoes have some embedded permanent magnets, and under the low friction surface of the base is an array of electromagnets. Also, with a dense array of electro magnets, you could possibly use them to generate certain kinds of haptic feedback (like walking on rocks, sticky slime, or ice). Of course, it's easier said than done :shock:
Bishop51
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Bishop51 »

JanVR; Everyone is talking about harnesses but I think that would be an instant consumer buzzkill. Have you considered creating a moving "lean support" around that inner ring? Basically the inner ring would be a guide rail and the user leans his mid torso against a separate pad which slides around the inner circumference of the ring. The lean support pad could even be shaped in a kind of loose "U" format to facilitate more aerobic motions like running without fear of falling. The main idea being that you can free up your hands by training the user to lean forward into a moveable padded support which freely glides around the circumference of the inner track.
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Bishop, I believe you are thinking along the same lines I am. I am posting a new video shortly, with hands free use.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

MSat wrote:
I had thought of something along those lines as well! Essentially, the shoes have some embedded permanent magnets, and under the low friction surface of the base is an array of electromagnets. Also, with a dense array of electro magnets, you could possibly use them to generate certain kinds of haptic feedback (like walking on rocks, sticky slime, or ice). Of course, it's easier said than done :shock:
your generally going to apply a turning force to the body since the upper body isn't being pushed through kinematics and friction. which results in falling over.

Return to “Oculus VR”