"too many hyphens" Spandex filter "fix"

geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

"too many hyphens" Spandex filter "fix"

Post by geekmaster »

I just figured out how to get around the "too many hyphens" Spandex filter problem in the MTBS3D forum software. Instead of using a "+" substitution as we showed previously (which only works for some web servers), just split a run of hyphenated words with "%2D", which is the hexadecimal substitution for "-".

Here is a recent URL that got corrupted by a "GodOFSPandex" substitution, and has been "fixed" with this "Spandex bypass" trick:
http://www.tested.com/tech/452817-ces-2 ... ign-games/
Just hover over it or click it to see that this hexadecimal substitution works as advertised. :D

And here it is again without the fix, to demonstrate the "GodOFSpandex" problem:
http://www.tested.com/tech/452817-ces-2 ... ign-games/
Just hover over it or click it to see the URL corrupted by the forum software.

To see the full "fixed" URL (without the displayed "..."), just click the "Quote" button and view it in the editor. When you click the "fixed" link, you will see the hexadecimal substitution changed back to a "-" in the web browser address bar.

Until Neil fixes this hyperactive Spandex filter problem, just edit your post and use this solution (as shown above) to make your URL clickable when you get a "GodOFSpandex" substitution.
Last edited by geekmaster on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Re: "too many hyphens" Spandex filter "fix"

Post by geekmaster »

I fixed the hexadecimal code above. It should be %2D, but it was previously %45. Oops.... Fixed now! : :roll:
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

Thanks, will do.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Good candidate for a sticky post I'd say...
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Nice find.
Dycus
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Dycus »

Not to be a backseat moderator... but does this really belong in the Rift section? :P I guess there's no meta/suggestions forum, but still...
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Dycus wrote:Not to be a backseat moderator... but does this really belong in the Rift section? :P I guess there's no meta/suggestions forum, but still...
Well, multiple threads in the Rift forum is where this problem has been cropping up repeatedly lately, so it would be of benefit to people here (and may be missed if posted to another forum).

Because the "GodOFSPandex" problem is generic to the entire website, it really should be visible to all of forums (until the problem is fixed in the forum software, at which time this thread can be "unstickied")...

But for now, it seems to me that this forum is where the "action" is, so this seemed a useful place to put this thread for now...

So, in your opinion Dycus where SHOULD this thread have been posted in a way that would be noticed so it can minimize the recent Spandex corruption in this forum?
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

Dycus
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Dycus »

geekmaster wrote:So, in your opinion Dycus where SHOULD this thread have been posted in a way that would be noticed so it can minimize the recent Spandex corruption in this forum?
Well see, that's what I was saying, there's really no general discussion forum at all, which is rather silly. I guess I'm complaining more about a lack of a proper place to put things like this rather than the fact it was posted here.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I guess the FAQ would be the best place then :
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/faq.php
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Fredz wrote:I guess the FAQ would be the best place then :
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/faq.php
In that case, it should probably be in the "phpBB 3 Issues" section of that FAQ, following this post:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/faq.php#f10r2

But really, that is not the correct solution. This thread in this forum was just published as a temporary workaround until the Spandex (naughty word or too many hyphens) filter gets repaired.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

I think the wrong place (here) is the right place. I know a lot of the VR guys are programmers, but as a non programmer, I only know that php is "internet stuff". I would never look there.

The right solution is to remove the filter, as the guy it was put in place to troll has left.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

until then might be best to use tinyurl or something like that.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Next time I talk to Neil, I will see if we can remove the filter or fix it somehow. Its probably not a big deal.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Get It Done! Or I will put a VR cap in your VR face.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

PasticheDonkey wrote:until then might be best to use tinyurl or something like that.
Or instead of tinyurl, just replace one or more "-" with "%2D" in the URL (as needed) to get it through the Spandex filter.

Years ago, there was a popular service like tinyurl, which went away during the "dot com bomb" era, leaving tons of broken links scattered across the net with no hint where to find all that recently unlinked content. I would hate to see this site dependent on an external service. And for that matter, tinyurl is banned from some proxies, as I recall, and using it would extend such a ban to portions of this site.

To see what problems are caused by external service dependencies, just look at all the broken images in some of PalmerTech's earlier posts. And with his kickstarter success, it is important to recover that lost history for this website. Tinyurl links could one day cause the same problem. Just sayin'...
:P

Return to “Oculus VR”