Looks like someone out there is using a 6" 1080p screen

SartreFan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Looks like someone out there is using a 6" 1080p screen

Post by SartreFan »

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/28/pantech-vega-no-6/

Now if only they could make it 120hz. At least that is good news to know the panels are out in the wild and in the right size for the rift
Delryn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Looks like someone out there is using a 6" 1080p screen

Post by Delryn »

I wonder what the pixel switching time is.
GPU: NVidia GTX 680|CPU: Core i5-2400|RAM: 16gig|SSD: 120GB|HDD: 1.25TB|Liquid Cooled CPU and GPU
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Hmm.. I can't find any information to suggest that Pantech manufacturers their own LCDs, so I wonder if other companies could get their hands on them. Then again, Palmer stated that Oculus has been able to secure prototype panels, so I doubt they'll have any problems getting a nice 1080 unit for the consumer version.
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

Likely has the same problem as all the other phone and tablet oriented panels: no MIPI controllers.
MSat

Post by MSat »

EdZ wrote:Likely has the same problem as all the other phone and tablet oriented panels: no MIPI controllers.
Oh, but there ARE: Parallel RGB ->MIPI SDI interface chips from Solomon Systech. :)
Mart
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mart »

MSat wrote:Palmer stated that Oculus has been able to secure prototype panels, so I doubt they'll have any problems getting a nice 1080 unit for the consumer version.
We can only dream what panels Palmer has in his hands as candidates for the consumer version. Considering CES 2013 is attended by industry leaders, I imagine he's got his hands on quite a few cutting-edge panels. (OLED? >1080p?)
MSat

Post by MSat »

Mart wrote:
MSat wrote:Palmer stated that Oculus has been able to secure prototype panels, so I doubt they'll have any problems getting a nice 1080 unit for the consumer version.
We can only dream what panels Palmer has in his hands as candidates for the consumer version. Considering CES 2013 is attended by industry leaders, I imagine he's got his hands on quite a few cutting-edge panels. (OLED? >1080p?)
Just several months ago, Palmer would have had to beg to get his hands on some cutting edge panels, now it's probably the other way around with companies begging him to consider their panels. If sales reps from display manufacturers haven't, then they're doing their job wrong.
rmcclelland
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by rmcclelland »

I'm sure they will have no trouble getting a 1080p screen. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a second developer kit with 1080p and position tracking down the road.

Getting a greater than 1080p screen however will require a screen MADE for VR, not just adapted. How soon that happens will proabably depend on how the consumer Rift sells.

Palmer's answer from another thread:
"- You are getting pretty visible in the industry. I'm sure you have been dealing with some big screen manufactures. I know you probably can't talk any specifics but have you been able to get some super prototype screen maybe? If so can you talk about how it feels?
We have some prototype screens. It feels like being in a secret club."
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

6" diagonal is definitely on the low side, considering the ocular demands for the target demographic.

Yes, playing with prototype hardware can be fun. The problems are that no one is making a panel that is fast enough, or has the requisite color depth. Panel addressing is also an issue, and so on.

That all these panels went into the design pipe with specification sheets for much slower and low powered situations as a pairing.

That type of specification grouping, is only coming on line now.

I suspect it is might be a Sharp unit. The entire run would have to be in a prototype production line, as this size, resolution, speed, color, depth and contrast, as such a grouping was not a concern when marketing projections and industry use feedback was considered, by all the main panel manufacturers.

I swore that I'd never get back into video design, unless there was something interesting to do.

And now, here it is.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

Google's Nexus 7 will likely be available with a 7" 1080p panel in May.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130128PD222.html
"This is great!"
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

AntiCatalyst wrote:Google's Nexus 7 will likely be available with a 7" 1080p panel in May.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130128PD222.html
Quote from another source:
" Well word is they will definitely add a 1080p display to the second generation 7-incher."
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

Return to “Oculus VR”