Any chance we'll see official rift conversions of old games?

crespo80
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Any chance we'll see official rift conversions of old games?

Post by crespo80 »

With so many developers at work on the rift in the upcoming months, I'm sure the consumer version will have a good number of rift-specific indie games and a handful of rift-optimized AAA games.
But don't you think it's very plausible that some software houses released a rift-optmized version of some of their best titles from the past, just like ID did with the BFG edition of doom 3?
I mean, kudos to people like MaterialDefender or cybereality for their drivers; but who, among the consumer rift buyers, wouldn't pay quite the full price (or half the price if they already own the original) to play a complete optimized-by-the-original-developer VR version of masterpieces like half life 2, crysis, FEAR, skyrim, bioshock and so on?

The development cost would be really low for them compared to the profit margin, don't you think?
Delryn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Any chance we'll see official rift conversions of old ga

Post by Delryn »

Users on this forum are making Rift drivers that give games Rift compatibility. This will be the ticket to get Rift on most older games.
GPU: NVidia GTX 680|CPU: Core i5-2400|RAM: 16gig|SSD: 120GB|HDD: 1.25TB|Liquid Cooled CPU and GPU
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

:oops:

thanks for the link by the way, there was all the info I needed :)
Additives
Cross Eyed!

Post by Additives »

Even though there is still a thread on the first page, I feel it is worth re-mentioning Valves port of TF2, and the GDC lectures/panels they are holding on the challenges they have faced converting to VR.

I have to say, I'm looking forward to seeing what they have changed, and how it all works. Should give a decent idea of what kind of games might work better on the Rift.
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Yes, Doom 3 BFG edition. :lol:
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

There's definitely a chance of that. iD and Valve have already had a go at that. Open source and indie projects are likely to have a go at that.

It's just too good to pass up for companies where game developers have a say. They want to see the worlds they created in VR. And it wouldn't be too hard to convert them. Don't forget it's a lot easier to get the old game you released two years ago to run at a consistent 60Hz in 3D than it is to get the new game you're working on now to do that. Many of them will have ordered Rifts already. I'm sure developers will try it, even if they don't think there's any money in it.

If it turns out there is money in it (when the consumer version comes out), then you might see other companies doing it too.
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

Half-Life 2 with VR support for head-tracking disjointed from the body:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtbU9Cx7c0o
Last edited by spire8989 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

Yeah, clarification: haven't seen any posts about it in the Rift subsection. lol. Thanks ^_^
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

"to integrate head and weapon tracking support for Head Mounted Displays tracking like John Carmack added into Doom 3 BFG for the Oculus Rift.

The scenes in the caves were played with a second tracker mounted on a ps move navigator that allows for completely independent 360 degree weapon control."

But everyone that's played D3:BFG on the rift prototypes has said the gun is still stuck to you're nose for aiming so it doesn't have weapon tracking, or did they actually implament that in the released version of D3:BFG?

Return to “Oculus VR”