Best Headphones for the Rfit?

mindw0rk
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Best Headphones for the Rfit?

Post by mindw0rk »

cybereality wrote:OK, well I have not tried either of these headsets, but they sound promising. Both are true 5.1.
There are no "true" 5.1 headphones. This is just a marketing term to get people buy gaming headsets. No matter how many speakers they input in either side, it wont give you much benefits. You can easily get same surround quality with 250 ohm headphones and right software.

That what my friend who works in music store told me anyways
inura
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by inura »

I have dennon AH-D1100 and I love them. I like to have enough bass in my songs/games/movies and this delivers. HIFI sound in my ears and I can wear them for hours. http://www.head-fi.org/products/denon-ah-d1100
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Paladia wrote:
STRZ wrote:I wasn't joking when i recommended this headphones http://www.head-fi.org/products/superlux-hd-681/reviews

For the price (30$) a steal. Palmer should ship them with the Rift, everybody should have them for comparison with other phones and headsets before investing more.
They sound nice but are they really a headset though? As I find connecting an external microphone to not work all too well.
Why? You need the right microphone for it, look here http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 362#p95362
German
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by German »

STRZ wrote: Why? You need the right microphone for it, look here http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 362#p95362
I really wish this was a USB microphone.
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

If you don't care that much about bass response (it will be better than that iPod earbud crap, though - although I have no idea how good the new "earpods" are), but want to hear good sound, the $20 Koss KSC-75 is a steal. You won't hear much subwoofer-level bass, but the rest of the frequency response is damn good.

I have a range of headphones, including a Stax SR-202, Sennheiser HD-650, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, etc.; a mix of lower-mid-hi-end, mid-level, and "entry-level" hi-fi. I use the Koss KSC-75 the most.

edited to add: my experience with the horrendously awful sound a 5.1 headphone gave me was what led to my journey to good headphones. That was more than 6 years ago, though - 5.1 has undoubtedly improved since then. But it is still a gimmick (and also undoubtedly sounds like crap compared to any decent standard headphone), and with VR becoming popular, sound for 2 channel headphones will be getting closer to reproducing binaural audio.

second edit: minor detail, but wearing the Koss KSC-75 improperly can RUIN the sound. Like the guy seen in the first picture at http://www.roadtovr.com/2012/12/17/palm ... -2012-2054 is getting earbud-like tinny sound due to how high he has the KSC-75s on his ear(s).
Last edited by jf031 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

German wrote:
STRZ wrote: Why? You need the right microphone for it, look here http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 362#p95362
I really wish this was a USB microphone.
http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-A ... B001MSS6CS
German
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by German »

Have you used it? I love the USB Logitech headset I have because it is dead silent(no hiss from motherboard noise) and I can't go back to an analog mic now.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Yes, i have used USB soundcars with C-Media chipsets, i had nor problems. If you use a USB mic/headset the signal flow is about the same, Headset > AD converter > computer. Only that it's all integrated into the device. You can't record speech analog into a computer, at a certain point in the signal chain it has to be converted. The important part is the Mic itself because flawless AD conversion can be done very cheap nowadays. The USB soundcard won't be worse than what you find built into USB headsets.

If i remember it right, USB provides galvanic isolation from the motherboard, this means that the internals of your computer can't interfere with the signal anyway. Similar to a optical output.
LikeMike
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LikeMike »

Well, it seems like there is no easy answer here... I made up my mind, that I want wireless headphones - simply to be able to play while sitting on the couch. True 5.1, virtual 7.1 or stereo - get one from a game periphal company (Logitech, Razer) or an audio company (sennheiser, denon) - all of that seems to be just a matter of taste.

Personally, I just want a good, immersive experience and not spend too much (let`s keep it well under 200$). I don`t neccessary need a mic - I am not really into online gaming... Right now I´m looking at the Corsair Vengeance 2000, Logitech G930 and the Sony MDRDS6500 or the Sennheiser RS 170 (though the two later ones are reported to have a very slight lag, only noticeable if you play instruments with them - but that could be a dealbreaker for the immersion).

What about a soundcard - right now I use the onboard sound. I noticed that some headsets have a USB-soundcard. Do I need one of those (or even an internal one? I also use the PC for watching movies and have it connected to my AV-receiver with a 5.1 setup)?
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

LikeMike wrote:Well, it seems like there is no easy answer here... I made up my mind, that I want wireless headphones - simply to be able to play while sitting on the couch. True 5.1, virtual 7.1 or stereo - get one from a game periphal company (Logitech, Razer) or an audio company (sennheiser, denon) - all of that seems to be just a matter of taste.

Personally, I just want a good, immersive experience and not spend too much (let`s keep it well under 200$). I don`t neccessary need a mic - I am not really into online gaming... Right now I´m looking at the Corsair Vengeance 2000, Logitech G930 and the Sony MDRDS6500 or the Sennheiser RS 170 (though the two later ones are reported to have a very slight lag, only noticeable if you play instruments with them - but that could be a dealbreaker for the immersion).

What about a soundcard - right now I use the onboard sound. I noticed that some headsets have a USB-soundcard. Do I need one of those (or even an internal one? I also use the PC for watching movies and have it connected to my AV-receiver with a 5.1 setup)?
You'll already be tethered by the Rift (it is wired), so you might as well get cabled headphones for the extra sound quality. Length of audio cables can go very far without audibly losing quality.

For suggestions, I second the Beyerdynamic DT 770 if you want the full range of frequency (from VERY low bass to inaudible upper frequencies) and don't want external noise. Its bass is known among the audiophile community as "slow" (I agree), but if you've never heard high quality headphone bass, you won't notice what you're missing.

If you want to hear the outside world, at <$200 you'll be giving up the lowest bass frequencies. If you want to save a TON of money, get the Koss KSC-75 for $20. It is an incredible deal for the sound quality, and is fine for gaming. The only downside is that they may physically hurt your ears (NOT your hearing, unless you have the volume too high, of course) because they are clip-ons. I used to experience ear pain after wearing them for 2+ hours at a time, but my ears have since toughened up.

edit: and, as I stated on the last page, the KSC-75 is the headphone I use the most, even though I have much "better" headphones.

edit 2: Ah, soundcard. Yes, the Xonar DG, for $30. Much better SNR than onboard, and it has "dolby headphone" for simulated 5.1 surround on normal headphones. It also has an integrated headphone amp that is more than enough for the KSC-75.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

KSC-75s are great for the price. The Koss PortaPro uses the same drivers, and is quite a bit more comfortable.
LikeMike
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LikeMike »

Alright - I decided to trust the maker ;) . I just bought the AudioTechnica AD700 over ebay (since they aren`t regularily sold in Germany). The best selling point in the end were the various reports of them being the most comfortable and really light headphones. I think that will be very important with the Rift, especially since I wear glasses. Oh and the great sound and soundstage didn`t hurt either...

Now I need a soundcard - problem is: I really want one with a digital coax out - since I have the cable to my receiver already laid through the wall. But it seems like all the usual suspects only have optical out (or did I miss something). Do you have any suggestions, or are the adapters (coax to optical) my only option?

Return to “Oculus VR”