How can the OR do well in the market?

STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Re: How can the OR do well in the market?

Post by STRZ »

Fredz wrote:I'm not talking about the Nike game here, I'm talking about a dancing game, the goal is not to loose weight but to have fun.

Not beating the highscore and leveling up by performing certain tasks with your body? Beating the highscore is fun, of course.
Heck, I've been a sportsman for many years (triathlon, soccer, squash, etc.) like most of my friends, the idea of loosing weight hasn't even once crossed my mind...
But many aren't sportsmen like you, i takes a lot for many people to overcome themselves and start working out, go into the gym or a sports club. A videogame with an activity factor to it is much more compelling for them than to sit on a hometrainer and watching TV. You get it don't you? ;)
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

even professional sports have set time limits based on the energy expenditure. and those are played by people trained to do that activity. a normal game you can play for hours upon hours, try dancing for that long.
Delryn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Delryn »

Fredz wrote:I pretty much think the contrary. As people bought Wii games specifically for Wiimote support, people buy some Xbox games specifically for the Kinect support. People who never played games before fit completely in this category, because these input schemes make the games a lot more enjoyable to them.
Fredz, first of all, thanks for your analysis on the Kinect, I definitely didn't think about Dance Central. It's a big hit. Child of Eden (while easier with a controller) was also built for kinect and performed well. Similarly WiiSports did very well because of the WiiMote.

The only thing I have to say in response to this is that the Kinect and Wiimote didn't have any staying power. Every gamer and media site I read refers to their Wii as expensive paper weights, or exclusive Brawl platforms.

I just ... really want the Oculus Rift to be a paradigm shift. I don't think about Kinect and Wiimotes in the same way that I think about graphics cards, or thumbsticks, or DirectX/OpenGL, or widescreens. I would really like it if the Rift became a must-have in gaming, just so that more developers can find better ways to use VR, and so that VR can move even beyond the Rift. Yes, I know that there is great dev support and a wonderful SDK and a compelling price point, but even the PS3 did well eventually in spite of that. It had a consumer base.
GPU: NVidia GTX 680|CPU: Core i5-2400|RAM: 16gig|SSD: 120GB|HDD: 1.25TB|Liquid Cooled CPU and GPU
vtms
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vtms »

If OR delivers on performance and developers on content, it will not require paid marketing campaign to sell. Word of mouth will spread like wildfire that this is something new and too compelling to ignore, another step in evolution of virtual experiences. First, it was radio, then it was TV, now it is VR, later it will be Vertebrane, and then uploading to live in synthetic worlds as the final stop in this evolution.

Think of how people reacted when TV was invented. Even though, at first, it was just a grainy, black an white picture, people instantly recognized this device would bring them an unprecedented quality of experience, just like the radio before, and, because of that, everyone instantly craved their own TV set. Oculus Rift is just like that first TV, primitive, low-resolution, lacking quality content, but still causing people to feel that rare, but familiar sense of awe that a new and unprecedented quality of virtual experience has arrived, making them hungry for a taste.

Just like TV became bigger than Radio, VR will be bigger than TV, as it will transcend gaming applications to VR movies, VR education, VR tourism, and live VR events (sports, social, business). Not many people realize how transformative this technology will become when it reaches its full potential.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

loved that post vtms. apart from the uploading part which never makes sense to me as a continuation of experience. i hope against hope that this tech will not be ruined by the dismissal of fools and i can get the best seats in the house virtually to events. the comparison to radio and tv was brilliant tho and i guess the internet would apply as well.
Delryn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Delryn »

I like that idea too, radio > TV > VR. But you're starting to sound cult-y. Be careful of that.
GPU: NVidia GTX 680|CPU: Core i5-2400|RAM: 16gig|SSD: 120GB|HDD: 1.25TB|Liquid Cooled CPU and GPU
greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Post by greenknight »

The OR can do well by hiring the right people.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Call-o ... 20648.html
vtms
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vtms »

Thanks, PD. Internet is on a different evolutionary track than stories->books->radio->TV->VR->Vertebrane->uploading as it's more of a communication platform that brings all the other forms of virtual experiences together (text, sound, images, video). Later, when many websites become true VR portals, as opposed to simple text+images+sound+video pages viewed on small screens, which is what we have now, the literal meaning of "going on the internet" will become more valid, not to mention when Vertebrane Internet comes online, but, in the end, internet will always remain just a platform for these virtual experiences.

I also believe in the continuity of experiences and uploading won't disallow preservation of that continuity. All that's needed to accomplish that is to gradually replace existing neurons and synapses with synthetic equivalents without disturbing normal operation of the brain. :)
Last edited by vtms on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

greenknight wrote:The OR can do well by hiring the right people.

They should have mentioned the Holodeck project where he is/was part of. Because that demonstrates that he's a VR Fan and not primarly there for the money.

If the people hear Activision, they think automatically in sell out, due to the bad reputation Activision has in gamer scene.
crespo80
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by crespo80 »

vtms wrote:Internet is on a different evolutionary track than stories->books->radio->TV->VR->Vertebrane->uploading as it's more of a communication platform that brings all the other forms of virtual experiences together (text, sound, images, video)
Totally agree, Internet can be put in the very same path with the birth of social interactions->spoken language->aggregation in villages/cities->roads interconnecting cities->Mail services for exchanging informations (the very primitive form on Internet)->the telegraph/telephone/mobile/satellite communication->Internet :woot

Virtual Reality will at first integrate and eventually substitute the way we experience Internet (in the most general meaning, including Radio/TV/telephone/social games, because I think that many years from now it will incorporate them all)
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

STRZ wrote:Oculus could make a deal with people commiting themselves showing off the device in their private homes and maybe giving them a bonus for every customer who buys a Rift afterwards (asking the customer where he demoed it when ordering). They could have theoretically people in every city of the world where people could demo the device. People then go to the Oculus website and inform themselfes where to go for a demo, and providing a contact link to those people in the list.

I know a vendor of highend hi-fi speakers who has a similar business model. If i wouldn't have been able to demo my speakers, i wouldn't have bought them. Much better than demoing in a busy store!
A "refer a friend" scheme is actually a fantastic idea. Even a small monetary incentive for people to show it off to others could potentially make a huge difference.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

OR has great potential as a demo unit in Best Buys, Walmarts, etc. Anybody who tries it will want to buy it. Problem is do you hang one up in the PC section or the console section?
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

oculusfan wrote:OR has great potential as a demo unit in Best Buys, Walmarts, etc. Anybody who tries it will want to buy it. Problem is do you hang one up in the PC section or the console section?
My thought actually was "how do you safely tether the thing so it isn't stolen, while keeping it lightweight and allowing freedom of movement to show off the headtracking in a good light".
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

just chain it like pens at a bank.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

TheHolyChicken wrote:
oculusfan wrote:OR has great potential as a demo unit in Best Buys, Walmarts, etc. Anybody who tries it will want to buy it. Problem is do you hang one up in the PC section or the console section?
My thought actually was "how do you safely tether the thing so it isn't stolen, while keeping it lightweight and allowing freedom of movement to show off the headtracking in a good light".
For a professional solution, you could use this 8 ft Desktop and Peripherals Locking Kit:

DeeKej
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DeeKej »

STRZ wrote:
greenknight wrote:The OR can do well by hiring the right people.

They should have mentioned the Holodeck project where he is/was part of. Because that demonstrates that he's a VR Fan and not primarly there for the money.

If the people hear Activision, they think automatically in sell out, due to the bad reputation Activision has in gamer scene.
Thanks for writing that. I'm one of those that twitch a little every time I hear Activision, and instantly became unsure about if that was a good move by Oculus or not. This makes it more understandable. :)
Delryn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Delryn »

TheHolyChicken wrote:
You can't really avoid limiting movement freedom with a locked down demo unit. Unless you have the item supervised at all times, which seems unlikely.

Oculus LLC could make special demo units that are compatible with standard laptop locks. It'll restrict movement a little bit, but you should still be able to get the idea.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Delryn wrote:... Oculus LLC could make special demo units that are compatible with standard laptop locks. It'll restrict movement a little bit, but you should still be able to get the idea.
Or just stick a self-adhesive security cable mount on a "standard" Oculus Rift like you see on demo ebook readers at retail outlets.
Delryn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Delryn »

geekmaster wrote:Or just stick a self-adhesive security cable mount on a "standard" Oculus Rift like you see on demo ebook readers at retail outlets.
I'm not familiar with that, but it sounds good.

About the friend referral, I love that idea. I think we can all agree that the best way for the Rift to spread is through word of mouth. Referrals would definitely encourage this. I'm not sure what the reward should be, though.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

TheHolyChicken wrote:
I don't think theft of demo units at stores is much of a problem at all. As for the Rift, since the cable between the HMD and the control box can't (easily) be removed, all you have to do is lock the control box down.
Delryn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Delryn »

MSat wrote:I don't think theft of demo units at stores is much of a problem at all. As for the Rift, since the cable between the HMD and the control box can't (easily) be removed, all you have to do is lock the control box down.
Riiiiight, the control box. Lock that sucker down.

What do you think the Jimmy Falon appearance will do for the Rift? It can get consumers interested in the rift, and indirectly generate further dev support, or it may cause consumers to want to buy it and then not be able to for an indefinite amount of time.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

Delryn wrote:What do you think the Jimmy Falon appearance will do for the Rift? It can get consumers interested in the rift, and indirectly generate further dev support, or it may cause consumers to want to buy it and then not be able to for an indefinite amount of time.
I think they just need to continue the strategy they used at CES of not even mentioning you can buy it. If they say "the dev kits come out in March, which will provide developers with the tools needed to create games," then most people (save eager developers) won't investigate it further.
Moriarty
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moriarty »

Delryn wrote:Also VR has failed miserably in the past. I'm not saying the Rift will fail, but I'm saying consumers who remember the virtual boy and the like will be skeptical at best.
I think people who tried the Virtual Boy will appreciate the Rift even more, those poor tortured souls will finally get what they always wanted. :lol: This review of the Virtual Boy by the "Angry Video Game Nerd" is hilarious and he points out everything that was wrong with the Virtual Boy (not in color everything is black/red, no head strap, not Virtual Reality at all,you're not in the game, no headtracking, few games...and the list goes on and on.). At the end he even says "They didn't even attempt a VR concept, what it needed was some FPS games...like Doom ! That would have been awesome !!!" :mrgreen: :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyVAp0tOk5A[/youtube]
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I love how the Angry Video Game Nerd says the Virtual Boy needed Doom, and that is coincidentally the first game compatible with the Rift.
LNQ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LNQ »

There is no way OR will not do well in the market. The kickstarter is proof of interest from developers to develop VR games. As a developer, the very idea of developing for VR instead of age old flatscreens is an incredible prospect. I expect those game developers who love creative experimenting to be dying to create something novel and cool for VR.

But that is actually beside the point, or at least only important for the longetivity of OR. Initially, OR will be a phenomenon, simply because it is the first properly immersive VR interface available for consumers. It is something completely new and much more impressive than Kinect. As for what happens after OR has been in the market for a while, who knows. Maybe it gets old for most consumers quick, or maybe it revolutionizes video entertainment. Nobody can do anything but guess with regards to that.
SartreFan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SartreFan »

DrZimmerman wrote:
Delryn wrote:Also VR has failed miserably in the past. I'm not saying the Rift will fail, but I'm saying consumers who remember the virtual boy and the like will be skeptical at best.
I think people who tried the Virtual Boy will appreciate the Rift even more, those poor tortured souls will finally get what they always wanted. :lol: This review of the Virtual Boy by the "Angry Video Game Nerd" is hilarious and he points out everything that was wrong with the Virtual Boy (not in color everything is black/red, no head strap, not Virtual Reality at all,you're not in the game, no headtracking, few games...and the list goes on and on.). At the end he even says "They didn't even attempt a VR concept, what it needed was some FPS games...like Doom ! That would have been awesome !!!" :mrgreen: :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyVAp0tOk5A[/youtube]

I still have a Virtual Boy sitting in a closet. Every now and then I'll take it out to play for about 5 minutes before the piercing migraines and spontaneous eye-bleed ensues. If only it had full color or at least a different color beside "retina rape red" it could have had a chance to last at least a few more months on the market. Plus a real mario game for it wouldn't have hurt
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

I played soviet strike, a sega saturn game, on an ancient HMD at the mall. This was around the same time as Virtual Boy. Only this one worked with any source and was full color. VB was terrible even for 1995.

Return to “Oculus VR”