Does this concern anyone else??

NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Re: Does this concern anyone else??

Post by NikoKun »

PalmerTech wrote:Believe me, this is nothing but good news. Laird is a fantastic guy, and I would not have hired him if he were not a perfect fit for Oculus. He is a professor in USC's Advanced Games course, and mentored/guided Project Holodeck. He has a skill that, frankly, we lacked as a company: Getting a consumer product into the hands of as many people as possible.

If this guy were in it for the money, he had plenty of options that don't involve moving to a scrappy startup! :lol: We would not have hired him if we thought his vision was different than ours, and his position as COO still reports to me at the end of the day. If I don't want to go in a particular direction, then we don't.

We want to make a great headset that gamers can afford, not a luxury item. We know what happens when you launch a consumer product at $599, no need to repeat history.
Glad to see Palmer respond to our fears. heh
I'm even more excited for Oculus as a company now! :D Kinda reminds me of when Google was first gathering "big-names" in the industry. heh
rmcclelland
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by rmcclelland »

PalmerTech wrote:Believe me, this is nothing but good news. Laird is a fantastic guy, and I would not have hired him if he were not a perfect fit for Oculus. He is a professor in USC's Advanced Games course, and mentored/guided Project Holodeck. He has a skill that, frankly, we lacked as a company: Getting a consumer product into the hands of as many people as possible.

If this guy were in it for the money, he had plenty of options that don't involve moving to a scrappy startup! :lol: We would not have hired him if we thought his vision was different than ours, and his position as COO still reports to me at the end of the day. If I don't want to go in a particular direction, then we don't.

We want to make a great headset that gamers can afford, not a luxury item. We know what happens when you launch a consumer product at $599, no need to repeat history.
Congrats on the hire. Lots of great info in that article.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

There seems to be a big underground VR scene in California supporting each other, with the topdogs of that scene now aligning at Oculus to set the foundation. Something special must be in the californian air, so many tech startups and innovations coming from that area, it's almost scary :lol:
drifter

Post by drifter »

VR Valley on the way !
Delryn wrote:If the Rift can catch on, then we can worry about this situation. I'd rather worry about the Rift not evolving and simply making big bucks.
Indeed, we all know how the 3DFX adventure ended...
(And how it started, again with Carmack's magic involved in the very beginning :o )
MSat wrote:around the time the consumer version is set to ship, a $120-175 low-end model should be quite possible. Even if it does take a couple years, wouldn't a cheap version be a good thing?
Sure, once the market is created, we would want to see lower and higher versions (120 and 270°!)
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

Price = (√(HFOV*VFOV))+150

(√(80*100))+150
=$240

(√(270*270))+150
=$420

:D
This member owns things.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Randomoneh wrote:Price = (√(HFOV*VFOV))+150

(√(80*100))+150
=$240

(√(270*270))+150
=$420

:D
lol
drifter

Post by drifter »

mine is more elegant :
Price = Pi*HFOV

Pi*95 (optimistic value)
= $298.5 <= we are ripped off here

Pi*270
= $848 <= still ok i guess, seeing that you have already the $3000 cluster to go with it

I may have found the next new Moore's law here
it's cheaper for 100 first autograph requests
Cromfel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cromfel »

As others have already stated, thanks for clearing the background up ;) It is soothing to hear you got things under control.
Cromfel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cromfel »

SartreFan wrote:

This is great news and alleviates my fears. My dad started his own company about 30 years ago, it went public and got fairly large. Some members of the Board of Directors wanted to take the company's main project and spin it off to a subsidiary that they would own privately and reap all the benefits. My dad fought against a lot of them and ended up being kicked out of the company that he started. I just hope this doesn't happen to you, that was my main concern. This is your project and your product. I'm always rooting for the creative people
German wrote:
Grix wrote: How does that even happen? Was he tricked like in "The Social Network" or something?
It went public. The board hires(and fires) the CEO. The owners are the shareholders which the board reports to.
If one has read Steve Jobs biography its pretty much the same story. So this kind of things do happen when things start to go nuts (one should take care). At that point for the big boys it doesn't matter who founded what, ethics goes out of window when there is hungry wolves with their stock lusting for more profit. Ever wonder what would have happened to Valve if it wasn't fully kept in private hands?

Return to “Oculus VR”