Wiimote issue

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Wiimote issue

Post by JanVR »

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I have been trying for weeks to get a Wiimote to work on my laptop, without success. I was hoping someone on this forum might have seen the same issues and could help me out.

- I am using Windows 7 with built-in Bluetooth; the Bluetooth adapter recognizes the Wiimote and is able to connect and install drivers

- However, when I use FreePIE, GlovePIE, or Wiinremote, none of these programs seem to recognize the Wiimote; Sometimes FreePIE does, but then I get the message "Unexpected token "Wiimote"" Other times, it just says "No Wiimote in device list"

- I have tried with three different Wiimotes, as well as with an official Wiimote Plus, straight out of the Wii box

Not sure what the issue is. Would I need an external Bluetooth adapter instead of my internal one? If so, which one would work?

Alternatively, are there any recent scripts that support Wiimote Plus? Does FreePIE support the Wiimote Plus?

If anyone recognizes these issues, or can give some advice, that would be greatly appreciated. Any tips welcome. Thanks!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Wiimote issue

Post by cybereality »

First off, the default Windows bluetooth stack sucks. You should try a 3rd party one, I was using the Toshiba stack with some success.

Also, not every bluetooth adapter will work perfectly. You may have to buy a USB adapter to get good support (don't worry, they are cheap).

Here is a list of adapters that should work: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_Working ... th_Devices
Lookforyourhands
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Lookforyourhands »

I have found that unless I connect my wiimote in a very specific manner that
Freepie won't detect or hook onto it. I'm using the default MS Bluetooth stack
but I'm using an external Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapter. It should function the same
way using the internal Bluetooth in the laptop using the MS stack though.
Anyway here's what I have to do;

Load up freepie with the script but don't
press run yet.
Remove any wiimote Bluetooth devices
Re add wiimote as Bluetooth device
wait for windows to install the Bluetooth HID driver
When it's done inatalling driver remove the wiimote
from Bluetooth devices again. (I know sounds crazy)
Once again re add the wiimote as Bluetooth device.
Windows should install the HID driver much faster this time.
As SOON as the driver is installed press Run, Stop, Run on Freepie.
Hopefully the lights on the wiimote flash and Freepie connects to it successfully.

I don't know why this works but I have verified it working for me
every single time without a hitch. If I try to connect wiimote to Freepie
without removing it and re adding it to the Bluetooth devices it doesn't work!

Give it a shot hopefully it works for you too!
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Many thanks to both of you. Lookforyourhands, unfortunately your trick does not seem to work for me (FreePIE is not finding any Wiimotes). Seems like my internal Bluetooth adapter might be the issue. I downloaded Widcomm, which does not even seem to find my adapter. I will by an external dongle from the list Cyberreality posted and see if that solves the issue. I'll keep this thread updated on my findings.
Lookforyourhands
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Lookforyourhands »

Cool. It was worth a shot. A 3rd party USB adapter will probably do the trick !
I know how annoying it is to have to wait for things like that though. Let us know ! :D

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”