Mount and Blade simulator

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Mount and Blade simulator

Post by Okta »

No, i haven't built one :( but the idea came to mind typing in another thread.

For those who havent played MnB it has great mounted combat. You control your horse with WASD and look/attack with mouse. With racing sim cockpits being so popular i realised it would be not such a larger leap for a horse simulator. Just a saddle shape that can turn left, right, forward, back and up down could rather nicely be rigged to WASD activated by a reigns string/leg pressure? to simulate turning with leaning, acceleration, slowing and bouncing along with simple algorithms to the time spent hold WASD. You could even mount/dismount with some simple pressure sensors...

A noble project indeed for someone with the time and space :D
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Mount and Blade simulator

Post by cybereality »

Sounds like fun, probably wouldn't be much harder than building a racing seat.

Not a huge fan of horses or fantasy theme in general, but would be cool if someone did it.
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

I'd just like to get the sword fighting working with the Rift and Hydra personally. I'm pretty bad at the sword fighting with the mouse :/
RoadKillGrill
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoadKillGrill »

The big issue I find with simulating a sword or any melee weapon is that it will lack any feedback. A gun is a point and click device, but a sword is designed to hit something.

Swinging at the air just doesn't feel the same.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

A simple solution to this seems to be to have punchbags at either side of the fake horse. Not perfect, but perhaps it could be a tax collecting/peasant murdering sim?
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
mAchiNE
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mAchiNE »

RoadKillGrill wrote:The big issue I find with simulating a sword or any melee weapon is that it will lack any feedback. A gun is a point and click device, but a sword is designed to hit something.

Swinging at the air just doesn't feel the same. a
Well it could be possible to build a vr sword with solenoids for kick back when the sword hits something, and if using with a horse simulator it can be a wired controller allowing for more powerful solenoids, the problem I guess will be making it not to heavy and getting it balanced
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
drifter
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by drifter »

Okta wrote:For those who havent played MnB it has great mounted combat.
Indeed, this game has probably the best horse riding gameplay.
Though close combat, yet one of the best of the kind, is a bit sloppy, as for all these sword games in FPS view. We really need stereoscopy, head tracking, large FOV, 1:1 scale view and motion controllers to finally begin to have a proper gameplay.
As for the lack of haptics, we'll see soon how the devs will handle that.
we have so far :
- Owen's Armored Ops
- Neal Stephenson's Klang

what else ?

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”