MTBS3D community questions for Palmer?

rmcclelland
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

MTBS3D community questions for Palmer?

Post by rmcclelland »

After all the inane CES interview questions, maybe Palmer would answer some MTBS3D community questions? Should be more interesting then the same questions over and over. Let's try and keep them answerable. Here are a few:

- Have you tried a Rift prototype with racing or flying (cockpit based) games? Is the experience more compelling without 'fake-walking' with a controller breaking the immersion?

- What does it feel like to go from working alone in a garage to being the toast of CES? Did you ever worry that your view of how awesome VR is wouldn't be shared by the world at large?

- Besides techie mindshare, did you gain much else with all the CES exposure? Has it increased your chances of getting a better display in the near term, attracted talent, etc..?
Last edited by rmcclelland on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Re: MTBS3D community questions for Palmer?

Post by NikoKun »

- Now that you're back from CES, has anything changed because of all the new excitement and hype generated by it? Any surprises, or still taking things in?

- Could you tell us what the various dials on the Dev Kit do? The screw-driver dials on the sides, and the grip-dials around the lenses?

- I'm always hoping for new blog updates, whether it's progress reports, updates on the production/shipping, or even just ideas/brainstorming/discussion posts, I hope we see more, instead of quiet before the dev kits go out. ;) (Not really a question.heh)
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

My mind is not functioning well but I'll try.

- What will... blrpt... tracker uuh... guuurgh... never mind.

- How long until, that, you know, what... uh... yeah.

- Do you really... hey, uh... test, whatever!

- *slap to face*

- How to cure this over-hype I'm suffering from? It's been several months now D: oh, apply for a job at Oculus? Hmm.

- Will you produce a paper-cutout version of the development Rift so we can print it out, build it and pose with it? If not, hire me to do it.

- You just have to include some awesome document with the dev-kit "YOU ARE HOLDING THE FUTURE IN YOUR HANDS!" oh wait, that is not a question.

- Is there any plan to produce a surround-video-player in-house? NEVER MIND! I have already been reading the job descriptions.

- Ok, like this, what is the approximate average of hours you have slept per night the last week, and how do you think it has affected your health. A real question eh?

- Oh oh oh. Will the foam on the dev-kit be replaceable? As I plan to bring my kit around to 200 people it would be nice as it'll get worn/insanitary.

- How come you don't have a forum avatar?

I'm done. Ran out of the little sanity I had left. Back to drooling.
Xemakon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Xemakon »

-Could you spend less time actually working on the rift, and more time trolling the forums?
Ardheim
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ardheim »

Expanding on BOLL's last question:

-How come you don't have a forum avatar with you posing like fonzie with a leather jacket?

You know, with the thumbs up and all that jazz.
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

- How is it possible that all those journalists at CES were able to enjoy the Rift event though they all have different IPDs?

- Basics of perspective tell us that, when we're looking at our flat displays, pixel appear to be larger in the center since our eyes are closest to the center. Lenses have opposite effect. Is it possible that those two effects cancel each other - leaving us with pixels that appear to be about the same size?

- How did you calculate the actual FOV of the Rift since usual calculations are off the table because of nature of the lenses on view?
This member owns things.
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

Randomoneh wrote:- How is it possible that all those journalists at CES were able to enjoy the Rift event though they all have different IPDs?
This! I asked this question before but didn't see anybody answer it.
DannyO
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DannyO »

- Are there any plans for additional models alongside the main ~$300 model? e.g lighter more exotic materials, higher res OLED display for those that are willing to pay a lot more.
zeroxygen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zeroxygen »

This is more a suggestion rather than a question, but it could be quite interesting if a Pantheon map was in the SDK examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Oculu ... ntheon.jpg
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Ardheim wrote:Expanding on BOLL's last question:

-How come you don't have a forum avatar with you posing like fonzie with a leather jacket?

You know, with the thumbs up and all that jazz.
Yeah, Palmer should use the one where Fonzie starts the "jumping the shark" meme:

alekki
Cross Eyed!

Post by alekki »

How are you making developers support positional tracking when it's not included in the dev kit?
GobHoblin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GobHoblin »

alekki wrote:How are you making developers support positional tracking when it's not included in the dev kit?
I'm also pretty curious about this... Any word on when devs might be able to get info on the positional tracking the rift will be using?
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

Hi PalmerTech

Who created that hella groovy music in the kickstarter campaign video, and where can I download it?
3dRat
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3dRat »

Hi everyone!

my question: have you registered some patents about oculus rift or something?
I mean I know it is build upon some publicly available componentes but what if some big company are just now registering all sort of "ideas" about VR and when the rift is going to be out this big company will say "wait a minute! we got something to talk about..." that would be sad... :x
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

BOLL wrote:- How to cure this over-hype I'm suffering from? It's been several months now D: oh, apply for a job at Oculus? Hmm.

Freeze yourself, of course! Or just hibernate for two months. Whatever works for you.

I keep bugging him to get an avatar because I always miss his posts, but he's too lazy.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Dycus wrote:I keep bugging him to get an avatar because I always miss his posts, but he's too lazy.
I always get excited whenever I see a post by PasticheDonkey, because his name and avatar looks like PalmerTech when I skim past.

Questions:

- Why didn't you show people the 7 inch rift you had sitting on the desk at CES?

- Is there anything to help short-sighted people use the Rift yet?

- Can we use the Rift in other programming languages besides C++?

- Are you going to give money to Cybereality for making his driver?

- How many bits per pixel is the screen?

Actual developer questions:

- Does the Razer Hydra interfere with the Oculus Rift's tracking?

- Is it possible to do something different for each eye in a UDK game, for example having an injured eye, or having a character with a patch over one eye?
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

2EyeGuy wrote:- Is it possible to do something different for each eye in a UDK game, for example having an injured eye, or having a character with a patch over one eye?
This intrigues me too.

I'd love to be playing a game with a scoped rifle, and for my left eye to see the world as normal, and my right eye would see the scoped and zoomed view. This means, to actually see through the scope properly, I would have to close my left eye IRL! I think it would add a lot of immersion, and would love if this were possible.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Ardheim
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ardheim »

Yeah you'd just place the scope over the right camera.

Even better, you could have it so people have to lean their head sideways to look through the scope.
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Dycus wrote:I keep bugging him to get an avatar because I always miss his posts, but he's too lazy.
Why, a perfect new contest! Make an avatar for Palmer! The prize being him using it in the forums for at least a week! :D Hahaha.
BOLL wrote:- Oh oh oh. Will the foam on the dev-kit be replaceable? As I plan to bring my kit around to 200 people it would be nice as it'll get worn/insanitary.
To explain where this question came from. In Sweden we have this frequently recurring event called DreamHack, and I can imagine it would be neat to demo a Rift during that event as it is very focused on gaming. Now, with that small idea gnawing at the back of my head I realize I have a much more important question to ask.

- Will there be any restrictions to where we can show off the devkit Rift? Outside of private demonstrations would going to an event like DreamHack and bringing the Rift along be a bad idea? Or more bluntly, would buying a couple of table spots and setting up shop with official looking OR shirts, pamphlets, neon lights and fireworks be a bad idea? Erhm, yes my mind is spinning out of control.

[Edit] Realizing that hmm, yes, feels like this would be an important question for sure. We wouldn't want devkits to be displayed and mistaken for the final product, or without the information that the consumer version is not available for some time yet. Perhaps some kind of guidelines or even a license agreement should come with the devkit? Haha xD eh...
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

BOLL wrote:Why, a perfect new contest! Make an avatar for Palmer! The prize being him using it in the forums for at least a week! :D Hahaha.
Well I realize it's pretty obvious, but shouldn't this be his avatar?

Or my personal favorite...

Kanibal
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kanibal »

- We saw a lot of people use Rift over their glasses in CES videos. I think I read somewhere that it lowers fov. Can you estimate how much although it is probably a function and not a constant right? Just so I keep my expectation in check. Also does not wearing glasses with Rift pose risk of scratching the lenses?

- Can you elaborate on different ways of dealing with bad eye sight including wearing glasses or contact lenses and what are their advantages and disadvantages relative to each other? Just so I quell my fears from the first question. :)

- Will you start taking preorder for consumer version of Rift soon? I'm too chicken for dev kit but I want to be among the first to get the consumer version and not knowing release date is no problem for me. It would also let you know what the demand is right?

- Can you tell us how would curved display improve Rift design, not just fov but also maybe form factor?

- You are getting pretty visible in the industry. I'm sure you have been dealing with some big screen manufactures. I know you probably can't talk any specifics but have you been able to get some super prototype screen maybe? If so can you talk about how it feels?

- Follow up to that, if you have been in talks with some big fishes in the industry, can you say if in general they view you as some no-name garage company or if their attitude is changing? Like if they are starting to see the new trend emerging or if they're are blind.

- Is there an question that you wished someone had asked you but no-one did? If so can you tell us both the question and the answer?
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

-How thrilled are you that someone created a community questions for Palmer thread?
Charge
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Charge »

- Will Oculus be able to tell each of the Kickstarter backers if their Rift is going to be produced in the first manufacturing batch of 5000 units?
- If so, when? :P
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

rmcclelland wrote:After all the inane CES interview questions, maybe Palmer would answer some MTBS3D community questions? Should be more interesting then the same questions over and over. Let's try and keep them answerable. Here are a few:

- Have you tried a Rift prototype with racing or flying (cockpit based) games? Is the experience more compelling without 'fake-walking' with a controller breaking the immersion?
Yes, it is. Needs more research, though.

- What does it feel like to go from working alone in a garage to being the toast of CES? Did you ever worry that your view of how awesome VR is wouldn't be shared by the world at large?
Insane. I still work in about the same way as I did in my garage, except with the added advantage of ample funding and an office full of brilliant people! The connections you get from a show like CES is incredible, and so is the press. To be honest, though, I don't think the world at large knows how awesome VR is, not yet. Just the tech nerds for now!

- Besides techie mindshare, did you gain much else with all the CES exposure? Has it increased your chances of getting a better display in the near term, attracted talent, etc..?
That remains to be seen. We have only just gotten back, still following up with everyone.
NikoKun wrote:- Now that you're back from CES, has anything changed because of all the new excitement and hype generated by it? Any surprises, or still taking things in?
Lots of surprises, nothing I can share!

- Could you tell us what the various dials on the Dev Kit do? The screw-driver dials on the sides, and the grip-dials around the lenses?
Nope!

- I'm always hoping for new blog updates, whether it's progress reports, updates on the production/shipping, or even just ideas/brainstorming/discussion posts, I hope we see more, instead of quiet before the dev kits go out. ;) (Not really a question.heh)
Expect a lot more once the developer kits ship.
BOLL wrote:- Ok, like this, what is the approximate average of hours you have slept per night the last week, and how do you think it has affected your health. A real question eh?

- Oh oh oh. Will the foam on the dev-kit be replaceable? As I plan to bring my kit around to 200 people it would be nice as it'll get worn/insanitary.
It is replaceable in a mechanical sense, it remains to be seen if we can get it on its own without the Rift itself. It is modeled after ski goggle foam, so replacing it with that on your own would not be too difficult.

I like to stay low profile.
Randomoneh wrote:- How is it possible that all those journalists at CES were able to enjoy the Rift event though they all have different IPDs?
The lenses have a wide exit pupil, and the generic settings we were using work pretty well for everyone, if not optimally.

- Basics of perspective tell us that, when we're looking at our flat displays, pixel appear to be larger in the center since our eyes are closest to the center. Lenses have opposite effect. Is it possible that those two effects cancel each other - leaving us with pixels that appear to be about the same size?
It is definitely exaggerated.

- How did you calculate the actual FOV of the Rift since usual calculations are off the table because of nature of the lenses on view?
We will outline all the work that takes once we ship.
DannyO wrote:- Are there any plans for additional models alongside the main ~$300 model? e.g lighter more exotic materials, higher res OLED display for those that are willing to pay a lot more.

We plan on sticking to one model. Even a tiny change would essentially require producing a whole new product, so it would cost many, many times more than a mainstream mass produced unit. The main model is going to have the best possible specs within a reasonable budget, so I would not worry.
GobHoblin wrote:
alekki wrote:How are you making developers support positional tracking when it's not included in the dev kit?
I'm also pretty curious about this... Any word on when devs might be able to get info on the positional tracking the rift will be using?
Nope.
3dRat wrote:Hi everyone!

my question: have you registered some patents about oculus rift or something?
I mean I know it is build upon some publicly available componentes but what if some big company are just now registering all sort of "ideas" about VR and when the rift is going to be out this big company will say "wait a minute! we got something to talk about..." that would be sad... :x

I think the modern patent system is a travesty, but unfortunately, it is the only way to protect yourself. We are building up up our IP.
2EyeGuy wrote: - Why didn't you show people the 7 inch rift you had sitting on the desk at CES?
Our software was optimized for the old prototypes, particularly the warping code. Those prototypes were fresh from the factory, we did not have enough time to get things working well enough, though we tried.

- Is there anything to help short-sighted people use the Rift yet?
I am nearsighted. Can't say more than that right now.

- Can we use the Rift in other programming languages besides C++?
Yes, but development is going to initially target C++. We only have so many programmers!

- Are you going to give money to Cybereality for making his driver?
No comment.

- How many bits per pixel is the screen?
8 Bits.

Actual developer questions:

- Does the Razer Hydra interfere with the Oculus Rift's tracking?
Not in initial testing.

- Is it possible to do something different for each eye in a UDK game, for example having an injured eye, or having a character with a patch over one eye?
It is possible, we have not done that yet, though.
BOLL wrote:- Will there be any restrictions to where we can show off the devkit Rift? Outside of private demonstrations would going to an event like DreamHack and bringing the Rift along be a bad idea? Or more bluntly, would buying a couple of table spots and setting up shop with official looking OR shirts, pamphlets, neon lights and fireworks be a bad idea? Erhm, yes my mind is spinning out of control.

[Edit] Realizing that hmm, yes, feels like this would be an important question for sure. We wouldn't want devkits to be displayed and mistaken for the final product, or without the information that the consumer version is not available for some time yet. Perhaps some kind of guidelines or even a license agreement should come with the devkit? Haha xD eh...

We don't plan on formally restricting it, but if people set up an official looking Oculus booth at a show, we would probably ask them to stop.
Kanibal wrote:- We saw a lot of people use Rift over their glasses in CES videos. I think I read somewhere that it lowers fov. Can you estimate how much although it is probably a function and not a constant right? Just so I keep my expectation in check. Also does not wearing glasses with Rift pose risk of scratching the lenses?
It totally depends on the face of the person and the glasses. And yes, glasses do pose a scratch risk.

- Can you elaborate on different ways of dealing with bad eye sight including wearing glasses or contact lenses and what are their advantages and disadvantages relative to each other? Just so I quell my fears from the first question. :)
Contacts, gluing glasses lenses onto the headset, hoping for a last second announcement.

- Will you start taking preorder for consumer version of Rift soon? I'm too chicken for dev kit but I want to be among the first to get the consumer version and not knowing release date is no problem for me. It would also let you know what the demand is right?
Not soon, it will be a while. We won't take preorders till we have at least the specs worked out.

- Can you tell us how would curved display improve Rift design, not just fov but also maybe form factor?
Not until I have a chance to use some!

- You are getting pretty visible in the industry. I'm sure you have been dealing with some big screen manufactures. I know you probably can't talk any specifics but have you been able to get some super prototype screen maybe? If so can you talk about how it feels?
We have some prototype screens. It feels like being in a secret club.

- Follow up to that, if you have been in talks with some big fishes in the industry, can you say if in general they view you as some no-name garage company or if their attitude is changing? Like if they are starting to see the new trend emerging or if they're are blind.
They see us as a new company with a lot of potential, and also a lot of risk. I think their evaluation of us is correct.

- Is there an question that you wished someone had asked you but no-one did? If so can you tell us both the question and the answer?
People should ask what launching a startup does to your relationships. My answer: Do not expect good results.
Libertine wrote:-How thrilled are you that someone created a community questions for Palmer thread?
It gave me a good excuse to take a break from working on this sorry can't post about that.
Charge wrote:- Will Oculus be able to tell each of the Kickstarter backers if their Rift is going to be produced in the first manufacturing batch of 5000 units?
- If so, when? :P
Not yet, don't know yet.
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

Palmer delivers.
This member owns things.
MSat

Post by MSat »

Lots of great questions, and some very pleasing answers!

8-bit LCD
No IMU interference from the Hydra (in initial testing... hope it stays that way)

:D :D :D
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Whoa, cheers Palmer! I knew I should have posted more questions, and also not written questions late at night as that sure affects my character, hahaha. Perhaps there will be a new thread after the next CES...
Chriky

Post by Chriky »

Thanks Palmer.

So how is the secret prototype Rift with the 1600p screen? :lol:
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

PalmerTech wrote:I like to stay low profile.
Epic Fail. :lol:
MSat

Post by MSat »

MrGreen wrote:
PalmerTech wrote:I like to stay low profile.
Epic Fail. :lol:
hehehehe
I was thinking about making a comment about that as well.
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

Thanks for the answers Palmer, appreciate it.

I can image all the long hours are hard on relationships. In my opinion, to be wildly successful, you have to be talented, charming, AND put in crazy hours (plus a bit of luck... and good looks :D). There is no other way. I hope everything works out for you on that front.

Glad to hear there is progress on better screens. I'll sneak in one more related question in case you re-check this thread.

- Could there be other development hardware released between the current Dev Kits and the Consumer Version?
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

He said earlier that they might do the sensors separately (because they're so badass).
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

-Other than the purpose of the Rifts knobs/dials/whatever they are called, is there anything intresting about the Rift dev kit hardware that MTBS does not already know?

Palmer, it seems you are thinking of including audio in the consumer version. If you cant make it awesome, please make it optional.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Wow, thank you! I wasn't expecting so many questions to actually be answered! And the answers sound like good news.
PalmerTech wrote:Yes, but development is going to initially target C++. We only have so many programmers!
That's not entirely true. There are probably loads of programmers out there that would happily port it to other languages for free.
PalmerTech wrote:They see us as a new company with a lot of potential, and also a lot of risk. I think their evaluation of us is correct.
That's a worry. What are the risks? Maybe you should cut down on expenditures until you have a more certain income. Too many companies in this field fail. But this seems like something you could easily keep going indefinitely if you are careful not to overspend too much. But I don't know. Maybe you're better off taking the risks for a great consumer product launch.
PalmerTech wrote: People should ask what launching a startup does to your relationships. My answer: Do not expect good results.
Maybe you need to get your girlfriend more involved in what you're doing. Or maybe you just need to delegate responsibility more and take some breaks. Get Dycus to talk at events like CES on your behalf. :)
PalmerTech wrote:
Libertine wrote:-How thrilled are you that someone created a community questions for Palmer thread?
It gave me a good excuse to take a break from working on this sorry can't post about that.
OK, that's enough slacking off. ;) Get back to work on sorry can't post about that, or on your relationships.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

2EyeGuy wrote:
PalmerTech wrote:They see us as a new company with a lot of potential, and also a lot of risk. I think their evaluation of us is correct.
That's a worry. What are the risks? Maybe you should cut down on expenditures until you have a more certain income. Too many companies in this field fail. But this seems like something you could easily keep going indefinitely if you are careful not to overspend too much. But I don't know. Maybe you're better off taking the risks for a great consumer product launch.
Risk is very inherent to this type of endeavor. Doubly so when dealing with a technology that has never met with widespread acceptance before, which requires massive support from 3rd parties to succeed(in this case, developers making compatible games). This isn't the 5th game is a best selling series. This isn't some megacompany with so many baskets that losing a few means that they still have plenty of eggs. This is a new technology, and their success or failure rides solely on it. Holding back from their product doesn't really lessen their risk, they don't have an established base to fall back on. Making sure their product is as good as possible will maximize their chance for success.
That said, I do believe they are on track to succeed. They have a prototype that is consistently wowing people, it is getting the right kind of attention, developers are eager to make content for it. But despite all of these reasons to be optimistic, you can't say its not risky. Its just the nature of what they are doing.
German

Post by German »

2EyeGuy wrote:That's not entirely true. There are probably loads of programmers out there that would happily port it to other languages for free.
And once it's released they can. C++ can be used to make libraries for most other languages used today very easily.
yautjacetanu
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yautjacetanu »

I love that you say "No" and "No Comment" rather then just ignoring questions :)
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

bobv5 wrote:Palmer, it seems you are thinking of including audio in the consumer version. If you cant make it awesome, please make it optional.
A high quality option would be nice, but I can't imagine looking around much unless your in a dogfight or doing some VR out of your seat. It seems like most people will just be sitting at their desk and mildly looking around as the play, especially for long gaming marathons.
Last edited by Libertine on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MSat

Post by MSat »

Libertine wrote:
bobv5 wrote:Palmer, it seems you are thinking of including audio in the consumer version. If you cant make it awesome, please make it optional.
A high quality option would be nice, but I can't imagine looking around much unless your in a dogfight or doing some VR out of your seat. It seems like most people will just be sitting at their desk and mildly looking around as the play, especially for long gaming marathons.

I just can't see the sense in having built-in headphones unless the headset ends up being too bulky to use your own. Most people already own a pair (some very expensive too). Not only that, but some people prefer in-ear instead of on/over, and vice-versa. It just adds to the final cost, while providing a solution that may not be desirable for many. If the goal is to eliminate too many (or all) wires going back to the computer, then it's probably best to just add a headphone jack to the HMD. Just my 2c.
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

Palmer on integrated audio:
I really think that’s a cool idea. It’d be awesome to have built in audio, you know? The problem is if we’re going to do audio, we’re going to do it right. It doesn’t make any sense to do audio and just be like, “Oh it has included headphones and they’re decent.” The only reason to do it would be if we could give an experience that’s superior to what people can get out there on their own.

Return to “Oculus VR”