Intellect Motion GameCube (motion platform ??)

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Intellect Motion GameCube (motion platform ??)

Post by brantlew »

I found this amongst the CES 2013 stuff. It's sort of this weird motion platform controller thingy - sort of like a Wii Balance Board + optical trackers + bungie harness. They seem to be advertising it as a general purpose controller but it doesn't seem to fit many games well. The snowboard game looked sort of fun. I could see a small set of games that rely on body posture and balance (surfing, skiing, etc.) being fun. But I'm not so sure about FPS. Anyway...thought it was at least interesting and could give people ideas about more general harnesses and motion devices.

(My first thought is that a parachute simulator with an HMD might be pretty intense :D)

http://www.intellectmotion.com/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dT28sZm-Cs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLIRXujOAO8[/youtube]
Last edited by brantlew on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Re: Intellect Motion GameCube (motion platform ??)

Post by JanVR »

Thanks for posting. Not sure if this is commercially available yet? (or commercially viable)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Looks interesting, but why are the guys in the second video wearing ski-masks? Are they wanted fugitives or something?

I do like the idea of the harness setup, and I think that has a lot of potential for VR.
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

I agree, any vr setup using free motion needs a harness to get higher sense of immersion, it's the only way that strafing and walking backwards will be pulled off successfully imo
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Could be a way to handle running (with a xy axis treadmill underneath) and jumping at the same time. A experience on another fictional planet with different gravity would be a neat game idea for VR! :)

Sort of not playing Mario, beeing Mario! :lol:
Aabel
Cross Eyed!

Post by Aabel »

A device that requires a harness to be used is not going to sell to anyone but enthusiast developers or researchers.

Another thing that really bothered me about that demo was the use of such a small screen. They go through all that work and effort getting strapped into that spider web of cables to play games on a tiny monitor several feet away? that makes for a really disappointing demo.
Aabel
Cross Eyed!

Post by Aabel »

I have been toying with getting one of these tilt attachments for use with my wii board development, however I am concerned about balancing on a round shape while wearing a HMD. Seeing the Intellect Motion's use of a harness tells me that there is definitely a concern with loss of balance with this type of control. I do think they are onto something with the tilting though. Perhaps it could be scaled back so that less extreme angles are needed and the harness could be ditched.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@Aabel: I was not talking about a consumer device. I'm just thinking of something cool to DIY in my own house. I couldn't care less if Joe 6-pack is scared to try it.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

I got to try it for about 10 minutes. A few software bugs popped up during gameplay, but I enjoyed the overall experience,

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”