Xbox 720 leaks

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Chriky
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Xbox 720 leaks

Post by Chriky »

Couldn't spot a thread for this but did anyone catch the leaked MS document about the next Xbox generation?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/16/30909 ... leak-rumor

Looks like they are planning to release AR glasses in 2014. They've started taking down the document from hosting websites but I imagine its not hard to find.
alekki
Cross Eyed!

Re: Xbox 720 leaks

Post by alekki »

prediction of a 10-year lifecycle
Please no, not again!
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

That's an old article. The Xbox World magazine supposedly has more "official" coverage of the 720.
Coincidentally, it came out a couple days ago, but it costs money and I don't feel like buying it.

All I care about is the kinect, but most reports say it's just going to be "better". The question is: how much better?

If someone wants to buy it and tell us, they can do so
here: http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/g ... ck-issues/
here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id45220 ... mpt=uo%3D4
or here (for the UK): https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/id45220 ... mpt=uo%3D6
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I remember seeing this posted back when it was new. But some new info has surfaced in the Xbox mag, so its worth discussing again.

Personally think its great that MS is looking into this stuff, and it would be awesome to have a dedicated AR system.
wavefunction
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wavefunction »

alekki wrote:
prediction of a 10-year lifecycle
Please no, not again!
You hear that? It's the sound of millions of people abandoning consoles in lieu of PCs ;)
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

wavefunction wrote: You hear that? It's the sound of millions of people abandoning consoles in lieu of PCs ;)
Ha ha ha. That was a joke, right?
wavefunction
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wavefunction »

android78 wrote:
wavefunction wrote: You hear that? It's the sound of millions of people abandoning consoles in lieu of PCs ;)
Ha ha ha. That was a joke, right?
It was a wish!
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I'm in two minds about long life cycle for consoles. On the one hand, we are reaching a point where improvements in the core hardware (CPU, GPU, storage media) are having less and less impact on the gamer experience, so it doesn't really make sense to jump on every new iteration because the benefit for cost isn't there. Also, consoles provide gamers with (mostly) a inconstant experience, so those 'rich games' don't have competitive advantage of higher frame rates, higher fidelity image, etc, so it creates a more level playing field. If you have new revisions of consoles coming out too quickly, then you will have games that will have to support multiple versions of consoles, giving those who can afford it the competitive advantage seen on PC.
On the other hand, it can be frustrating when games have to be 'dumbed down' so that the console of choice can run it. Up until recently, I don't think this has been too much of an issue, but we are now getting to a point where the difference between what can be achieved with current technology is noticeably different to that which is being delivered with the current generation of consoles. I imagine that this will be the same in another 7-10 years, or so, and the big boys will have to get the next generation out... if we are still playing traditional 'consoles' by then and the world hasn't adopted some open standard gaming platform (basically PC with more rigid specifications).
MarshawnMan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MarshawnMan »

Finally some valuable information within regards to the 720!! Thanks a million!!
Nobody can officially see me in NBA 2k13!! Martian Goggles on deck!!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”