Is it even possible to have a Total War VR style game?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
adventurer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Is it even possible to have a Total War VR style game?

Post by adventurer »

I think Total War series are the most realistic strategy games ever made on PC. Thus, it would be great to see whether the Total War series have any potential to be adapted to VR. Do you think is it even possible? if it is, what change or improvement must be made to make it suitable in a VR style?
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Is it even possible to have a Total War VR style game?

Post by WiredEarp »

IMHO you'd require a totally new user interface that would support gestures, to really make a good VR version of total war. It would be cool being able to direct units with waved arms and stuff like that. You'd also want a magic carpet type view, so you could hover over a battle and direct things. You can do this with Total War currently, but the UI is a bit of a pain.

As a hypothetical, to mod the existing game, id want to do this:

- implement a viewhack or mod that would let an external program control the view etc, then write stuff to support changing the view etc VR using gestures etc. This would also give you easier control of viewpoint
- perhaps shoehorn in a voice command system to allow you to execute voice commands
adventurer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by adventurer »

your ideas are great! I can see the light of the VR Total War in the future (not sure near future) if Creative Assembly or some group of talent modders could apply your ideas to the Total War series. And this will be a marvelous addition to VR games. The feeling of being in the middle of battle fields and directing units using voices and gestures is just simply fantastic. However, I just have a small question about your ideas:
how can you pinpoint the path-finding destination for your units when the scope of VR environment is so huge (you can easily do it with the mouse and a small screen) ?
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I think going with something familiar like magic can help in these circustances. The 'sorcerer general' could be placed at a high viewpoint above the battlefield, and use a pointing device (wand, finger, staff, gun, etc) to select the formations and positions. He could not only use the pointing device to 'fly' to change his viewpoint (aim wand and go forwards), but have the advantage of commands that would allow him to do things such as zooming to a preset height at the position he is 'pointing' at. This would be the equivalent of the fast window scrolling you get when playing games like this on a monitor. Also, it would probably be handly if a laser pointer type ray could extend from the pointing device to aid aiming and unit selection.

I think this type of setup would allow you to blink around the battlefield, positioning units, but also freely move around. If the pointing device was something simple like a wand, I think it might help a lot for beginners (while being less immersive than a glove for skilled users perhaps). Its quite intuitive to use a device that just involves pointing and pressing a button.
adventurer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by adventurer »

haha, I really like to be an 'sorcerer general'. It could be so cool :) if magic wand/glove can substitute for mouse, I guess voice command can replace keyboard, and I think we will go near to have a perfect VR mod for TW. :roll:
MarshawnMan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MarshawnMan »

anything is possible bro!!
Nobody can officially see me in NBA 2k13!! Martian Goggles on deck!!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”