Best head Tracking device to use with HMZ?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
ViruzZ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Best head Tracking device to use with HMZ?

Post by ViruzZ »

Hi,
Need recommendation, whats the best head tracking device (with mouse/gamepad right stick emulation)
to use with HMZ-T1?

Thanks
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Best head Tracking device to use with HMZ?

Post by bobv5 »

I think they all emulate that. You need to be more specific. What software/games? How much can you spend? For FPS games look at http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=13771
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
ViruzZ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ViruzZ »

bobv5 wrote:I think they all emulate that. You need to be more specific. What software/games? How much can you spend? For FPS games look at http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=13771

No more then 150-200USD (for wireless)

I play games such as Fallout, Mass effect and some FPS, I dont care for flight sims...

Basically 60% 3rd person games and 40% first person games

P.S. I checked that thread many times but its confusing as hell, I mean i need a model name and a shop links, that thread is full of videos and people talking theories and stuff.

Thanks for helping me mate
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

It's full of theories because you asked a question that has no easy answer, the thread is so long, because the guys are trying to figure out a way to make it work well. I think Freetrack with a Wiimote , or Trackir would do what you are asking for, but then you would have to aim your weapons with your face. Personaly I find that awkward and not fun.

"I mean i need a model name and a shop links"

You are not going to get that from anybody who is being honest. The technology just isn't ready yet. People are are trying to make it, but it takes time.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

This thread might be more helpful.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... er+Roundup

My personal recommendation is the Sparkfun Razor, but it's not a plug-and-play type device and requires a bit of work to get going.
ViruzZ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ViruzZ »

bobv5 wrote:It's full of theories because you asked a question that has no easy answer, the thread is so long, because the guys are trying to figure out a way to make it work well. I think Freetrack with a Wiimote , or Trackir would do what you are asking for, but then you would have to aim your weapons with your face. Personaly I find that awkward and not fun.

"I mean i need a model name and a shop links"

You are not going to get that from anybody who is being honest. The technology just isn't ready yet. People are are trying to make it, but it takes time.
Cant we use mouse and mouse emulator together? Like aiming with mouse but also with head but the head is set to slowest setting so you only use it to adjust aiming but not moving the cursor all over the screen.

I understand, so there is no solution that can be purchased with drivers and all except TrackIr.

Any rumors about Palmer selling the Oculus tracker?

BTW, all games that will have Oculus Rift support will have a Head Tracking support for other products right?

Can we use TrackIr with Doom BFG edition or is it locked for Oculus Rift only?
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

ViruzZ wrote:Cant we use mouse and mouse emulator together? Like aiming with mouse but also with head but the head is set to slowest setting so you only use it to adjust aiming but not moving the cursor all over the screen.
Absolutely. Mouse and mouse emulators work simultaneously and you can scale the emulation.
ViruzZ wrote:Can we use TrackIr with Doom BFG edition or is it locked for Oculus Rift only?
Nobody know yet.
ViruzZ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ViruzZ »

brantlew wrote:This thread might be more helpful.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... er+Roundup

My personal recommendation is the Sparkfun Razor, but it's not a plug-and-play type device and requires a bit of work to get going.
What about these 2? Is tehre any drivers for them, they both wireless and one is only 129USD.

http://www.hillcrestlabs-devstore.com/s ... h-1/Detail

http://www.hillcrestlabs-devstore.com/s ... h-1/Detail
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Those Hillcrest reference devices are very easy to work. I have the wired one (it's a small as a thumbnail) and they just work right out of the box. You don't even have to run a mouse emulator. The only issue with them is that they drift over time and have some glitchy signals.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 128#p75837

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15282
ViruzZ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ViruzZ »

brantlew wrote:Those Hillcrest reference devices are very easy to work. I have the wired one (it's a small as a thumbnail) and they just work right out of the box. You don't even have to run a mouse emulator. The only issue with them is that they drift over time and have some glitchy signals.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 128#p75837

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15282

Thank you.

So if im getting one eitehr the wired (to install inside HMZ-t1) or the BT one, what soft do i need to fully use it?
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Those Hillcrest devices act as mice as soon as you plug them in, but you have no control over them. If you want control over it (ie. scaled emulation) you should download and read-up on FreePIE.

https://github.com/AndersMalmgren/FreePIE/downloads
ViruzZ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ViruzZ »

brantlew wrote:Those Hillcrest devices act as mice as soon as you plug them in, but you have no control over them. If you want control over it (ie. scaled emulation) you should download and read-up on FreePIE.

Thank you.

Is it better then GlovePIE? Win 7 x64 Compatibility?

Where do I get your piefreespace.dll? I assume its a plugin for FreePIE right?

A question, since this device automatically works as mouse emulator, what about real head tracking in future games like the Doom 3 BFG when it comes out or existing ARMA games?
Di you had any experience with any games that have real HD and this device?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I have one of the Hillcrest trackers. Seems OK to me. I have not actually played a game with it, so I can't comment of drift or anything like that. But it has mouse emulation built-in, and the SDK seems easy enough to work with for custom apps (also thanks Brant for helping w/ the code).

Though to answer your question, there is really not one clear consumer solution for head-tracking. What you have available are things like reference kits (ie a loose chip) and you need to write the software yourself. Maybe this will change soon, I don't know.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

ViruzZ wrote:Any rumors about Palmer selling the Oculus tracker?
I have heard a rumor that Oculus might be selling the Rift's tracker in a small plastic enclosure very cheaply for people who want to experiments with a low cost, high performance sensor.
ViruzZ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ViruzZ »

PalmerTech wrote:
I have heard a rumor that Oculus might be selling the Rift's tracker in a small plastic enclosure very cheaply for people who want to experiments with a low cost, high performance sensor.
Really? Who leaked you this information? ;)

Ill be waiting for it...
Zaptruder
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zaptruder »

PalmerTech wrote:
Nice. I'll have to pick one up to mod my HMZ with it.

Then I'll give my friends the HMZ while I use the rift when we do multiplayer LAN gaming.

:lol:
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Isn't a phone like an iPhone or an android an okay substitute for a dedicated wireless tracker? There's bound to be a bunch of apps out there that do mouse emulation over wifi or Bluetooth. Though, in addition to latency and jitter, they are also kind of heavy (unless you want to stick it on the back of your head to counterbalance the hmd).

Check out that thread in the FreePie forum.
ViruzZ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ViruzZ »

zalo wrote:Isn't a phone like an iPhone or an android an okay substitute for a dedicated wireless tracker? There's bound to be a bunch of apps out there that do mouse emulation over wifi or Bluetooth. Though, in addition to latency and jitter, they are also kind of heavy (unless you want to stick it on the back of your head to counterbalance the hmd).

Check out that thread in the FreePie forum.

Too big and not a permanent solution.

I want to install one inside the HMZ shell, for example the Hillcrest device is small enough to be installed inside
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

ViruzZ wrote:
brantlew wrote:Those Hillcrest devices act as mice as soon as you plug them in, but you have no control over them. If you want control over it (ie. scaled emulation) you should download and read-up on FreePIE.

Thank you.

Is it better then GlovePIE? Win 7 x64 Compatibility?

Where do I get your piefreespace.dll? I assume its a plugin for FreePIE right?

A question, since this device automatically works as mouse emulator, what about real head tracking in future games like the Doom 3 BFG when it comes out or existing ARMA games?
Di you had any experience with any games that have real HD and this device?
The piefreespace.dll is included when you install the FreePIE msi, if you have the hillcrest IMU its just a matter of writing a small script (Or load a existing one).

FreePIE have some advantages over GlovePIE, it works good in w7 / w8 (x64). It has some trackers that GlovePIE dont, but also it lacks full support of WiiMote which is a selling point for many, and also TrackIR support is not in the current version, but we are working on that for the next release. Im also hoping that my Android plugin and app will be ready for next release.

I dont own the Hillcrest but FreePIE has Freetrack support (And soon TrackIR) and works very well with Arma2, check my vid's in the FreePIE ANdroid forum for a Arma2 demo. I havent used a IMU yet that do not introduce to much lag or drift for my taste. I might live in a magnetic environment, because no IMU tracker wants to work well in my home :P

I PM:ed Carmack about Doom3 BFG because I wanted to know which interface he was going to use for the head tracking so the FreePIE team could have support for that ready, but he never got back to me so I dont know which interface they will support.
benz145
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by benz145 »

PalmerTech wrote:
That's one well-sourced rumor right there! : P
space123321
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by space123321 »

benz145 wrote:
PalmerTech wrote:
That's one well-sourced rumor right there! : P
These are the best types of rumors - direct form the source :D
mwarren
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mwarren »

PalmerTech wrote:
I was planning to experiment with DX.com's $20 "GY-80 BMP085 9-Axis Magnetic Acceleration Gyroscope Module for Arduino", but having the tracker from OculusVR might lead to better out-of-the-box integrations.

N.B. The DX.com module chipset includes these four sensors:
  • L3G4200D  - STMicroelectronics MEMS motion sensor: ultra-stable three-axis digital output gyroscope
  • ADXL345    - Analog Devices 3-Axis, ±2 g/±4 g/±8 g/±16 g Digital Accelerometer
  • HMC5883L - Honeywell Three-Axis Digital Compass IC
  • BMP085     - Bosch Digital pressure sensor

geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

You can also get an STM32F3DISCOVERY dev kit that has built-in accellerometer, gyro, and magnetometer. They are only $11USD, and they are nicely hackable:
http://www.taylorkillian.com/2013/01/re ... -from.html

I have a couple of them...
What I lack is spare time to play with them. :-(

Of course, I would rather have the Oculus tracker, but I would have to wait until it is available.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”