Idea: Piggyback onto AAA video productions for Rift content.

Libertine
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Idea: Piggyback onto AAA video productions for Rift content.

Post by Libertine »

Hey, i thought this would be a fantastic idea if it was viable. Basically, i thought it would be nice if we had some high-FoV, 3D content for the Oculus Rift like the shows that Nova produces. Heres an example of something that i think would be amazing with a High FoV and accurate ipd 3D.

Building the Great Cathedrals
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/bu ... drals.html

But thats not the idea, since i assume people have already thought of that. The idea is, instead of paying a studio to make this specialized 3D content, instead, just pay them to use high-FoV, 3D cameras while filming the content they were already going to make and licence/buy the content for Rift users. They can crop the film for their needs easily and send the raw edit to Oculus. I really feel that shows similar to the one above would make for an excellent, top tier 3d experience for anyone, not just gamers. Something people will use laying back on their couch and enjoy being taken to another world. And it doesn't all have to be perfect, just good enough to start some serious demand and add even more compelling value to the product.

Also, the film should be "window to the world" dimensionality. Not movie 3D, where the subject matter is constantly put at screen depth, regardless of its real world position. So the cameras would be parallel, keeping it simple. Maybe a 6.3cm 'ish separation, 6.5cm being the average interocular?

Heres some other ideas for subject matter just to illustrate the idea better: Underwater diving, Flying, Cave exploration, Space/Nasa, Tourism (ie, GlobeTrekker TV show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdAcLSk6G_Q), documentaries, etc. Another good one i think would be content from tested.com -would [could?] those guys NOT be interested in something like this? Give them the cameras, them just let them do their thing at E3 or whatever since they make 2 -3 hours plus videos already -a great way to "go" to E3 for those of us who can't get in.

Maybe theres an astronaut in the International Space Station who could film some content for us or maybe Nasa would -seems like something they'd be interested in.

EDIT: How about instead of buying special cameras for them, maybe there is simple a lens (fresnel?) attachment that could just be placed onto the end of the camera. That way, they just need two of their existing cameras.
Last edited by Libertine on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mAchiNE

Re: Idea: Piggyback onto AAA video productions for Rift cont

Post by mAchiNE »

There is already 3D footage of the International Space station (taken for IMax), maybe the existing footage can just be pre distorted in software to be used on the Rift?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290296/
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
Additives
Cross Eyed!

Post by Additives »

mAchiNE wrote:There is already 3D footage of the International Space station (taken for IMax), maybe the existing footage can just be pre distorted in software to be used on the Rift?

Hey, I saw that when it was screening!

@Libertine I am actually trying to get my head around making a DIY lens for Canon DLSR's (because I have a canon DSLR) that will give side by side 3D, and then getting some custom lens filters ground to match the Oculus distortion. The only problem is that my entire knowledge base for optics comes from either high school physics or general photography, so I am having trouble with the idea of focusing 2 lenses each onto half of the CMOS sensor appropriately.

The other trouble is whether or not such a filmed experience would even be viewable for the majority of people. IMAX is a good example of what I mean. When I lived in Sydney, we used to go the worlds biggest imax all the time, until 'we' went from a group of 5 to a group of 10, and suddenly 30% of the group got horrendously sick during IMAX films with any sort of fast camera movement. The large screen, which in this case translates to high FOV, was inducing motion sickness. I am eagerly awaiting my Rift to see how much of a problem forced camera movement actually is in practice.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Is IMAX footage in IMAX aspect ratio and FOV actually available anywhere? Or do we need to smuggle high FOV cameras into IMAX screenings and record them?
Skaven252
Cross Eyed!

Post by Skaven252 »

I've been exploring 3D POV videos combined with binaural sound. I figured the Rift would be an excellent device for viewing those. Virtual tourist experiences.
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

Additives wrote: @Libertine I am actually trying to get my head around making a DIY lens for Canon DLSR's (because I have a canon DSLR) that will give side by side 3D, and then getting some custom lens filters ground to match the Oculus distortion. The only problem is that my entire knowledge base for optics comes from either high school physics or general photography, so I am having trouble with the idea of focusing 2 lenses each onto half of the CMOS sensor appropriately.
I know this is off topic but this might be helpful for what you are trying to do, you could use a DSLR Loreo 3D Lens in Cap which already focuses 2 lenses each onto half of the CMOS sensor, then all you need to do is add a pair of custom filters to pre distort the image for the rift. Hope this helps :)
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

Additives wrote:
mAchiNE wrote:There is already 3D footage of the International Space station (taken for IMax), maybe the existing footage can just be pre distorted in software to be used on the Rift?

Hey, I saw that when it was screening!

@Libertine I am actually trying to get my head around making a DIY lens for Canon DLSR's (because I have a canon DSLR) that will give side by side 3D, and then getting some custom lens filters ground to match the Oculus distortion. The only problem is that my entire knowledge base for optics comes from either high school physics or general photography, so I am having trouble with the idea of focusing 2 lenses each onto half of the CMOS sensor appropriately.

The other trouble is whether or not such a filmed experience would even be viewable for the majority of people. IMAX is a good example of what I mean. When I lived in Sydney, we used to go the worlds biggest imax all the time, until 'we' went from a group of 5 to a group of 10, and suddenly 30% of the group got horrendously sick during IMAX films with any sort of fast camera movement. The large screen, which in this case translates to high FOV, was inducing motion sickness. I am eagerly awaiting my Rift to see how much of a problem forced camera movement actually is in practice.
Lens: Interesting, so all that would be needed is one camera, and to maintain the resolution needed for non-Oculus content, they would just need to double the resolution setting of the camera, or switch to a camera with double the resolution? That sound ideal, since pairing up two camera and filming with that seems potentially difficult a some situations.

FoV: Im convinced that at least for 3D, people can condition themselves to it. It went away after the first day, 700 hours of 3D gaming, still none. On AVS forum there were several posters recently that said some of their family members no longer have discomfort. I wasn't surprised as i hear that a lot. I had only a little eye discomfort when i first started using my 3D setup, but i had been viewing cross-eye 3d photos on and off the week before that and i wonder if that had something to do with it. As far as FoV goes, not sure, but don't people usually complain about low fov causing motion sickness and suggest a higher FoV as a cure? One thing is for sure, if Oculus started working deals with production companies, they should probably send some simple guidelines along, at least as soon as they know what the guidelines should be.
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

2EyeGuy wrote:Is IMAX footage in IMAX aspect ratio and FOV actually available anywhere? Or do we need to smuggle high FOV cameras into IMAX screenings and record them?
I bet its available, but i wonder if they would consider the Rift a competing product. Maybe not, at least not until after they tried one, lol. Theres so many people out there that think 3D is just a gimmick and i think its mainly due to conservative 3D dimensionality and locking the convergence to the focus, keeping subject of each at screen depth and ruining any chance of the "window to the world" type of dimensionality. I think thats where Oculus will really shine, if it uses that type of 3D content. Hollywood movies will look as underwhelming as they already do on the Oculus, i assume.

With this idea btw, it might be better to get on with 2D productions rather than 3D, because 3D producers are going to want to modify the convergence i would assume, again, ruining the window-to-the-world look... We want the cameras pointed straight forward for the best natural look.
wuliheron
Cross Eyed!

Post by wuliheron »

Libertine wrote:
2EyeGuy wrote:Is IMAX footage in IMAX aspect ratio and FOV actually available anywhere? Or do we need to smuggle high FOV cameras into IMAX screenings and record them?
I bet its available, but i wonder if they would consider the Rift a competing product. Maybe not, at least not until after they tried one, lol. Theres so many people out there that think 3D is just a gimmick and i think its mainly due to conservative 3D dimensionality and locking the convergence to the focus, keeping subject of each at screen depth and ruining any chance of the "window to the world" type of dimensionality. I think thats where Oculus will really shine, if it uses that type of 3D content. Hollywood movies will look as underwhelming as they already do on the Oculus, i assume.

With this idea btw, it might be better to get on with 2D productions rather than 3D, because 3D producers are going to want to modify the convergence i would assume, again, ruining the window-to-the-world look... We want the cameras pointed straight forward for the best natural look.
Imax is just another kind of movie theater. You can already buy their movies that have already finished their run at the theaters and the only question is whether sales for the Oculus would make it worth their while to convert them to the appropriate format.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Libertine wrote:With this idea btw, it might be better to get on with 2D productions rather than 3D, because 3D producers are going to want to modify the convergence i would assume, again, ruining the window-to-the-world look... We want the cameras pointed straight forward for the best natural look.
Convergence can be adjusted when playing a 3D movie, unlike separation which is burned in. So you would just need someone to go through and tag each scene with a convergence adjustment, and have the player apply those convergence adjustments when playing it.
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

wuliheron wrote:Imax is just another kind of movie theater. You can already buy their movies that have already finished their run at the theaters and the only question is whether sales for the Oculus would make it worth their while to convert them to the appropriate format.
There are two kinds of IMAX: large flat screens, and spherical screens (IMAX dome, or OMNIMAX). The flat-screen IMAX films may or may not have been filmed with a deliberately wider field of view than regular films, so there's probably not any benefit to looking at these using the RIFT than looking at a regular film. Converting them to work with the RIFT would be exactly the same process as viewing any other film on the RIFT.
OMNIMAX films, however, have to my knowledge not been released on any sort of consumer media. Scanning and digitising these would be expensive, but the RIFT opens up a new market for them that did not previously exist. As well as the costs of scanning, the other barrier would be developing a standardised playback format: you'd need to map the scanned frame to a spherical virtual surface with a head-tracked viewpoint in the centre. To have a reasonably future-proof format, you'd need each frame to be stored at a pretty high resolution. There's already the infamous debate over what resolution is necessary just to handle digital projection of flat IMAX films due to the sheer size of the sideways 70mm frame, with consensus hovering around a single frame requiring 70megapixels to sufficiently sample it (8K provides around half this at 33Mpix). Because OMNIMAX films are stetched over a larger area, you want to retain as much of this as possible. Even for modern processors, just rendering 70Mpix a frame at 24fps is not an easy task, to say nothing of the storage requirements or the bandwidth needed. With newer intel CPUs including 4k hardware accelerated decoding, you might be able to get away with decoding a frame and picking a visible subset of it to push to the GPU for rendering with the correct warp.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

EdZ wrote:There are two kinds of IMAX: large flat screens, and spherical screens (IMAX dome, or OMNIMAX).
Both these formats also have 3D variations. I think the format which should be the best fit for the Rift would be the IMAX Dome in 3D, also known as Solido (180x123° FOV). There have been very few movies produced in this format and to my knowledge they've never been released for the consumer market, just like the IMAX Dome/Omnimax as you said.

Here's the list of movies in this format I gathered so far :
- Arthur, the 4D Adventure (2009) ;
- Sea Monsters 3D (2007) ;
- Deep Sea 3D (2006) ;
- Space Station 3D (2002) ;
- T-Rex: Back to the Cretaceous 3D (1998) ;
- Race for Atlantis (1998) ;
- Into the Deep (1994) ;
- Echoes of the Sun (1990).

Return to “Oculus VR”