Question about Samsung UN46ES6500

Own a 3D HDTV? Trying to learn about the latest and greatest? Post here!
havok2191
One Eyed Hopeful

Question about Samsung UN46ES6500

Post by havok2191 »

Hello All,

I have a question about the Samsung ES6500 series.

What kind of 3D modes does this TV support?
I wanted to know if it supports 3D interleaved as I wanted to do a bit of 3D Gaming, 1080p @ 60hz on an active set as I hear butmunch says it blows passives out of the water. I have a 3D Vision 2 Kit and a 3D monitor (Asus VG236) currently and I wanted to get a bigger screen for my room.

I live in Toronto, Canada so I would appreciate if someone can recommend me some 3D TV's that can do 1080p@60hz 3D for around 1299.99$ before taxes.

My dad works for Leons so he is able to get me discounts. I can choose from here: http://www.leons.ca/electronics/televis ... D-tvs.aspx
If anyone has any better deals please tell me.

I am aware that passive 3DTVs can use the EDID hack to achieve interleaved 1080p @ 60Hz 3D but I keep hearing that the quality is lower.

Look forward to hearing from you guys

Thanks
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Question about Samsung UN46ES6500

Post by cybereality »

The problem is that no current HDTVs support 1080P @ 60Hz over HDMI 1.4a. This is due to a limitation of HDMI chipsets on the TVs. You can do 1080P @ 24Hz for Blu-Ray movies, but for gaming you are limited to 720P. If you go with a passive FPR TV, then you can feed an interleaved signal directly and bypass this limitation, but you will still be splitting the resolution between the eyes.

That model TV you mentioned sounds decent, but only supports HDMI frame-packing and SBS/over-under modes. It doesn't support interleaved or checkerboard, which may look marginally better (at least for gaming).

Honestly, I would not worry too much. Even 720P still looks decent. Not the best but still acceptable quality.

Also, if you have an Nvidia card and want to use the Nvidia 3DTV Play software, check on Nvidia's site to make sure the TV is supported.
havok2191
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by havok2191 »

Hey thanks a lot, cyber, for clearing that up :)

Are there any active TVs in my price range that support 1080p@60hz interleaved 3D?
Do you recommend any of the Passive/Active 3D TVs on the leons site?

I know to stay away from LG due to crazy problems I keep hearing about so I guess I'm pretty much stuck with the Toshiba models and if I am going that route I can choose between the 47L7200U and the 42/47L6200U. Now I'm not sure how great the input lag is and what the pixel response is. My primary purpose is playing 3D games over watching 3D Movies.

Are Passive 3DTVs capable of output true 1080p at lower frequencies (Hz)?

I have 3D Vision software so do I still need to pay for 3DTV Play?

Is the Sammie better at pixel response and input lag than the Toshi

I'm also wondering if true 720p@60Hz is comparable to 1080p @ 60hz Interleaved 3D?

My dad said that the Picture quality of the Samsung was a tad better but the 7200U was comparable and not too different. Also the Sammie comes with 2 pairs of the expensive glasses and the 7200U comes with 4 but those are cheap.

Sorry for all the questions but I tried to segregate this post with some color tags :P.

Thank you so much cyber :)

EDIT:
System specs:
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.2 Ghz
8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
EVGA Signature GTX 680
Asus VG236H with 3D Vision 2 kit
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Even if an active set supported interleaved, it would have to up-scale this to a full-frame image, so its not clear how much of a quality benefit you would see (for example, over 720P).

Honestly I have not seen any of those TVs and I don't know how they compare. I bet they are all decent, though, and should be good enough.

Passive TVs have a physical film over the LCD screen which make it locked into interleaved mode. There is no way to support any other format natively, if it does it just converts it to interleaved internally. So even if you use HDMI 1.4a frame-packing (or SBS, etc.) ultimately you are still looking at an interleaved signal at the end.

If you have the Nvidia 3D Vision emitter plugged into the PC, you can use 3DTV Play for free. Otherwise its $40. In any case, you need to use the glasses that come with the TV (not Nvidia glasses).

1080P interleaved looks slightly better than 720P frame-packed (upscaled to 1080P), but the difference is not huge.

Really I think the biggest question you should ask yourself is if you want an active or passive display. They both have pros and cons, so its a matter of preference.

Return to “3D HDTVs”