FOV2GO FOV and Other Questions

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Qoheleth
One Eyed Hopeful

FOV2GO FOV and Other Questions

Post by Qoheleth »

I'm doing a project for a class where we have to talk about some piece of technology. I chose HMDs. As part of the project I wanted to have the classroom experience some HMD technology so I chose FOV2GO. I just got my 7x aspheric lens today and bought the other materials I needed.

The FOV2GO uses 7x Aspheric lens. How do you determine/calculate FOV?

Also, I haven't built the housing for the smartphone yet (I am using a Samsung Galaxy SII, which is slightly smaller than the Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy Note for which there are specific templates), but I've looked at the FOV2GO app by holding up the lenses to my eyes. I adjusted every which way, but I always see the left and right edges of the screen. I'm wondering if this is because my phone is too small or if FOV2GO was designed this way. I assumed that the edges of the screen would not be visible.

It is still quite immersive though and I can't wait for the Oculus Rift :D
Last edited by Qoheleth on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobjwatts
Cross Eyed!

Re: FOV2GO FOV and Other Questions

Post by bobjwatts »

Hi Qoheleth! Nice topic for your talk!

From my experience using phones FOV2Go style is that you will always see the edge of the screen because the phone screens are just too small, even with 7x.

I could be wrong though.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”