What do I do now?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
T3rra
One Eyed Hopeful

What do I do now?

Post by T3rra »

After all suggestions I got from you guys here I thought to myself, well there are plenty of professionals working on the technology so whats the point of me doing it? I mean this applies to a whole bunch of areas of VR, after all i'm just a n00b....

Anyways what I do know (sorta) how to do is drawing. Aside from the technology that would go into the HMD (and bad at that) I also worked on ways to implement (god now I feel like I'm so behind.... I mean I am, but jeez....) anyways, it midgame...

Like for example I used to take martial arts, and one of the things I was thinking was a "class" in game where you shadow box the movements of a martial arts teacher/different levels of difficulties. Like it could show you a punch, and you would have to follow the line the punch followed, and finish in a circle where your fist ends.... cool no?

or the different ways to use a sword, and same concept, follow the ghost of the movement to pull of a special attack....
and there would be different levels of difficulties, the easy would be a bigger circle with little to no force (so long as your hand finished within range ((a larger circular area)) of the end of the punch.... while medium and harder modes decrease the size of the circle/sphere and you would have to use more force - like you would in a martial arts class.....

Also if anything I could look into how much it would cost to rent out a paintball area, electricity, gas, all that stuff......

Is that a good direction to go in? What do you guys think?
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: What do I do now?

Post by PalmerTech »

Read all of the big threads in the VR sections, learn from them. Learn programming, or at least basic game design in something like Unity (I am bad at both of those things, but even knowing enough to communicate with the people who are good at them is very useful).
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well I would say to stick around and read as much as you can on these forums. There is a lot to learn from.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Also, don't think that there is no point in working on this stuff. There is an opening for enthusiasts to make a real difference in VR research because there aren't a lot of "pros" working on many of the problems that must be solved. Just have some humility about your current capabilities and start learning!
JohnnyGrant
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JohnnyGrant »

Interesting Topic :) I work as a 3D Artist for videogames and I´m also a child of the eighties, my first and last VR experience was Dactyl Nightmare with the standup Virtuality Unit in the 90´s and it was like a dream. I´m very happy about the success of the Oculus Rift and it makes me feel like those times are coming back again! I would love to help out with some of those technical issues that need to be solved for us to have a more immersive experience, but i don´t know anything about programming. I have an idea for a videogame that is based purely on VR and the sensation that you have when you are inside the game but i don´t know if it´s a too big challenge for myself and so i´m looking for anyone interested in developing such a game. With more people i think it would be possible to make things work :) My idea is based on this small clip:

http://vimeo.com/1166968

basically the hero (you!) would be able to manipulate those electromagnetic fields to acomplish things in the game :) but I would need to see my hands in the game for it to be perfect. Let me know if anyone is interested in hearing more of the story :) Cheers
T3rra
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by T3rra »

thanks for the encouragement guys, deeply appreciate it....
what I meant tho was, I mean if VR needs an artist, why not look for a video game designer? I don't have anything special to offer that a level designer can't give you (I think anyways) and my situations a little tough :/ I can't, or not yet, go to college because of my status and financial standing :/ ehh, getting away from the point....

I mean there are a bunch of other guys out there, why pick me? I just feel so unbelievably inferior....I dunno, something, always, in the back of my mind says, hey, hang in there, everything will be okay....

So after thinking about it, I've decided, I think short term I want to work at a gamestop (for video game reference, makes living easier lol) and get back to my artwork on the side, look back into poker (for extra income) and keep VR in mind, I was looking at paintball arenas and compiling a list of all objects that can be changed to give the game a more..... realistic feel. I saw the arenas they played in.... and as "fast" as they were, they lacked reality. maybe I should become the authority on map layout and items found in game and......

:P lol, another wild thought perhaps?

thats what I'll look into for now, report back later with some stuff, perhaps I'll get my printer working, and scan a drawing :P

thanks a bunch!
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

T3rra wrote:thanks for the encouragement guys, deeply appreciate it....
what I meant tho was, I mean if VR needs an artist, why not look for a video game designer? I don't have anything special to offer that a level designer can't give you .....
I think the most important think to keep in mind is that if you want to accomplish things, you also need to become a creator, not just a dreamer. So start reading and applying what you learn, no matter how inferior you may think it is.... it's a step in the right direction and don't underestimate how much you can learn in just a few months let alone a year.

You seem to have the enthusiasm and determination, now all you need is discipline!
Looking forward to seeing your creations ;)
T3rra
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by T3rra »

mahler wrote:
T3rra wrote:thanks for the encouragement guys, deeply appreciate it....
what I meant tho was, I mean if VR needs an artist, why not look for a video game designer? I don't have anything special to offer that a level designer can't give you .....
I think the most important think to keep in mind is that if you want to accomplish things, you also need to become a creator, not just a dreamer. So start reading and applying what you learn, no matter how inferior you may think it is.... it's a step in the right direction and don't underestimate how much you can learn in just a few months let alone a year.

You seem to have the enthusiasm and determination, now all you need is discipline!
Looking forward to seeing your creations ;)
that was really kind f you, thank you. You're right, I think, I complain alot about what I'm doing,... sometimes I feel like a child, but....I dunno.....-shrug-

anyways how does this sound?

What would you guys want designed for a t-shirt? like you know how restaurant dress code is all black? what about for a VR location? I was thinking about revolving the design around the planets (My VR layout is called "Nexus" basically in the game, you live in the future, on a starport with gateways to the universe (imagine a giant space port with multiple gateways to the other sides of the universe, other planets and lifeforms, sounds cool no? cause I mean my future interpretation of VR is we all enter (a giant hotel) a futuristic city, with 8 doorways properly positioned around it (it's circular) and everytime you enter a door, you are transported to that "world". I dunno maybe I need to explain that properly lol.... anyways what would the staff in that world wear? I'm going to design a t-shirt based on the people who live in the starport - like scientists and head honchos and.....other stuff, like a white long trench coat with blue designs on it, actually I came up with that possibly before AC3, I think........

what would you guys suggest?
Zaptruder
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zaptruder »

Figure out where you're at. What's your skill level. How much time and effort do you need to develop your skill base before you think you're ready to produce something useful?

Project forward in time and think about the state of the industry. What technologies and substrates are going to be in place? What can help improve the world from that point? The best is when these things are only achievable once that stuff is there.

Then develop your skill sets, point yourself towards that target and have at it. If you're lucky, you'll get there just in time and become successful.

If you're not, you've still developed valuable skills including the ability to predict and act.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Download Unity 3d, play with it.

I have come up with some cool stuff just using the included example code.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”